Puerto Plata

newyorkray

Anyone have information on Puerto Plate in the Dominican Republic, a stop on a Celebrity Cruise I'm considering. I have been on many Celebrity Cruises and remember once stopping at a closed off beach area that was owned by Royal Caribbean/Celebrity but I think it was Haiti. Any info on Puerto Plata? Any nice beaches close by the Port?

It's open for business, and folks on Reflection last week had a good time. Beware the "adrenaline" waterfall excursion, as it was much more than many bargained for. 

The port, itself, is more a shipping port, so don't get excited about getting off to just wander around. 

RCL and Celebrity stop at Taino Bay in Puerto Plata. It's a new development that opened on December 15, 2021. The site is modern and attractive with glass palapas occupied by local merchants and Caribbean franchises. There is a walk of about 20 minutes from the ship to the development. Locals will offer a bicycle ride to the shops, restaurants and bars. Ship based excursions will meet here. It also contains a small beach where you can see the ship and a much larger pool with loungers. You are asked to buy a drink to lounge at the facilities in port. In addition to these attractions, Taino Bay includes a spider monkey exhibit where you can interact with the animals for about $25pp. You can walk outside the port for a short jaunt into the town with local cigar factory, amber museum, and some churches.  

Here's a specific CC thread on what to expect.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, misterkevin said:

RCL and Celebrity stop at Taino Bay in Puerto Plata. It's a new development that opened on December 15, 2021. The site is modern and attractive with glass palapas occupied by local merchants and Caribbean franchises. There is a walk of about 20 minutes from the ship to the development. Locals will offer a bicycle ride to the shops, restaurants and bars. Ship based excursions will meet here. It also contains a small beach where you can see the ship and a much larger pool with loungers. You are asked to buy a drink to lounge at the facilities in port. In addition to these attractions, Taino Bay includes a spider monkey exhibit where you can interact with the animals for about $25pp. You can walk outside the port for a short jaunt into the town with local cigar factory, amber museum, and some churches.  

Thanks misterkevin.  I have been following a thread written by someone who visited this port recently.  The pool area looks beautiful.  I'll be there this time next year (leaving the frigid Chicago winter behind...like you, right?).  This looks like a great place to spend the day.

Susan

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, lola2013 said:

Thanks misterkevin.  I have been following a thread written by someone who visited this port recently.  The pool area looks beautiful.  I'll be there this time next year (leaving the frigid Chicago winter behind...like you, right?).  This looks like a great place to spend the day.

Susan

It can't come fast enough for me! These wild 50 degree temperature swings from day to day this time of year are taking their toll.

3 hours ago, misterkevin said:

It can't come fast enough for me! These wild 50 degree temperature swings from day to day this time of year are taking their toll.

I know right!  This morning when I walked the dog it was 62 degrees in Boston, just walked him now and it is 23, Mexico here I come, that vaca cannot come fast enough

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Manchester is blue said:

I went to Puerto plata a few years ago on a land based holiday. I’d just say watch your pockets……. I don’t think I will be rushing back.

While the DR and the people are lovely, many areas are just not safe unfortunately

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, JamieLogical said:

Oh no! I am booked on an excursion for the cable car on my March 19 sailing. Any idea on when it will be running again?

Been closed since mid Sept 2021.  They say all repairs have been made but they have not received clearance to resume yet.

6 minutes ago, LGW59 said:

Been closed since mid Sept 2021.  They say all repairs have been made but they have not received clearance to resume yet.

Hmm... I guess for now I keep my excursion and just see if it gets cancelled once I'm onboard? Still a full month away....

5 hours ago, misterkevin said:

Thanks!

We'll be in port 5 weeks from today...

Last time we were in the Dominican Republic we snorkeled & then went to a private beach.

We've had snow for the past 21 days & counting. 

The current storm system says we have 5 more days to go...

We depart for sun & warmth in 23 days - we are so looking forward to it 🙂

• Like 2

10 hours ago, LGW59 said:

While the DR and the people are lovely, many areas are just not safe unfortunately

While New England and the people are lovely, many areas are just not safe unfortunately

😉

We have stayed in Playa Dorada several times which is east of the town which has very good security. Going to town is like venturing into some of the areas of Boston. Best to have a local show you around. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, misterkevin said:

The port is brand-spanking new. It's worth a look, even to check out the shops from the local artisans.

I agree, we were just there and it is very nice and the people even nicer. But the beer was a bit speedy.

cheers,

Daryl

10 hours ago, misterkevin said:

The port is brand-spanking new. It's worth a look, even to check out the shops from the local artisans.

I must have confused this stop with what was planned on one of our cancelled cruises. That was going to be a Carnival facility.,nothing there was very exciting, nor were the excursions.  Previously it was slated for a much nicer part of the island.,very nature oriented,, .....we would have tried that.

Looks like a new day altogethet so we look forward to hearing all about it!

• Like 1