Newbie - Book through cruise line website or travel agent?

wonderfultravels

Hello,

Happy New Year. I am thinking of booking a cruise on the P&O Iona from Southampton to Norway in June 2022.

We are in the USA, any advice on how to get a good deal on the reservation?

1. Book directly through the website? Is there a US version?
  2. Any TA recommendations?
  3. Any other recommendations?

I remember several years ago there was an option on this website or some connected to this website had the function to receive bids from TA's on a cruise reservation?

Thank you

wonderfultravels

Howdy @wonderfultravels emo22.gif

Please note the top left corner of this page next to the Cruise Critic logo. You can click there to find cruises & deals. Here is a snip of the area:

image.png.ab659cf8bb8c554df7a48c943b874890.png

And yes, we cannot name or even hint the names on the message boards of travel agents, travel agencies, cruise line "personal cruise consultants" or any of the other venues by which cruises can be purchased. See the Travel Agent Recommendations and Advertising is Not Allowed  sections in the Guidelines we all agreed to follow when registering for our free Cruise Critic memberships.

Perhaps something in the following Cruise Critic articles will help you:

Finding a Cruise Travel Agent Last updated August 31, 2021

What to Look For in a Travel Agent In The COVID-19 Era Last updated July 07, 2021

What to Expect on a Cruise: Booking With a Cruise Line Last updated January 08, 2020

What to Expect on a Cruise: Booking a Cruise With a Travel Agent Last updated January 08, 2020

Secret Agent Deals: How to Find Prices Cruise Lines Don't Offer Last updated October 10, 2019

Hope this will be helpful and glad to have you back aboard the message board! emo35.gif

Happy sails,

Host Kat emo32.gif

I would goggle cruise travel agents in the area you live, i.e. Boston.  Since you are a newbie, I do recommend you work with an agent.   Use a well know firm.  A good agent can steer in the right direction.  I have been cruising for 30+ years, with a lot of experience I book directly with cruise lines but that is because I know what I want.  

I would also suggest that you read the P&O boards here for general information.  

It's best to prepare yourself by reading on the P&O board here.  Since not many North Americans, particularly from the US travel on P&O, I doubt you will find many travel agencies in the US who book them.  Perhaps P&O market in Canada, but they do not market in the US.  EM

I second the recommendation to look at the P&O board.  There have been some interesting posts about the pros and cons of various cabin grades  on Iona.

Personally, I think the OP should book through a TA, but over the phone,  not on line, so the various cabin choices can be fully explained.

But booking P&O cruises from the US is not easy - Good Luck. 

Edited by wowzz
  • Like 1

Just me, but book direct with cruise line. There is more chance that a TA will go out of business than the cruise line. With everything that is going on, i think it is better at this time, to deal with the cruise line direct particularly if it all goes pear shaped.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gerryuk said:

Just me, but book direct with cruise line. There is more chance that a TA will go out of business than the cruise line. With everything that is going on, i think it is better at this time, to deal with the cruise line direct particularly if it all goes pear shaped.  

Might be different in the US, but with our UK agent, payment  goes directly to the cruise line. The TA does not hold client funds, so if the TA does go under, you have no money at risk.

1 hour ago, wowzz said:

Might be different in the US, but with our UK agent, payment  goes directly to the cruise line. The TA does not hold client funds, so if the TA does go under, you have no money at risk.

In the USA, a credit card payment should show as directly to the cruise line. If it shows otherwise, beware that is not an ethical TA.

• Like 1

On 1/20/2022 at 10:17 AM, wowzz said:

Depends on the agent, ours holds client funds in a ring fenced account until after the holiday, your contract is with the agent, not the cruise company or hotel/airline, who are legally sub contractors. Financial arrangements between agent and suppliers vary regarding payment in advance, or arrears. 

If the cruise line's UK office is ABTA bonded you have as much protection legally as you would using a TA, given the Package Holiday Regulations, and relevant sections of trading standards regulations. 

A good TA gives you advice and customer service, as well as sorting any issues that occur before, during or after travel. You should get a named contact person who will oversee your booking. Ideally they will have an emergency contact person in the country you are travelling to. 

