Is flight arrival at 11:45 the day of sailing cutting it too close for Fort lauderdale?

We've flown into Fort Lauderdale several times from Houston (large United hub) the morning of our cruise.  We always take the first flight that morning, it's always non-stop and it's only about a 2 hour flight.  We are usually on the ship by noon since it's only about a 10 minute taxi ride to the port.  I would NOT do the same thing to the Miami airport.  There is always a risk with any travel to a port - we drive an hour to the Galveston port in crazy Houston traffic - probably a higher risk doing that than flying to FLL!!

What city are you flying from, and what time of year? i.e. will winter weather be a factor? Are nonstop flights available? - A connecting flight adds more chances for things to go wrong. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, yamaha dancer said:

We had Celebrity book our flights into FLL for our cruise this month. They booked us to arrive the day of our cruise on a flight with a connection from Canada. Their policy states that if they book your flights they guarantee your boarding.

With the current air travel environment (delays, flights diverted, crazy passenger behavior) how can Celebrity guarantee anything especially with a connection???

Another issue to consider: Their policy states that if they book your flights they guarantee your boarding. You might want to clarify if that guarantee specifies boarding the day of departure??? 

Edited by Loracpin2
spelling

20 hours ago, blackjack24 said:

Assuming everything goes smooth it should be ok right? I know most will say not to do it but there aren't many great options. If everything goes right it gives you 3 hours to get to port and its only an 8 min drive. Thoughts?

Let us know how you enjoy your week in FLL land vacation.  🙂

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

12 minutes ago, LGW59 said:

Hope you know I was JK, really hope it all works out well for connections!

.... all it takes for one of these "i can cut it this close, can't i?"  types to blow a cruise after a delayed flight ...   just once.

Edited by F27TW

4 hours ago, blackjack24 said:

Thanks all for the replies! 

.. and please tell me after all these replies, that you didn't listen to the few "you'll be fine" daredevils.. and that you did re-book to the day prior.  😉 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Loracpin2 said:

With the current air travel environment (delays, flights diverted, crazy passenger behavior) how can Celebrity guarantee anything especially with a connection???

Another issue to consider: Their policy states that if they book your flights they guarantee your boarding. You might want to clarify if that guarantee specifies boarding the day of departure??? 

They can hold the ship, fly the affected passengers to the next port to wait on the ship, or give them a full refund. 

Can it work?  Yes.  

But a few air travel horror stories to make you reconsider. 🙂  I fly a lot for work, mostly internationally.

I had a domestic trip.  I ran to catch the early morning flight.  We pushed back, taxied around, and came back to the gate.  Due long lines of thunderstorms in all directions all day, I caught the same flight the next day.

Then there was a my trip for hell, where I missed EVERY connecting flight.  I left on my first flight to JFK.  We were delayed on the ground and in the air and missed the flight to Brussels.  They put us on another flight to AMS (a number of us all missed the same flight), and then connecting to BRU.  We got to AMS and found they had booked us on a connecting flight that already left, and it was the last flight to BRU that day.  So our option was the train.  But the express trains were not running on the weekend due to track maintenance, so we had to change trains.  Then we had to change trains again due to our train breaking.  I got to my hotel in BRU about 12 hours late.   Then, on the way home, I was at work in Friday, leaving that evening back through BRU.  Someone asked if I was on XX flight and that it was delayed.  By 23 HOURS.  The First Officer and one of the flight attendants had been injured during the layover.  And then, we were delayed another 3 hours due to mechanical issue.  So I missed my connection in BRU, and had to wait 5 hours for the next flight.

I can work, but personally, I would not take the chance.

• Like 1

On 3/5/2022 at 8:16 PM, blackjack24 said:

Assuming everything goes smooth it should be ok right? I know most will say not to do it but there aren't many great options. If everything goes right it gives you 3 hours to get to port and its only an 8 min drive. Thoughts?

