Why do I need Princess Premium

CU64

1 hour ago, CU64 said:

Used Princess Plus twice now. Had no problem ordering grey goose martini, Negroni, crown Royal Manhattan. They fit in under $12.

You don't need it.  You can just pay the difference in price plus the gratuities.   If you want the photo pkg, the 4 wifi pkgs, the chance at free prizes and the specialty dining then you'd want to think about upgrading.

9 minutes ago, PescadoAmarillo said:

No one knows yet if you do need Princess Premium, because the program hasn’t started yet, but there is speculation that many drinks may be re-priced above the $12 price limit of Princess Plus. 

Spot on!

Cheers

20 minutes ago, PescadoAmarillo said:

No one knows yet if you do need Princess Premium, because the program hasn’t started yet, but there is speculation that many drinks may be re-priced above the $12 price limit of Princess Plus. 

According to @Thrak, this is what is happening:

"...Just got off of Royal Princess. The very first drink my wife ordered was a glass of wine. Turns out she ordered a $13 drink so we got charged $1.18 -- the extra dollar and the 18% gratuity..."

The answer is, no. You don't need Princess Premium. You just have to do the math and figure out what it's worth to you.

Edited by mtnesterz
Spelling

3 minutes ago, mtnesterz said:

According to @Thrak, this is what is happening:

"...Just got off of Royal Princess. The very first drink my wife ordered was a glass of wine. Turns out she ordered a $13 drink so we got charged $1.18 -- the extra dollar and the 18% gratuity..."

That has been the policy since at least the restart. I experienced the same on the Emerald in February with a $13 glass of wine. I’m not sure that has anything to do with the new drink plan. 

6 minutes ago, Brian1713 said:

If they raise the prices they should grandfather in everyone that bought the Plus package . 
We  bought a package which gives all drinks under $12 and we will still get this. No where does it say on purchase which drinks are $12 and under. Princess will rename some cocktails, make a few changes and introduce some new wines and limit supply of those under $12. I have already read reports that many of the wines under $12 are out of stock on the ships.  I don’t think this will be done overnight, more gradual over the coming months.

11 minutes ago, Brian1713 said:

If they raise the prices they should grandfather in everyone that bought the Plus package . 

That will not happen. When they went from unlimited drink package to a 15 drink limit there was no grandfathering done at all

52 minutes ago, memoak said:

That will not happen. When they went from unlimited drink package to a 15 drink limit there was no grandfathering done at all

not exactly ... we had "paid" for the drink package prior to the change - not just in cart - it was unlimited, not that we had to invoke that ... at least some days 🤑

11 minutes ago, voljeep said:

not exactly ... we had "paid" for the drink package prior to the change - not just in cart - it was unlimited, not that we had to invoke that ... at least some days 🤑

When we had 6 cruises booked over a 2 year period it was not grandfathered. Of course I never went over the limit except when a Junior waiter put all my wife’s drinks on my account

Living in UK reality land, how many single drinks (off the wine package) cost more than $12 (£9.50). Do cocktails fall under $12. I get the wine thing of course.

I've heard beer for example is served in small bottles rather than pints (draft).

It sounds like a headache, I thought the plus package was to designed to take a headache away from this, yet we seemingly have them moving the goal posts.  

2 hours ago, Brian1713 said:

On the one hand, there is merit to this as Princess published its drink menus and when we opted in to Plus we did so with the expectation that the drinks, liquors and wines we could obtain within the permitted price range were attractive to us. If those same drinks, liquors and wines now cost extra, we were duped. 

On the other hand, if what used to cost $12 now cost $13 and I drink 6 such drinks in a day, my daily increase is $7.08 ($1.18 x 6). Am I going to go to war over $7?  Nope. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, memoak said:

I agree with that, but when they sell the plus as most of the drinks are under 12 dollars it’s changing the advertising . I feel that’s illegal 

2 minutes ago, JimmyVWine said:

On the one hand, there is merit to this as Princess published its drink menus and when we opted in to Plus we did so with the expectation that the drinks, liquors and wines we could obtain within the permitted price range were attractive to us. If those same drinks, liquors and wines now cost extra, we were duped. 

On the other hand, if what used to cost $12 now cost $13 and I drink 6 such drinks in a day, my daily increase is $7.08 ($1.18 x 6). Am I going to go to war over $7?  Nope. 

Let’s hope it’s only a dollar

56 minutes ago, Brian1713 said:

Let’s hope it’s only a dollar

Even if it's $2 more.   6 drinks x 2.36 = $14.36.......it still doesn't justify the new pricing (unless you want a chance at prizes, photos and the specialty dining).    I could see myself ordering maybe 1-2 more expensive drinks but very, very rarely do I order 6 cocktails during one day.   Not that I haven't done it, but it's super rare.

2 hours ago, cruzin4us said:

Even if it's $2 more.   6 drinks x 2.36 = $14.36.......it still doesn't justify the new pricing (unless you want a chance at prizes, photos and the specialty dining).    I could see myself ordering maybe 1-2 more expensive drinks but very, very rarely do I order 6 cocktails during one day.   Not that I haven't done it, but it's super rare.

Same. I used 6 as an upper level example. It is rare that I would order that many. But even if I did, I’d certainly order at least half of those from within the $12 limit. It would be rare for a glass of Rose to be worth more than that. 

11 hours ago, prmssk said:

That has been the policy since at least the restart. I experienced the same on the Emerald in February with a $13 glass of wine. I’m not sure that has anything to do with the new drink plan. 

That also happened to us (knew ahead) on the Emerald in February, but we just got charged  $1.00, not $1.18 as others have.