Grand World Voyages October 2023 and January 2024

Thanks very much for the responses.  Rich, I doubt I'll be able to come on this one as I'm still working and plan to be working for a few more years.  So, unless I win the lottery and am able to retire earlier, this one is just a dream for now.  While I appreciate that US$2500 might be a bargain, it's more than I want to deposit with a company that isn't fully operational yet for something that I'm likely not able to do in two years.  Just too iffy for me.  But for those of you who do get to go, I hope you all have a great time!  Maybe  they'll have it again in about 7 or 8 years!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tampa Girl said:

The 2018 89-day Grand Asia was $5,000.  The 2024 WC for a Signature Suite was $7,000.  A $2,500 deposit for a 98-day 2024 Grand Australia is a bargain!

HAL wants to get you hooked, smart!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, ssawjo said:

Cabin is guaranteed and they did take a "large" deposit.

Oh wow, that is wonderful for you! They didn’t used to confirm segment bookings until they were fairly sure there would be no more full cruise bookings.
Makes sense the cabin is a guarantee. That way they don’t end up loosing several cabins of the same class for full cruise bookings when each is only booked for one segment. Have a great time!

Edited by Horizon chaser 1957

I just booked the GA cruise, very excited!  I have not previously taken a cruise over 30 days but have been looking at a world cruise for a few years. After the 30-day cruise I was not thrilled to get off the ship so I believe I will be OK. Baby steps to that WC!

This is a great way to see that area of the world without the (awful) plane ride. JMHO..LOL.

Also, cruising solo.

FYI - I am in an ocean view stateroom; my deposit was also $2500.

Stay safe and have a good day! ☺️

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, Cruisercl said:

I just booked the GA cruise, very excited!  I have not previously taken a cruise over 30 days but have been looking at a world cruise for a few years. After the 30-day cruise I was not thrilled to get off the ship so I believe I will be OK. Baby steps to that WC!

This is a great way to see that area of the world without the (awful) plane ride. JMHO..LOL.

Also, cruising solo.

There are many solo’s on the WC.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cruisercl said:

Also, cruising solo.

If you were "not thrilled" to get off the ship after 30 days, you will have no problem with a 98-day or a 128-day cruise.  You will love it!

• Like 2

On 2/6/2022 at 2:44 PM, KarefreeKaren said:

Also, the Zuiderdam is a much larger ship that they are now trying to fill for Grand World Voyages—much prefer the smaller Volendam size.  

I'm not sure of your point, but I also prefer the R class.  However, if we want to take a WC, there is no choice.  It should be noted, however, that the 2023 WC started out with the Zaandam, and it has since been changed to the Zuiderdam.  Who knows - perhaps  if the 2024 doesn't sell enough, they will rescale back to the R class.  That comes under the heading of wishful thinking.  

36 minutes ago, Tampa Girl said:

I'm not sure of your point, but I also prefer the R class.  However, if we want to take a WC, there is no choice.  It should be noted, however, that the 2023 WC started out with the Zaandam, and it has since been changed to the Zuiderdam.  Who knows - perhaps  if the 2024 doesn't sell enough, they will rescale back to the R class.  That comes under the heading of wishful thinking.  

Only mentioning the reason they are probably selling segments so early on the Grand World is due to the larger ship that has to be filled.   And, now it appears there are many electing to sail on the smaller Volendam on the Grand Voyages.  Either one would be a fantastic voyage!!!! 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, KarefreeKaren said:

Only mentioning the reason they are probably selling segments so early on the Grand World is due to the larger ship that has to be filled.   And, now it appears there are many electing to sail on the smaller Volendam on the Grand Voyages.  Either one would be a fantastic voyage!!!! 

The itinerary on the Grand Australia is a real winner, and the smaller ship is a real asset for these Grands because they can get into smaller ports.  I suspect that, depending  on how well the Zuiderdam WC's sell, that HAL will go back to the R class for the WC's.  I hope, at least, that they will bring the library back to the Zuiderdam for these Grand voyages.  Fingers crossed.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
19 minutes ago, Cruise Junky said:

Gutted that GA is on Volendam. No balconies except suites.  Would have booked that itinerary in a heartbeat. 

