Can't use B of A credit card rewards if booked through travel agent...?

Almost time to make my final payment, and I happily contacted my travel agent to find out what I needed to do to use the points I'd accrued on my RCI B of A card for cruise discounts, which add up to more than I'd need for my final cruise payment.

Travel agent tells me he cannot redeem points, he can only charge the RCI B of A card for the remainder of the balance, and I'd need to work out any rewards with the credit card myself.

I'm attempting to contact Royal Caribbean to see if the cruise can be moved back to them (I had booked with them originally, then moved to this TA) so I can pay my balance with these points.  I'm on hour 2 on hold, but will have to cancel the cruise entirely with the TA and rebook with RCI directly if I can't figure this out.  

I just thought I'd throw the situation out there to the board, has anyone dealt with applying the Bank of America credit card rewards through a travel agent?

Thanks in advance...

Edited by Levi is good
I can't spell... ;) BANK of America, not "band..."

you just need one of these, you can download from royal.

SHAREHOLDER ONBOARD CREDIT OFFER REQUEST FORM

Name:________________________________________________________ Date:__________________ (owner of shares)

Ship:____________________________________________ Sailing Date:__________________________ Reservation number/s:__________________________________________________________________ Address: _____________________________________________________________________________ City:______________________________________________ State:______________________________ Phone:____________________________ Email:______________________________________________

Enclosed is the following proof of ownership documentation required to receive shareholder benefit offer: 􏰀 A photocopy of your current shareholder proxy card

or

􏰀 A current brokerage statement ( account number must be blacked out before submitting) showing proof of ownership of at least 100 shares of Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd.

Shareholder Onboard Credit Offer programs details are available on our website at: www.rclinvestor.com Signature: _____________________________________________________________

Please submit Shareholder Benefit Offer request along with current proof of ownership by mail, email or fax to:

Mailing Address: Fax: Email:
Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd. Investor Relations (305) 373-6699 shareholderbenefit@rccl.com 1050 Caribbean Way
Miami, FL 33132-2096

Page _____ of _____

• Like 1

1 minute ago, taglovestocruise said:

you just need one of these, you can download from royal.

SHAREHOLDER ONBOARD CREDIT OFFER REQUEST FORM

Name:________________________________________________________ Date:__________________ (owner of shares)

Ship:____________________________________________ Sailing Date:__________________________ Reservation number/s:__________________________________________________________________ Address: _____________________________________________________________________________ City:______________________________________________ State:______________________________ Phone:____________________________ Email:______________________________________________

Enclosed is the following proof of ownership documentation required to receive shareholder benefit offer: 􏰀 A photocopy of your current shareholder proxy card

or

􏰀 A current brokerage statement ( account number must be blacked out before submitting) showing proof of ownership of at least 100 shares of Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd.

Shareholder Onboard Credit Offer programs details are available on our website at: www.rclinvestor.com Signature: _____________________________________________________________

Please submit Shareholder Benefit Offer request along with current proof of ownership by mail, email or fax to:

Mailing Address: Fax: Email:
Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd. Investor Relations (305) 373-6699 shareholderbenefit@rccl.com 1050 Caribbean Way
Miami, FL 33132-2096

Page _____ of _____

OP asked about using points from the RC credit card.  You answered with information about being an owner of Royal Caribbean stock.

• Like 6

3 hours ago, Levi is good said:

Almost time to make my final payment, and I happily contacted my travel agent to find out what I needed to do to use the points I'd accrued on my RCI B of A card for cruise discounts, which add up to more than I'd need for my final cruise payment.

Travel agent tells me he cannot redeem points, he can only charge the RCI B of A card for the remainder of the balance, and I'd need to work out any rewards with the credit card myself.  

I just thought I'd throw the situation out there to the board, has anyone dealt with applying the Bank of America credit card rewards through a travel agent?

I used my Credit Card Rewards (not Bank of America) towards my drink package on my Allure cruise.  I just charged my drink package, and then called my Credit Card company to transfer my rewards to cover what I had just charged.  Easy peasy.

Good luck and enjoy your cruise!

• Like 2

What we usually do is charge our final payment (get double points for doing this), then when the next statement comes in with the charges, I call and have them use our points to pay it down.  Double dip! 

Sometimes we use some for shipboard credit.

• Like 3

I haven't done this for a few years.  (thanks Covid)  However, what I did was cash in 125k points for 2500 towards a cruise.  I would have that applied as a payment.  It was easy then.  I'm getting close to the 125k again.  I hope I don't need to come up with a new plan.

• Like 1

I think your TA is correct, he cannot redeem the points, that must be done through B of A. I have used points to reduce the final payment cost many times. I always redeem the points through the web site at least a month before final payment is due. By doing it ahead of time, the price is reduced in time so that my TA sees the lower amount as what's due when final payment is due. It sounds like you might be too close to final payment to make this happen. If you can't use the points in time to lower the final payment, you can always redeem some for OBC.

