Aqualina or Prime C

barneyboy

13 hours ago, kool kruiser said:

Slightly off topic and I hope nobody minds too much !

In the main dining room, are there any ''special'' evening menus, for example a lobster night, beef wellington etc? If so, do they follow a predictable pattern, for example, last evening, second evening?

In the past Discoveries has had Surf & Turf on ‘White Night’ for those who don’t like queuing up for the on-deck buffet (which is always wonderful by the way).

• 9 months later...

Just wondering...are gratuities included for both Prime C and Aqualina?  We dined in each last September (2022) and were unsure whether to leave a tip or not.  Booked on the Journey for June 28th and would be appreciative if someone could clear this up.  Thanks.

1 hour ago, ccsuwxman said:

Just wondering...are gratuities included for both Prime C and Aqualina?  We dined in each last September (2022) and were unsure whether to leave a tip or not.  Booked on the Journey for June 28th and would be appreciative if someone could clear this up.  Thanks.

There will be a tip line on the check when you sign for the meal, but you are under no obligation to tip

• Like 2

We’ve just got off Quest in Sydney and experienced Aqualina, Prime C and the Chef’s Table (French).

Aqualina was an OK meal for both of us rescued by an outstanding Grand Marnier Soufflé, offered as a special that night. First time in Prime C was excellent throughout, second time was good but the lobster bisque was incredibly salty compared to the first time. The chef altered it for our friend who had it as a later course.

Our Chef’s Table was a wonderful meal with good wine pairings and pleasant company. However, the second night we were in Prime C, there was a level of noise from the Chef’s Table that would have ruined my enjoyment of the meal had I been there. We were at the first Prime C table and it was loud! We wondered whether it was a group booking but one drawback is that you don’t choose your fellow diners.

• Like 1

On the Pursuit in Dec.  There was electronic billing, so no opportunity to even tip extra iin the Specialties even if you wanted.  They knew I had a package and I  wasn't presented with a "bill".   I didn't have to sign anything. Maybe that will change.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, tonyl1956 said:

We’ve just got off Quest in Sydney and experienced Aqualina, Prime C and the Chef’s Table (French).

Aqualina was an OK meal for both of us rescued by an outstanding Grand Marnier Soufflé, offered as a special that night. First time in Prime C was excellent throughout, second time was good but the lobster bisque was incredibly salty compared to the first time. The chef altered it for our friend who had it as a later course.

Our Chef’s Table was a wonderful meal with good wine pairings and pleasant company. However, the second night we were in Prime C, there was a level of noise from the Chef’s Table that would have ruined my enjoyment of the meal had I been there. We were at the first Prime C table and it was loud! We wondered whether it was a group booking but one drawback is that you don’t choose your fellow diners.

Did you know you can have any of the soufflés they offer in the speciality restaurants, so long as you give 48 hours notic.

5 minutes ago, Grandma Cruising said:

Did you know you can have any of the soufflés they offer in the speciality restaurants, so long as you give 48 hours notic.

And even better, you can order them with a scoop of vanilla ice cream. Make a hole in the top of the soufflé, drop in the ice cream, then top with a bit of the warm sauce that goes with the soufflé. Decadent and delicious! 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, lisiamc said:

And even better, you can order them with a scoop of vanilla ice cream. Make a hole in the top of the soufflé, drop in the ice cream, then top with a bit of the warm sauce that goes with the soufflé. Decadent and delicious! 

What I do is ask them to leave the boat of sauce, so I can keep adding more as I go along. 

• Like 4

On 2/7/2023 at 12:19 PM, Host Jazzbeau said:

What I do is ask them to leave the boat of sauce, so I can keep adding more as I go along. 

A boat of sauce; now you are talking!!  😁

What are the souffle options, and @Grandma Cruising, are you saying you can order them even if dining in the main dining room?  At no charge?

4 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

What are the souffle options, and @Grandma Cruising, are you saying you can order them even if dining in the main dining room?  At no charge?

I’m not sure about the main dining room, but I doubt it. You can definitely order them if dining in either of the speciality restaurants. I can’t remember all the flavours, but we ordered through the reservations desk in the buffet and they will tell you what flavours are available. Our favourite is Grand Marnier and there’s a Lemoncillo one and a chocolate & hazelnut too.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

11 hours ago, Grandma Cruising said:

I’m not sure about the main dining room, but I doubt it. You can definitely order them if dining in either of the speciality restaurants. I can’t remember all the flavours, but we ordered through the reservations desk in the buffet and they will tell you what flavours are available. Our favourite is Grand Marnier and there’s a Lemoncillo one and a chocolate & hazelnut too.

Have to share a funny story about the chocolate souffle in Aqualina on Pursuit in November.  When my friend ordered the chocolate souffle the waiter suggested the Grand Marnier; she stayed with the chocolate.  When it came out it was horrible -- not fully mixed and tasted terrible.  When the waiter saw she was not enjoying it he offered to bring something else and said, "I did recommend the other."  We all had a good laugh.  Lesson learned: if the waiter steers you away from something believe him!  I am not saying it's always bad but clearly the waiter knew it was not a good night for chocolate souffle.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, mchell810 said:

Have to share a funny story about the chocolate souffle in Aqualina on Pursuit in November.  When my friend ordered the chocolate souffle the waiter suggested the Grand Marnier; she stayed with the chocolate.  When it came out it was horrible -- not fully mixed and tasted terrible.  When the waiter saw she was not enjoying it he offered to bring something else and said, "I did recommend the other."  We all had a good laugh.  Lesson learned: if the waiter steers you away from something believe him!  I am not saying it's always bad but clearly the waiter knew it was not a good night for chocolate souffle.

On one level funny on another not the response a waiter should give. A little less about the “I did” and a lot more of the “sorry let’s fix” would be more appropriate in my mind. 

22 minutes ago, uktog said:

On one level funny on another not the response a waiter should give. A little less about the “I did” and a lot more of the “sorry let’s fix” would be more appropriate in my mind. 

Under different circumstances I might agree with you.  We had been very friendly with this waiter all evening and his line about a recommendation was delivered with a smile, not as a real rebuke.  When he delivered the souffle he didn't go far, I suspect so that he could quickly whisk it away, which is exactly what happened.  As I noted above he did -- immediately-- offer to bring something else.

• Like 4

Prime C on our recent Onward cruise we enjoyed an excellent Chateaubriand. Another night we had their special of the night Dover Sole which was good. Turns out the Dover Sole in Aqualina was even better.

Had Steak Diane in Prime C one night and it was good but it had a little flavor of being cooked in a well used burnt pan or flattop which distracted from a very good dish Same taste on steak I had in Prime C.

So both were good but not outstanding.

• Like 1