It's a wonderful itinerary; don't give up. Why not book a cabin and have your travel agent notate on your listing that you want to be put on a balcony available status and also ask the agent to monitor for any balcony availabilities. People cancel, agencies book blocks of cabins - this far out it's a very good chance you'll get a balcony cabin. 

23 minutes ago, vinonme2 said:

It's a wonderful itinerary; don't give up. Why not book a cabin and have your travel agent notate on your listing that you want to be put on a balcony available status and also ask the agent to monitor for any balcony availabilities. People cancel, agencies book blocks of cabins - this far out it's a very good chance you'll get a balcony cabin. 

Does she even have regular balconies?  Thought they were sold as suites at 2x the cost of an ocean view 

Edited by Cruise Junky

26 minutes ago, Cruise Junky said:

Does she even have regular balconies?  Thought they were sold as suites at 2x the cost of an ocean view 

Look at the Hal web site, "The Experience" and that shows each ship. The balcony cabins are referred to as suites but if you do some comparisons,  you will see that the Vista Suites are balcony size.

As with just about any cruise, a suite is always going to be double the price of an outside. That is not unique to this cruise.

A good travel agent is a very valuable tool for you to have. 

18 minutes ago, vinonme2 said:

Look at the Hal web site, "The Experience" and that shows each ship. The balcony cabins are referred to as suites but if you do some comparisons,  you will see that the Vista Suites are balcony size.

As with just about any cruise, a suite is always going to be double the price of an outside. That is not unique to this cruise.

A good travel agent is a very valuable tool for you to have. 

I disagree. Zuiderdam’s World Cruise is not double the price for a balcony over an Outside.  I do have a good agent, I just don’t like the ship. 

1 hour ago, Cruise Junky said:

Gutted that GA is on Volendam. No balconies except suites.  Would have booked that itinerary in a heartbeat. 

We also wish the cruise would be on a larger ship with regular balconies...but we took a deep breath and booked one of the lowest category Vista Suites (only 4 on the ship, all sold now).  I couldn't imagine 94 days without a balcony, especially on a warm weather cruise like that one will be.  Since it will be the only Grand Voyage we ever do, we jumped on it.

• Like 3

55 minutes ago, Cruising-along said:

We also wish the cruise would be on a larger ship with regular balconies...but we took a deep breath and booked one of the lowest category Vista Suites (only 4 on the ship, all sold now).  I couldn't imagine 94 days without a balcony, especially on a warm weather cruise like that one will be.  Since it will be the only Grand Voyage we ever do, we jumped on it.

I’ve put a 24 hour hold on it. The itinerary is amazing. 

1 hour ago, Cruise Junky said:

I disagree. Zuiderdam’s World Cruise is not double the price for a balcony over an Outside.  I do have a good agent, I just don’t like the ship. 

You are correct. I checked my notes from when the 2023 WC came out. On the Zaandam, Cabin C (ocean view) was $70,628 and Cabin A (Vista suite) was $109,028. So it's a 56% increase. Hefty difference, but not double. I didn't compare the prices when the ship changed to the Zuiderdam as all cabin classes weren't available.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Cruise Junky said:

The balcony cabins on the R class (Volendam), however, are larger than those on the Vista class (Zuiderdam).  Like many other CC'ers, I much prefer the R class, especially on Grand Voyages because they can get into more ports.  I am quite disappointed that the 2024 WC is on the Zuiderdam, but it is and we will be sailing on it.  Hopefully.... 

On 2/7/2022 at 11:26 AM, Alberta Quilter said:

Just out of curiousity, because I probably can't go, how much is the deposit for either GV?  I'm more interested in the Australia one but I'd imagine the the WC deposit would be a good indicator.  Thanks!

Booking in Canadian was $6250 for the 2 of us