• Like 2

My question is.... How do I figure out how many points I have?  And logging into my BOA account has been a nightmare. Keep making me change my PW. Then does not auto save the new PW.  And is is better to use the points to pay down the final payment.. or is it better to get the OBC?

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, cruisegal40 said:

My question is.... How do I figure out how many points I have?  And logging into my BOA account has been a nightmare. Keep making me change my PW. Then does not auto save the new PW.  And is is better to use the points to pay down the final payment.. or is it better to get the OBC?

Your points should show on your monthly credit card statement. It's on the last page I believe.  I always use the points for onboard credit, and any credit left over at the end gets credited back to my credit card.

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, cruisegirl1976 said:

Your points should show on your monthly credit card statement. It's on the last page I believe.  I always use the points for onboard credit, and any credit left over at the end gets credited back to my credit card.

Thanks so much for this. Very helpful.  How many days do you transfer over to OBC for your cruise? Is there a certain number of days that I need to do that?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cruisegal40 said:

And is is better to use the points to pay down the final payment.. or is it better to get the OBC?

Personally I think it's better to use the points towards your cruise rather than OBC.  They're worth twice as much in some case.  We usually shoot for the 125k, and that gets us 2.5k off the cruise.  If we chose OBC, we could only get 1.25k.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Cigar King said:

Personally I think it's better to use the points towards your cruise rather than OBC.  They're worth twice as much in some case.  We usually shoot for the 125k, and that gets us 2.5k off the cruise.  If we chose OBC, we could only get 1.25k.

Have you ever upgraded your cabin after using your points?

• Like 1

When I log into the Bank of America site, I see (right under the line giving my current point total) a link on the home page that says "View MyCruise Points".  I click on that, and I get to a new screen with more details -- including a link "See Expiration Schedule" that will tell me exactly when the points will expire, and a button "Redeem MyCruise Points" where you can submit a redemption request.  I've only redeemed points for OBC, but that was easily done through the site and did not involve my TA at all.

• Like 1

Thank you kindly everyone, I appreciate the advice and all the insight. I think I understand what happened now. 

My TA was unfamiliar with the B of A card and how it works.  I will go straight from the rewards site to redeem.  

2 hours ago, Cigar King said:

Cigar King, how did you get so much?  All I see is that 50,000 points = $500, and so on...

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/content/dam/royal/resources/pdf/visa-signature/royal-caribbean-visa-signature-rewards-options.pdf

The website above by RC gives a great overview of the program.  There are special rules when you redeem the points for any item, especially for a cruise or companion fare.  You can't use it with all the special discount fare specials, such as "Going, Going, Gone" "Senior Rate",  or Resident Rate".

Companion Fares

Companion Fare Rewards are not valid on Christmas Sailings and New Year Sailings. MyCruise Companion Fare Reward redemptions may not be combined with Royal Caribbean Companion Fare Rewards, Cruise Rewards, Upgrade Rewards or other promotional coupons and/or other Crown & Anchor Society or Captain’s Club promotions and benefits. Companion Fares are also not combinable with restricted pricing including, but not limited to, Exciting Deals, Going-Going-Gone, Travel Partner Rates, Interline Rates, Net Rates, Residential Rates, Senior Rates, Military Rates and Buy One Get Second Person Half Off promotion. WOW Sale, Future Cruise or NextCruise benefits are not combinable with free cruise, upgrade, or companion fare redemptions. The guest or travel agent may call Royal Caribbean for details regarding combinability with Price Programs. Companion Fare Rewards are valid only for oceanview or veranda staterooms. Companion Fares are not applicable on new ships during their first 13 months in operation, also known as, their “Inaugural Season” or Galapagos voyages. Value of the redemption is subject to change and may be reassessed if there is any change in pricing on the reservation.

Cruise Vacations

Cruise Rewards are not valid on Christmas Sailings and New Year Sailings. Cruise Reward redemptions may not be combined with Royal Caribbean Companion Fare Rewards, Cruise Rewards, Upgrade Rewards, Cruise Discount Rewards, other promotional offers and/or other Crown & Anchor Society or Captain’s Club promotions and benefits. Cruise Fares are also not combinable with restricted pricing including, but not limited to, Exciting Deals, Going-Going-Gone, Travel Partner Rates, Interline Rates, Net Rates, Residential Rates, Senior Rates, Military Rates and Buy One Get Second Person Half Off promotion. The guest or travel agent may call Royal Caribbean for details regarding combinability with Price Programs. Cruise Rewards are valid only on oceanview or veranda staterooms. Companion Fares are not applicable on new ships during their first 13 months in operation, also known as, their “Inaugural Season” or Galapagos voyages. Value of the redemption is subject to change and may be reassessed if there is any change in pricing on the reservation.