Note, you need a bespoke travel agent, not a package holiday firm. 

Edited by KBs mum

On 1/20/2022 at 12:12 PM, ontheweb said:

In the USA, a credit card payment should show as directly to the cruise line. If it shows otherwise, beware that is not an ethical TA.

It's the opposite in the UK, companies that do this are notorious for messed up bookings and poor customer service. They often use legislative loopholes to avoid paying out refunds and compensation. 

With a reputable UK agent, you pay them, then they pay the cruise line, which is likely what wowzz's agent does. 

Edited by KBs mum

On 1/16/2022 at 7:16 PM, Host Kat said:

Howdy @wonderfultravels emo22.gif

Please note the top left corner of this page next to the Cruise Critic logo. You can click there to find cruises & deals. Here is a snip of the area:

image.png.ab659cf8bb8c554df7a48c943b874890.png

And yes, we cannot name or even hint the names on the message boards of travel agents, travel agencies, cruise line "personal cruise consultants" or any of the other venues by which cruises can be purchased. See the Travel Agent Recommendations and Advertising is Not Allowed  sections in the Guidelines we all agreed to follow when registering for our free Cruise Critic memberships.

Perhaps something in the following Cruise Critic articles will help you:

Finding a Cruise Travel Agent Last updated August 31, 2021

What to Look For in a Travel Agent In The COVID-19 Era Last updated July 07, 2021

What to Expect on a Cruise: Booking With a Cruise Line Last updated January 08, 2020

What to Expect on a Cruise: Booking a Cruise With a Travel Agent Last updated January 08, 2020

Secret Agent Deals: How to Find Prices Cruise Lines Don't Offer Last updated October 10, 2019

Hope this will be helpful and glad to have you back aboard the message board! emo35.gif

Happy sails,

Host Kat emo32.gif

Got a question on this point.  Lots of people use the term "big box travel agency" to describe the agency who is not to be named since we all know what that means.  Isn't this a violation of the CC policy?

DON

On 1/22/2022 at 10:05 AM, donaldsc said:

Got a question on this point.  Lots of people use the term "big box travel agency" to describe the agency who is not to be named since we all know what that means.  Isn't this a violation of the CC policy?

DON

Yes, since the phrase refers to a venue where cruises can be purchased that is not a cruise line, it is not allowed. 

Remember, since Cruise Critic does not review messages before they are posted and cannot read through the thousands of messages posted each day, we depend on all Cruise Critic members for help. As stated in the Guidelines"We encourage you to utilize the reporting system built into the board system; you'll find a Report a Post icon located in the upper right hand corner of the posting. Use it! We will review the report and take appropriate action." For more information, please see How To: Report a Post. Note where it states the following: "When done with your message, click Submit Report. Your part is done at that point. Please do not quote or reply to the reported post. Your quote or reply post as well as any other posts or quotes concerning the reported post or thread will be removed from sight along with the reported post." 

Also, the volunteer Hosts and paid Administrators will review your Report post report when they can. I say "when they can" because all e-mails and Report post reports to Cruise Critic are answered in order of receipt. With almost two million members and some sending e-mails and reports 24/7 from all over the world, please be patient for any action. Please remember the Hosts are non-paid volunteers and work the boards when their real life permits. Most Administrators work regular weekday business hours.

And anytime you wonder why posts have been removed from sight, please note the discussion of the management of this Community, including post removals or any rule of participation, is not allowed on any of the boards. Any questions, comments or feedback about the management of the boards and/or the Guidelines should be via email to LauraS, Community Manager at community@cruisecritic.com from your Cruise Critic email address of record. Be sure to mention your Cruise Critic user name. This is so your membership can be verified and reply sent to your Cruise Critic email address of record. If your current Cruise Critic email address of record is no longer correct and needs to be updated before you send your email, please see the following for instructions: How to: Change your Cruise Critic Email Address or User Name

Due to this thread having so many removed posts and quotes of removed posts creating "holes", it now looks like a big ol' hunk of Swiss cheese and is closed. 🧀

• Like 1