To test or not to test, that is the question. (precruise testing)

coldinerie

I have a cruise on June 5, 2022.  I had COVID beginning May 16, 2022, and have fully recovered.  I have been boosted 2x, so I have 4 vaccines.  I did a home rapid test to diagnose my COVID.

What does this mean for my pre cruise COVID test?  Do I need to take one?  I do not have proof of the positive COVID.  Thoughts?  

What do Carnivals protocols say on their website? If you don't have medical proof of having covid or recovery then you would have to test one would presume. Anyone could make that claim in order to get out of testing. You should have went to a clinic since you had a cruise coming up.

Edited by tallnthensome
  • Like 1

I would never get on a cruise ship who have let up on the pre testing protocols.  Anyone can make claims on how safe they think they are but we know better that people will feel a little sick prior to a cruise but still travel regardless.

Cruise ships have a dilemma because there is no escaping the fact that you have thousands of people in a confined space and illness will spread no matter what you try to do.

So pre testing is the only way to at least try to prevent spread of Covid by assuring it doesn’t get on the ship to start with.  And I know it’s not perfect but until someone comes up with a better way, that’s what’s going to make me feel better about getting on a cruise ship.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, coldinerie said:

I have a cruise on June 5, 2022.  I had COVID beginning May 16, 2022, and have fully recovered.  I have been boosted 2x, so I have 4 vaccines.  I did a home rapid test to diagnose my COVID.

What does this mean for my pre cruise COVID test?  Do I need to take one?  I do not have proof of the positive COVID.  Thoughts?  

Yes.

• Like 1

Take a rapid test.   You're probably beyond the threshold where the anitbodies still show up on the nasal passages.    These tests are quick and easy to both administer and receive.   Never understood the hesitancy for taking tests, other than the fear one may have COVID.  

10 minutes ago, crewsweeper said:

Take a rapid test.   You're probably beyond the threshold where the anitbodies still show up on the nasal passages.    These tests are quick and easy to both administer and receive.   Never understood the hesitancy for taking tests, other than the fear one may have COVID.  

I can understand the original posters concern of still testing positive in the three weeks time of testing positive for covid and their cruise departing. That's their concern.

• Like 1

You will need proof of a negative COVID test (not self-administered) taken 72 hrs or less before boarding. If you had proof from a doctor/lab of your positive COVID result, the protocols would be different.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, tallnthensome said:

I can understand the original posters concern of still testing positive in the three weeks time of testing positive for covid and their cruise departing. That's their concern.

A rapid test 3 weeks after contracting Covid  should show negative.  Worked for me 2 weeks after, but not under 10days.

Agree with others that without proof of the positive Covid, you’ll need to take the test. 

That’s why if I tested positive, I would make sure I went to a lab/pharmacy or doctor to get that proof. Get outta taking those tests then. 

7 hours ago, coldinerie said:

It think this has been answered well, but why not one more!  Haha. 

Since you don't have proof of the positive test, a cert of recovery is not an option.  Your only option is a negative test result prior to boarding.   

You don't say what your home test is showing.  Are you testing negative now?  If so, then you should be good.   

7 hours ago, coldinerie said:

https://www.carnival.com/Legal/covid-19-legal-notices/covid-19-guest-protocols?icid=advisory_cruisehealth_040122

please read Carnival's covid policies

no matter what you read on here

if you pay attention to this site you will watch the ship sail away from the pier, a lot of misinformation from people just trying to be helpful to try to help people who think they're too cool to read Carnival's site. read Carnival's site for yourself.

• Like 1

On 5/23/2022 at 1:07 PM, mz-s said:

https://www.carnival.com/Legal/covid-19-legal-notices/covid-19-guest-protocols?icid=advisory_cruisehealth_040122

please read Carnival's covid policies

no matter what you read on here

if you pay attention to this site you will watch the ship sail away from the pier, a lot of misinformation from people just trying to be helpful to try to help people who think they're too cool to read Carnival's site. read Carnival's site for yourself.

You really don’t get Cruise Critic do you.

I agree people should read the fine print but it’s the experiences and opinions that help the cruise experience overall. It’s the sharing of tricks and knacks that you can’t get off of some of these cruise sites

• Like 2

You need to test, since you don't have medical proof. The good news is that it's easy to find a test now. I always have a supply of monitored home tests ordered through Optum, and Carnival usually has terminal testing options, and many ports have same-day tests available nearby. 

23 minutes ago, Luckiestmanonearth said:

You really don’t get Cruise Critic do you.

