Major Covid out break on Norwegian Spirit

sbaker

Just returned home from a 12 day cruise on the Norwegian Spirit that ended yesterday.  Started in Hawaii, with stops at Maui, Kauai, and the Big Island.  Then headed 2,000 miles south (4 days at sea) to French Polynesia where we had stops at Raiatea, Bora Bora, Moorea, and Tahiti.  The cruise was fantastic!  Great ship, awesome ports, and excellent service.  Not a mention of Covid for almost the entire cruise.  On Monday, we all had to take Covid tests on board in order to fly out of Tahiti on Tuesday.  Once results started coming in, it wasn't good!!  Numerous positive test results, mostly from people that were asymptomatic.  Once a passenger tested positive, a blue sticker was placed on their door.  Early yesterday morning, prior to disembarkation, I made a trip around decks 9, 10, and 11 (the main passenger decks, but not the only decks with passenger cabins.) On those three decks, I counted over 80 cabins with blue dots.  Some of those may have had both passengers with Covid, others maybe only one of the passengers.  Based on what I observed, I think it's pretty safe to say there were at least 120 positive cases on board, and that's probably a conservative estimate.  Keep in mind that there were only 1100 passengers total, and who knows how many staff members have tested  positive.  

Those who tested positive were required to stay on board to quarntine as the ship began a new 12 day cruise back to Hawaii yesterday.  Those who are positive must quarantine at least 5 days, and until they test negative.  Because the new internary has 4 sea days scheduled after the first 4 days, it will be at least day 9 of the new cruise itinerary until those passengers can get off the ship (once they reach the first Hawaiin port).  

We know many of those that have been affected and have had to stay on board.  Becasue they are qurantined, it will be a long voyage for them all!  Are thoughts and prayers are witht them.  Wondering if those new passengers who boarded yesterday have been informed of what's going on and the condition of the ship they're walking into!!

• Like 2

7 hours ago, sbaker said:

Just returned home from a 12 day cruise on the Norwegian Spirit that ended yesterday.  Started in Hawaii, with stops at Maui, Kauai, and the Big Island.  Then headed 2,000 miles south (4 days at sea) to French Polynesia where we had stops at Raiatea, Bora Bora, Moorea, and Tahiti.  The cruise was fantastic!  Great ship, awesome ports, and excellent service.  Not a mention of Covid for almost the entire cruise.  On Monday, we all had to take Covid tests on board in order to fly out of Tahiti on Tuesday.  Once results started coming in, it wasn't good!!  Numerous positive test results, mostly from people that were asymptomatic.  Once a passenger tested positive, a blue sticker was placed on their door.  Early yesterday morning, prior to disembarkation, I made a trip around decks 9, 10, and 11 (the main passenger decks, but not the only decks with passenger cabins.) On those three decks, I counted over 80 cabins with blue dots.  Some of those may have had both passengers with Covid, others maybe only one of the passengers.  Based on what I observed, I think it's pretty safe to say there were at least 120 positive cases on board, and that's probably a conservative estimate.  Keep in mind that there were only 1100 passengers total, and who knows how many staff members have tested  positive.  

Those who tested positive were required to stay on board to quarntine as the ship began a new 12 day cruise back to Hawaii yesterday.  Those who are positive must quarantine at least 5 days, and until they test negative.  Because the new internary has 4 sea days scheduled after the first 4 days, it will be at least day 9 of the new cruise itinerary until those passengers can get off the ship (once they reach the first Hawaiin port).  

We know many of those that have been affected and have had to stay on board.  Becasue they are qurantined, it will be a long voyage for them all!  Are thoughts and prayers are witht them.  Wondering if those new passengers who boarded yesterday have been informed of what's going on and the condition of the ship they're walking into!!

So the peope who tested positive were able to stay in their booked cabins? 

1 hour ago, dolls123 said:

So the peope who tested positive were able to stay in their booked cabins? 

No, they were transferred to different cabins.  They were moved to a lower deck where they were put in interior cabins or cabins with a window rather than a balcony.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, sbaker said:

Apparently not, this is a copy from another post on here regarding covid on Spirit:

There were other rooms in that corridor (on 5) that were clearly not quaratine rooms, the incoming guests had their luggage outside.  So the problem was solved for us, but not for the others, but suggesting that the other non-quaratine guests should be moved as well fell on deaf ears.

Apparently, the people who tested positive were given the option of leaving at Papetee (then waiting till negative to fly home) or stay on board, at Norwegian's expense.  I was told there are not many who took the latter option, although I counted 14 rooms with small tables outside in one small section of the corridor around our room.

