COVID testing before the cruise after March 1

AK Dreaming

3 hours ago, AK Dreaming said:

I went on the CVS site yesterday.  If you answer the questions honestly it sends you to a page for travel.  I guess it is free, if you have the sniffles.

I tried looking on the CVS website.  It sounds like it will try to bill your health insurance.  Not sure what your health insurance would think of covering the test for travel.  

Has anyone been through CVS testing travel?

37 minutes ago, Sand and Seas said:

I tried looking on the CVS website.  It sounds like it will try to bill your health insurance.  Not sure what your health insurance would think of covering the test for travel.  

We got a Covid test at CVS in NYC before our trip to St. Maarten this summer. CVS did not ask for the reason for our test. They billed our insurance and we did not pay anything out of pocket. 

• Thanks 1

Has anyone here used (or is anyone considering using) the "Inspire Diagnostics" home test? They're working directly with NCL. I would not have known about this option if the NCL rep I spoke to yesterday hadn't mentioned it. I was calling to apply our FCC to a May sailing, and she directed me to the Sail Safe page on the NCL website, which includes a link to info about the Inspire testing:

https://inspirediagnostics.com/ncl/

On the plus side, if someone in your part tests positive before the cruise, there's no need to upload proof of the positive test. I'm hesitant to try something without some reading about some real life experiences, though.

14 hours ago, Happycrafter123 said:

Yes also from canada and wondering where to get test in Disney area or how to get a test like emed that will be accepted .  Wonder if we can order and have delivered to hotel?

Earlier in this thread someone so kindly suggested to me Switch Health in Canada is an acceptable test available to Canadians. The poster also suggested to order it through Aeroplan as it is cheaper. I checked it all out and this is what we are going to use.  I’m going to order closer to our vacation and just bring it with us. I am so grateful for their suggestion and I just love how fellow cruisers look after each other! I hope this helps 😊😊

Edited by Boxersma
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, LisaLisa87 said:

Has anyone here used (or is anyone considering using) the "Inspire Diagnostics" home test? They're working directly with NCL. I would not have known about this option if the NCL rep I spoke to yesterday hadn't mentioned it. I was calling to apply our FCC to a May sailing, and she directed me to the Sail Safe page on the NCL website, which includes a link to info about the Inspire testing:

On the plus side, if someone in your part tests positive before the cruise, there's no need to upload proof of the positive test. I'm hesitant to try something without some reading about some real life experiences, though.

Also curious about the two available proctored tests - the one from Inspire Diagnostics is available in a 3-pack for $80 which would be great for testing two people and having a spare one "just in case". I hate wasting money buying the one from e-med that only comes in a 6-pack if the Inspire Diagnostics is just as good.

Canadian here and big fan of Walgreens. 

They have both rapid Antigen (BinaxNOW) and Molecular (ID Now). 

PCR is synonymous with a molecular test. 

I've had both done, and had results within an hour, on multiple occasions. 

And...it's free...just don't tell them you're a Canadian, and use an American address.

6 hours ago, Sand and Seas said:

I’ve tested through them for travel. But the cvs site, as of today, doesn’t ask any questions about travel. When it did (last summer), I indicated it was for travel and my insurance covered it completely. I’m not sure why others are saying you have to pay at cvs for a travel test, unless it’s an insurance thing with a particular insurance company. But like I said, the questions don’t even ask about travel.

Edited by FLcruisergrl
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, LisaLisa87 said:

4 hours ago, wacruiselover said:

Also curious about the two available proctored tests - the one from Inspire Diagnostics is available in a 3-pack for $80 which would be great for testing two people and having a spare one "just in case". I hate wasting money buying the one from e-med that only comes in a 6-pack if the Inspire Diagnostics is just as good.

We are doing this due to cost and not needing the extra 4 tests.  Inspire works with many cruise lines, so I feel sure the process will be smooth.  I know we could probably get a test locally, but worry that we would not make the turnaround time. 

With the two day before rule, I can't see how anyone could take the PCR test and be confident of getting the result.  

As it is, I will be looking for the quick Antigen test before I get on the plane later that same day.

Edited by Sand and Seas
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, drevil0208 said:

Not sure if I'm missing something, lots of talk about getting PCR tests and the results in time... but NCL's website says test can be PRC or Antigen?  

Exactly, I'd go for the less sensitive rapid antigen test every time if it will be accepted.

