Chef’s Table

Does the menu vary by ship or is it pretty much set? 

Is this more of a social event with food, or is it focused around the food and wine?  We’re not really looking to make small talk at a big table of strangers, like a wedding reception. We genuinely are just going for the experience, and food and wine pairings. 

is it worth the extra money? 

11 minutes ago, MadamGorgeous said:

Is this more of a social event with food, or is it focused around the food and wine?  We’re not really looking to make small talk at a big table of strangers, like a wedding reception. We genuinely are just going for the experience, and food and wine pairings. 

The same on all ships with a bit of room for chef's flair. 

It's a long event with the food and wine with presentations the focus. You're sitting at a table with others for a few hours so there will be talking. 

Yes.

Yes. We loved it. Great interaction with Head Chef and Head Sommelier. You can choose to interact with other guests or keep to your self. Food is excellent as are wine pairings.

We did it on Anthem NYE sailing and have it scheduled for Navigator NYE sailing at end of year. Here are some pictures.PXL_20211231_232951302.thumb.jpg.51d4b8ca863d12b1409c5370ff72a596.jpg

Wine selection for the night.PXL_20211231_233352713.thumb.jpg.221f19436db2a56161d86ed5c8253988.jpg

Delicious Bread to start!PXL_20211231_233704828.thumb.jpg.600be28fef2dde66b2f70c04f9bcf9da.jpgPXL_20211231_234112288.thumb.jpg.e2cdd0e7559d05f1cca54bccdaf956bc.jpg

Course one:

Scallop Carpaccio

PXL_20211231_234352183.thumb.jpg.eb7162aa95e5df8276e95318ee466a7c.jpg

Course Two:

Smoked Tomato Soup

PXL_20220101_000755137.thumb.jpg.6823dad3853e60928ad8bead7d70627b.jpg

Course Three: ???

PXL_20220101_002543337.thumb.jpg.d4164ec085e0ab2c342bd988838f19ef.jpg

Course 4:

Roasted Branzino, which somehow did not make it on my camera..LOL! But super delicious.

Course 5:

Grilled Filet Mignon* truffle potato purée, asparagus, bordelaise sauce (simply the best steak i have ever had on an RCL ship)

PXL_20220101_012640053.thumb.jpg.c47567cb5696936304fe8e36356ad6d2.jpg

The World desert (same one you get at Wonderland)PXL_20220101_015920613.thumb.jpg.72d1a46a1cb2e7968af4c2829075d0d8.jpg

• Like 3

In our experience, the menu is the same from ship to ship and has not changed since 2014, agree with Death Star that there is some difference in presentation and taste from chef to chef.  Wine is usually pretty good.

Is it worth the money?  Most of the ones we have done were but our one on Harmony was not .  The waiter seemed nervous and not very knowledgeable regarding the wine. And he was very stingy with the wine, you would have thought he was having to pay for it😂

Sherri🙂

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, alexgtp said:

Course Three: ???

That is the butter poached lobster with hearts of palm.  Chef's Table is my favorite meal on the ship, even though the menu hasn't changed in a few years.  

2 minutes ago, sjb317 said:

And he was very stingy with the wine, you would have thought he was having to pay for it😂

LOL!  I have been to Chef's Tables where that has happened before.  Lucky for me I have no problem asking him to fill my glass again!

We are doing the Chef's Table on our March 6th Oasis sailing.  The menu is different than our last cruise - though that was back in 2017!   We really enjoyed it - though we are foodies and we love wine, so it's perfect for us! 

• Like 2

Just be aware that it's not a chef's table in the true spirit of what a chef's table is.  The menu at a true chef's table would be whatever the chef decides to prepare at that time, as opposed to a fleet-wide menu.  Also, a true chef's table is typically in the kitchen, where you can often watch as the food is prepared.

• Like 1

We love chef's table and we never miss a chance to go.  It's been our experience while the servings of wine is on the small side.  We have never left a chef's table hungry but did leave a little tipsy.  We use the excuse that we don't have to drive.  We are not required to talk but the wines loosen lips and luckily does not sink ships.  ( I think that's how it goes)

• Like 1

My husband I booked the Chef's Table for our 35th anniversary cruise, which happened to take place on the day of the big solar eclipse.  As the above poster mentioned, yes there is small talk between diners. We had a nice time.