We were shocked, and still are, that Norwegian would set up a corridor full of quarantine rooms, without first moving the existing guests in that corridor.  That is so careless.

• Like 1

The CDC is monitoring this ship because it calls on American ports. I would think that percentage would qualify for a bump from Orange to Red status except that there does not seem to be evidence of the medical center being overwhelmed or the presence of variant of concern on board. Otherwise, it checks all the boxes with numbers and sustained transmission.

• Like 1

So, I get to stay on board for free, with free meals, delivered to my door?  Thinking I might be willing to do that.

Not sure about all the details here.  But, this sounds a bit wonky.  Would love to get the whole story.

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, Babr said:

The CDC is monitoring this ship because it calls on American ports. I would think that percentage would qualify for a bump from Orange to Red status except that there does not seem to be evidence of the medical center being overwhelmed or the presence of variant of concern on board. Otherwise, it checks all the boxes with numbers and sustained transmission.

Unlikely to go to RED.  There is no standard definition of "Sustained Transmission".  It's a made up term.  No ship will report red while the impact from positive remains low for vaccinated/boosted population.  The Spirit is reporting ORANGE.

I do not think the Spirit is any different than all the other ships in the fleet.  87 of 92 ships in the fleet are reporting ORANGE.  That's the highest percentage I have seen since I found the CDC graph.

For some more added excitement over the next few weeks, the midwest has been reporting increases in the BA4 and BA5 variants.  BA4/BA5 is even MORE transmissible than BA.2.1.21 running through the fleet right now.  We will have to see if BA4/BA5 will be come the dominate variate just like BA.2.XXX overran BA1 in March/April.

If you have international air travels requiring a Covid negative test, I'd be looking HARD at your travel insurance plan and plan for a possible extended stay.  Until the policies are changed to reflect the new impact from Omicron, we'll have to live with them.

Happy Cruising!

• Like 1

You are right. It is nothing new to have high numbers. Not likely to see Red until new variants show up or impact is much worse, but I would expect to see increased protocols like mask wearing.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, CrazyTrain2 said:

Unlikely to go to RED.  There is no standard definition of "Sustained Transmission".  It's a made up term.  No ship will report red while the impact from positive remains low for vaccinated/boosted population.  The Spirit is reporting ORANGE.

I do not think the Spirit is any different than all the other ships in the fleet.  87 of 92 ships in the fleet are reporting ORANGE.  That's the highest percentage I have seen since I found the CDC graph.

For some more added excitement over the next few weeks, the midwest has been reporting increases in the BA4 and BA5 variants.  BA4/BA5 is even MORE transmissible than BA.2.1.21 running through the fleet right now.  We will have to see if BA4/BA5 will be come the dominate variate just like BA.2.XXX overran BA1 in March/April.

If you have international air travels requiring a Covid negative test, I'd be looking HARD at your travel insurance plan and plan for a possible extended stay.  Until the policies are changed to reflect the new impact from Omicron, we'll have to live with them.

Happy Cruising!

Ships do not report a status color; the CDC assigns them based on reported cases and their (CDC's) evaluation of the situation on the ship.  See https://www.cdc.gov/quarantine/cruise/cruise-ship-color-status.html?CDC_AA_refVal=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.cdc.gov%2Fcoronavirus%2F2019-ncov%2Ftravelers%2Fcrew-disembarkations-commercial-travel.html

I expect that mandatory masking would be the first sign that Red status was being considered.

YIKES, international flights are the worst case scenario for this and I'd be looking to cancel, personally, if I had one in the next month unless I was VERY flexible!

I know I'm basically being redundant with what many have already said across these outbreak threads (thank you, OP, for posting because knowledge is power and this is a unique cruise with flying out of Tahiti), but I think this April-current spike is pretty much guaranteeing a large portion of passengers and crew are going to have COVID on every sailing. I know many of us who are vaxxed and boosted are getting mild cases.  Allergy-like sneezing a few times a day, literally about one cough per day, and dry mouth were my ONLY symptoms, so if you think it's allergies, it very well might not be.

So, if any of you have a cruise booked in June, I'd frankly plan on probably getting it and take every precaution (N95s) to not get it pre-cruise. How you decide to handle that if you come down with it during your cruise is up to you and your conscience. Plan accordingly. But don't be flippant because you are vaxxed and boosted, or had it in 2020 or 2021, and then be surprised when you get it.

And if you can't risk it and the quarantine afterwards, then I'd cancel and reschedule.

Edited by weltek

1 hour ago, graphicguy said:

So, I get to stay on board for free, with free meals, delivered to my door?  Thinking I might be willing to do that. Not sure about all the details here.  But, this sounds a bit wonky.  Would love to get the whole story.

