Advice on what type of room on MG for 5 adults?

Hi,

We have not been on a cruise in years and are thinking of a 7 night Mardi Gras cruise in May '23 to celebrate my daughter graduation college. It would be me and my husband, my 18 year old daughter (she is very very tall and we want her to sleep ok too) and the other daughter (21) and her boyfriend. We are not seeing any suites that are large enough for 5 adults (without using a pullman bed) - do those types of large suites not exist on Carnival? If we do 2 cabins that would be fine too (well assuming we could afford it!) and are intrigued by the Havana Cabana rooms and suites. I cannot seem to find info. on square footage or sleeping capacity or what makes the suites different from regular Havana Cabana rooms?? Can anyone fill me in? thank you

Honestly I'd price out 2 rooms. Rooms on the Mardi Gras are smaller than most other ships. It'd probably be fine some if those 5 were kids, but 5 adults will be tight.

What you'll find is that you are paying per person regardless of how many rooms you have. The difference is that you aren't getting that "discounted" rate for as many people after the first 2 in a room.

Edited by Pyxie

Get a Carnival PVP or Travel Agent and have them look for two either adjoining cabins, or two balconies that can have the partition between them opened. It will be like a suite, but with two separate bathrooms.

1 hour ago, BarefootMom said:

I cannot seem to find info. on square footage or sleeping capacity

This is a great website for deck plans.  If you hover over a cabin it will tell sq footage and other details.  Can also tell if its adjoining, etc., and check what's above and below it to see if its a good location (scroll all the way down to the bottom on the right - click 'cabin check tool').

https://www.cruisedeckplans.com/DP/deckplans/Carnival-Mardi-Gras

• Like 2

12 hours ago, BarefootMom said:

and are intrigued by the Havana Cabana rooms and suites.

We were recently in a Havana Cabana room (not suite) and absolutely loved it for the spacious outdoor patio/deck, but the room itself was just like the extended balcony room we'd previously had on Mardi Gras (not any larger) and they are pretty narrow. 

We are also a family of 5 adults of very similar ages, and in this case we had 3 people in the Havana Cabana and 2 people in the interior cabin across the hall.  In the Havana section of the ship, you can access the Havana Cabana patios from the Havana deck.  So the 2 in the interior cabin could still use our patio if we were asleep or not in the room, by approaching it from the deck side (if that makes sense...sorry, I feel like I'm not explaining it well).  It ended up working very well for us.  

If I were to do it again, I'd definitely consider 2 connecting rooms though (even interior) if it were a considerable cost savings.  There is so much to do on this ship, that we spent very little time in the room.  

The only cabin that will accommodate 5 adults would be an Excel Suite DS.  There are 4 of them on board 11363, 11359, 12367, 12363.  But 5 adults and 1 bathroom don't seem like a good mix.

Another option if you want to go with a value cabin would be the premium interior which is 4N or 4O.  The 4 N is on decks 4, 5, 9, 10.  There are 7 of these cabins together on deck 5 midship.  There are two pairs side by side on deck 9 forward.  With the 4O, these are on decks 11, 12, 14, 15.  The best are a pair on deck 15 in the aft, 15501, 15484 and they're side by side.  There are 3 sets of pairs on deck 11 forward.   Good luck.

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, BarefootMom said:

It would be me and my husband, my 18 year old daughter (she is very very tall and we want her to sleep ok too) and the other daughter (21) and her boyfriend. 

I would strongly recommend two cabins. Chances are that, on Carnival, it may be more cost effective to do two standard cabins than one suite that could accommodate 5 passengers, not to mention, how uncomfortable (and potentially awkward) it may be for mom and dad to share one cabin with a daughter and her boyfriend. 

I've priced out 2 cabins vs a suite several times, and almost every time, two cabins is more cost effective.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CarolSW said:

Seems to be a TA site only that I can’t enter.

Appreciate the effort to share, but it does not seem to work for most of us.

Thanks anyway!

I'm not a travel agent either, and I tried the link in incognito mode, so anyone should be able to click on the links on that page. It is a bit clunky to get around, but I've managed to fumble around it and find what I need. From that link I gave you, I clicked on Deck 10 (just to see) and it opens in a new window with this info - I just copied a bit of it.

Mardi Gras (MD) Stateroom Descriptions - Deck 10

Published 12/11/2018 12:55 PM   |    Updated 11/18/2021 11:45 AM
Launderettes: The Mardi Gras does not provide self-service washer and dryers. Ironing rooms (with 2 ironing boards and irons) can be located on Decks 4, 5, 9, 14 and 15. Valet Laundry Service is offered through your Stateroom Steward. 

Trundle Beds/Cribs: We do not provide trundle beds on the Mardi Gras; staterooms will accommodate a portable crib.

Smoking Policy: Smoking (cigarettes/cigars/tobacco pipes/e-cigarettes) is not permitted in staterooms and balconies.

Stateroom square footage is based on approximate dimensions; actual size may vary.

10201      Forward-View Extended Balcony (8L)          205/71 = 276 square feet                         
Beds: two twin beds (convert to king)
View: window and forward-view extended balcony; view is obstructed by steel railing; stationary glass windbreaker used to reduce wind
Bathroom: shower, toilet, sink
Features: flat-screen TV, telephone, 110 AC current, USB outlets, USB outlets, individual climate control, hair dryer, safe, non-stocked mini bar unit, 2-closets, desk and ottoman seat, sofa
Balcony Features: 2 patio chairs and table / balcony partition opens to: 10202 and 10203
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, BarefootMom said:

Thank you all -- I agree, 2 rooms seem to be a necessity!

Wise decision. We have sailed with 3 adults in one cabin (me, DH and DS) and it was doable, but cramped. You literally could not pay me to go on a cruise if I had to share a cabin with 4 other people.