Major Covid out break on Norwegian Spirit

sbaker

On 6/2/2022 at 3:58 PM, JGmf said:

Is this even news-worthy?  Sure, on these boards where we like to read about this stuff, but my reaction is: "Meh, whatever...we're all going to get it if we haven't yet, so if you can risk quarantining on a ship, then keep cruising."

Depends on your approach (or none) to this elephant in the room.

Lots of long time cruisers who love to cruise, have been extremely responsible are finding such datapoints useful in weighing risk/rewards for making plans.

Certainly lot more useful then zillion posts about towels on chair or tonic used in drink or free drink for elite status. You are welcome to ignore the thread.

OP, thanks for posting it.

• Like 3

On 6/3/2022 at 6:39 PM, ChiefMateJRK said:

That doesn't sound like a very fun vacation.

How does daily test ruin cruise vacation?

Actually, it is mental peace to enjoy your vacation. (i.e more fun)

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Markanddonna said:

I don't know if even masking up works. The flaw with this thinking is the dining. On a cruise, you sit with totally unmasked people for about 5 hours a day. All of our efforts seem rather futile since this strain is so very contagious. Hope you are better soon.

Masking up (correctly) of course have been quite successful against this and other contagiois respiratory diseases for decades all around the world.

What does not work is indoor dinning, bars, hot tubs, theaters, etc.

Friends are lover of ocean brezze/sound and use ship as floating hotel and custom ordered room service dinning - have been cruising since restart last year (almost as much time on sailings as on land)  No covid so far. 

Cruise ships dont give you covid, people do

(couldnt resist with the last sentence :))  ) 

• Like 8

On 6/2/2022 at 6:11 PM, podgeandrodge said:

Covid is everywhere now, and thankfully "mild" for most that have no underlying conditions, once vaccinated/boosted.  I think you just have to assume that any cruise you go on now has covid on board - but is that any different than going to any bar or restaurant on land?  People gonna get covid and hopefully mild, and hopefully not get it again for a decent amount of time!  But it would be silly to go on a cruise intending to avoid getting covid, I think.  You have to be prepared that it might well happen.

why is it silly?

Even "mild" cases are no fun.

If you avoid things on cruise ships which are easily available on the land (theater, bars, fine dinning, bus trips, hot tubs, elevators), probability is greatly reduced and you can still enjoy parts of cruising not available on land.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Yodalicious said:

I don’t understand why the ship would move a person to a lesser cabin.  I can’t  imagine being in an inside cabin, and not allowed out!!!  

Because you are moved into the isolation section which is a part of the ship which is not accessible for the public. The fire doors to those cabin aisles are closed. Crew is only allowed to go in with full protection. In case there are more cases than those reserved cabins they need to close down another section of the ship and move the passengers there.

All food has to come in disposable cartons. No silverware but plastic. No room cleaning. No contact to the crew.

steamboats

• Like 2

6 hours ago, steamboats said:

Because you are moved into the isolation section which is a part of the ship which is not accessible for the public. The fire doors to those cabin aisles are closed. Crew is only allowed to go in with full protection. In case there are more cases than those reserved cabins they need to close down another section of the ship and move the passengers there.

All food has to come in disposable cartons. No silverware but plastic. No room cleaning. No contact to the crew.

steamboats

Seems extreme for fully vaccinated people with zero to little symptoms..YMMV. 

• Like 5

8 hours ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

No.  It's not.  You're wrong.

How can you tell someone they are wrong for the tests making their own personal piece of mind better?

That's like you telling me I'm wrong for enjoying a thunderstorm - seriously, some people get piece of mind from the strangest things - it's better than thinking masking and wearing gloves will keep you from getting COVID.

• Like 1

On 6/4/2022 at 6:40 AM, ace2542 said:

Hang on a minute aren't NCL illegally detaining people by keeping them onboard past their booked date? And this outbreak has only been detected because the testing was required. And won't those people kept on onboard now face a further 10 day land quarantine in Hawaii? 

When you cruise, you agree to the terms and conditions, including being quarantined due to state/local/national requirements, so no it's not illegal detainment. 

I would love a 10 day forced quarantine in Hawaii! Give it to me baby! 

1 hour ago, PTC DAWG said:

Seems extreme for fully vaccinated people with zero to little symptoms..YMMV. 

