Current Buffet

Donna_In_India

We are considering booking a cruise and usually eat in the buffets. How are things in the buffet now? 

Specifically:

Is anything self-serve (I assume not)?

Are you able to tell the servers how much you want of something - and get that amount (don't care for waste)?

Are there a lot less options at the buffet the pre-COVID?

Thanks for any info!

There are some self-serve, "grab and go" options like little salads and such. Yes, I was able to get that "just a little bit of this and a little bit of that." They're very cooperative. There seemed to be plenty of options, but one thing I missed was the self-serve hot dessert. The hot fruit crisp or bread pudding with sauce. I really liked having that option.

12 minutes ago, Donna_In_India said:

We are considering booking a cruise and usually eat in the buffets. How are things in the buffet now? 

Specifically:

Is anything self-serve (I assume not)?

Are you able to tell the servers how much you want of something - and get that amount (don't care for waste)?

Are there a lot less options at the buffet the pre-COVID?

Thanks for any info!

We were on the Enchanted December 20-30 cruise...based off of that experience it was as follows:

--Some things were self-serve and some things were not.  Food that needed to be ladled, scooped, etc was served by a crew member.  Other items were very nicely presented in small cups, bowls and small serving devices that you may pick up on your own.  

--Yes, you can tell the servers how much you want of each item.  We found this to be very easy and didn't waste near as much food ourselves.

--There were less options (at the buffet) however our cruise had 1842 passengers on board a 3600 capacity cruise ship.  We truly didn't lack for anything and think you'll find the same.  You still have the option to eat out by the pool--hamburgers, pizza and THE BEST street tacos at sea!  Also the International Cafe is an excellent breakfast or lunch option.

We really found the whole experience wonderful and hope they continue this practice--to be clear we hope they continue to serve guests at buffets from here forward.  It's SO MUCH more sanitary...too bad it took a pandemic to get them to do this.  

• Like 6

14 minutes ago, Triptkr said:

We were on the Enchanted December 20-30 cruise...based off of that experience it was as follows:

--Some things were self-serve and some things were not.  Food that needed to be ladled, scooped, etc was served by a crew member.  Other items were very nicely presented in small cups, bowls and small serving devices that you may pick up on your own.  

--Yes, you can tell the servers how much you want of each item.  We found this to be very easy and didn't waste near as much food ourselves.

--There were less options (at the buffet) however our cruise had 1842 passengers on board a 3600 capacity cruise ship.  We truly didn't lack for anything and think you'll find the same.  You still have the option to eat out by the pool--hamburgers, pizza and THE BEST street tacos at sea!  Also the International Cafe is an excellent breakfast or lunch option.

We really found the whole experience wonderful and hope they continue this practice--to be clear we hope they continue to serve guests at buffets from here forward.  It's SO MUCH more sanitary...too bad it took a pandemic to get them to do this.  

We were on the same cruise. I agree with you. I didn't try any buffet pasta options, but my husband did, and he wasn't a fan.

It was mostly hits, but there were a few misses. I did like the grab and go bowls. Three of those and a piece of bread, and I have a nice little sandwich.

The bread on Princess is so good.

Here's a few pictures I took of buffet food.

Pork & chicken. The chicken tasted way better than it looks.

OjoYa31.jpg?1

A few grab-n-go

o7EF6S5.jpg?1

A couple more grab-n-go, plus roast beef. The beef was a bit fatty.

A1EziQe.jpg?1

Pasta dish - my husband thought this was very dry and the sauce that was there, was bland.

pon1wm5.jpg?1

For this pasta dish, he had immediate dislike for the sauce.

6IT1Xig.jpg?1

All I can say is that if they serve me to much it goes in the garbage just as fast. I like the ability to serve myself & take just the amount I want. I'm sure the old way will return very shortly.

All those that like to be served should stick to the DR.

22 minutes ago, MissP22 said:

All I can say is that if they serve me to much it goes in the garbage just as fast. I like the ability to serve myself & take just the amount I want. I'm sure the old way will return very shortly.

It's surprisingly easy to tell the servers at the buffet exactly how much food you want.   They do a great job.

• Like 6

34 minutes ago, MissP22 said:

I'm surprised you had issues. I just used phrases like, "not too much," "just a little," "a little more," and such. Worked like a charm.

I, personally, like this way much better, and I hope it sticks. I've seen people put their fingers in chafing dishes. Blech.

