Major Covid out break on Norwegian Spirit

sbaker

Thanks for that! Always good to have real evidence!

To be fair to Norwegian, it does imply they at least tried to find hotels for passengers to give them the choice, but failed for at least some (probably most, not many hotels would welcome maybe dozens of isolation rooms).

Again thanks for posting. Obviously management have a sanitized versión of events when talking to guests, it would be nice if there was more transparency.

5 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

Because there is COVID on almost every ship almost every week. International cruises get more positive cases because most passengers needs to test to go home. They catch the asymptomatic passengers. And they catch the symptomatic passengers who chose not to self report and spread the virus throughout the ship. 

The cruise lines are getting away with it because they have abandoned passenger testing unless they have to.

Following a few ships/lines as we are cruising good to have a picture of what may be going on.

After the TA's into northern Europe the test the US pax to go home has caught 100s on most of the bigger ships.

One princess ship the estimate was around 30% of those tested for return to US a reasonable sample size  to extrapolate to the full pax count,  how many walked of that ship positive but not tested.  

Look what happened to the Dawn, Netherlands got the ship tested before Amsterdam, only allowing negative to leave the ship, the next two port were cancelled as numbers were too high disembark in Southampton where there are no isolation rules. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, insidecabin said:

The cruise lines are getting away with it because they have abandoned passenger testing unless they have to.

When did any major cruise line ever test passengers when they did not have to?  All testing that I am aware of has been done either directly or indirectly at the requirement of the CDC or other authorities.

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, Karaboudjan said:

When did any major cruise line ever test passengers when they did not have to?  All testing that I am aware of has been done either directly or indirectly at the requirement of the CDC or other authorities.

Viking Ocean tests its passengers every day.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Well my friend tested negative this morning and they are moving him from deck 4 to another deck/ cabin. He is hoping he can fly home from Hilo and not wait until Honolulu. 
He said there are many covid quarantine people, more than what has been reported, just about all of one deck forgot which one maybe 4 is quarantine cabins 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, njhorseman said:

Viking Ocean tests its passengers every day.

2 minutes ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

That doesn't sound like a very fun vacation.

We were on Viking Orion TWICE in summer 2021 when she did weekly cruises around Bermuda during the months June to Sept. We did the saliva spit into tubes every morning - it was no big deal to us - we happily went along with it - with stride. It was the PCR test ....

Brain swabbed Antigen tests are weaker than the saliva PCR tests ... the latter, when it turns out to be positive, tells you that you got the early onset of covid and stops you from spreading the virus to others if you isolate immediately.

The antigen tests turn positive a few days after the PCR ones. Then it's too late as you'd have had already spread the virus in air and to the others.

We (party of 4) were on the Joy in March. It was great cruise. We got off on the Saturday, went for antigen tests that morning in Miami, got the negative test results an hour later, flew home to Bermuda later that day. Three days later two of us were feeling under the weather and did antigen tests - positive! Two days later the other 2 tested positive. Had we all taken PCR tests while in Miami we'd be testing positive and not be able to fly home!

On 6/2/2022 at 5:57 AM, sbaker said:

No, they were transferred to different cabins.  They were moved to a lower deck where they were put in interior cabins or cabins with a window rather than a balcony.

not all

On 6/2/2022 at 5:22 AM, sbaker said:

Just returned home from a 12 day cruise on the Norwegian Spirit that ended yesterday.  Started in Hawaii, with stops at Maui, Kauai, and the Big Island.  Then headed 2,000 miles south (4 days at sea) to French Polynesia where we had stops at Raiatea, Bora Bora, Moorea, and Tahiti.  The cruise was fantastic!  Great ship, awesome ports, and excellent service.  Not a mention of Covid for almost the entire cruise.  On Monday, we all had to take Covid tests on board in order to fly out of Tahiti on Tuesday.  Once results started coming in, it wasn't good!!  Numerous positive test results, mostly from people that were asymptomatic.  Once a passenger tested positive, a blue sticker was placed on their door.  Early yesterday morning, prior to disembarkation, I made a trip around decks 9, 10, and 11 (the main passenger decks, but not the only decks with passenger cabins.) On those three decks, I counted over 80 cabins with blue dots.  Some of those may have had both passengers with Covid, others maybe only one of the passengers.  Based on what I observed, I think it's pretty safe to say there were at least 120 positive cases on board, and that's probably a conservative estimate.  Keep in mind that there were only 1100 passengers total, and who knows how many staff members have tested  positive.  

