Within 24 hours of Panorama's 7 day cruise, already regret it.

ashkir

52 minutes ago, MrMarc said:

I think this was on the May  30th cruise.  There were a number of groups of "kids", but one in particular seemed to be a real problem.  From what I understand there were 3 fights onboard, including one in the dining room.  From my point of view, something was just "off" on this cruise.  I have cruised many times, but never had to call security about being  harassed by other passengers (2 times).  The quality of the food and service just wasn't normal, and there was basically a strange "vibe" to the cruise.  From our group elsewhere I know that I am not the only one who noticed this.  Someone reported a crew member describing the passengers as feeling "on edge."  So I would not judge any other cruise based on this one.  I've been on over 20 cruises and have never experienced anything like it and do not expect to again.

As I've mentioned, I was on the same cruise (I even posted a review of it, although it went unnoticed once this thread was started) and found the food, service and entertainment to be excellent.  But as I've repeatedly mentioned, the etiquette was extremely poor.  I've posted many examples, and can keep posting more.  Like the family who heckled one of the comedians mid-show, booing and screaming 'you suck' (good example for your kids).  Or the families who felt entitled to bring their kids to the Serenity Deck.

When you drop the price to historical lows (the OP mentioned he paid $249 for his cruise; we paid even less via an offer ... in comparison, a 2003 LA Times article mentioned that $699pp fares were available on the Spirit, which - at the time - was taking over the same itinerary the Panorama does today, after Carnival moved to LB ... those $699pp fares, BTW, were half-off the brochure rate and tagged as Carnival's lowest ever), you're going to attract a new type of crowd.  And much of that was people looking to have a good time, with all-night partying and excessive drinking. 

But like I said... you can stay away from the drama (for the most time) and have a great time, spending way less than you otherwise would.

14 minutes ago, Itried4498 said:

As I've mentioned, I was on the same cruise (I even posted a review of it, although it went unnoticed once this thread was started) and found the food, service and entertainment to be excellent.  But as I've repeatedly mentioned, the etiquette was extremely poor.  I've posted many examples, and can keep posting more.  Like the family who heckled one of the comedians mid-show, booing and screaming 'you suck' (good example for your kids).  Or the families who felt entitled to bring their kids to the Serenity Deck.

When you drop the price to historical lows (the OP mentioned he paid $249 for his cruise; we paid even less via an offer ... in comparison, a 2003 LA Times article mentioned that $699pp fares were available on the Spirit, which - at the time - was taking over the same itinerary the Panorama does today, after Carnival moved to LB ... those $699pp fares, BTW, were half-off the brochure rate and tagged as Carnival's lowest ever), you're going to attract a new type of crowd.  And much of that was people looking to have a good time, with all-night partying and excessive drinking. 

But like I said... you can stay away from the drama (for the most time) and have a great time, spending way less than you otherwise would.

A great example of how people can have different experiences on the same ship at the same time.  I'm not really picky about service as a rule, but sitting in the main dining room for 10 minutes not even being approached by a waiter (and they were announcing "show time") is a bit much, especially after a 35 minute "10-20" minute wait for that table.  Or how about sitting at the sushi bar and not hearing a word from the chefs and not getting 1/2 of my order that I wrote down?  Or how about 1/3 of my medium filet being well done at the steakhouse? My guess is bad timing and bad luck on my part, because not everyone had experiences like this.  And I still had a great time.  It is also a perfect example of why you should depend on individual reviews of a ship.  There will be people on every cruise that have good experiences and others that have bad experiences.  I would never tell anyone not to go on the ship, just be aware that things can go wrong and you can enjoy yourself anyway.

But it was the passengers that made the cruise seem really strange.  I agree with everything you have said.  I have never been on a cruise where the passenger "vibe" was so bad.

Edited by MrMarc

42 minutes ago, Itried4498 said:

If you want visual proof, check out this pork chop from Lido

46 minutes ago, MrMarc said:

A great example of how people can have different experiences on the same ship at the same time.  I'm not really picky about service as a rule, but sitting in the main dining room for 10 minutes not even being approached by a waiter (and they were announcing "show time") is a bit much, especially after a 35 minute "10-20" minute wait for that table.  Or how about sitting at the sushi bar and not hearing a word from the chefs and not getting 1/2 of my order that I wrote down?  Or how about 1/3 of my medium filet being well done at the steakhouse? My guess is bad timing and bad luck on my part, because not everyone had experiences like this.  And I still had a great time.  It is also a perfect example of why you should depend on individual reviews of a ship.  There will be people on every cruise that have good experiences and others that have bad experiences.  I would never tell anyone not to go on the ship, just be aware that things can go wrong and you can enjoy yourself anyway.

But it was the passengers that made the cruise seem really strange.  I agree with everything you have said.  I have never been on a cruise where the passenger "vibe" was so bad.