• Like 10

On our last cruise, they had the bread pudding and the fruit crisps - they were over by the breads.  We LOVE the new buffet set up - I hope they continue it, loved the small portions in the creative containers.  I guess we'll find out the end of April on our Majestic cruise.

• Like 6

16 minutes ago, fabby50 said:

On our last cruise, they had the bread pudding and the fruit crisps - they were over by the breads.  We LOVE the new buffet set up - I hope they continue it, loved the small portions in the creative containers.  I guess we'll find out the end of April on our Majestic cruise.

It would be nice if it was continued...seems common sense to me in an atmosphere that has had historical issues with norovirus.   

• Like 8

We've done 3 cruises since Thanksgiving (Regal, Emerald and Majestic). The buffets on all of the ships were substandard, though breakfast was ok. Desserts were horrible! Major cutbacks. Some of that was due to the ships being less than half full.

I used to enjoy the buffets on the Royal-class ships. They were better but ... On the Majestic, they didn't use the Horizon Bistro at all.

Service was good though not being able to pour your own coffee slows things down.

Just off the Ruby, did buffet lunch and dinner, similar items both meals.  Only 1500 passengers, so variety on buffet was an issue for us over a 10-day period.  Serve was excellent, staff excellent.  Am sure variety will improve with more folks on board.   We are booked again in December for 15 days on Ruby.    We do room service for breakfast.  That was fine. 

I'm on the Majestic now. The buffet is 75% closed due to only 1488 Passengers. They are serving you most items with the few exceptions already mentioned. The choices are very limited and the quality isn't what it used to be. I'm in club class and the dining menu's there are cheaper items with more fish and less beef. There's always a nice salad to be had and you could add chicken to make it a meal. Alfredo's is a good option for lunch. The service is still top notch.

My only dissatisfaction is with the volume of shows and enrichment in the Princess live. I left 2 shows because I forgot earplugs. I just don't understand why it's so loud it hurts. 

53 minutes ago, patrickmoran said:

We've done 3 cruises since Thanksgiving (Regal, Emerald and Majestic). The buffets on all of the ships were substandard, though breakfast was ok. Desserts were horrible! Major cutbacks. Some of that was due to the ships being less than half full.

I used to enjoy the buffets on the Royal-class ships. They were better but ... On the Majestic, they didn't use the Horizon Bistro at all.

Service was good though not being able to pour your own coffee slows things down.

On our December, Majestic Princess cruise we went to the buffet once for lunch and once for dinner. I have allergies but normally I have lots of choices. We usually eat in the buffet quite often.  On this cruise at lunchtime they made me some shrimp and I had a few other choices but at dinner time the only thing that ended up on my plate was a piece of dry turkey breast and some rice. There were no other choices available.  So yes, we felt the buffet was substandard on that cruise. I’m hoping that our next cruise is more of a return to normal as far as choices go. We liked how they served us and we felt safe.

Edited by MsSoCalCruiser

Have been on Majestic and Grand in the past 2 months.

On Majestic less than half of the buffet was in use.  Variety was certainly not what it was pre-Covid.

On Grand the selection was also limited.

The practice of having different ethnic days not happening at this time.

MDR menus about the same as just before Covid pause.  On both ships the mid ship dining room on Deck 5 was closed and being used for crew staff dining.

I expect buffet selections will remain limited until ships get back closer to full capacity and the crew is back at full staffing.

Edited by smbt1

1 hour ago, Kmkub said:

I, personally, like this way much better, and I hope it sticks. I've seen people put their fingers in chafing dishes. Blech.

What I find really disgusting is when people put their fingers in the chafing dishes and don't take them out again!  Yuck!!

Yeah, I’m no germaphobe, but there are clear improvements with the new system.   I especially like how they can present nicely-garnished garde manger and charcuterie items - some people have the tongs skill of drunk gibbons. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

9 minutes ago, VibeGuy said:

Yeah, I’m no germaphobe, but there are clear improvements with the new system.   I especially like how they can present nicely-garnished garde manger and charcuterie items - some people have the tongs skill of drunk gibbons. 

I wish they had done this 20 years ago. With all of the norovirus outbreaks - this would have helped.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, VibeGuy said:

Great point. Everything looked so nice all the time.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, VibeGuy said:

On behalf of drunk gibbons everywhere, I resent this comment. 

Have you ever tried coconut water fermented in the shell??  Great stuff!  My gibbon friends really enjoy it.

• Haha 3