Onboard Testing Prior to Arrival in Bermuda

ZipGirl

There will never be onboard testing prior to arriving in Bermuda.  Celebrity will change the itinerary before they test a couple thousand people.  They don’t want to find Covid on board.  I’m on the current Summit sailing and we were notified of the change a couple days before departure 

18 hours ago, Ipeeinthepools said:

There will never be onboard testing prior to arriving in Bermuda.  Celebrity will change the itinerary before they test a couple thousand people.  They don’t want to find Covid on board.  I’m on the current Summit sailing and we were notified of the change a couple days before departure 

This makes more sense to me, tbh. Our cruise in July is set up with two at sea days before we arrive in Bermuda and one on the way back. I figured if they changed the itinerary to 1 day to get there and 2 to get back, the testing problem is solved.

18 hours ago, Ipeeinthepools said:

Bermuda is a port on our fall trans atlantic so will be well past 2 days. Perhaps the rule will change by then.. About day 10 I think.

24 minutes ago, gold1953 said:

Bermuda is a port on our fall trans atlantic so will be well past 2 days. Perhaps the rule will change by then.. About day 10 I think.

Are you on the Silhouette?  I posted this yesterday on the 10-20-22 roll call...

Apologies in advance if this message is a "Wet blanket" for some..., but I feel a little head's up is only fair.

Re: Bermuda:  I realize October is a long way off (Five months, right?) however we are sailing on the Summit on June 2 and yesterday received official word from X that our itinerary has changed to go to Bermuda FIRST, followed by Charleston, SC (the two ports planned).  Why this change?  It is due to Bermuda's Covid restrictions which calls for the cruise line to test all passengers if Bermuda is not the first port of call.  So X switched the sequence, putting us in Bermuda on the weekend where public transit is much less available, and needing to tender in on two of our three days there.

If Bermuda does not change their covid testing requirement by October I would fully expect that X will change the itinerary and Bermuda will be dropped.  It is apparent that X really does not want to test the entire passenger compliment.

Would the ship stop somewhere else?  Who knows.  I wouldn't mind a day in Bimini or a visit to Labadee..

19 hours ago, Ipeeinthepools said:

How did the whole $40 Bermuda charge work out?   I signed up a week ago for the wife and myself, and it is currently pending.  When did they send your approval?    TY

25 minutes ago, Hawkstar33 said:

How did the whole $40 Bermuda charge work out?   I signed up a week ago for the wife and myself, and it is currently pending.  When did they send your approval?    TY

It's a ripoff. We sail Monday...paid our $40 and still haven't received the email for the link to upload test results. Sent 2 emails (no response or reply, have been calling since yesterday, with no success. I'm on hold now for close to an hour. And Celebrity canceled our stop in Newport. A moneymaker for Bermuda. Ridiculous and pathetic.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, StartrainDD said:

Are you on the Silhouette?  I posted this yesterday on the 10-20-22 roll call...

Apologies in advance if this message is a "Wet blanket" for some..., but I feel a little head's up is only fair.

Re: Bermuda:  I realize October is a long way off (Five months, right?) however we are sailing on the Summit on June 2 and yesterday received official word from X that our itinerary has changed to go to Bermuda FIRST, followed by Charleston, SC (the two ports planned).  Why this change?  It is due to Bermuda's Covid restrictions which calls for the cruise line to test all passengers if Bermuda is not the first port of call.  So X switched the sequence, putting us in Bermuda on the weekend where public transit is much less available, and needing to tender in on two of our three days there.

If Bermuda does not change their covid testing requirement by October I would fully expect that X will change the itinerary and Bermuda will be dropped.  It is apparent that X really does not want to test the entire passenger compliment.

Would the ship stop somewhere else?  Who knows.  I wouldn't mind a day in Bimini or a visit to Labadee..

I suspect that my October cruise will drop Bermuda as a port if Bermuda does not change its testing requirements.  It's not needed as there are other "distant foreign ports" and the present setup is a major headache.

2 hours ago, inforem said:

It's a ripoff. We sail Monday...paid our $40 and still haven't received the email for the link to upload test results. Sent 2 emails (no response or reply, have been calling since yesterday, with no success. I'm on hold now for close to an hour. And Celebrity canceled our stop in Newport. A moneymaker for Bermuda. Ridiculous and pathetic.