I believe you had some poor meals in the restaurant.  We ate in the main dining room 10 times -- I thought the lasagna was terrible and the beef ribs were way too fatty for me to eat.  But both meals were readily replaced.  Overall I thought the food was excellent, but of course I'm not comparing it to Michelin quality :).

We added ourselves to the waitlist usually between 7-730PM.  After Sunday, all of the waits said "under 10 minutes," and typically we received a table assignment within 5 minutes.  The exception was Thursday formal, which was 60-70 minutes but we were seated in around 30 IIRC.

Like you said, different people have different experiences.  But many of the recent negative reviews (any ship, not just the Panorama) are largely because of the "vibe."  As I've mentioned many times, rock-bottom fares are going to attract new types of customers ... and mostly undesirable to veteran cruisers.  Instead of enjoying the hot tub with some empty nesters ready to retire, you're going to enjoy it with Mama June and Honey Boo Boo, who's been taken out of school for the week.  

Yes, it sucks.  But at least we're getting the same discounts.

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

On 5/9/2022 at 8:55 PM, pc_load_letter said:

I think first time cruisers will come back when testing is done away with, vax mandates dropped, kids clubs fully  open are all implemented.

I agree with that comment, but also many experienced cruisers will limit the amount of cruising until testing and vac mandates end.  I know that could be another 2 years from now, but that is how many cruisers feel.

We sail on the Panorama this Saturday. It will be our 39th cruise, with 5 cruises post pandemic.  This will be our last cruise until the testing requirement and vac mandate is removed. There are to many other travel options that do not burden you with this silliness!

• Like 5

6 hours ago, Itried4498 said:

I said I paid $249 for the spa add on. Not for the cruise fyi. I paid a hell of a lot more for the cruise for subpar service. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Itried4498 said:

Like you said, different people have different experiences.  But many of the recent negative reviews (any ship, not just the Panorama) are largely because of the "vibe."  As I've mentioned many times, rock-bottom fares are going to attract new types of customers ... and mostly undesirable to veteran cruisers.  Instead of enjoying the hot tub with some empty nesters ready to retire, you're going to enjoy it with Mama June and Honey Boo Boo, who's been taken out of school for the week.  

Yes, it sucks.  But at least we're getting the same discounts.

lol, we just got a great fare for Radiance in July. Put it on hold and purchased the next day. Went up $300 the day after that.

Carnival in July has me worried. Usually, wife and I always cruise off peak season (no summer)

1 hour ago, pc_load_letter said:

Carnival in July has me worried. Usually, wife and I always cruise off peak season (no summer)

We're with you. Generally we only sail from mid-September (after school starts) through April. Less kids and less college students trying to prove how drunk they can get. Of course the down side to that for some folks is rougher weather in the Gulf and Caribbean, but we actually enjoy a rocking ship.

On 5/11/2022 at 12:28 PM, MrMarc said:

I think this was on the May  30th cruise.  There were a number of groups of "kids", but one in particular seemed to be a real problem.  From what I understand there were 3 fights onboard, including one in the dining room.  From my point of view, something was just "off" on this cruise.  I have cruised many times, but never had to call security about being  harassed by other passengers (2 times).  The quality of the food and service just wasn't normal, and there was basically a strange "vibe" to the cruise.  From our group elsewhere I know that I am not the only one who noticed this.  Someone reported a crew member describing the passengers as feeling "on edge."  So I would not judge any other cruise based on this one.  I've been on over 20 cruises and have never experienced anything like it and do not expect to again.

We were also on this cruise...did not notice a strange vibe although I did see a video of the fight in the MDR. Mostly it seemed similar to the two other panorama sailings we have done. Had a great time .My only complaint is..I tested positive for COVID afterwards 😞 

30 minutes ago, pinto18 said:

We were also on this cruise...did not notice a strange vibe although I did see a video of the fight in the MDR. Mostly it seemed similar to the two other panorama sailings we have done. Had a great time .My only complaint is..I tested positive for COVID afterwards 😞 

It seems like quite a few people have tested positive based on posts elsewhere.

10 hours ago, sfaaa said:

Can't say I am surprised. From a few recent youtube videos I saw,  many passengers weren't masked up, buffet was back to self served and social distancing was hardly observed.  

Buffet has been self-serve almost since the return.  Masks are no longer required.  Social distancing on board has always been a joke.

Cruise at your own risk, but don't expect everyone to be as careful as you seem to think they should.

• Like 5

15 hours ago, sfaaa said:

Can't say I am surprised. From a few recent youtube videos I saw,  many passengers weren't masked up, buffet was back to self served and social distancing was hardly observed.  

