Cancelled the Breakaway through the 23rd

jetact

46 minutes ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

What is this "Doctor's note?"  Doesn't NCL just need to see the PCR results?

When I called on Monday to cancel, they said they could give me FCC but to get my money back I had to go thru insurance.  I called insurance and they sent me a form for my doctor to sign saying I could not cruise for medical reasons.  I was able to schedule a PCR test for Tuesday last week when the home test was positive.  

5 hours ago, mking8288 said:

Gem still doing round-trips out of NY still "not cancelled" yet ??? for this month, I think. 🙊

Ooops, noooooo - sorry, folks - I jinz it and should've kept quiet - posted live a short while ago - https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2823993-gem-january-9-19-cruise-canceled/

10 hours ago, DwayneG said:

glad I'm not the guy that makes these decisions.

Believe me, the guy that makes this decision is strictly a numbers guy or gal. Zero emotion. He/she is going to bed at night with not a care in the world whether it sails. Even if the absolute worse thing happens and NCL folds, that person is getting their Golden Parachute money.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, mking8288 said:

Ooops, noooooo - sorry, folks - I jinz it and should've kept quiet - posted live a short while ago - https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2823993-gem-january-9-19-cruise-canceled/

8 hours ago, mertziek said:

And current Gem cruise turning around and returning to NYC tomorrow.

That IS the current Gem cruise, Jan. 9-19.  (The thread title confused me as well for a minute, since we're well past Jan. 9. The cruise hasn't been canceled, it's being cut short.)   

5 hours ago, bigrednole said:

Believe me, the guy that makes this decision is strictly a numbers guy or gal. Zero emotion. He/she is going to bed at night with not a care in the world whether it sails. Even if the absolute worse thing happens and NCL folds, that person is getting their Golden Parachute money.

I agree 100% with you. FCC on NCL is going to be basically worthless, I truly believe they will fold.  Why are they the only line dropping like flies in the last two weeks?  If Bliss is cancelled I will be happy to jump ship and go to a real cruise line.

Just now, GroundHog1961 said:

I'm not sure we will ever be able to use our FCC. Even if we can, with the prices going up for the next year cruises we won't be able to book without throwing additional money in.

We paid cash for our cruise and I don't care how great of any offer we may get, if they cancel our cruise I'm taking cash back and not FCC.  It sounds like FCC has been a nightmare for some people,

8 hours ago, mvh said:

I agree 100% with you. FCC on NCL is going to be basically worthless, I truly believe they will fold.  Why are they the only line dropping like flies in the last two weeks?  If Bliss is cancelled I will be happy to jump ship and go to a real cruise line.

Same. They seem to be making frantic decisions these past few days. 

NCL is not the only cruise line canceling cruises. RCCL and Holland America have canceled quite a few. Holland America is is playing thw musical cabins game. Every weekend Through March they are canceling sailings and moving everyone into just one ship to sail. Their reservations are so low that even moving 1 and sometimes 2 ships into the third ship they are still at 50%.They of course are using their newest ship Rotterdam to move everyone to so many are not too upset that they are changing ships but they are also getting different itineraries. The kicker is they are automatically moving everyone and you have to opt out to cancel and it is Future Cruise credit or 100% refund no future discount like NCL is doing.

NCL does not have multiple ships on the same day or the next day in the same port to be able to do something like this. 

It is all a numbers game, their fuel and provision cost a lot, when the numer of passengers drop below a certain percentage it cost them far more to do the cruise that to continue on with only 3 or 4 hundred passengers.

My guess it was also the perfect storm of crew still testing positive for covid, shore side workers and stevedores testing positive or just calling out. If you cannot process them to get them on the ship an half your crew are quarantined it is also hard to run a smooth operation.

I too was extremely dissappointed that Breakaway canceled, I had just gotten home and received my CVS negative test results to find out we were canceled. I should have jumped and attempted to change flight to MIA and get on the Encore, but pretty sure that Haven was already sold out with the upsells. We had booked this cruise with FCC in November 2020, we have now had 6 NCL cruises canceled and 3 Holland America. But on the bright side we have cruised 3 times since last July with the last one being this past November on the Bliss so we feel very fortunate. I honestly do not think NCL is hurting they are just looking out for both passengers, crew and of course the bottom line. 

We will so all be cruising again.

My phrase for the weekend is...Negative Covid Test and No Where to Go  😄

• Like 3