I agree people should read the fine print but it’s the experiences and opinions that help the cruise experience overall. It’s the sharing of tricks and knacks that you can’t get off of some of these cruise sites

The problem is there is misinformation on here every day from people just trying to help. If you listen to it, you'll be watching the ship sail away from the pier and the staff on the pier won't care when you say "so and so on cruise critic said it would be fine". They'll point you to Carnival's site and say, them's the rules.

• Listen folks, I am good.  Went to Walgreens, got a + test result which are 12 days out from sailing.  I now have my proof of recovery. I had no intentions of blindly listening to the folks on cruise critic. This use to be a fun and helpful site, been a member since 06. Not so much anymore.🙄
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, coldinerie said:
  • Listen folks, I am good.  Went to Walgreens, got a + test result which are 12 days out from sailing.  I now have my proof of recovery. I had no intentions of blindly listening to the folks on cruise critic. This use to be a fun and helpful site, been a member since 06. Not so much anymore.🙄

Congratulations.  Don't forget the Certificate of Recovery from your doctor and your vaccination record when you try to head off.

There is no Certificate of Recovery from your doc needed.  Here is what Carnival says on the website:

'A Document of Recovery is accepted from both fully vaccinated and unvaccinated guests (with a Carnival-approved exemption) and consists of a paper or electronic copy of the positive viral test result from a certified laboratory (dated no more than 90 days prior to the sailing date)."

1 hour ago, coldinerie said:

There is no Certificate of Recovery from your doc needed.  Here is what Carnival says on the website:

'A Document of Recovery is accepted from both fully vaccinated and unvaccinated guests (with a Carnival-approved exemption) and consists of a paper or electronic copy of the positive viral test result from a certified laboratory (dated no more than 90 days prior to the sailing date)."

Yes, that seems to be the case.  It's great that Carnival leaves the determination of 'fully recovered' up to the passenger; what could possibly go wrong?

1 hour ago, d9704011 said:

Yes, that seems to be the case.  It's great that Carnival leaves the determination of 'fully recovered' up to the passenger; what could possibly go wrong?

It almost reads like positive COVID tests are acceptable for boarding, since they didn’t put anything about minimum timelines. 

• Like 1

We all will have 100 different views if we read the same information 100 times. Just do the right thing to protect yourself, your family and your Carnival cruise mates that will be sailing with you; get tested please !  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, d9704011 said:

The document of recovery is signed by a doctor attesting to your recovery. I haven’t looked lately but the statement originally said your infection and positive test must have been either 10 or 14 days prior to sailing and we know that people are not infectious longer than that. That is why the work around was created—for those who test positive long after they are infectious.

On 5/23/2022 at 6:00 AM, Luckiestmanonearth said:

I would never get on a cruise ship who have let up on the pre testing protocols.  Anyone can make claims on how safe they think they are but we know better that people will feel a little sick prior to a cruise but still travel regardless.

Cruise ships have a dilemma because there is no escaping the fact that you have thousands of people in a confined space and illness will spread no matter what you try to do.

So pre testing is the only way to at least try to prevent spread of Covid by assuring it doesn’t get on the ship to start with.  And I know it’s not perfect but until someone comes up with a better way, that’s what’s going to make me feel better about getting on a cruise ship.

I agree. I personally would never book on a line that does not require pre-testing.  People can not be trusted to do the right thing.  It's a sad fact but they just can't... 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Veinless said:

It almost reads like positive COVID tests are acceptable for boarding, since they didn’t put anything about minimum timelines. 

They put in a 10 day minimum. So if a positive test is under the 10 days, you need a negative test. 

Edited by Hoosierpop

I’m going thru the same thing right now, but don’t cruise until June 29 so I think I should be ok. I tested positive on Wednesday for the first time, so will be just over a month out. I did go to walgreens for a lab test on Thursday, and will notify my doctor of the results this week. Stressful, right??? I have my eMed test already so I’m fine with taking the test, but I want to make sure I’m still not positive for some crazy reason. I guess I’m super immune now, since I’ve had 4 shots now…..

• Like 1

7 hours ago, kona_wahine said:

I’m going thru the same thing right now, but don’t cruise until June 29 so I think I should be ok. I tested positive on Wednesday for the first time, so will be just over a month out. I did go to walgreens for a lab test on Thursday, and will notify my doctor of the results this week. Stressful, right??? I have my eMed test already so I’m fine with taking the test, but I want to make sure I’m still not positive for some crazy reason. I guess I’m super immune now, since I’ve had 4 shots now…..

Maybe I’m confused but why are you stressing out? If you have evidence of a positive test, you’re good to go. You don’t need anything from your doctor and you don’t need to retest.