Those who tested positive were required to stay on board to quarntine as the ship began a new 12 day cruise back to Hawaii yesterday.  Those who are positive must quarantine at least 5 days, and until they test negative.  Because the new internary has 4 sea days scheduled after the first 4 days, it will be at least day 9 of the new cruise itinerary until those passengers can get off the ship (once they reach the first Hawaiin port).  

We know many of those that have been affected and have had to stay on board.  Becasue they are qurantined, it will be a long voyage for them all!  Are thoughts and prayers are witht them.  Wondering if those new passengers who boarded yesterday have been informed of what's going on and the condition of the ship they're walking into!!

Hang on a minute aren't NCL illegally detaining people by keeping them onboard past their booked date? And this outbreak has only been detected because the testing was required. And won't those people kept on onboard now face a further 10 day land quarantine in Hawaii? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ace2542 said:

Hang on a minute aren't NCL illegally detaining people by keeping them onboard past their booked date? And this outbreak has only been detected because the testing was required. And won't those people kept on onboard now face a further 10 day land quarantine in Hawaii? 

No as they will probably test negative before they reach Hawaii. My friend tested positive for the pre flight test home on May 29, he was moved to a cabin on deck 4, his wife flew home.  I don’t think Papatee was allowing positive passengers to disembark and quarantine there. He tested negative yesterday so they are moving him to another cabin he is free to roam around the ship and hoping he can fly home from Hilo and not wait until Honolulu, his air was through NCL so he waits to see what they arrange 

Edited by njkate
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, ace2542 said:

Hang on a minute aren't NCL illegally detaining people by keeping them onboard past their booked date?

Really?  As the cruise line brought the passengers to the country, and the country has not allowed the passengers to disembark there, due to that country's covid regulations, the cruise line is required to remove the passengers from that country, and return them to their point of origin.  It is a legal requirement.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, ace2542 said:

And won't those people kept on onboard now face a further 10 day land quarantine in Hawaii? 

Hawaii eliminated the mandatory 10 day quarantine rule on October 15, 2020. At this time, Hawaii has eliminated all safe-travels protocols. Nothing is required to enter the islands at this time (no vaccine, no testing).

Edited by BermudaBound2014

2 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

Really?  As the cruise line brought the passengers to the country, and the country has not allowed the passengers to disembark there, due to that country's covid regulations, the cruise line is required to remove the passengers from that country, and return them to their point of origin.  It is a legal requirement.

A little historical perspective: when our ancestors immigrated from Europe on the steamships, the steamship companies were required to pay for any sick/rejected passenger who didn't pass the medical inspection on Ellis Island. 

• Like 2

18 hours ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

That doesn't sound like a very fun vacation.

Did a Viking RC last November.  Each evening they put little tubes in the cabin.  The next morning we spit in our tubes, sealed them, put the tubes in provided envelopes with our names already on them, and dropped them off at the services desk on the way to breakfast.

It was a very minor annoyance and did nothing to spoil the vacation.  Now if they were sticking swabs up my nose into my brain every day...

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

He doesn't want more free days on a cruise ship?

No lol think he has had enough and he encouraged his wife to leave from Papatee

He received his arrangements he will be flying home from Hilo

4 minutes ago, njkate said:

No lol think he has had enough and he encouraged his wife to leave from Papatee

He received his arrangements he will be flying home from Hilo

Do you know if NCL arranged his flight home (since he had booked his air through NCL), or did he have to make his own arrangements?

31 minutes ago, sbaker said:

Do you know if NCL arranged his flight home (since he had booked his air through NCL), or did he have to make his own arrangements?

And what if he can't afford his own arrangements? Some people might not be able to.

2 hours ago, ace2542 said:

And what if he can't afford his own arrangements? Some people might not be able to.

