Grand World Voyages October 2023 and January 2024

3 hours ago, Tampa Girl said:

This is apparently a change on HAL's part.  The 2024 WC is also being sold in segments or, as one veteran poster has commented, more like a "HO HO" trip.  Also, there have been posts, pointing that they Grand Voyages usually don't sell out.  I don't know how accurate that is.  I thought that the 2023 WC has been sold out.

Actually, I am a fan of Segments.  That's why I was interested an earlier comment that there would be 2 Segments.  I'd plan some road trips in Australia and NZ, then join the ship for the trip back north.  (If the world is in better shape than it is now, obviously).

HAL will likely hold off and offer the unsold cabins as segments.

On 2/4/2022 at 12:23 PM, weeislayman said:

This is what caught my eye.  2 segments.  Does anyone know if this right?  I would think that HAL would try and sell the entire cruise, before offering segments, but if anyone has info, pricing, etc, please point me in the right direction...
Thanks,
Ronnie

I had looked at several web sites when I booked this cruise and don't recall which one I saw reference to 2 segments. Since I wasn't interested in doing just a segment I didn't pay much attention to it but do remember 1 was to AU and the other was back to San Diego (believe it was from AU). This is such a fabulous itinerary I was surprised segments would be offered as I believe the cruise will be a sell out. 

Strongly suggest you contact your travel agent or Hal for segment information. 

• Like 1

Saw email … it’s the weekend so no one at the works desk and regular phone e agents of no help… but hubby is wanting to do Africa … so I used link in my email… and I was able to secure a no cost 5 day hold on that… I have sl

e questions so will put down our deposit this week once i  chat with them..   EXCITED for 2023!!!

• Like 1

17 hours ago, boze9999 said:

These "9  Grand Voyages" are all segments of the 2024 Grand World cruise.  Nothing to get excited about and, in fact, somewhat discouraging.  This really is beginning to look like a HO-HO cruise.  Part of the attraction of a Grand Voyage is the togetherness that develops from fellow cruisers throughout the extended period.  

• Like 1

18 hours ago, vinonme2 said:

I had looked at several web sites when I booked this cruise and don't recall which one I saw reference to 2 segments. Since I wasn't interested in doing just a segment I didn't pay much attention to it but do remember 1 was to AU and the other was back to San Diego (believe it was from AU). This is such a fabulous itinerary I was surprised segments would be offered as I believe the cruise will be a sell out. 

Strongly suggest you contact your travel agent or Hal for segment information. 

We booked a segment of the 2024 WC, Honolulu to Singapore, due to the itinerary. So, HAL is booking segments, or at least this one, now.  Just Fyi.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, ssawjo said:

We booked a segment of the 2024 WC, Honolulu to Singapore, due to the itinerary. So, HAL is booking segments, or at least this one, now.  Just Fyi.

Are you fully booked, cabin number and all, or did they take a deposit and waitlist you? 
We booked the Singapore - Ft. Lauderdale segment back when this was the 2022, and they took a large deposit and waitlisted us. 
Once they lock in a cabin for a segment, it’s lost for the full cruise and either books segment by segment or sails empty.

1 hour ago, Tampa Girl said:

These "9  Grand Voyages" are all segments of the 2024 Grand World cruise.  Nothing to get excited about and, in fact, somewhat discouraging.  This really is beginning to look like a HO-HO cruise.  Part of the attraction of a Grand Voyage is the togetherness that develops from fellow cruisers throughout the extended period.  

I do understand they are segments of the WC @Tampa Girl. However, it's highly unusual for segments to be offered so early. And interestingly, a cruise article/interview with Gus Antorcha seems to share some HAL concerns, post-covid, about the future of long (ie full World Cruises) vs shorter grand voyages. We are already seeing some of that on these boards with a number of folks jumping off the 2024 WC and moving to the Grand Australia RT from San Diego .....Time will tell.....

1 hour ago, boze9999 said:

I do understand they are segments of the WC @Tampa Girl. However, it's highly unusual for segments to be offered so early. And interestingly, a cruise article/interview with Gus Antorcha seems to share some HAL concerns, post-covid, about the future of long (ie full World Cruises) vs shorter grand voyages. We are already seeing some of that on these boards with a number of folks jumping off the 2024 WC and moving to the Grand Australia RT from San Diego .....Time will tell.....

I was also surprised that the segments have been offered so early.  I noted that all classes except Signature Class suites are still open.  Your noted the interview with Antorcha does seem to suggest that he may be implementing that with the 2024 WC.   Thanks for pointing that out.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, summer slope said:

We are booked for the Ft Lauderdale to Honolulu segment.  Deposit taken and Verandah guarantee.  No cabin assigned.

We considered that segment, but ended up booking the whole WC.

I may be in the minority here, but WC segments are a fabulous opportunity to get otherwise unheard of itineraries.  We like to do long land and sea trips.  We spent a month in Australia/NZ, then got on the 2019 WC from Sydney to Amsterdam, and spent a month in Scotland with family.  We love these kind of trips.