How understandable...

When I called the Bermuda Dept of Health as we did not received everyone's link to upload docs, I was on hold for 52 minutes and that was because there were 67 callers before me at 8a EST, not sure when you called yet they do announce how many callers are ahead and "the wait time is more than nine (9) minutes" not sure how one does not hear that info to judge how they may choose to approach the issue. Clearly for me it is/was in my best interest to hold and speak to someone about the situation I encountered.

Since I have a speaker phone on my cell phone, I waited and waited and the count down was getting closer to me. I eventually went to get a quick takeout breakfast and the number of callers before me was 20... by the time I returned to the office there were six (6) and within 12 minutes after that announcement someone picked up the call and I was able to conclude my business.

If I recollect, correctly, you have leveled this accusation before at the Government of Bermuda without any sources of proof and not it sounds like an attack because you have to pay for a Travel Authorization when you may or may not believe you need or have to under any circumstances.

What 'may be 'ridiculous and/or pathetic' are those of us who will preserver to board The Summit regardless of our thoughts and beliefs on the situation. The other real option is to just be a no-show and let it go or better yet, cancel today to get some type of compensation, if still available.

bon voyage

On 5/19/2022 at 2:34 PM, Ipeeinthepools said:

Boy this is true.  These cruise lines just want to get people onboard and then off and not have to worry about covid. 

6 hours ago, ZipGirl said:

This makes more sense to me, tbh. Our cruise in July is set up with two at sea days before we arrive in Bermuda and one on the way back. I figured if they changed the itinerary to 1 day to get there and 2 to get back, the testing problem is solved.

If Bermuda is the first port an onboard test is not required. They won't change the itinerary. If Newport or some other port is before Bermud they have been changing the itinerary. 

In think all the Celebrity July sailings are Bermuda only so won't be modified. You will get tested before embarkation and do the travel authorization. ( if it is still required)

Edited by Charles4515

15 minutes ago, Trixsea said:

Newport just added back to Mondays sailing.  Can't make this stuff up...

I can think of two reasons that might be. Reason #1 . The tendering has drawn a lot of complaints. Or Reason  #2 is that Friday is the Bermuda Day holiday. A very import holiday. The dock workers and the pilot boat operators might not have ageeed to work. Unions are very strong in Bermuda. 

Or Bermuda has modified their protocol. There have been  ongoing discussions between Bermuda and the cruise lines. The cruise lines wan't the TA modified or ended. 

Edited by Charles4515

3 hours ago, Happy Cruiser 6143 said:

I suspect that my October cruise will drop Bermuda as a port if Bermuda does not change its testing requirements.  It's not needed as there are other "distant foreign ports" and the present setup is a major headache.

Bermuda isn't a "distant foreign port" for purposes of the PVSA, if that's what you are referring to.   But there are certainly many other foreign ports around for purposes of a closed loop cruise from the U.S.

10 hours ago, ZipGirl said:

Not sure of the issue if you have 2 sea days why aren't you within the window allowed by Bermuda?  You are within the 4 day window.

5 hours ago, Turtles06 said:

Bermuda isn't a "distant foreign port" for purposes of the PVSA, if that's what you are referring to.   But there are certainly many other foreign ports around for purposes of a closed loop cruise from the U.S.

Well, if Bermuda isn't a "distant foreign port," how did Celebrity get away with having a cruise that went from Cape Liberty to Bermuda, then to Charleston, then back to Cape Liberty?  That was our itinerary on the May 4 Summit cruise.

13 minutes ago, Happy Cruiser 6143 said:

Well, if Bermuda isn't a "distant foreign port," how did Celebrity get away with having a cruise that went from Cape Liberty to Bermuda, then to Charleston, then back to Cape Liberty?  That was our itinerary on the May 4 Summit cruise.

Because closed loop cruises (RT Cape Liberty, in this case) only have to call at a foreign port, but not a distant foreign port. 

14 minutes ago, Happy Cruiser 6143 said:

That is a closed loop itinerary. They don’t need a distant foreign port on a closed loop itinerary. All they need is a foreign port. 

