On-board Upgrade

LB_NJ

They do often have some upgrades for sale.   Ask the Customer Service folks once on board or the Retreat Concierge if in a suite.   They often don't do the upgrades until after the first 24 hours if filling a last minute cancellation or no-show. 

I tried once and the price they offered was higher than if I had purchased it at full price prior to sailing.  I declined.

13 minutes ago, LB_NJ said:

My travel agent does not participate in bidding for upgrades.

Does Celebrity offer pay for upgrades once you board the ship?

Any advice how to go about on-board upgrades?

Do the move up yourself.  I have a TA but I submitted the form myself.  

• Like 1

I got lucky last month...never happened before; likely will never happen again! 

When I booked last month's Reflection cruise, my preferred SV was about $1k more than a standard balcony so I took the standard cabin.   I called Celebrity when I received the move up offer email a couple of weeks before sailing.  I was told that there are too few SVs and that category is never offered as a move up.  But I was told to go to Guest Services when I boarded and see what might be available.  I kept an eye on it right up to the morning that I was going to board, and the two SVs that I wanted were still available (I was travelling with friends so I wanted to be sure we could all move).  My first stop after dropping off my luggage was to Guest Services where I was told that if the SVs were clean, I could move...no upcharge.  Since the SVs were just a few cabins away from what I started with, I ran down to check and sure enough, spotless!  The cabin steward was contacted and we were able to make the move.  Lucky; lucky; lucky!!!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, jalves said:

I use a TA and have had no problem filling out the move up form myself.  

When you state that you fill out the form, do you mean using the ‘Move Up’ option on the website?   When entering my data the site states to check back within 21 days of our travel.  

12 minutes ago, Reisdawg said:

When you state that you fill out the form, do you mean using the ‘Move Up’ option on the website?   When entering my data the site states to check back within 21 days of our travel.  

Yes, I was able to do it about 40 days out.  Maybe they changed the timeframe.

11 hours ago, bjahil47 said:

Move-Up bids are not done through a TA even if you are booked with a TA  If you are booked with a TA that does not participate in Move Up then you will not be allowed to submit a bid.  I don’t understand why some TAs don’t participate since from my vantage point they are not involved , but some don’t .

The issue is, unless something has changed, that if your TA does not participate in the move up program (such as the big box store TA), then you cannot participate on a reservation booked through that TA.  Your booking will not be treated as eligible.  If your TA does participate, then you can submit the form yourself, or have the TA do it for you.

Tom & Judy

7 minutes ago, TFree said:

The issue is, unless something has changed, that if your TA does not participate in the move up program (such as the big box store TA), then you cannot participate on a reservation booked through that TA.  Your booking will not be treated as eligible.  If your TA does participate, then you can submit the form yourself, or have the TA do it for you.

Tom & Judy

Interesting.  Thanks for that info.  My TA must participate then.

14 minutes ago, jelayne said:

Move-Up bids are not done through a TA even if you are booked with a TA  If you are booked with a TA that does not participate in Move Up then you will not be allowed to submit a bid.  I don’t understand why some TAs don’t participate since from my vantage point they are not involved , but some don’t .

Yes, I have wondered about this, too.  Since in general people will submit their own bids, why wouldn't a TA participate?  Why is it any burden on them?  Plus if your bid is accepted, I would assume that the TA gets a commission on the move up payment.  Maybe somebody knows the answer to this, I am curious to know.

Tom & Judy

44 minutes ago, jalves said:

I use a TA and have had no problem filling out the move up form myself.  

If you book through certain TAs (one warehouse club comes to mind) you can't upgrade through the move-up process, either through a TA or by yourself.  You get feedback that the room can't be upgraded, or isn't eligible, or whatever.  

37 minutes ago, D C said:

If you book through certain TAs (one warehouse club comes to mind) you can't upgrade through the move-up process, either through a TA or by yourself.  You get feedback that the room can't be upgraded, or isn't eligible, or whatever.  

That’s my situation and thanks so much!

2 hours ago, D C said:

That is my situation, however I got such a good deal on the room (a group rate) that I am OK about staying in the room if I can't upgrade.  Was just trying to figure out if an upgrade might be possible once on the ship.

46 minutes ago, jalves said:

Wondering why some TA's wouldn't let you use the move-up process.  

It's not the TA, it's Celebrity.  Apparently has something to do with the agreement they have between them, but I don't see how preventing the guest from giving Celebrity more $$ helps either of them.

• 2 years later...
On 2/28/2022 at 8:57 AM, bjahil47 said:

Yes, I was able to do it about 40 days out.  Maybe they changed the timeframe.

There is no set timeframe any longer.  It was originally 21 days but now they can open up Move Up at any time after final payment.  

37 minutes ago, jelayne said:

There is no set timeframe any longer.  It was originally 21 days but now they can open up Move Up at any time after final payment.  

I guess things changed in 2 years!  Thanks for information!  

1 hour ago, Blooming Rose said:

If you book through a TA and then do the bid on a room and get the upgrade, does the TA still get commission? If so, is it on the original booking or the new price?

Top hit on google...

image.thumb.png.7d1d5c349faebcdbe180ab8f3f15aa4a.png

• Thanks 1

On 2/27/2022 at 10:18 PM, Jim_Iain said:

They do often have some upgrades for sale.   Ask the Customer Service folks once on board or the Retreat Concierge if in a suite.   They often don't do the upgrades until after the first 24 hours if filling a last minute cancellation or no-show. 

I tried once and the price they offered was higher than if I had purchased it at full price prior to sailing.  I declined.

I have experienced the same.  We were doing a B2B,   A SS, AQ. I went to GR during the first and expressed interest in upgrading for the 2nd.  I seen that there were a lot of suites still available on their  website.  On the 3rd  day of the next cruise we got a message that an upgrade was available.  It was also for more than  the price prior to sailing and wasn’t prorated.   We already missed 2 days and were situated in our cabin.   Plus the difference in  cost was the reason I didn’t originally book it.   No thanks 

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

Posted (edited)
On 2/28/2022 at 1:38 PM, D C said:

It's not the TA, it's Celebrity.  Apparently has something to do with the agreement they have between them, but I don't see how preventing the guest from giving Celebrity more $$ helps either of them.

I realize I am responding to an old post but this does relate to a more recent comment raised by @Ex-Airbalancer on this thread.

It is both the cruise line and the TA imposing this restriction, as it is the mutual agreement the large box retailers have with the cruise line that restricts bookings made through them from participating in the MoveUp program.  I'm guessing it has to do with conditions on the number and how stateroom blocks are held and associated pricing and perks. JMO.

These retailers are not preventing the guest from participating by choice nor are they unwilling to assist, it is by contractual arrangement.  So if you want to book through them for whatever benefits are provided, the condition of your reservation not qualifying for MoveUp is part of that booking.

And to my knowledge it is only the big box retailer's bookings that are restricted in this. I am not familiar with any other TA that would have restricted bookings.  

Edited by leaveitallbehind