Saint Greg's Splendor - Seattle to Alaska - Live - May 24-31

Saint Greg

6 minutes ago, Saint Greg said:

Thanks for following along. Lots and lots of stuff from this trip will be posted on my website throughout the course of the summer. Usually with better detail than I’m able to do live. 

Eleven weeks from Saturday I’m flying to New York City. 

I can tell you I’m going to be trying out the big front seats on Spirit for the first time. It’s the closest they have to first class. 

I’m staying 4 nights at the Warwick in NYC. I have tickets for a Mets game and several Broadway shows. And I’m going to be doing all of the sightseeing. It’s going to be Seattle on steroids. 

Then I board Carnival Magic for a 5-day overnight Bermuda cruise.

Should be a lot of fun. I’ll post that thread here. So if you subscribe here you’ll get the alert.

Thanks again for everything.  I’ll be looking forward to the New York/Bermuda thread!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Eli_6 said:

There were DEFINITELY signs of it around the ship if you were paying attention even for people who didn't get it. Lots of people in hazmat suits and with cleaning equipment.  I also had someone throwing up in the stall next to me by the main pool on day 4 or 5 of the cruise.  Super gross and I went back to my room and immediately took a shower.  I don't know why they would be out and about while still throwing up unless it was a staff member throwing up in the bathroom.

If I saw a person in a hazmat suit I would’ve posted the picture here. Maybe they were on your deck but not mine.

• Like 5

@Saint Greg....another TOP NOTCH REVIEW....thanks for all you do for us fellow cruisers.

Always enjoy seeing Alaska from another cruisers views!

Sounds like your Alaska cruise wet your appetite for Alaska as mine did.  Someday you should consider an interior trip, that would blow your socks off!  Denali is massive and wildlife abundant.  Check out Alaska Wildlife Adventures they do small group tours.  We did the 7 day Denali tour in 2014, 16 people with our own driver....of course no Alchemy is on an interior tour!

Now I have to find other reviews to hold me over for 11 weeks til your NYC trip.  I am NOT a city gal but will follow as you never disappoint.

See you over on The TRIBE!

• Like 5

Hi all!

Saint Greg ~ really enjoyed your cruise! Maybe next time pick an itinerary with Sitka, such a beautiful place. I really liked Icy Strait Point too, on both my Alaska cruises.

Lots to do in New York City, the HOHO bus is a great way to get an overview.  Ellis Island was amazing, Staten Island Ferry past the Statue of Liberty was free & the Highline was a nice way to spend an hour or so. I love NYC!! The 9/11 Memorial was sad of course but before I went I Googled who from my city died & looked them up on the wall. It added something to the experience.

Your reviews are always great, so I look forward to the next one.

Stay safe.

~ Jo ~ 😊

• Like 5

17 hours ago, Saint Greg said:

I’m staying 4 nights at the Warwick in NYC.

I was a manager with that company. Before the current owner bought it in 1980 The Warwick was part of the Lowes chain of hotels which was a division of MGM Studios. You may recognize this fellow who stayed there.

Elvis Presley outside the Warwick Hotel, New York City, photographed by Alfred Wertheimer, March 1956

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

The mail hold saga continues. I think my issues with mail hold have been documented on these threads over the years. First they never held it. I tried printing out the confirmation page and putting it in my box. They piled mail on top of it. The next time I made it like a pop-up book so it would pop up in their face when they opened the box. That worked the first time but not the second. Then I heard sometimes they don't get those online ones. It's better to fill out the card at the post office. So I started doing both  online and in person. I picked the deliver accumulated mail option. I had times where it worked. Times where they only held half of my mail. One time they delivered a bundle of someone else's mail. That's when I decided to start picking it up. Sometimes they have it. Sometimes they delivered it anyway.

In this case I've already checked my box so I know it wasn't delivered. I go to pick up my mail. The lady is back there for awhile. A long while. I was the only person in the place and now a line is forming. A long line. Finally she comes out empty handed. "You didn't get any mail, sir. NEXT!" Wait what? "You didn't get any mail." I didn't get any mail? "No." I've had it held since May 21st. It's June 1st. I didn't get a single piece of mail? "There's nothing back there, sir." In a week and a half I didn't even get a piece of junk mail? A sales paper? A political ad? Nothing? "There's nothing for you." There has to be something. I've never gone that long without mail. I know she didn't deliver it because I checked my box. "I'll go look again." She's gone for awhile again. A long while again. Then she comes back with my mail. "It was in an awkward spot."