55 minutes ago, GStanMus said:

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/content/dam/royal/resources/pdf/visa-signature/royal-caribbean-visa-signature-rewards-options.pdf

The website above by RC gives a great overview of the program.  There are special rules when you redeem the points for any item, especially for a cruise or companion fare.  You can't use it with all the special discount fare specials, such as "Going, Going, Gone" "Senior Rate",  or Resident Rate".

Companion Fares

Companion Fare Rewards are not valid on Christmas Sailings and New Year Sailings. MyCruise Companion Fare Reward redemptions may not be combined with Royal Caribbean Companion Fare Rewards, Cruise Rewards, Upgrade Rewards or other promotional coupons and/or other Crown & Anchor Society or Captain’s Club promotions and benefits. Companion Fares are also not combinable with restricted pricing including, but not limited to, Exciting Deals, Going-Going-Gone, Travel Partner Rates, Interline Rates, Net Rates, Residential Rates, Senior Rates, Military Rates and Buy One Get Second Person Half Off promotion. WOW Sale, Future Cruise or NextCruise benefits are not combinable with free cruise, upgrade, or companion fare redemptions. The guest or travel agent may call Royal Caribbean for details regarding combinability with Price Programs. Companion Fare Rewards are valid only for oceanview or veranda staterooms. Companion Fares are not applicable on new ships during their first 13 months in operation, also known as, their “Inaugural Season” or Galapagos voyages. Value of the redemption is subject to change and may be reassessed if there is any change in pricing on the reservation.

Cruise Vacations

Cruise Rewards are not valid on Christmas Sailings and New Year Sailings. Cruise Reward redemptions may not be combined with Royal Caribbean Companion Fare Rewards, Cruise Rewards, Upgrade Rewards, Cruise Discount Rewards, other promotional offers and/or other Crown & Anchor Society or Captain’s Club promotions and benefits. Cruise Fares are also not combinable with restricted pricing including, but not limited to, Exciting Deals, Going-Going-Gone, Travel Partner Rates, Interline Rates, Net Rates, Residential Rates, Senior Rates, Military Rates and Buy One Get Second Person Half Off promotion. The guest or travel agent may call Royal Caribbean for details regarding combinability with Price Programs. Cruise Rewards are valid only on oceanview or veranda staterooms. Companion Fares are not applicable on new ships during their first 13 months in operation, also known as, their “Inaugural Season” or Galapagos voyages. Value of the redemption is subject to change and may be reassessed if there is any change in pricing on the reservation.

It appears that we can’t use the rewards for a companion fare on a cruise that isn’t going to the Caribbean or on some Alaskan cruises.  So that leaves out my cruise from Rome. 

2 hours ago, Levi is good said:

Cigar King, how did you get so much?  All I see is that 50,000 points = $500, and so on...

I save the points, until they're either close to expiring or I get 125k.  We usually get the 125k first.  FWIW, I only use the card for purchasing cruises.  The points do add up though.  

That being said, I am thinking about dumping it at some point.  The perks are not really very good considering the other cards out there.  This is one more reason I only use it for cruises.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, cruisegal40 said:

Thanks so much for this. Very helpful.  How many days do you transfer over to OBC for your cruise? Is there a certain number of days that I need to do that?

It's a point system, so I believe for example if you have 25,000 points that you have accrued, you get a $250.00 OBC to use. I usually redeem my points about 2 months before my cruise, just to make sure it gets posted to the account, plus then you can use the OBC to pay for things on the cruise planner, like shore excursions, or the booze package. 

16 hours ago, Cigar King said:

You've mentioned this before and I've assumed it was a typo. Can you please explain how 125k points converts to $2.5k off the cruise fare? I've been using my card for years to get the price of my cruise reduced but it's always at the rate of 100 points = $1. How are you getting 2X for your points?

Here's the offer I redeem.  (They have a similar one for 50k points, but it is only good on short cruises which we typically don't take)  This is one of the 125k offers.

5 to 7 night Royal Caribbean Caribbean cruise, (minimum available oceanview stateroom); value of cruise vacation fare may not exceed two thousand five hundred dollars ($2,500 USD value)

I have used it a couple of times, and always got the full 2.5k.  I do make sure to redeem it on a more expensive cruise.  For example, next year we're on Oasis with some of my family, for Thanksgiving.  I'm planning on using it there.  If it matters, we're typically in a suite, so you don't need to stay in a OV stateroom to get the full value.  You get the value of the OV stateroom on that cruise.

For me this is really a 4 to one value, since I only use the card for cruises, which are already double points.  Really, it's the only reason I keep the card, because there are cards that have much better perks than this as a rule.

16 hours ago, Cigar King said:

That being said, I am thinking about dumping it at some point.  The perks are not really very good considering the other cards out there.  This is one more reason I only use it for cruises.

Same here. I know better cards are out there but I haven't taken the time to research them.