"Then", a couple of years later, we were part of a group of 10 and we booked an entire Chef's Table, which was FABULOUS.  We highly recommend gathering a group of your own if you are not interested in small talk with other diners. 

We go to Chef's Table on most cruises.  We've never had a complaint about the quality of the food and wine.  Our last CT on Navigator was heavier on white wines than we would have liked, but they were good and the glasses kept being filled.  We will go again in 2 weeks.

My only comment to the OP is that I do believe the other guest make the evening.  The interaction with the Chef and sommelier are limited and there has always been lively conversation around the table with other guest.  Just part of the experience.  IMO

• Like 1

3 hours ago, sjb317 said:

In our experience, the menu is the same from ship to ship and has not changed since 2014, agree with Death Star that there is some difference in presentation and taste from chef to chef.  Wine is usually pretty good.

Is it worth the money?  Most of the ones we have done were but our one on Harmony was not .  The waiter seemed nervous and not very knowledgeable regarding the wine. And he was very stingy with the wine, you would have thought he was having to pay for it😂

Sherri🙂

It hasn't changed since 2014?

My pictures of Chef's Table on Anthem in 2016 are different from the pictures I had on Grandeur in 2015, but for me they started repeating the summer of 2017 (which was different from Anthem in 2016).  Since then, only the Dessert has changed, but the rest have stayed the same.  Since 2017 I've been on about 5 Chef's Table, but 2 of them were last year.

Also venue are better on some classes.  The best venue i found was on Brilliance (Radiance Class), Worst was on Navigator because we were on the landing between the two floors of the MDR which was very loud.  a close second was on Allure where we were sitting on the 2nd floor of the diamond club right through the middle of the happy hour (again, loud).

3 minutes ago, Rogueperson said:

Worst was on Navigator because we were on the landing between the two floors of the MDR which was very loud

Probably true, but with the limited passenger count, it was very quiet and never heard any MDR noise.  Hope it is the same in 2 weeks, but I can see how it could be an issue with a full MDR.

54 minutes ago, Rogueperson said:

Worst was on Navigator because we were on the landing between the two floors of the MDR which was very loud.

That's the thing about chef's tables.  They are typically in the kitchen.  That's part of the experience.  You get to watch the chef actually prepare the food.

Here's a good article about it from the Michelin Guide:

https://guide.michelin.com/en/article/features/evolution-of-the-chef-s-table

Edited by time4u2go
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, time4u2go said:

That's the thing about chef's tables.  They are typically in the kitchen.  That's part of the experience.  You get to watch the chef actually prepare the food.

Here's a good article about it from the Michelin Guide:

https://guide.michelin.com/en/article/features/evolution-of-the-chef-s-table

Princess and Carnival include a gallery tour and demonstration as well as a few courses in the kitchen.

Princess was absolutely amazing, but the only downside, i thought was it took place in the middle of the dining room.  Literally, there were people eating "regular" dinner several tables away from us and we're getting the cream of the cream.  We got a lot of stares.

There were also a course or two where the chef prepared it right in front of us.  If you haven't tried, you should.  We would have done it on Celebrity if our ship had it at the time.  (it didn't :()

• Like 1

15 hours ago, MadamGorgeous said:

In our opinion a lot of your enjoyment or lack of it will depend on your table mates.  Every time we have done Chef's Table the food and wine were excellent.  Only once was the evening ruined by a Pinnacle who seemed to think she was queen of the ship.  She simply would not shut up, kept interrupting others and made it almost impossible to hear the info about the various courses and wines.

6 hours ago, crazyank said:

In our opinion a lot of your enjoyment or lack of it will depend on your table mates.  Every time we have done Chef's Table the food and wine were excellent.  Only once was the evening ruined by a Pinnacle who seemed to think she was queen of the ship.  She simply would not shut up, kept interrupting others and made it almost impossible to hear the info about the various courses and wines.

I don’t know what a Pinnacle is but you just described the exact reason we avoid other people on cruise ships. After a glass of wine, my Philly girl comes out and I’d be the one to pull the Queens crown off 😂 

Thanks for the heads up! 

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, MadamGorgeous said:

I don’t know what a Pinnacle is but you just described the exact reason we avoid other people on cruise ships. After a glass of wine, my Philly girl comes out and I’d be the one to pull the Queens crown off 😂 

Thanks for the heads up! 

A Pinnacle is the top level in the Crown and Anchor loyalty program.  Wish you could have been there and yanked that queens crown. LOL

• Like 1