Sleep on the beach in Hawaii until his go fund me page generates enough for a bus ticket home???

The passenger already has an international ticket home. A ticket originating in Hawaii won’t be orders of magnitude more. Most folks have travel insurance nowadays for this reason. 

• Haha 1

On 6/1/2022 at 11:22 PM, sbaker said:

Just returned home from a 12 day cruise on the Norwegian Spirit that ended yesterday.  Started in Hawaii, with stops at Maui, Kauai, and the Big Island.  Then headed 2,000 miles south (4 days at sea) to French Polynesia where we had stops at Raiatea, Bora Bora, Moorea, and Tahiti.  The cruise was fantastic!  Great ship, awesome ports, and excellent service.  Not a mention of Covid for almost the entire cruise.  On Monday, we all had to take Covid tests on board in order to fly out of Tahiti on Tuesday.  Once results started coming in, it wasn't good!!  Numerous positive test results, mostly from people that were asymptomatic.  Once a passenger tested positive, a blue sticker was placed on their door.  Early yesterday morning, prior to disembarkation, I made a trip around decks 9, 10, and 11 (the main passenger decks, but not the only decks with passenger cabins.) On those three decks, I counted over 80 cabins with blue dots.  Some of those may have had both passengers with Covid, others maybe only one of the passengers.  Based on what I observed, I think it's pretty safe to say there were at least 120 positive cases on board, and that's probably a conservative estimate.  Keep in mind that there were only 1100 passengers total, and who knows how many staff members have tested  positive.  

Those who tested positive were required to stay on board to quarntine as the ship began a new 12 day cruise back to Hawaii yesterday.  Those who are positive must quarantine at least 5 days, and until they test negative.  Because the new internary has 4 sea days scheduled after the first 4 days, it will be at least day 9 of the new cruise itinerary until those passengers can get off the ship (once they reach the first Hawaiin port).  

We know many of those that have been affected and have had to stay on board.  Becasue they are qurantined, it will be a long voyage for them all!  Are thoughts and prayers are witht them.  Wondering if those new passengers who boarded yesterday have been informed of what's going on and the condition of the ship they're walking into!!

My 22 yo daughter and I were on this cruise.  We tested negative on the 31st (we spent one night in Papeete).  I thought I “caught a bad cold” on the 2nd but tested positive today (the 4th).  We were on deck 10.  The occupants of the cabins on both sides of us we were in isolation (we saw their meals being delivered by staff in full PPE).   I am vaccinated and double boosted.  I work in healthcare and have been very cautious up until the cruise - I thought receiving a 2nd boost 16 days before the cruise would protect me - I should have known better - this a very sneaky disease.  I wish I would have masked up more.  Be safe everyone.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, sbaker said:

NCL arranged his flight

6 hours ago, momfrommn said:

My 22 yo daughter and I were on this cruise.  We tested negative on the 31st (we spent one night in Papeete).  I thought I “caught a bad cold” on the 2nd but tested positive today (the 4th).  We were on deck 10.  The occupants of the cabins on both sides of us we were in isolation (we saw their meals being delivered by staff in full PPE).   I am vaccinated and double boosted.  I work in healthcare and have been very cautious up until the cruise - I thought receiving a 2nd boost 16 days before the cruise would protect me - I should have known better - this a very sneaky disease.  I wish I would have masked up more.  Be safe everyone.

I don't know if even masking up works. The flaw with this thinking is the dining. On a cruise, you sit with totally unmasked people for about 5 hours a day. All of our efforts seem rather futile since this strain is so very contagious. Hope you are better soon.

• Like 1

On 6/2/2022 at 11:29 AM, graphicguy said:

So, I get to stay on board for free, with free meals, delivered to my door?  Thinking I might be willing to do that.

Not sure about all the details here.  But, this sounds a bit wonky.  Would love to get the whole story.

Agree.  Really wish people would stop posting the "I think" stats re COVID, please supply facts if you have them, otherwise leave it alone.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Yodalicious said:

I don’t understand why the ship would move a person to a lesser cabin.  I can’t  imagine being in an inside cabin, and not allowed out!!!  

Yeah.  My wife is claustrophobic and that just would not work.