No protocols are being followed.  Anecdotal evidence seems to show cruise and post-cruise cases are rising.  But don't try and state the obvious, reality is very upsetting to a lot of people right now.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Schoifmom said:

Buffet has been self-serve almost since the return.  Masks are no longer required.  Social distancing on board has always been a joke.

Cruise at your own risk, but don't expect everyone to be as careful as you seem to think they should.

This! Tired of all the whining about masks, utensils, covid and mandates being needed. Put your dang mask on if you want, no one is stopping anyone from doing that, the pontificating about what everyone else needs to do and the group think is irritating. Not everyone is in the same risk categories, protect yourself or simply don't cruise. It's fine the way it is, everyone gets to decide for themselves and you can have a regular cruise vacation or a modified cruise vacation (masks, avoiding others, staying in cabin etc) as one sees fit. Personal choice is awesome and the reason the lines are seeing fuller ships again. No one wants to go back to ghost ships and half empty ships that will bankrupt the lines, pressing on is the way forward for the industry. 

Edited by cruisingguy007
  • Like 10

7 minutes ago, cruisingguy007 said:

This! Tired of all the whining about masks, utensils, covid and mandates being needed. Put your dang mask on if you want, no one is stopping anyone from doing that, the pontificating about what everyone else needs to do and the group think is irritating. Not everyone is in the same risk categories, protect yourself or simply don't cruise. It's fine the way it is, everyone gets to decide for themselves and you can have a regular cruise vacation or a modified cruise vacation (masks, avoiding others, staying in cabin etc) as one sees fit. Personal choice is awesome and the reason the lines are seeing fuller ships again. No one wants to go back to ghost ships and half empty ships that will bankrupt the lines, pressing on is the way forward for the industry. 

This guy gets it!

Couldn't have said it better. Covid is endemic now.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, MrMarc said:

No protocols are being followed.  Anecdotal evidence seems to show cruise and post-cruise cases are rising.  But don't try and state the obvious, reality is very upsetting to a lot of people right now.

None of those things are in protocol or required. Cases ebb and flow everywhere all the time. The obvious reality is we need to move on. Don't get too upset.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, 2wheelin said:

None of those things are in protocol or required. Cases ebb and flow everywhere all the time. The obvious reality is we need to move on. Don't get too upset.

I've stopped getting upset, just shake my head.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, icft said:

We're with you. Generally we only sail from mid-September (after school starts) through April. Less kids and less college students trying to prove how drunk they can get. Of course the down side to that for some folks is rougher weather in the Gulf and Caribbean, but we actually enjoy a rocking ship.

We like to sail from the first couple weeks of December, then January, February, and the beginning of March. Not a lot of kids and the adults seem to behave themselves. The prices are a little better also.

• Like 2

We did this cruise pre-covid, in October with half capacity and mask mandates,  and two weeks ago with no mask mandate and full capacity. I ended up with Covid from this recent one. I don't blame carnival , I don't blame people not wearing masks because I was one of them..it just makes me wonder if they were too quick on getting rid of masks and filling ships up to capacity . 

• Like 3

COVID numbers are up everywhere, so it stands to reason they will go up for passengers on a cruise ship as well. We can just as easily get it at home right now. As someone said, take precautions for yourself to lessen the chances of getting it. That is what I plan to do in 2 weeks and the same thing I do anywhere I go around town.

Whoa.  I am definitely not a first time cruiser, but next year will be my first Carnival cruise on the Panorama and I've been a little hesitant about the whole thing and when I read this post and saw the word roaches I am almost ready to cancel my cruise.  I have NEVER seen them on any cruise I've taken and I would just die if I saw them in my cruise cabin.  It would likely ruin my vacation.  That may sound extreme to some, but I cannot deal with that.  I have a pretty severe aversion/phobia to that kind of thing and it really would ruin my trip.  This is a family trip for a special occasion with our daughter, her husband and our grandkids and her husband has never cruised and I am afraid this would ruin cruising for him if he had this experience the first time. 🙁  

1 minute ago, Coffeeluvr05 said:

Whoa.  I am definitely not a first time cruiser, but next year will be my first Carnival cruise on the Panorama and I've been a little hesitant about the whole thing and when I read this post and saw the word roaches I am almost ready to cancel my cruise.  I have NEVER seen them on any cruise I've taken and I would just die if I saw them in my cruise cabin.  It would likely ruin my vacation.  That may sound extreme to some, but I cannot deal with that.  I have a pretty severe aversion/phobia to that kind of thing and it really would ruin my trip.  This is a family trip for a special occasion with our daughter, her husband and our grandkids and her husband has never cruised and I am afraid this would ruin cruising for him if he had this experience the first time. 🙁  

Panorama is a great ship, don't worry, I'm sure you'll have a great time. I've sailed her twice and have two more lined up for next year on her as well. Believe me, that wouldn't be the case if she were a dirty ship or the experiences were poor. I'm very much looking forward to it.