Diamond Four Drinks Per Day

1 hour ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

I definitely agree but not sure a bartender is going to risk losing his job over giving away alcoholic drinks for ‘free”. There are easier ways to help passengers like very heavy pours, refilling a half empty drink, etc. 

Exactly.  Or just give an extra drink to the adult which results in the same outcome.  I’m sure this has way less risks associated with it than putting an alcoholic drink on a kids card (which ain’t gonna happen btw no matter how much you tip).  

6 minutes ago, Another_Critic said:

Someone ( @twangster ? ) posted that a "tip" is automatically given to the staff for the voucher drinks.  But a cash tip is always welcome.

Twangster is mistaken.  I've received the receipts several times over the 58 days of sailing recently on 3 ships.  They are all zeroes, including the tip.  I keep $1 bills on me when I know I'm going to use the vouchers. Easier than asking for a receipt and adding a tip of your choice.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, pcur said:

Twangster is mistaken.  I've received the receipts several times over the 58 days of sailing recently on 3 ships.  They are all zeroes, including the tip.  I keep $1 bills on me when I know I'm going to use the vouchers. Easier than asking for a receipt and adding a tip of your choice.

Correct, there is no tip on the receipt.  And it may not have been twangster who mentioned the tip.

4 minutes ago, topnole said:

Exactly.  Or just give an extra drink to the adult which results in the same outcome.  I’m sure this has way less risks associated with it than putting an alcoholic drink on a kids card (which ain’t gonna happen btw no matter how much you tip).  

I think you and PhillyFan are not familiar about how tightly controlled the liquor is on board the ships.  Company policy infractions are taken very seriously by RCCL management, and especially with alcohol.  They've had some REALLY, REALLY bad incidents with alcohol over the decades I've been sailing.  

Just go along with the program, please, because if there is a trend of cheating on the free drink vouchers, RCCL can easily take that perk away.

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, Another_Critic said:

Correct, there is no tip on the receipt.  And it may not have been twangster who mentioned the tip.

I actually thought the tip was included, too, until I asked once.  That's when I started tipping cash for the vouchered drinks.

29 minutes ago, Another_Critic said:

Someone ( @twangster ? ) posted that a "tip" is automatically given to the staff for the voucher drinks.  But a cash tip is always welcome.

Not me. 

Nothing is given to wait staff for CAS drinks.  They are expected to serve them as part of their job.  That's why I tip $1 or $2.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

I definitely agree but not sure a bartender is going to risk losing his job over giving away alcoholic drinks for ‘free”. There are easier ways to help passengers like very heavy pours, refilling a half empty drink, etc. 

Folks here report getting unvouchered drinks all the time. I'm certain I've had several. Not because I asked, per se, just lost track

53 minutes ago, sgmn said:

But what Royal Caribbean giveth, so Royal Caribbean can take away.

Why try to bend/break the rules ?

Like I said, I have no access to minor vouchers. I'm just participating in a friendly discussion

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, twangster said:

Not me. 

Nothing is given to wait staff for CAS drinks.  They are expected to serve them as part of their job.  That's why I tip $1 or $2.  

Pretty sure I saw a post that there was an undisclosed tip, but don't remember who posted it.  But yes, $1 or $2 tips are the norm.

I look at it this way.

Would your drink have cost $13?  18% of that is $2.34.  That's what your server would have gotten if you had paid for your drink.

But you DIDN'T pay for that drink.  Hurrah for you!

So give your server a couple of dollars.

This concludes our detailed PSA.

Feel free to return to your discussion of stealing smoothies from your grandchildren.

🙂 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 7

Just now, Merion_Mom said:

I look at it this way.

Would your drink have cost $13?  18% of that is $2.34.  That's what your server would have gotten if you had paid for you drink.

But you DIDN'T pay for that drink.  Hurrah for you!

So give your server a couple of dollars.

This concludes our detailed PSA.

