Favorites / secrets / tips....anything NON covid related.....

famof4togo

So I come here to daydream happy thoughts of my upcoming vacation (learn a few things too)...and while I understand the necessity for it I am SO OVER the posts on covid/mask/testing/vaccine's etc....and thought we needed some more "fun" threads to get us through our workday (if you are like me lol)....SO I know this topic has gone around a million times if you've been on this board for a while but for the newbies and those maybe going on their first cruise etc it might be insightful...

What are your favorites...be it employee, meal, location to sit and watch the sunset etc etc etc....or what are some secrets either to cruising or to a specific ship?  Maybe not so much secret but a helpful hint, tips, packing tidbits that others may not have come across or think of etc...

• Like 6

Not really a secret but we always get at least a balcony room (what we have for our upcoming June Mardi Gras trip) and we love to sit on the balcony and either watch the sun go down or later at night and just stare off into the distance and listen to the waves crashing. There is something just so serene about the ocean.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

On certain ships, definitely all the Vista class, there is a smaller version of the breakfast buffet in the Ocean Plaza.

Also, for those in Family Harbor rooms, their lounge also has a small breakfast buffet, snacks through out the day, coffee and their own soft-swirl ice cream machine.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I'm going to need to go on more cruises before I can really have favorites, LOL.

We loved the thalassotherapy pool in the spa area of Carnival Splendor and it's something I look for now, especially when coupled with a spa cabin.

I love Sea Day brunch. It's actually the only thing I really like about sea days.

• Like 5

You never have to take the pizza that is sitting out, you can always request a fresh made one but of course that will take longer.

If you are not aware the rooms are very dark and have no clock so if either is needed pack for that accordingly...also, I find hanging a cloth pin at the bottom of the shower curtain will keep it from sticking to you while in the shower.  

Clear tape over luggage tags is a good idea.

Lanyards for easy card access is handy.

One I just learned myself....no straws on board except ones made out of candy so if need be bring your own straws.

Edited by famof4togo
  • Like 5

If our Cabin is anywhere near the gym/spa and it is shower time, husband always throws his robe on and heads to a shower in the gym, they are rarely used and huge compared to shower in Cabin and usually have multiple shower heads, and I have shower in Cabin to self.

Edited by cellfree
  • Like 5
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, cellfree said:

If our Cabin is anywhere near the gym/spa and it is shower time, husband always throws his robe on and heads to a shower in the gym, they are rarely used and huge compared to shower in Cabin and usually have multiple shower heads, and I have shower in Cabin to self.

Good tip too for say those who have 4 to a room and everyone is trying to get ready for elegant night etc....

• Like 3

We always spend a few extra dollars for a Deluxe ocean view cabin. There is a seperate bathroom with a very short but deep bathtub[ I prop my legs on the wall] and sink in addition to the bathroom with shower, toilet and sink.  

We live in an area with such severe and constant water rationing that we didn't even put a bathtub in our home, only a shower. So, for me, having a bathtub is a big part of my vacation. I wish there were balcony cabins that had a second bathroom for only a small ammount more. If there is can anyone share which ship?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, vicky3vicky said:

Here's something I want to know the answer to. Can I play on the penny slot machine and only bet one penny at a time?

I don't think so. Penny machines will have at a minimum 30 lines and you would have to bet 1 cent a line so 30 cents total.

I do remember seeing machines that allowed you to pick how many line (so you could do 1 line at 1 cent), but I don't remember seeing thsoe anymore.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, let's go cruising said:

Cool! Like what? (Want to day-dream.)

Last cruise I really wanted a supreme type pizza with veggies, pepperoni, ham. So did our friend. We had made nice with them and we ended up with fresh whole supreme pies and our wives got fresh pies. No real waiting in line either. Love the pizza onboard. Then we had to get soft serve after. 😂 

• Like 5

4 hours ago, Cruise, J.D. said:

Yes, the "secret decks" are fun to find and usually no one is there. 

I would just point out that even if you think you are alone out there, the windows lead to cabins. So if you are getting loudly amorous, you may have someone who can hear you. I was the one IN the cabin. I yelled out that they were being heard after I got very tired of hearing them. Also, be kind and be quiet out there especially late at night. 

3 hours ago, hurricane0226 said:

Red Frog pub on the inside on certain ships have a happy hour on embarkation day, and sometimes on a port day, half price on buckets of beer, and certain cocktails. Was just on the Pride, and had the happy hour on her.

And often trivia in the evenings, the winners get a free fishbowl drink as their prize. 

For newbies—if your ship has an Italian restaurant, you can get lunch for free there. And if it has a Mongolian Wok, go the first day as the lines will get LONG. 

One of my favorite things is afternoon tea. It just makes me feel spoiled. I went on my cruise in October. I was one of 7 people. Soon, a couple joined me. The servers kept pushing food on us. It was hilarious. They had all these cakes etc and no one to eat them. The couple ended up taking a whole cake with them to share with some friends. It was really fun because we got to just sit and chat with the staff for like an hour. 

And I love coming back to my cabin in the evenings to find it all straightened up, with the bed turned down and the lights on low. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, momof3cruisers said:

One of my favorite things is afternoon tea. It just makes me feel spoiled. I went on my cruise in October. I was one of 7 people. Soon, a couple joined me. The servers kept pushing food on us. It was hilarious. They had all these cakes etc and no one to eat them. The couple ended up taking a whole cake with them to share with some friends. It was really fun because we got to just sit and chat with the staff for like an hour.

This is something we just recently tried. I believe it was easy to miss because it wasn't listed under activities, but food, and on the last day. By the last day, I wasn't exactly wondering what food was available. The tea time was a nice thing to do.

• Like 4

Bring a small extension cord if you are on one of the older ships.  Don't bring one with a surge protector though.  They aren't allowed.  

FYI, no-one cares if you wear the same clothes for dinner more than once.  

If you want more than one appetizer, entree, dessert, order it.  They will bring it to you.  

OP,  thank you for starting this thread.  We fly out tomorrow for a 7 day on the Pride.  It's our first cruise since...well, you know...  It is finally sinking in that we are actually NOT CANCELING.  Yay!!!!!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, my kids mama said:

Bring a small extension cord if you are on one of the older ships.  Don't bring one with a surge protector though.  They aren't allowed.  

FYI, no-one cares if you wear the same clothes for dinner more than once.  

If you want more than one appetizer, entree, dessert, order it.  They will bring it to you.  

OP,  thank you for starting this thread.  We fly out tomorrow for a 7 day on the Pride.  It's our first cruise since...well, you know...  It is finally sinking in that we are actually NOT CANCELING.  Yay!!!!!

My extension cord that does not have a surge protector was confiscated in November on Carnival Horizon. They delivered it back to my stateroom the morning of debarkation.  I have always brought it and never had an issue before November 2021.

5 minutes ago, Yuridog said:

My extension cord that does not have a surge protector was confiscated in November on Carnival Horizon. They delivered it back to my stateroom the morning of debarkation.  I have always brought it and never had an issue before November 2021.

Really?  That's weird.  I will put mine in a drawer during the day then, or in my suitcase.  Thanks for the heads up.