Hmmm. GG, are you sure about that ... WFS instead of WFM 😁   Me think, only if they aren't going terminate "unlimited" WiFi already upcharged and "paid" for and what about that DSC of $16 p/p for the typical stateroom, since those isolated aren't likely staying in Haven or suite, etc. - quite possibly, from what I'm reading, relocated to lower deck on the ship with blocks of cabins set aside.  

Sadly, with the latest BA.1 and BA.2 subvariants circulating (which, apparently subsiding in N.E. United States ... home testing not being tracked or reported, however) - it's nearly a given that it is evading detection, despite its highly contagious nature and with some remaining asymptomatic, not necessary confirmed with a positive test result - this invisible virus is getting onboard, undetected; circulating somehow onboard the ship, and traveling and hitching more rides as folks disembark and carry on with their travel journey.  

A little more about BA.4 and BA.5 - which CDC has recently designated and closely monitoring, even more contagious & easily transmitted ... early clinical & lab data suggesting that acute hospital stays aren't worsening (and, that's the good part) but isolation alone or testing alone aren't going to stop it from "migrating" to the next ship.  Keep in mind that crew members and rotating production casts appeared to be just as vulnerable - and, I have (some) faith that the cruiseline as trying as hard as they can be, to detect/isolate/immunize/quarantine their crew to contain the viruses.  

Hence, I would mask up & bring extras, get extra boosted as practical & feasible, and avoid huge gatherings where social distancing isn't practical or required - and, that takes the fun, joy & relaxation out of cruising. 

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/new-omicron-subvariants-are-spreading-should-we-worry#Where-are-the-variants?

Each of us are going to need to update our personal risk-analysis when it comes to cruising, raise our insurance protection and have serious contingency planning in place.  

• Like 2

3 hours ago, njkate said:

We were shocked, and still are, that Norwegian would set up a corridor full of quarantine rooms, without first moving the existing guests in that corridor.  That is so careless.

Other than the optics of other passengers seeing the quarantine cabins, what is careless about it?

There's no danger to the other passengers from having quarantine rooms on the same corridor as other occupied cabins. As our resident retired chief engineer @chengkp75has taught us each cabin has it's own air supply so there's no possibility of air containing virus particles from a quarantine cabin making its way into another passenger cabin .

From what I've read some cruise lines under certain circumstances do permit quarantined passengers remain in their original assigned cabin.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, njkate said:

Apparently not, this is a copy from another post on here regarding covid on Spirit:

There were other rooms in that corridor (on 5) that were clearly not quaratine rooms, the incoming guests had their luggage outside. ...

The source of this quote is my semi-live review at:

We're on board for both cruises (intentionally, unlike some!).

Life on board continues as normal for those unaffected, no crew shortages or changes.  I (and others) on board will continue to update at that semi-live review.

For what it’s worth just got off RCL adventure came home wife had Covid-19 and now I do! Supposed to have been 150 passengers quarantined onboard according to someone in the know.

9 nights cruise and tons of masks wearing at cruise end.
Word spread around quick!

Nobody talking about this.

We’re both fully vaccinated and double boosted!

Wife’s a cancer survivor so she got pax medicine immediately. I’ve got to get it somehow too! Never thought we’d get Covid-19! Very careful….

• Like 1

5 hours ago, njkate said:

There were other rooms in that corridor (on 5) that were clearly not quaratine rooms, the incoming guests had their luggage outside.  So the problem was solved for us, but not for the others, but suggesting that the other non-quaratine guests should be moved as well fell on deaf ears.

Apparently, the people who tested positive were given the option of leaving at Papetee (then waiting till negative to fly home) or stay on board, at Norwegian's expense.  I was told there are not many who took the latter option, although I counted 14 rooms with small tables outside in one small section of the corridor around our room.

What you have said here is not correct.  We knew multiple people from various different parties that tested positive.   None were given the option to leave the ship in Papetee and wait to fly home until negative.  The only option (not really an option since it was required) was to stay and quantine on the ship.  

13 minutes ago, sbaker said:

What you have said here is not correct.  We knew multiple people from various different parties that tested positive.   None were given the option to leave the ship in Papetee and wait to fly home until negative.  

I'm reporting what i was told by  senior management on board. They were explaining that there were "not many" quarantine cabins on board (around us) because many had opted to stay in Papetee. 

We need to hear from somebody who took the option (if any) to stay in Papetee to confirm what management told me. Hearing directly from somebody in quarantine would be good also!

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, Drumstix40 said:

If this story is to be believed, why isn't any other outlet or cruisenewslaw picking up the story?

