What's worthwhile at Cozumel?

FiremedicMike151

Have our first Celebrity cruise coming up in October, a 4 night with a single stop in Cozumel.  We're leaning towards the all inclusive beach day (I can't believe how cheap it is!) but we are definitely open to suggestions if there is a "must do" excursion. 

As you give me your thoughts, my wife is NOT adventurous (despite being an ER nurse, lol).

Thanks!

Other possible options

Look for a local hotel day pass..with pool and lunch. Take a taxi there.

Or  try a nice restaurant in town..shop for  good silver jewelry...

There is/was a pharmacy at main X pier, and a store that sells/sold everything from sunscreen to alcohol to souveniers. You must walk thru the vendor area to get to the streen..main X pier.  Other pier..u are right in the town.

• Like 1

We have always gone to Nachi Cocum.  They only take 100 people, easy taxi from cozumel to facility. Private palapas, drink runners, all inclusive, nice beach, clean facility, massages, lunch included.  They also have a pool and hot tub.  Check it out and book early 

• Like 2

Another vote for Nachi, assuming you want a quiet, relaxing beach day with good food, drinks and great service.  If you want water toys, etc. then try Paradise Beach - all-inclusive or pay as you go, with good facilities, a HUGE pool and good food/service (try the taco truck!). Taxi to either will run about $15-17 each way.

Have a great cruise! 😎

• Like 1

4 hours ago, blueslily said:

Has anyone taken a ferry to Playa del Carmen or somewhere else other than staying at Cozumel? 

Not something I personally have done, as I would do the mainland from a mainland vacation - plenty to do on Cozumel for a day visit. Lots of reviews and discussions from previous cruisers if you search this forum.

However, depending on pier you dock at, port hours, what you want to do on the mainland - perhaps take a ship excursion, or study the current ferry schedule carefully. Depending on Covid restrictions at the time you visit ( revised weekly) the ferry schedule could change.

Since this  thread is “What’s worthwhile in Cozumel?” I would suggest you start a new thread if you have specific questions. 

1 hour ago, c-leg5 said:

Not something I personally have done, as I would do the mainland from a mainland vacation - plenty to do on Cozumel for a day visit. Lots of reviews and discussions from previous cruisers if you search this forum.

However, depending on pier you dock at, port hours, what you want to do on the mainland - perhaps take a ship excursion, or study the current ferry schedule carefully. Depending on Covid restrictions at the time you visit ( revised weekly) the ferry schedule could change.

Since this  thread is “What’s worthwhile in Cozumel?” I would suggest you start a new thread if you have specific questions. 

Thanks for the reply. I'm ok. Just was curious about that specific question. Thanks

52 minutes ago, blueslily said:

Thanks for the reply. I'm ok. Just was curious about that specific question. Thanks

Just a “heads up” - not sure how familiar you are with the distances involved. 

You are probably OK if you only want to go to Playa - although unless you have been many times to Cozumel not sure why you would want to. Unless you dock in town you would need a taxi to and from ferry pier, in addition to ferry crossing. For mainland tours cruise line will charter a ferry directly to their pier snd will wait if excursion is delayed for some reason. 

When Covid started the ferry service was severely impacted and reduced. It had got back to normal capacity and schedule, I believe but since Quintana Roo has just returned to “Orange” and increased restrictions, (with a possibility of moving back to “Red”) I would plan very carefully if your sailing is in the near future. 

Edited by c-leg5

5 minutes ago, c-leg5 said:

Just a “heads up” - not sure how familiar you are with the distances involved. 

You are probably OK if you only want to go to Playa - although unless you have been many times to Cozumel not sure why you would want to. Unless you dock in town you would need a taxi to and from ferry pier, in addition to ferry crossing. For mainland tours cruise line will charter a ferry directly to their pier snd will wait if excursion is delayed for some reason. 

When Covid started the ferry service was severely impacted and reduced. It had got back to normal capacity and schedule, I believe but since Quintana Roo has just returned to “Orange” and increased restrictions, (with a possibility of moving back to “Red”) I would plan very carefully if your sailing is in the near future. 

Thanks. 

• 2 weeks later...

C-Legs is right!  Your teens will be bored at Nachi - head to a beach club with water toys.  IMHO Paradise beach is a better option than Sanchos, especially if you use the pay as you go option.  Their AI is more expensive than others.

• Like 1

On 2/8/2022 at 8:21 PM, Softball20 said:

We like Chen Rio and the beaches on the "other side" of the island.  Quiet beaches, good margaritas.  It's about a 20-30 minute cab ride.  

How do you get back from the other side? I have heard there aren't many taxis hanging around to give rides. Do you make arrangements in advance? Have you had any problems getting back?

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, SG65CB said:

How do you get back from the other side? I have heard there aren't many taxis hanging around to give rides. Do you make arrangements in advance? Have you had any problems getting back?

In the past we have arranged with the driver to pick us up at a certain time.  We always also arrange the price with the driver right up front.  There was only one time, many, many years ago where it was a bit dicey getting back as our driver didn't make it back, but none of the other cab drivers would take us because we already had an arrangement with our guy. Luckily, we always allow plenty of excess time for our return, just in case.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SG65CB said:

Depending on how far round the other side you want to go I would have a driver for a negotiated number of hours on a cruise ship trip. I would be more wiling to risk it on a land visit but you can’t rely on cell service in the middle of east side and there are limited waiting taxis.

If you aren’t doing full circuit Mezcalitos/Punta Morena/Rastas might be OK but personally I like piece of mind to get back to ship.

We have arranged for a driver to come back for us once but I knew the driver and we were only at Punta Morena.

Edited by c-leg5
  • Like 1

On 2/7/2022 at 2:24 PM, c-leg5 said:

Sanchos or personally with kids Paradise Beach.

My friend and I went to Nachi about a year before Covid hit.  It was a nice beach and fairly quiet, but I was unimpressed with the food.  We went based on all the positive reviews about food and service at the time.  We go in March 22 to Cozumel and I think we will do Mr. Sanchos this time, even though it may be louder with music playing, etc.