Cancelled the Breakaway through the 23rd

jetact

Just got an email. 

Dear Valued Guests and Travel Partners,

We are working to navigate the fluid public health environment while delivering a safe and healthy onboard experience. Today, as a result of COVID-related circumstances, we decided to cancel Norwegian Breakaway cruises with embarkation dates through and including January 23, 2022.

8 minutes ago, jetact said:

So true, as my flight to New Orleans leave in 16 hours. Well time to figure out where I am going for the next  week

I was driving on Saturday morning, and had a nice hotel booked for that night.  Cancellation deadline for the hotel was yesterday.

6 minutes ago, mvh said:

My guess is the Bliss is next.  Why not just cancel all ships at the beginning of the week?  This makes no sense. You can't tell me they are just finding this out now.

Looks like the Carnival glory is leaving the same day. I am seeing if I can get on it

• Like 2

1 minute ago, jetact said:

Looks like the Carnival glory is leaving the same day. I am seeing if I can get on it

I was just looking at Carnival website before I saw this.  I can book the Valor for similar dates, if they cancel Breakaway for the 30th sailing.

4 minutes ago, GroundHog1961 said:

We just booked this last night, I find it hard to believe they didn't know. 

We don't even know why they are cancelling these cruises, so how do we know when they should have known?  If it's crew COVID cases maybe they just got a bunch of test results and too many were positive.  If it's low occupancy maybe they just dropped below the point where it's better to cancel.

• Like 4

We were scheduled for the 1/16 trip but took POM Monday.  I'm okay with that, most of this cruise was paid with FCC from a variety of cancelled cruises, including "cancellation bonuses", so I wouldn't have gotten much real cash back.  And I'm already booked for same cruise in April.

Guess we'll never know WHY it cancelled...economics, Covid outbreaks, crew shortages? Maybe too many cancellations?  They need to do whatever keeps their business afloat, glad I'm not the guy that makes these decisions.

• Thanks 1

Two of the three of us traveling on the 1/16 Breakaway cruise tested positive for covid last week.  I have been trying to get all the back up I would need to file for insurance.  Just got my PCR results and dropped off the note at the doctor for him to fill out.  I got the letter of cancellation when I got back in my car.  This makes everything so much easier for me.

• Like 3

Wonder what the reason is, cancelling next 2 weeks.  Some type of outbreak?

We were booked to be on Breakaway this week but cancelled.  Today is supposed to be Harvest Caye, Belize; and tomorrow Costa Maya.

(Also found out NCL suddenly stopped doing PCR tests for people returning to countries requiring PCR test, which would've required us an unexpected Cad$900 cost)

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Karaboudjan said:

We don't even know why they are cancelling these cruises, so how do we know when they should have known?  If it's crew COVID cases maybe they just got a bunch of test results and too many were positive.  If it's low occupancy maybe they just dropped below the point where it's better to cancel.

My guess is all of this is it is indeed at least partially related to not having enough critical crew members to operate the ships with passengers..  Last week I thought perhaps the plan was to transfer crew from the canceled sailings to those still sailing.  Just a thought.  There could be other factors, I am sure. 

RCCL has been transferring positive crew members to two ships.  At the same time, crew completing the required isolation period return to the sailing ships.  This has been happening for a few weeks.  Those two ships are in the Caribbean. One is at Coco Cay, with many reports and photos of the transfers happening, including multiple ships maneuvering into position to follow each other.  

We’ve been booked for the Breakaway on Jan 23rd for months. Just got the cancelation email this morning. It’s a bummer but at least it gives us time to figure out what we want to do before we leave Phx next Thursday. We could stay at Harrahs NO with comped rooms for the entire length of what would have been our cruise but we’re thinking that could be a costly week of gambling. Now we’re leaning to changing our airline tickets and just coming home early. NOLA is a fun place to go but I’m not sure about spending 11 days there. Especially since we’ve been there dozens of times.

I agree with other cruisers who say NCL should just cancel all their cruises until all the Covid stuff settles down. The not knowing if your cruising or not is a nuisance. Especially when your flying to get to and from the pier.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, GamblingHabit said:

We’ve been booked for the Breakaway on Jan 23rd for months. Just got the cancelation email this morning. It’s a bummer but at least it gives us time to figure out what we want to do before we leave Phx next Thursday. We could stay at Harrahs NO with comped rooms for the entire length of what would have been our cruise but we’re thinking that could be a costly week of gambling. Now we’re leaning to changing our airline tickets and just coming home early. NOLA is a fun place to go but I’m not sure about spending 11 days there. Especially since we’ve been there dozens of times.

I agree with other cruisers who say NCL should just cancel all their cruises until all the Covid stuff settles down. The not knowing if your cruising or not is a nuisance. Especially when your flying to get to and from the pier.

Thats it, we leave tomorrow morning from Portland first this and we are still going to NOLA but I cant stay there for the entire week. I am working on Orlando now. 

1 hour ago, GroundHog1961 said:

It would be better if they just shutdown like they did last year instead of jerking people around. I feel bad for those of you that are on their way to NO

i gotta admit even 'i' wouldnt book at the super cheap haven pricing if given out today . the writing is on the wall. 

• Like 1