Is this even news-worthy?  Sure, on these boards where we like to read about this stuff, but my reaction is: "Meh, whatever...we're all going to get it if we haven't yet, so if you can risk quarantining on a ship, then keep cruising."

• Like 5

50 minutes ago, Rob_H said:

I'm reporting what i was told by  senior management on board. They were explaining that there were "not many" quarantine cabins on board (around us) because many had opted to stay in Papetee. 

We need to hear from somebody who took the option (if any) to stay in Papetee to confirm what management told me. Hearing directly from somebody in quarantine would be good also!

My friend said the only option given to them was she could stay, not sure if she would of had to stay in quarantine cabin as she was negative but after discussing her husband told her to go home as they had already been gone two weeks, have a pet, she had a scheduled doctors appt etc etc so she flew home and hubbie is in quarantine. Not sure depending on how many tested positive if Papatee had the means to quarantine or if they would even agree to it

3 hours ago, mking8288 said:

Hmmm. GG, are you sure about that ... WFS instead of WFM 😁   Me think, only if they aren't going terminate "unlimited" WiFi already upcharged and "paid" for and what about that DSC of $16 p/p for the typical stateroom, since those isolated aren't likely staying in Haven or suite, etc. - quite possibly, from what I'm reading, relocated to lower deck on the ship with blocks of cabins set aside.  

Sadly, with the latest BA.1 and BA.2 subvariants circulating (which, apparently subsiding in N.E. United States ... home testing not being tracked or reported, however) - it's nearly a given that it is evading detection, despite its highly contagious nature and with some remaining asymptomatic, not necessary confirmed with a positive test result - this invisible virus is getting onboard, undetected; circulating somehow onboard the ship, and traveling and hitching more rides as folks disembark and carry on with their travel journey.  

A little more about BA.4 and BA.5 - which CDC has recently designated and closely monitoring, even more contagious & easily transmitted ... early clinical & lab data suggesting that acute hospital stays aren't worsening (and, that's the good part) but isolation alone or testing alone aren't going to stop it from "migrating" to the next ship.  Keep in mind that crew members and rotating production casts appeared to be just as vulnerable - and, I have (some) faith that the cruiseline as trying as hard as they can be, to detect/isolate/immunize/quarantine their crew to contain the viruses.  

Hence, I would mask up & bring extras, get extra boosted as practical & feasible, and avoid huge gatherings where social distancing isn't practical or required - and, that takes the fun, joy & relaxation out of cruising. 

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/new-omicron-subvariants-are-spreading-should-we-worry#Where-are-the-variants?

Each of us are going to need to update our personal risk-analysis when it comes to cruising, raise our insurance protection and have serious contingency planning in place.  

Good points.

I agree that (re)assessing risk tolerances is key.  I've vaccinated and boosted (2x).  I'm pretty confident.

Mask up.  Boost up.  And, be prepared to be quarantined if tested positive.  

I'll bring books, music, a blue tooth speaker, maybe some on line language training to brush up on my Mandarin.

That said, I just got my latest gov't COVID test kits (8 of them).  I self test about 2X/month already (all negative).  If I pull the trigger on another cruise in July, I'll have tests to get me to 48 hours before embarkation.

Don't know I can do any more than that.

Reading the original report of this, 14 cabins designated for quarantine.  Assuming 2guests/cabin (although I read where some who stayed sent their spouse/SO home), that means 28 cases they were prepared for.  Out of 2,000 guests?  That actually doesn't sound all that alarming.

Edited by graphicguy
  • Like 2

Covid is everywhere now, and thankfully "mild" for most that have no underlying conditions, once vaccinated/boosted.  I think you just have to assume that any cruise you go on now has covid on board - but is that any different than going to any bar or restaurant on land?  People gonna get covid and hopefully mild, and hopefully not get it again for a decent amount of time!  But it would be silly to go on a cruise intending to avoid getting covid, I think.  You have to be prepared that it might well happen.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, njkate said:

Why is this careless?  I don’t understand???

Even hospitals don’t isolate COVID patients any more. COVID rooms are next to regular patients. Far less isolation there. 

4 hours ago, Drumstix40 said:

If this story is to be believed, why isn't any other outlet or cruisenewslaw picking up the story?

Because there is COVID on almost every ship almost every week. International cruises get more positive cases because most passengers needs to test to go home. They catch the asymptomatic passengers. And they catch the symptomatic passengers who chose not to self report and spread the virus throughout the ship. 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Rob_H said:

We know many who tested positive and they were not given the option to disembark and stay in Papeete.  They were informed that they would be staying on board.  Here is the letter one of the individuals from our little travel group received.584303092_nclletter.jpg.8f42dec1d7c2a0514881824dc68eb2f8.jpg

• Like 1