Change Fees

sparkles48

We have taken advantage of a lower price on an upcoming cruise and were charged a $100 per person change fee from our TA.  Is this the norm?  We were ok with it until informed by a friend that Celebrity does not charge change fees.  

1 minute ago, sparkles48 said:

We have taken advantage of a lower price on an upcoming cruise and were charged a $100 per person change fee from our TA.  Is this the norm?  We were ok with it until informed by a friend that Celebrity does not charge change fees.  

I have never been charged a change fee by Celebrity.  I am using a TA for a very long cruise in 2023 and I discussed change fees with him, was told he does not do so and it is also in the agreement I signed with him when I moved my direct booking from Celebrity to his agency.  I so wish I could share the name here but alas not allowed, he has been phenomenal.

There are a couple of large TAs that charge change fees. Most do not.

One of the questions to ask when using a TA.  My question for the OP is did you book a cabin thru them at a lower group rate or receive OBC from your TA?  

My TA Expedites things, answers questions promptly, gives group discounts and OBC with no change fees.

Depending on the fare type and when you booked, Celebrity does charge a $100 fee for ship or date change. Since it is only a re-fare there should not be one. If one does apply, it is spelled out on the Guest Invoice that is sent to you. BTDT.

Edited by RTShaker

• 1 year later...

I have to cancel my 12 day cruise on Celebrity unfortunately I did not release I booked a non refundable deposit $950 but I was made aware I can change at time of cancelling to another date my question is since I am canceling a 12 day can I apply the remaining deposit to any length cruise or will it have to be  comparable to what Im canceling, basically due to unforeseen expenses I would like to downgrade to a less expensive cruise thus why I have to cancel…. Please help with info

First off, do not cancel the booking,  you have ask to move the booking to another sailing.  You want to keep the same booking number.  We recently moved a booking from a 18 N to a 10N and paid the Celebrity change fee by credit card and since the booking number didn’t change the deposit remained in place. No change fee charged by our TA.

Edited by jelayne
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

So if I’m moving a cruise booking to another cruise and I have the non-refundable deposit do I lose the $200 deposit I have placed in the first cruise plus the $200 change fee? This would be $200 deposit lost plus $200 change fee so I lose $400?

On 1/22/2022 at 11:31 AM, sparkles48 said:

This sounds to me like an agency fee and not Celebrity. Celebrity only charges if you change date or ship. Many TAs charge fees but these should be disclosed somewhere in their terms and conditions. Did the charge on your credit card show up as celebrity or as your TA agency name (or some variation of that). 

On 10/20/2023 at 12:07 AM, Patrisha said:

I have to cancel my 12 day cruise on Celebrity unfortunately I did not release I booked a non refundable deposit $950 but I was made aware I can change at time of cancelling to another date my question is since I am canceling a 12 day can I apply the remaining deposit to any length cruise or will it have to be  comparable to what Im canceling, basically due to unforeseen expenses I would like to downgrade to a less expensive cruise thus why I have to cancel…. Please help with info

Yes instead of canceling you can change to another date/sailing and pay the $100 per person change fee when you change it. The sailings do not need to be comparable in any way shape or form. The entire deposit will then transfer to the new cruise and you will most likely keep the same booking number. 

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Salf777 said:

So if I’m moving a cruise booking to another cruise and I have the non-refundable deposit do I lose the $200 deposit I have placed in the first cruise plus the $200 change fee? This would be $200 deposit lost plus $200 change fee so I lose $400?

So you would Pay $200 and then keep the $200 you already paid. If it were me I would just cancel and let them keep

the first $200 and then make a new booking when I knew what I want to do. If your deposit was more than $200 then it would make sense to pay the $200 change fee to keep that. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, zgscl said:

So you would Pay $200 and then keep the $200 you already paid. If it were me I would just cancel and let them keep

the first $200 and then make a new booking when I knew what I want to do. If your deposit was more than $200 then it would make sense to pay the $200 change fee to keep that. 

If it's a $200 deposit can I assume it was an onboard booking where you chose a ship and sail date?  If so it probably makes sense to pay the change fee and keep the same reservation number as you will retain the onboard booking OBC bonus which will be adjusted for the new cruise length and cabin category.  

Otherwise I see no real advantage to changing to another sailing over canceling as each will have the same $200 penalty.

13 minutes ago, wrk2cruise said:

If it's a $200 deposit can I assume it was an onboard booking where you chose a ship and sail date?  If so it probably makes sense to pay the change fee and keep the same reservation number as you will retain the onboard booking OBC bonus which will be adjusted for the new cruise length and cabin category.  

Otherwise I see no real advantage to changing to another sailing over canceling as each will have the same $200 penalty.

You are correct it was an on board booking well before Celebrity made all their changes so that’s what my travel agent is telling me to do pick a future cruise  I want to go on and move the reservation this way I retain all my onboard credit. That’s correct right I maintain all my onboard credit from the previous reservation? A previous post said just cancel and then rebook something when I want. But I know that I want to do this future cruise I’m moving to so I’m thinking it’s more to my advantage to change the booking correct?

If your TA is personally charging you a fee, you may want a new TA.  Some TAs charge initial planning fees, but should not charge for every thing.   I suspect it's a fee from Celebrity though.  So yes, if you have a non refundable deposit, there is  a 100 per person fee to move/ change.  This is true if booked on website, phone, through a TA, by yourself, onboard or booked as a future cruise and you have selected a discount and are now looking to move that sailing.  Don't cancel and then select new.  Just move.  If you cancel, you lose deposit ( some people have deposits higher than 100 per person).   If you only have a 200 deposit it may be a wash to cancel/ rebook since the chance fee of 200 is equal.

Edited by Shiba_Lover

2 hours ago, wrk2cruise said:

I have always lost the obc when changing an onboard booking. I am not sure if they would honor the old promo when changing dates/ships. The pricing is all now based on the new promo. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Texed said:

When you changed, did you keep the original confirmation number?   

Yes. It even says onboard booking when I get updated emails but the added credit dropped off completely 

In my experience, if you move an onboard reservation, you keep the OBC for booking onboard, which is based on length and type of cabin. 
But if there was additional OBC due to a promotion that was in effect when booked, you will lose that, if no longer offered. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, redhead9 said:

In my experience, if you move an onboard reservation, you keep the OBC for booking onboard, which is based on length and type of cabin. 
But if there was additional OBC due to a promotion that was in effect when booked, you will lose that, if no longer offered. 

Correct.  Any OBC due to the price program from the old booking is lost and you get the prevailing rate/promo of the new sailing.   However the onboard booking promo is retained.   Sometimes they inadvertently remove it but will add it back.   It's a promo code similar to "OB SALE 10to13N" which is of course adjusted based on cabin and length of sailing.

If you get the shareholder OBC that is always removed but if you re-submit the info to the shareholder department will also get added back.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wrk2cruise said:

Correct.  Any OBC due to the price program from the old booking is lost and you get the prevailing rate/promo of the new sailing.   However the onboard booking promo is retained.   Sometimes they inadvertently remove it but will add it back.   It's a promo code similar to "OB SALE 10to13N" which is of course adjusted based on cabin and length of sailing.

If you get the shareholder OBC that is always removed but if you re-submit the info to the shareholder department will also get added back.

Good to know, I will make sure to call and ask them to add back if it drops off