🙂 

I'll pay $2 for a delivered martini. Most anything else $1

I will give a $5 to one drink per night if I'm enjoying interacting with the staff

• Like 1

5 hours ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

Unfortunately it’s not true. The computer system won’t even allow a bartender to charge an alcoholic drink to a passenger under the age of 21. 

1 hour ago, topnole said:

You don’t transfer your Diamond benefit to someone else.  You use it, and if you want to give away what you received, that is up to you.  But under 21

diamonds don’t get alcoholic beverages as part of their benefit.  So that can’t order a beer and give it to you.  Seems pretty clear that you can’t get alcoholic drinks off a kids Diamond benefits.  I wondered this in the past based on prior comments I’ve read, but just imagine the liability issues if this was the norm.  

Just to be clear, in the UK, Europe, South America, Asia and Australia it is 18+, not 21.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, ukrccl_a said:

Just to be clear, in the UK, Europe, South America, Asia and Australia it is 18+, not 21.

I’m aware.  Didn’t feel the need to clarify because the point in general is clear.   However, this does bring up an interesting point.  At what age do alcoholic Diamond drinks kick in?   Does this vary by region or is standard everywhere?   Does Royal clarify this (highly doubtful knowing Royal)?  

I seem to remember Diamond benefits used to be listed for those under a certain again (thought it was 21), and it seemed that was standard everywhere.   Back then they didn’t get certain things 21+ got.  Maybe my recollection is off because I only browsed kids benefits (and they weren’t that good) since my kids aren’t near the age for any benefits to matter much for a long while yet.  

18 minutes ago, ukrccl_a said:

Alcoholic Diamond drinks kick in at the minimum drinking age for the particular cruise, be it 18 or 21!

I’ll take my kids on a euro cruise when they hit 18.   Then I’ll hit London after so they can enjoy a variety of great Fuller’s Ales.  

Cheers 

3 hours ago, pcur said:

Seems like a good opportunity to remind everyone that they should tip for the coupon drink.  Same labor involved to bring you the freebie as the paid for drink.  They work for tips, remember.  Your decision about how much, but it seems the right thing to do for the bar staff.......................

Not needed. 

2 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

Folks here report getting unvouchered drinks all the time. I'm certain I've had several. Not because I asked, per se, just lost track

I'm sure the bartenders are allowed to ring up "promotional" drinks (for lack of a better word).  I just don't think what's being proposed on this thread is a good thing to do deliberately.

• Thanks 1

Clarification question on the vouchers, I assume these can't be used at the Bionic Bar? I read somewhere you have to ask for the voucher to be used for your free drink. My past experiences tell me the robot is not at all talkative and wouldn't listen to me 🙂

24 minutes ago, CruiseWendy said:

Clarification question on the vouchers, I assume these can't be used at the Bionic Bar? I read somewhere you have to ask for the voucher to be used for your free drink. My past experiences tell me the robot is not at all talkative and wouldn't listen to me 🙂

Robot is not included.  

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

I’ve definitely had drinks given to me by bartenders in the past.  Never asked for, just given and not all that comment.  But definitely had happened.  I’ve always believed they’ve had some discretion and use it when they think it is appropriate.  This was before vouchers or even drink packages.  

53 minutes ago, topnole said:

I’ve definitely had drinks given to me by bartenders in the past.  Never asked for, just given and not all that comment.  But definitely had happened.  I’ve always believed they’ve had some discretion and use it when they think it is appropriate.  This was before vouchers or even drink packages.  

New vouchers or old vouchers🤔

3 happy hour Vouchers been around forever

56 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

New vouchers or old vouchers🤔

3 happy hour Vouchers been around forever

Both types.  Yes.  I remember the days where only 4:30-8 in the lounge existed.  

But I’m sure I’ve had free drinks given to me since the older 3 voucher system is as in place too. Only cruised once

since the new voucher system and that was Star class.  So I’m had lots of free drinks.  😂😂😂.   Actually they cost a ton!