What can we bring on the ship?

Firepath

Oh there's a stated limit on cans now. Is that new? We've had no problem taking on lots of cans in the past.

I think on our last cruise pre-pandemic, we had something like 3 24-can cases of soft drink that I slapped luggage tags on, and they made their way safely to our stateroom along with our luggage 😄 (Diamond Princess out of Singapore)

3 hours ago, losfp said:

Oh there's a stated limit on cans now. Is that new? We've had no problem taking on lots of cans in the past.

I think on our last cruise pre-pandemic, we had something like 3 24-can cases of soft drink that I slapped luggage tags on, and they made their way safely to our stateroom along with our luggage 😄 (Diamond Princess out of Singapore)

Yes new since the restart.  

3 hours ago, losfp said:

Read the Passage Contract that was emailed to you. The Australian version is quite different in this respect. There appears to be no restriction on soft drinks.

28 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Read the Passage Contract that was emailed to you

I assume they are just like software terms and agreements. Everyone just clicks on OK without reading anything 😄

We've been able to bring on lots of soft drinks in Vancouver (Star Princess), Singapore (Diamond Princess) and Sydney (Majestic Princess). I'll double check the contracts for our next one on Majestic in Jan, curious to see what it says.

Although there might be a limit stated in their literature about soda & carrying on plastic bottles I had no problem with packing 6 one liter bottles in two suitcases in March at Ft Lauderdale.

The security doesn't seem to care about items like that. 

During a B2B I even got off to unload my suitcase filled with dirty clothes and brought back 8 one liter plastic bottles in my suitcase. It was the only thing in the suitcase so they couldn't have missed it.

I have previously carried on 12-18 cans of Diet Coke, and would continue to do so if I had an opportunity to buy a 12 pack after my flight.  I noticed Princess now offers to deliver cans of soda or  bottled water to your cabin for a little under $12, certainly much more expensive than the grocery store but less than purchasing individually at the bar.  

• Like 1

14 hours ago, losfp said:

I assume they are just like software terms and agreements. 

Not quite.

They list prohibited items and those do change from time to time, and may differ depending on cruise region. The AUS wine and soft drinks section is different to the US one, in fact soft drinks aren't even mentioned on our one. 

Definitely worth having a quick read over each time, especially after such a break from cruising, and especially if cruising in a different region to your usual one.

30 minutes ago, mevs904 said:

Yes, I reread the post and see what you mean.  We don’t bring water onboard, but the idea of canned water is not very appealing.

I think there were too many people bringing bottles of "water" aboard that were actually resealed bottles containing vodka or other clear liquors. Granted, this was mostly an issue on Carnival but it was extended to Princess cruises as well. We used to bring a brand of bottled water (Propel) that my wife liked but had to quit doing so due to changes. Now that we book with Princess Plus it really isn't an issue. (Of course I fully expect John Padgett to change or drop Princess Plus in the near future. Anything that is "good for the customer" is likely to be removed by this $W5q8!# person.)

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 8

18 hours ago, GloriaF said:

I have previously carried on 12-18 cans of Diet Coke, and would continue to do so if I had an opportunity to buy a 12 pack after my flight.  I noticed Princess now offers to deliver cans of soda or  bottled water to your cabin for a little under $12, certainly much more expensive than the grocery store but less than purchasing individually at the bar.  

But less variety than what is available at home to bring onto the ship.

5 hours ago, mevs904 said:

Where does it say that bottles of water are not allowed.  A number of passengers routinely do this.

They continue to do so only because their ridiculous rule is overlooked by security. 

5 hours ago, Thrak said:

I think there were too many people bringing bottles of "water" aboard that were actually resealed bottles containing vodka or other clear liquors. 

If they were true then why do they still allow wine to be carried onboard in resealable  bottles to this day? 

23 hours ago, GloriaF said:

Is that $12 for a case of 12?  Is that something you saw on the ship or read online?  Thanks.

8 hours ago, Thrak said:

Of course I fully expect John Padgett to change or drop Princess Plus in the near future. Anything that is "good for the customer" is likely to be removed by this $W5q8!# person.)

Thank you for saying that. How many new posts, from new or longtime Princess cruisers are like this one, about the ambiguity of what or what not to do, even the hot button issue of what to wear on a Princess cruise and what is allowed, covered or excluded. Or, how to do the simplest function on the infuriating app. In business, there is profit in confusion; the more confusion, the more profit. Attempt to create problems and then offer moneymaking solutions. You are right, it is not about the good of the customer but what is the most profitable.

5 hours ago, MissP22 said:

If they were true then why do they still allow wine to be carried onboard in resealable  bottles to this day? 

Who on earth would open a bottle of wine, pour it out, refill it with other wine or alcohol just to sneak it on in this day of Princess plus & premier?? 

Found thisScreenshot_20220518-082925_Chrome.thumb.jpg.ce60b64db053d5c3ecb487d9638f6021.jpg

I consider that quite reasonable. Why would I bother to bring water in paper??

Edited by Ombud
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Thrak said:

I think there were too many people bringing bottles of "water" aboard that were actually resealed bottles containing vodka or other clear liquors. Granted, this was mostly an issue on Carnival but it was extended to Princes s cruises as well.We used to bring a brand of bottled water (Propel) that my wife liked but had to quit doing so due to changes. Now that we book with Princess Plus it really isn't an issue. (Of course I fully expect John Padgett to change or drop Princess Plus in the near future. Anything that is "good for the customer" is likely to be removed by this $W5q8!# person.)

Actually NCL was the first to ban water bottles.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Willwils said:

Not allowing bottles of water is ridiculous!

12 hours ago, mevs904 said:

Yes, I reread the post and see what you mean.  We don’t bring water onboard, but the idea of canned water is not very appealing.

Many cruise lines and other business are making this switch because it is much more environmentally friendly.  Metal cans have on average 68% recycled content compared to just 3% for plastic bottles.  

That said, I personally agree with you that metal canned water has a bit of an unpleasant taste/feel for some reason.  My solution is to bring my own insulated refillable water bottle (I have one from Contigo I love, but there are lots of good ones out there), and fill it up at the water stations on the ship.  The insulated bottles have gotten so good these days, I can add a few ice cubes from the drink station and it stays icy cold all day and all night.

• Like 1

I was slightly worried my 32oz Hydroflask bottle filled with ice and water would get dumped by security like it was on my last NCL cruise, but they didn't seem to care.  After reading this I will verify before my next cruise about bringing on some more varieties of diet beverages as most cruise lines suck with these.