Only once have I flown in on the same day.  It was a cruise out of LA; we had a 6:30 am non-stop from Albuquerque, arriving at 7:30am LA time.  No problem, right?  Well, that was the day the Albq airport was shut down by fog, for HOURS.  We didn't arrive in LA until noon; still made it but it was 100% stressful and by the time we were onboard, it was nearly time for muster drill.  We missed lunch and all the fun of exploring the ship.

Understand the cost savings but you paid a lot more for the cruise and missing it would be hard. We have looked at this a lot but living on the west coast now and flying east doesn't work unless we do red eyes. After flying a lot during my business career and knowing the many issues that come up, and that was before the current issues with air travel we always go in the day before, have a nice dinner, great sleep now worried about the nerves the next day at the airport. If something happens you have lots of time to adjust. Always worth the potential air fare savings for us. 

• Like 1

On 3/5/2022 at 10:16 PM, blackjack24 said:

Have fun with the stress.

We almost missed a cruise because our Cincinnati to Orlando direct flight was delayed because of snow in Atlanta.

Now i just plan on a hotel and leaving a day or more early. Hell I try to do the same after the cruise too. Less stress, and sometimes the flexibility in flights saves enough to pay for the hotel. 

• Like 1

+1 for the arrive a day or two ahead plan. We have had the SNAFU happen twice so far and would have missed the cruises if we had tried for same - day. 

Edited by Bxc53
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thought I'd update the thread. Oddly enough went the day before and barely made the cruise! Left for the airport plenty early but there was a wreck on the interstate that had shut it down and had to go out of the way a ways to make it there. Got to the airport(not inside but parked) 55 min before the last flight of the day and caught a couple breaks or wouldn't have made it. We were checking all airports(withing 3-5 hours) around on the way there thinking the delay on the interstate was going to stop us from making it and none had anything the next day. Everything had sold out at that point. 

Moral of the story is it was a wild few hours knowing if we didn't make it we'd miss the cruise! So even the day before isn't a guarantee! But glad we made it and had a good time!

edited to add it was a free cruise too so even if we had went day of and missed getting on somehow but were in florida could have just stayed in Florida for a bit but we like cruising!

Edited by blackjack24
  • Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

Made it with time to spare. Arrived at FLL at at 10:55 am day of departure, picked up our checked luggage, and was on the ship before noon. Took an Uber for $13.17 to the port (tipped in cash).

Got off ship at 8 am, took another Uber, and was getting my nose swabbed at the airport at 08:40. Had over 2 hours to kill before our 11:37 am flight. Flights book by Celebrity were perfect 🙂

28 minutes ago, yamaha dancer said:

Made it with time to spare. Arrived at FLL at at 10:55 am day of departure, picked up our checked luggage, and was on the ship before noon. Took an Uber for $13.17 to the port (tipped in cash).

Got off ship at 8 am, took another Uber, and was getting my nose swabbed at the airport at 08:40. Had over 2 hours to kill before our 11:37 am flight. Flights book by Celebrity were perfect 🙂

lol.  I do the same thing.  Its called being organized, no mobility issues, having wifi on ship, self disembark, direct flight, not a lot of luggage, TSA pre/check, preferred airline customer, and scheduling uber/lyft the instant you clear customs.  I find airports are much worse with lines from 10a to 2p because everyone is so afraid they will miss their flight going home so they all schedule late afternoon flights and the airport is 30 minutes from the port.  So I personally love when everyone does the afternoon flights or the day before.  On my flight from MIA that was 950am, there were 10 of us from the cruise and we were all thrilled we would be home by 1p.  

Edited by jean87510

booked an Air to Sea flight via RCCL and arrive at 11:20 from ORD to FLL.  Sailed out of FLL many times. I would have not done this if:

1. It was not a direct flight

2. It was not FLL (port is close to the airport) - shortest airport to seaport experience you'll find 

3. It was winter.