Break a Leg... uh oh.

So we're a few days out from our cruise and my kid was set to get a cast off her leg this week.  But nope... doc says not quite healed and needs some more time.

An immediate groan and the sky is falling as she told her doc, "but I'm going on a cruise!"

Doc said it was healed enough to forgo the cast and do a walking boot, so she'd be more mobile and can enjoy some beach time without getting it wet.

She's still limping around and not able to put too much pressure on it.

We're doing the 5-day on wonder.

At first I thought...  lets just get help on/off the ship and she can use her boot onboard.  Our rooms near the elevators.... 

We stop in Cozumel and Coco Cay.

Coco cay has the trams  she'll be fine.

But Cozumel doesn't.  and that's a heck of a walk out to the taxi stand.

Then I started thinking Wonder's new she's going to want to see everything (even though she's been on allure like 10 times)

So was going to just rent a wheelchair....  or one of those knee walkers.  Anyone with experience with either.  I think our ship will be crowded. Worried she might get knocked off the knee walker in a crowd.  

Anyone have experience with kids and mobility on the ships?   Any suggestions?  If we skipped the chair rental, anyone know if there's complimentary scooters or something in Cozumel to get us to the taxi stand?

A few years ago I badly broke my right foot a few weeks before a cruise.

A knee walker worked just fine for me - and I was about 61 at the time. Amazon has several - just make sure you get one that fits her as they come in different sizes.

You can also get a transport wheel chair for not a lot of money. The transport ones are a lot smaller and much more lightweight, but she won't be able to wheel herself around.

When it's time to get on the ship, staff at the pier will put her in a wheelchair and take her on board if you need the help.

Hope that helps!

My wife broke her foot about month before we cruised.  We limited our activities and she was able to hobble around most of the time with a cane.  We were on a B2B.  Needed a wheel chair for turn around day, and RCI was able to help there.

44 minutes ago, RCCL Fan said:

Knee walker purchased and being sent via amazon to the hotel, pre-cruise.  Thanks so much!

Sorry for the bad news on her leg.  Pretty sure you made the right move.  See if anyone you know has one she could try out before you leave.  It might take a day or so to get it down where she knows what is comfortable for her and so she mobile in crowds with it.  

Bonus for her is she will get lots of sympathy attention.  I’m sure she would rather be walking, but the crew will probably be waiting on her hand and foot.  

If you are flying, watch out for swelling.  May need to ice it down after.  

Edited by topnole
  • Like 3

We took my wife's mother off the ship in a wheelchair in Cozumel.  Getting off the ship and to a cab was not an issue, but getting around in town was a real pain.  This is not a modern ADA-compliant US city - it's an old port city in Mexico.  The sidewalks are rough and narrow and often lack sloped transitions to cross the street.  The shops are small and often have step ups and down.  I'd avoid trying to do any touring/shopping in town.  If you do a beach or resort excursion, that might work out.  

• Like 1

I fractured my fibula last October. After the surgery,  was given crutches, to get around. Per advise from the surgeon,  I immediately got a knee walker from Amazon the next day. A life changer. I used it for two months until the cast and walking boot weren’t needed. The knee walker gave me so much more freedom and much easier to use than the &#$%$ crutches.

• Like 2

Get her a bike basket or something similar to hang on the handlebars. She won’t be able to carry anything not even her water bottle and a backpack or purse could be a distraction while she’s scooting around that causes her to fall. I used a knee scooter for a couple of months after foot surgery and the basket was the best addition! Bring zip ties to secure it on there so it doesn’t fall off when folding it up. Best of luck to your girl, hope you all have a fantastic cruise!

16 hours ago, RCCL Fan said:

Knee walker purchased and being sent via amazon to the hotel, pre-cruise.  Thanks so much!

Not sure which one you ordered, but DW got this one so she could sit and use her good leg to propel her around. It is very stable and easy to steer. She used this on several cruises with no issues.

58A7C6F7-1536-4DF9-AF0E-593F2952963C.png

Edited by orville99

4 minutes ago, BND said:

Not needed with boot and no cast

RCCL Fan mentioned in his original post that the Dr. didn’t want her to get the walking boot wet, and to me that implied a walking cast as opposed to the original cast. If it is in fact a removable boot, then you are correct.

I would have the scooter sent to your home so you can get it assembled and adjusted and she can get used to it at home.  

You can fly with it -- gate check it at the plane and it will be unloaded and brought to the jetway after the flight.  No extra charge for it as it's considered a medical device.

Boot does come off...   so showers are fine.

We fly out tomorrow,  so scooter wouldn't be promised before we leave for airport...  So it's going to the hotel in Miami.   We ordered wheelchair assistance for airport.

Checked with manufacturer (same one orville99 suggested)   and no tools needed for assembly.

We're in Miami 2-days before we set sail, so she'll have some time to practice.

thanks again everyone!

• Like 11

Hey stranger.... Great to see that you are still sailing. Sorry about your daughters predicament. I remember how she and her sister were all over the ship. This may slow her down, but I'm sure she will make do. Hope to be able to sail with you in the future. Hi to the wife and family.

Joe

1 hour ago, RCCL Fan said:

Checked with manufacturer (same one orville99 suggested)   and no tools needed for assembly.

They are simple to set up, and they collapse (somewhat) which makes them a bit easier to deal with. I believe the only difference between the knee scooter and the one we bought is the seat, so the scooter should be relatively stable. Your daughter should be able to adapt quite quickly to it. Enjoy the cruise.

4 hours ago, orville99 said:

RCCL Fan mentioned in his original post that the Dr. didn’t want her to get the walking boot wet, and to me that implied a walking cast as opposed to the original cast. If it is in fact a removable boot, then you are correct.

Walking boots come off. I've had one

4 hours ago, cruisingpeople said:

Hey stranger.... Great to see that you are still sailing. Sorry about your daughters predicament. I remember how she and her sister were all over the ship. This may slow her down, but I'm sure she will make do. Hope to be able to sail with you in the future. Hi to the wife and family.

Joe

Hey Joe!

We haven't stopped....   Allure, Wonder, Odyssey, and Navigator....  all in a years time.  In 2023 I think we'll need a cruising break.