Sometimes, I read somewhat negative comments about 'segmenters' on CC.  Our experience was very positive.  The full WC folks were fine, no-one said anything negative to us.  We met nice people, enjoyed their stories of the earlier portion of the WC, and we made good friends.

I just don't understand the thinking that a WC on a 1,200 pax ship is somehow to be only for the 800 or so full WC pax.  It's not a private yacht, and if HAL didn't sell as many cabins as they do, prices for the full WC would be higher.

I am certain that HAL would fill the WC with full WC passengers - if the demand was there.  There are no segments (yet) for 2023 WC, probably due to the large number of folk from cancelled WC's.  No doubt that HAL thinks that the demand isn't there to fill 2024.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, boze9999 said:

Actually, many of the Grand AU posters booked it for the fabulous itinerary and the cruise being San Diego R/T - thus avoiding the long, long flight. 

Since it departs the same day as the 2024 WC, a cruise choice had to be made.  Being a 94 day cruise versus 128 was not a factor. 

2 hours ago, vinonme2 said:

Actually, many of the Grand AU posters booked it for the fabulous itinerary and the cruise being San Diego R/T - thus avoiding the long, long flight. 

Since it departs the same day as the 2024 WC, a cruise choice had to be made.  Being a 94 day cruise versus 128 was not a factor. 

I think HAL screwed up offering the WC and Grand Australia at the same time.  Both cruises would sell better if the GA was offered in mid to late September.  That way they aren’t competing with each other.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, KirkNC said:

I think HAL screwed up offering the WC and Grand Australia at the same time.  Both cruises would sell better if the GA was offered in mid to late September.  That way they aren’t competing with each other.

You are probably very right, the timing clashes. The cruises though that I've seen to Australia all seem to be very early in the year and traditionally the WC has always had that spot on the calendar. 

10 hours ago, vinonme2 said:

You are probably very right, the timing clashes. The cruises though that I've seen to Australia all seem to be very early in the year and traditionally the WC has always had that spot on the calendar. 

The grand Asia is always in the fall and includes numerous stops in Australia.  It goes in late September.  The grand Australia is similar as it takes awhile to actually reach Australia so it would be spring/early summer when you got there.

14 hours ago, weeislayman said:

We considered that segment, but ended up booking the whole WC.

I may be in the minority here, but WC segments are a fabulous opportunity to get otherwise unheard of itineraries.  We like to do long land and sea trips.  We spent a month in Australia/NZ, then got on the 2019 WC from Sydney to Amsterdam, and spent a month in Scotland with family.  We love these kind of trips.

Sometimes, I read somewhat negative comments about 'segmenters' on CC.  Our experience was very positive.  The full WC folks were fine, no-one said anything negative to us.  We met nice people, enjoyed their stories of the earlier portion of the WC, and we made good friends.

I just don't understand the thinking that a WC on a 1,200 pax ship is somehow to be only for the 800 or so full WC pax.  It's not a private yacht, and if HAL didn't sell as many cabins as they do, prices for the full WC would be higher.

I am certain that HAL would fill the WC with full WC passengers - if the demand was there.  There are no segments (yet) for 2023 WC, probably due to the large number of folk from cancelled WC's.  No doubt that HAL thinks that the demand isn't there to fill 2024.

Historically the WC does not sell out full segments.  2023 maybe an exception as it rolls 2022 into it. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, KirkNC said:

The grand Asia is always in the fall and includes numerous stops in Australia.  It goes in late September.  The grand Australia is similar as it takes awhile to actually reach Australia so it would be spring/early summer when you got there.

Yes, you are right; I was thinking of non Grand cruises.  I did the last Grand Asia/South Pacific (2018). We left Seattle Sept. 23 and were in AU in Nov. 18-29th whereas this 2024 Australia cruise leaves San Diego Jan. 3 and arrives in AU Jan. 29.  If the 2024 Australia cruise began in September, the cruise would be ended before the world cruise. I wonder how many would book both cruises.

On 2/6/2022 at 10:44 AM, Horizon chaser 1957 said:

Are you fully booked, cabin number and all, or did they take a deposit and waitlist you? 
We booked the Singapore - Ft. Lauderdale segment back when this was the 2022, and they took a large deposit and waitlisted us. 
Once they lock in a cabin for a segment, it’s lost for the full cruise and either books segment by segment or sails empty.

Cabin is guaranteed and they did take a "large" deposit.

29 minutes ago, Alberta Quilter said:

Just out of curiousity, because I probably can't go, how much is the deposit for either GV?  I'm more interested in the Australia one but I'd imagine the the WC deposit would be a good indicator.  Thanks!

my deposit for an outside cabin on Grand Australia was $2,500. I hope you can join up.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Alberta Quilter said:

Just out of curiousity, because I probably can't go, how much is the deposit for either GV?  I'm more interested in the Australia one but I'd imagine the the WC deposit would be a good indicator.  Thanks!

$2500 USD for the Australia one. 

2 hours ago, Alberta Quilter said:

The 2018 89-day Grand Asia was $5,000.  The 2024 WC for a Signature Suite was $7,000.  A $2,500 deposit for a 98-day 2024 Grand Australia is a bargain!

• Like 2