Still Testing Positive

I had Covid 3 weeks ago but I am still testing positive.  I need to test this Friday for our cruise and am getting concerned about my results.  I called RCCL and they would need an official test document from my initial positive test result which I don't have as I did a home test and that was sufficient for my place of work.  Has anyone had any experience with going on a cruise with other documentation other than an official test report from the onset of Covid?  I know I would need a doctor's note saying that I am far out from recovery and no longer contagious but that doesn't satisfy the first part of my problem.

Thanks!

2 minutes ago, jtorbs said:

Has anyone had any experience with going on a cruise with other documentation other than an official test report from the onset of Covid?

You won't need any old test result - if you test positive Friday that's all you'll need for a refund and if you test negative you can sail.

• Like 1

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/if-recovered-from-covid-19-need-to-be-vaccinated-or-take-a-test-to-sail

If you read the details about sailing with a certificate of recovery, you will find they require previous positive PCR test result; from your post, you do not have a PCR result, so you cannot use this COR program.  It is a fairly new program; I suspect not too many people have used it yet.  Forget the doctor’s note and move on.

Take a precruise antigen test as scheduled.  If positive, request a refund.  If negative, you are good to good.  If I were in your shoes, I would avoid more sensitive tests like PCR or IDNow; I’d stick with antigen testing. 

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, Chief401 said:

Can you have an antibodies test done?  

If you have had COVID or a vaccine, you will have antibodies. Useless for a pre cruise test.

Please please please read the requirements that the cruise line sends you. 

Edited by BirdTravels
  • Like 3

23 minutes ago, jtorbs said:

I had Covid 3 weeks ago but I am still testing positive.  I need to test this Friday for our cruise and am getting concerned about my results.  I called RCCL and they would need an official test document from my initial positive test result which I don't have as I did a home test and that was sufficient for my place of work.  Has anyone had any experience with going on a cruise with other documentation other than an official test report from the onset of Covid?  I know I would need a doctor's note saying that I am far out from recovery and no longer contagious but that doesn't satisfy the first part of my problem.

Thanks!

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/if-recovered-from-covid-19-need-to-be-vaccinated-or-take-a-test-to-sail

For all sailings departing on or after March 11, 2022, a Certificate of Recovery, for a positive COVID-19 case at least 11 days before boarding but no more than 90 days ago, may be provided in lieu of a pre-cruise COVID-19 test result to board the ship if it meets certain requirements. However, certain ports (listed below) will not permit guests to go ashore using a Certificate of Recovery. The following two documents must be presented:

1. A certified medical health certificate from a doctor stating that you have fully recovered from COVID-19. It must meet the following requirements:
    • Official letterhead from a healthcare provider, public health official or telehealth provider showing:
      • Their name
      • Their address
      • Their phone number
      • Confirmation of your recovery and completion of isolation 
    • Must be typed (not handwritten) and signed by the provider
    • Must confirm the sample collection date of the positive PCR test, which must be a minimum of 11 days and a maximum of 90 days before the departure date of your cruise
  2. A positive result document for a COVID-19 PCR test taken a minimum of 11 days and a maximum of 90 days before the departure date of your cruise. An antigen test result will not be accepted with a Certificate of Recovery. The test results document from your test provider must include the name of the lab that processed the test, the lab’s CLIA Lab Number or Certification Number, the address of the lab, your name, the date the test was taken, type of test, and your positive result. This can be a printed document, email, or telehealth app notification. Fully handwritten doctor’s notes (such as those written on a prescription pad) will not be accepted. Minimal handwritten components (such as a check mark on a “positive” box) are acceptable as long as the other required information is printed on the document.

NOTE: Though Royal Caribbean will accept documentation meeting these requirements to board, many countries are not currently accepting Certificates of Recovery. In these ports, guests who provided certificates would not be allowed to debark.

The following ports are currently not accepting a Certificate of Recovery for debarkation:

• Curacao
  • St. Kitts
  • Panama
  • Panama Canal
  • Jamaica
  • Bonaire
  • St. Lucia
  • Guatemala
  • Colombia
  • Trinidad & Tobago
  • St. Vincent
  • the Grenadines
  • Haiti
  • Cayman Islands
  • Bermuda

Anyone who has had Covid might continue to test positive for up to 90 days.

You might be able to get a negative result on a rapid test where you do the swabbig if you don't "dig deep" with the swab.  It's just a matter of where the live virus might still be camped out (not as likely in the outer nasal as inner nasal or sinus).  But don't count on it.

2 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

If you have had COVID or a vaccine, you will have antibodies. Useless for a pre cruise test.

Please please please read the requirements that the cruise line sends you. 

An antibody test will not assist this individual in getting on board. Still, just FYI, there are different antibody tests.  An antibody test directed against the spike (S) protein should be positive in both vaccinated and recovered individuals.  An antibody test directed against the nucleocapsid (N) protein should be positive in recovered individuals (N protein is not present in our vaccines, so vaccination does not induce N antibodies).  So physicians and researchers can order tests if needed to tell if somebody has developed antibodies to the actual virus vs just to the vaccine.

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, trey420 said:

I say go with hog.  We did the abbot test and you could've just pretended to do it.  The lady watches but goes through the motions, mainly trying to get it over with.