They still can spread it... even when fully vaccinated, boosted and zero or little symptoms. That´s what they want to prevent. And actually that´s what the cruise lines did work out with the CDC so the CDC allowed the restart.

steamboats

To all those who did get covid during or after a cruise, here's a silver lining.  If you did home tests, consider getting a pcr test now.  If it is positive you now have the first step in getting a recovery certificate.  If you have travel plans in the next 3 months,  that certificate gets you on a flight into the US or onboard a NCL ship without testing. No more having to figure out how to get tested in a foreign country, especially since NCL isn't going to be providing on-board testing anymore.

Sad to be hoping for a positive test this time!

• Like 1

On 6/2/2022 at 11:11 PM, podgeandrodge said:

Covid is everywhere now, and thankfully "mild" for most that have no underlying conditions, once vaccinated/boosted.  I think you just have to assume that any cruise you go on now has covid on board - but is that any different than going to any bar or restaurant on land?  People gonna get covid and hopefully mild, and hopefully not get it again for a decent amount of time!  But it would be silly to go on a cruise intending to avoid getting covid, I think.  You have to be prepared that it might well happen.

15 hours ago, hal2008 said:

why is it silly?

Even "mild" cases are no fun.

If you avoid things on cruise ships which are easily available on the land (theater, bars, fine dinning, bus trips, hot tubs, elevators), probability is greatly reduced and you can still enjoy parts of cruising not available on land.

I mean "silly" if people think it will be easy to avoid - if you get on a ship, you are likely as well off assuming you'll get it.  I don't mean go off kissing strangers, but enjoy your cruise, because many get it despite taking strong precautions, and they'd have been better off just enjoying themselves. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, cruiseny4life said:

How can you tell someone they are wrong for the tests making their own personal piece of mind better?

Apparently I can and did.  The "IMHO" was certainly implied so I left it out.  It's nuts to require every passenger to get tested every day.  If people are that scared of Covid, they really should just stay home.

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, julig22 said:

To all those who did get covid during or after a cruise, here's a silver lining.  If you did home tests, consider getting a pcr test now.  If it is positive you now have the first step in getting a recovery certificate.  If you have travel plans in the next 3 months,  that certificate gets you on a flight into the US or onboard a NCL ship without testing. No more having to figure out how to get tested in a foreign country, especially since NCL isn't going to be providing on-board testing anymore.

Sad to be hoping for a positive test this time!

I was of the understanding NCl doesn’t accept recovery certificate it’s a negative test only

16 hours ago, hal2008 said:

Masking up (correctly) of course have been quite successful against this and other contagiois respiratory diseases for decades all around the world.

What does not work is indoor dinning, bars, hot tubs, theaters, etc.

Friends are lover of ocean brezze/sound and use ship as floating hotel and custom ordered room service dinning - have been cruising since restart last year (almost as much time on sailings as on land)  No covid so far. 

Cruise ships dont give you covid, people do

(couldnt resist with the last sentence :))  ) 

You really should have resisted. It is an inane premise - here and in its original context.

Aren't these statements akin to removing the whole point of a cruise, for most people though? 

On 6/4/2022 at 10:41 PM, momfrommn said:

My 22 yo daughter and I were on this cruise.  We tested negative on the 31st (we spent one night in Papeete).  I thought I “caught a bad cold” on the 2nd but tested positive today (the 4th).  We were on deck 10.  The occupants of the cabins on both sides of us we were in isolation (we saw their meals being delivered by staff in full PPE).   I am vaccinated and double boosted.  I work in healthcare and have been very cautious up until the cruise - I thought receiving a 2nd boost 16 days before the cruise would protect me - I should have known better - this a very sneaky disease.  I wish I would have masked up more.  Be safe everyone.

My brother-in-law and wife DID get 2nd booster two weeks before their May Celebrity cruise and still tested positive for Covid as soon as they came home.  They had friends test positive on the ship on the last day and had to stay in Barcelona for 10 days.  So do not beat yourself up.  My sister-in-law is extremely healthy and Covid hit her hard. 

I'd love to cruise this fall but I'm waiting it out another year.  I do not want to be in isolation on the ship or quarantine in a foreign country without knowing when I will be getting home.  I can wait.

The CDC tracking the US Fleet has the number as 90/93 ships in Covid Status ORANGE.  That's up over the weekend from 86/92.  The highest it has ever been.

https://www.cdc.gov/quarantine/cruise/cruise-ship-color-status.html

BA.2.12.1, has peaked as a percentage of cases and is being supplanted in NYC by BA4/BA5.  While total cases (heavily underreported) is still climbing.  The rest of the country will be 4-8 weeks behind NYC.  Hospitalizations remain relatively low.  For all intents and purposes there is no more Alpha, Delta or Omicron BA.1 out there.

It should be a fun summer out there on the waters.

• 1 month later...