• Like 3

Just scheduled with inspire. It’s seems more streamlined than emed, and we’ll be in the city of embarkation >48 hour prior, so it will be nice to not have to search around for a testing site.

we will do the rapid antigen… it is good at determining if someone is contagious or not at the time of the test.  PCR can return positive for *months* after infection because it relies on virus fragments, not the live, whole virus

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Starflyr3 said:

Just scheduled with inspire. It’s seems more streamlined than emed, and we’ll be in the city of embarkation >48 hour prior, so it will be nice to not have to search around for a testing site.

we will do the rapid antigen… it is good at determining if someone is contagious or not at the time of the test.  PCR can return positive for *months* after infection because it relies on virus fragments, not the live, whole virus

Could you please share details why you went with inspire over emed? I am trying to decided. thank you 

We are on the Joy starting 3/5.  NCL has partnered with with Inspire to do the at home visual testing.  It was SOO easy to sign up and pick your time 2 days before cruise.  They will send a reminder.  They have a 3 test kit option for $80.  My test kits were sent out the very next day after ordering and I have a UPS email saying it will be delivered on Tuesday.  Since NCL has partnered with them, you actually check off your actual cruise and give them your reservation # along with how many are traveling.  

Edited by ravenjls
to add additional info
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, ravenjls said:

We are on the Joy starting 3/5.  NCL has partnered with with Inspire to do the at home visual testing.  It was SOO easy to sign up and pick your time 2 days before cruise.  They will send a reminder.  They have a 3 test kit option for $80.  My test kits were sent out the very next day after ordering and I have a UPS email saying it will be delivered on Tuesday.  Since NCL has partnered with them, you actually check off your actual cruise and give them your reservation # along with how many are traveling.  

Oh wow this sounds great thank you. 

This will be a problem this summer for those of us on European cruises. I arrive in Stockholm, Sweden 2 days before my Dawn cruise in August and will have to find someplace local in Stockholm to get a covid test. Hopefully local pharmacies are still going to be doing these tests and the cost won't be too high.

3 minutes ago, susiesan said:

This will be a problem this summer for those of us on European cruises. I arrive in Stockholm, Sweden 2 days before my Dawn cruise in August and will have to find someplace local in Stockholm to get a covid test. Hopefully local pharmacies are still going to be doing these tests and the cost won't be too high.

Why can't you use a proctored online test?  I would assume your hotel has WiFi.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Summerstravel said:

Could you please share details why you went with inspire over emed? I am trying to decided. thank you 

Emed requires separate 30 minute appointments per person.  I dont want to spend 2 hours sitting on the phone when I could be on the beach.  😏

Edited by Starflyr3
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, julig22 said:

Why can't you use a proctored online test?  I would assume your hotel has WiFi.

I could, but I don't want to. If it costs less to use the proctored test I will, otherwise I'll go somewhere in Stockholm and have it done right there. If thousands of people are all online trying to do a proctored test at the same time there could be problems getting in to have it done.

So, am I reading this right.  For cruises leaving after 1 March, testing at the pier is no longer required if one has done a proctored test no more than two days prior to arriving at the pier.  We're cruising on Breakaway leaving on a Sunday in March.  If this is correct, then we could do a test on Friday before departing to NOLA on Saturday.  (assuming we have negative results)

Cruises with embarkation dates beginning March 1, 2022:
At time of check-in, all guests will be required to provide proof of a negative COVID-19 antigen or PCR test result administered by a verified third party or via medically supervised home test (i.e. https://www.emed.com/ or BioReference's Scarlet service - BioReference sends a trained Scarlet Health Professional to your home to collect your COVID-19 test specimen), within two days prior to boarding for cruises originating in a U.S. port and three days prior for voyages departing from a non-U.S. port. Guests are also responsible for complying with all local health and safety requirements which may include additional testing.

2 hours ago, ravenjls said:

Sounds like a simple way of doing things. How did you order the kits? Cost? I have been thinking of using Walgreens/CVS, etc mainly because I am unfamiliar with how the those online proctored kits work. I have visions of the video link dropping off or whatever, which would invalidate the test. I suppose you used your phone for the video link? I don't have (nor want!) a camera on my desktop PC....I don't think my laptops have a camera either.

Doug

Ok, so I might be ignorant here.  I am not seeing anywhere on the NCL Sail Safe page where CVS is an acceptable option for testing.

Can anyone please provide location that CVS is acceptable.  The anxiety of this testing process is making me reconsider.

Thanks for your time

1 hour ago, wilsonsmw said:

Ok, so I might be ignorant here.  I am not seeing anywhere on the NCL Sail Safe page where CVS is an acceptable option for testing.

Can anyone please provide location that CVS is acceptable.  The anxiety of this testing process is making me reconsider.

Thanks for your time

At time of check-in, all guests will be required to provide proof of a negative COVID-19 antigen or PCR test result administered by a verified third party or via medically supervised home test (i.e. https://www.emed.com/ or BioReference's Scarlet service - BioReference sends a trained Scarlet Health Professional to your home to collect your COVID-19 test specimen), within two days prior to boarding for cruises originating in a U.S. port and three days prior for voyages departing from a non-U.S. port.

CVS tests are antigen and are administered by a verified third party.

• Thanks 1