6 hours ago, Turtles06 said:

24 minutes ago, Happy Cruiser 6143 said:

I pre-emptively dealt with your question by pointing out that there were plenty of other foreign ports available for a closed loop cruise. 

9 hours ago, Charles4515 said:

I can think of two reasons that might be. Reason #1 . The tendering has drawn a lot of complaints. Or Reason  #2 is that Friday is the Bermuda Day holiday. A very import holiday. The dock workers and the pilot boat operators might not have ageeed to work. Unions are very strong in Bermuda. 

Or Bermuda has modified their protocol. There have been  ongoing discussions between Bermuda and the cruise lines. The cruise lines wan't the TA modified or ended. 

They added Newport back for our 5/23 sailing but kept our Bermuda days in tact. We were never going to tender and we were still going to Bermuda on Bermuda day, with or without Newport.  Someone on the roll call surmised Newport wouldn't refund the port charges. Who knows... the whole thing is a stressful mess.

13 hours ago, Turtles06 said:

Has anyone else ever run into this?  I’m currently on the Summit and we were in Charleston yesterday and we ran into a woman who had to disembark the ship due to a medical issue at home.  She claimed that she had to pay $843 to leave the ship because she was violating the “Jones Act “.  The woman was distraught and I don’t know if “Jones Act” is the correct regulation but at least according to her there wasn’t any exception for emergencies.

Just didn’t seem fair.

19 hours ago, Hawkstar33 said:

It’s a PIA.  Everything uses the email address you supplied.  Some people have suggested to check your smoking folder.  The bottom line is they hardly ever send the approval without calling.  So if it were me, I would wait a few hours after I submitted my Covid test results and then call the toll free number.  Make sure you use the toll free number because you will be on hold 60 - 90 minutes.  Don’t get discouraged if you are caller 91 because the numbers go down about one spot every minute.  So as Bo has suggested just put your phone on speaker phone and wait.  It will take less than a minute to get approval.  Make sure you let them know how many forms you need approved at the beginning of the call so they don’t hang up early and have the numbers for all applications you need approved.  But even after your application is approved you are not done.  The approval gets you a form to complete for your Green entry visa. You need to initial this form and sign it in the box with your finger or cursor.  You submit this form and then you get the actual Green Entry form.  It would be better if you can print out this form but they appear to accept electronic copies.  Two final suggestions.  If you are going to use an electronic copy, save this form on your phone so you don’t rely on the internet to go back and access your document.  Second if you are using the eMed self test, the results sent to you electronically are password protected so if you upload that file, it will be rejected because Bermuda can’t read the password protected file.  You need to print off the eMed results file and rescan it or take a picture of the results and submit your copy of the results.

Good Luck

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Ipeeinthepools said:

Has anyone else ever run into this?  I’m currently on the Summit and we were in Charleston yesterday and we ran into a woman who had to disembark the ship due to a medical issue at home.  She claimed that she had to pay $843 to leave the ship because she was violating the “Jones Act “.  The woman was distraught and I don’t know if “Jones Act” is the correct regulation but at least according to her there wasn’t any exception for emergencies.

Just didn’t seem fair.

The PVSA. I might be wrong but I think there can be exceptions for emergencies but a medical issue at home must not one of them. It is up to immigration and customs. They may think anyone could claim an issue at home as a loophole for getting off early. If she had the emergency or a family member she was traveling with they might have made an exception but I am not sure about it. I don’t recall  anyone who had to leave because they were ill mentioning the fine. Maybe everyone gets fined. 

Edited by Charles4515

1 hour ago, Charles4515 said:

The PVSA. I might be wrong but I think there can be exceptions for emergencies but a medical issue at home must not one of them. It is up to immigration and customs. They may think anyone could claim an issue at home as a loophole for getting off early. If she had the emergency or a family member she was traveling with they might have made an exception but I am not sure about it. I don’t recall  anyone who had to leave because they were ill mentioning the fine. Maybe everyone gets fined. 

I believe the ship gets fined, thus passing along to the cruiser.  I read about a similar situation on the Princess board.  This cruiser left from Los Angeles, and she decided to get off in a Hawaiian port and fly home.  She also had to pay a fine before leaving ship.

• Thanks 1