Perhaps proctors differ.  My husband was swabbing his nostril correctly and yet his proctor kept instructing him to do more and deeper.  I spent my career in healthcare and was standing beside him; perhaps her view through the camera was misleading.  She certainly was not going to allow him to under sample or just go through the motions!

I'm sure they do differ star.  My 4 experiences were pretty easy going the worst part was trying to hear her the first time. If they asked me to go deeper I just pretended it was more uncomfortable like I was way up there.  I never failed nor my SO. 

On 4/2/2022 at 12:27 PM, Lane Hog said:

Anyone who has had Covid might continue to test positive for up to 90 days.

You might be able to get a negative result on a rapid test where you do the swabbig if you don't "dig deep" with the swab.  It's just a matter of where the live virus might still be camped out (not as likely in the outer nasal as inner nasal or sinus).  But don't count on it.

You will test positive on a pcr test for weeks but if you test positive on an antigen test it means you still do have covid. Antigen tests detect live virus.

Edited by rtazz17
  • Like 2

Sorry but you need a positive PCR test with laboratory documentation as well as recovery letter from physician.  Are you still testing positive with an antigen test?  The health questionnaire will ask if you have tested positive in the past 10 days which will exclude you from sailing.

Have all of your positive test results been with the same brand of home test?  If yes, maybe try a different kind.

I did a home test just to be safe before leading a girl scout meeting and it came out positive....within 3 hours I had gotten in for a PCR test.  My doctor said she had seen a few fasle postives recently so not to worry too much, but I was stressed about missing out anniversary trip so took a second test that same evening while waiting on teh PCR results...that second home test was also positive.  The PCR test was negative.  Both of the home tests were the same brand and one I had not bought previously.  

Bought a different brand of home and have not had any other positive results (and have also had officially protoctered antigen tests since, before every GS meeting, all negative as well).   My doctor thinks there was just something wrong with a whole batch of tests from the one brand.

Edited by xxHadleyxx
  • Like 1

On 4/2/2022 at 1:19 PM, Starry Eyes said:

An antibody test will not assist this individual in getting on board. Still, just FYI, there are different antibody tests.  An antibody test directed against the spike (S) protein should be positive in both vaccinated and recovered individuals.  An antibody test directed against the nucleocapsid (N) protein should be positive in recovered individuals (N protein is not present in our vaccines, so vaccination does not induce N antibodies).  So physicians and researchers can order tests if needed to tell if somebody has developed antibodies to the actual virus vs just to the vaccine.

J&J might have the N-protein since it a killed virus vaccine.

16 hours ago, xxHadleyxx said:

Have all of your positive test results been with the same brand of home test?  If yes, maybe try a different kind.

I did a home test just to be safe before leading a girl scout meeting and it came out positive....within 3 hours I had gotten in for a PCR test.  My doctor said she had seen a few fasle postives recently so not to worry too much, but I was stressed about missing out anniversary trip so took a second test that same evening while waiting on teh PCR results...that second home test was also positive.  The PCR test was negative.  Both of the home tests were the same brand and one I had not bought previously.  

Bought a different brand of home and have not had any other positive results (and have also had officially protoctered antigen tests since, before every GS meeting, all negative as well).   My doctor thinks there was just something wrong with a whole batch of tests from the one brand.

What brand?  That would be annoying. 

You need a postive PCR result 11-90 days before embarking and the certificate of recovery.  I have positive PCR tests from a trip at the end of January and will miss the cut off at 97 days for our cruise next month.  I got a PCR test done last week hoping I would still pop positive but no such luck.

If you knew you were still testing positive and planning to cruise, you should have gotten a PCR test after your original positive antigen test and then gotten a certificate of recovery once you were symptom free.  At this point it is too late it you are sailing this weekend.

But as@rtazz17 mentioned, if you are still testing positive on Antigen,  it means your covid is still active so should not be sailing anyway.  Hopefully by Friday, you will be free of the active virus and will test negative.  My fingers are crossed for you.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SRF said:

J&J might have the N-protein since it a killed virus vaccine.

Not an issue.  J&J also based their vaccine on the spike protein.  They took a gene from the coronavirus (one that encodes the spike protein) and placed that gene into a weak adenovirus.  
If the Novavax vaccine ever gets FDA approval, it is a nano protein based vaccine from…you guessed it… the spike protein

Multiple vaccine manufactures used the same fertile ground in the search for a vaccine.

Edited by Starry Eyes

Someone on my upcoming cruise said to use a nasal saline rinse in your nose to get rid of the old cells, etc.  I'm no doctor and I have no idea if it would work to help "clean ya out" but it can't hurt.  

3 hours ago, SRF said:

What brand?  That would be annoying. 

I honestly don't remember...both my husband and grown son are given tests to take home from work pretty often, and then I buy them too and they all end up in the same drawer....I recall at the time we notived it was a different brand than the workplace normally gave out...just the one box of 6 tests (we one did not work at all for my son, the test line never appeared, then a couple of weeks later I had the two positives and we pitched the remaining three).  Mostly I buy and use teh hotgen tests that are carried at our local Aldi stores for 1.75€  they always work reliably.