Laundromat hours on Viking Sea

gailellen12

Good morning. One of the few remaining cabins on a Viking Sea cruise next year is in close proximity on the other side to the laundry. If the hours would be daytime I would have no problem with that. My concern is the shut down time in the evening. Also would most people be using the laundry on a 12 day cruise?  Thanks in advance

9 minutes ago, gailellen12 said:

Good morning. One of the few remaining cabins on a Viking Sea cruise next year is in close proximity on the other side to the laundry. If the hours would be daytime I would have no problem with that. My concern is the shut down time in the evening. Also would most people be using the laundry on a 12 day cruise?  Thanks in advance

Open 24 hrs.  But you won’t hear anything.  Rooms very quiet.  Go for it!  Most do laundry on sea days in the morning.  Would suspect days 5-6 and 10-11 would be busy.  Only 4 washers and dryers though so can’t be too many at a time.

I ditto CCWine.  We were 4+ months directly across from the laundry and were never disturbed day or night.  Even when two old guys got in a fight over a dryer.  Captain sent them home....  You can't make this stuff up.

• Haha 7

1 hour ago, CCWineLover said:

Open 24 hrs.  But you won’t hear anything.  Rooms very quiet.  Go for it!  Most do laundry on sea days in the morning.  Would suspect days 5-6 and 10-11 would be busy.  Only 4 washers and dryers though so can’t be too many at a time.

Exactly Kent.  I sometimes wished I was across for the convenience.  LOL.  Remember when you guys surprised me in the laundry at 5 am in my room robe and bed head hair?

Yes, people will be using laundry on a 12 day cruise.  Many people (like us) will come into a port a few days early to tour, especially if we have not been in this city before).  Also, we do not travel with a cruise worth of clothes….maybe 4-6 days? So yes, we do laundry regularly, even on a shorter cruise.

DH is an insomniac, so if he’s having a bad night, he will gather up laundry and do it at 2 or 3 am.  You will not hear anything…..in fact, you can stand outside the door and with all 4 washers and dryers going, not know it’s a laundry room without looking at the sign.  I’d have no problem with a room nearby, in fact…..the convenience would be great!

• Like 3

2 hours ago, gailellen12 said:

On our last cruise, we were in 6040, which is directly across from the laundry room; we never heard anything at all. Even better, we were able to put our laundry in, return to the stateroom, and pop back over easily to move laundry or remove it.

One of the other benefits is that the room is between the 2 elevator banks, so it's fairly easy to navigate the ship (so long as you turn the right way out the door, which for me was a 50/50 proposition).

We liked the room location so much that our stateroom on the next cruise is in the exact same location. 🙂

Edited by longterm
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

I echo comments of others who have had a cabin directly across from the laundry.  We were never disturbed by users at any hour. We found that the location was a great way to meet fellow passengers.  We also found that Viking's provide detergent did an excellent job and left no irritation.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, molymoo said:

Or … for our friend “duquephart” … the use of the laundry facility is included in the cost of your cruise so no additional charges apply. 

I just put my laundry in a bag and leave it on the bed. Comes back clean and folded later that day. Magic.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, duquephart said:

I just put my laundry in a bag and leave it on the bed. Comes back clean and folded later that day. Magic.

But not for free unless you are in a suite.

We send the big stuff out for cleaning and pressing but do the little things on our own.

15 hours ago, duquephart said:

This may be an unpleasant question to ask but...when they magically do your laundry for you in the suites, do they throw it in with other people's laundry, or is everyone's laundry done by itself?  We'll be in a suite our next cruise and I would love to have them do the laundry, but it creeps me out wondering if laundry is left in bags and everyone's bags are thrown in together.  Do they sort whites and colored?  

41 minutes ago, Sunflower & The Scientist said:

This may be an unpleasant question to ask but...when they magically do your laundry for you in the suites, do they throw it in with other people's laundry, or is everyone's laundry done by itself?  We'll be in a suite our next cruise and I would love to have them do the laundry, but it creeps me out wondering if laundry is left in bags and everyone's bags are thrown in together.  Do they sort whites and colored?  

Good question. I'm guessing laundry is co-mingled.

1 hour ago, Sunflower & The Scientist said:

The small washing machine has a 130 lb capacity, so they aren't doing each pax laundry individually. Prior to washing, each item you send to the ship's laundry has a tag, with the cabin number, affixed with a hot iron. 

We still find the tags still securely in place more than 2-years later.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, Sunflower & The Scientist said:

All that I know is that the laundry service has managed to get out stains of food I dribbled down my front, especially when I pointed it out.  They even got the chocolate stain out on a sweater that I brought on, thinking I had gotten the stain out and hadn’t.  So now, DH just tells me to send it to the ships laundry when I do this, don’t even bother trying myself!

I still have tags on clothes from out 2019 cruise too.  It’s a fun reminder.

Edited by Mich3554
  • Like 2

On 4/18/2022 at 5:09 AM, duquephart said:

I do too! Interesting though, my wife disappears about the same time as the laundry… very curious. 

• Haha 4

On 4/17/2022 at 8:37 PM, maryup said:

How much does it costs to use them?

$000.00 for each wash (including detergent) and dry. We have been very satisfied with results, clothes are well cleaned and come out as if we had washed them at home.  And,  for the price the machines and room are very well maintained. The laundry also has irons and ironing boards, if I recall correctly.