• Like 11
  • Haha 10

13 minutes ago, Saint Greg said:

The mail hold saga continues. I think my issues with mail hold have been documented on these threads over the years. First they never held it. I tried printing out the confirmation page and putting it in my box. They piled mail on top of it. The next time I made it like a pop-up book so it would pop up in their face when they opened the box. That worked the first time but not the second. Then I heard sometimes they don't get those online ones. It's better to fill out the card at the post office. So I started doing both  online and in person. I picked the deliver accumulated mail option. I had times where it worked. Times where they only held half of my mail. One time they delivered a bundle of someone else's mail. That's when I decided to start picking it up. Sometimes they have it. Sometimes they delivered it anyway.

In this case I've already checked my box so I know it wasn't delivered. I go to pick up my mail. The lady is back there for awhile. A long while. I was the only person in the place and now a line is forming. A long line. Finally she comes out empty handed. "You didn't get any mail, sir. NEXT!" Wait what? "You didn't get any mail." I didn't get any mail? "No." I've had it held since May 21st. It's June 1st. I didn't get a single piece of mail? "There's nothing back there, sir." In a week and a half I didn't even get a piece of junk mail? A sales paper? A political ad? Nothing? "There's nothing for you." There has to be something. I've never gone that long without mail. I know she didn't deliver it because I checked my box. "I'll go look again." She's gone for awhile again. A long while again. Then she comes back with my mail. "It was in an awkward spot."

I would be insane.....and I just put in a hold for next week....we shall see what happens....we have a new mail guy....and he's for sure not like the old one....he was wonderful....retired now and I hope enjoying himself!!

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Saint Greg said:

Something I just remembered I thought was weird but forgot to mention. They required masks in the terminal for embarkation but not for debarkation.

Probably making sure nobody brought the c word on the ship, but didn’t care if they took it off the ship 🤣

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, jbhcw said:

I would be insane.....and I just put in a hold for next week....we shall see what happens....we have a new mail guy....and he's for sure not like the old one....he was wonderful....retired now and I hope enjoying himself!!

I had a good one at one point. But these last two....I don't think the elevator goes all the way up.

• Like 3
  • Haha 7

3 hours ago, Saint Greg said:

The mail hold saga continues....

You are not alone my friend. The U.S. postal service is completely unreliable. We have two houses about five miles apart (long story - retired - day house/night house - didn't want to move old cat - nice to get up and out of the house first thing ready for the day...). For about the last six years at the newer house we constantly get mail for other addresses and often don't get mail we know is coming. The old house we have lived in for almost forty years and had perfect (I mean perfect) service until our mail carrier changed a couple of years ago. Now for both houses hold mail may or may not work, at least twice a week we get other people's mail. At least once a month things like our electric or water bills never turn up (thank God for auto pay).

We are starting to go paperless even though we don't want to as we are getting old. Why not paperless? If you have ever been the executor of an estate you know why getting paper bills in the mail avoids a lot of headaches. But these days anything sent to you in the mail has a high chance of ending up in the hands of someone else. And the post office does not care. Try to complain. We gave up when every avenue led to a generic "we have noted... we compile statistics... reliable postal service is our highest priority..."

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, icft said:

We are starting to go paperless even though we don't want to as we are getting old. Why not paperless? 

I'm paperless on most things but some places don't give you the option. I only get one monthly bill through the mail. And it did come while I was gone. My dentist doesn't have a paperless option. I had something from him. A few things like that I had. If I could eliminate all non-amazon mail, I would. I don't think it can be done. Just ask Kramer.

Edited by Saint Greg
  • Like 2
  • Haha 7

13 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

Get  PO Box. Let the mail overflow. They have to hold it.

Don't want mail delivered to your home? Don't have a mail box. Problem solved. They will still deliver packages.

I’ve had one before. Think I paid $100/year back then. I’m sure it’s more now. Not excited about going to pickup all of my mail and paying for that right. Or waiting in line for things that won’t fit in the the box. It does sometimes end up in the wrong box as well.

Edited by Saint Greg

On 5/30/2022 at 6:16 PM, Saint Greg said:

Oh also Andy first applied for CD on royal. Got to the last interview and was told he needed experience.

On 5/30/2022 at 6:17 PM, Saint Greg said:

Then he applied for comedy club manager with carnival when he already had experience as a comedian.

I forgot to tell the last part of this story. His plan was to do one contract as comedy club manager then leave to be a travel blogger.

• Like 2