Cans of water

Graciesmom2

I read that Celebrity ships now have all drinking water in cans. Are these screw top or tab top? I have some arthritis in my hands, so I’ll need to bring something to deal with a tab, if needed.  Cruise coming up three weeks from today ! Can’t wait! Thanks in advance! 

I also struggled to open them unless I used a serviette, I think  condensation makes it more difficult. 

OP,  it could be worthwhile taking a reusable water bottle on board that you are comfortable opening/closing and just topping it up, especially for excursions. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, sasset said:

Is that all that are available? No more Evian bottles?

No plastic bottles.  With the classic package, the Celebrity branded water, in the aluminum cans is the only bottled water included.  With the Premium package other (glass) bottled waters are available.

Harris

Denver, CO

• Like 1

We were off the Summit the end of May.  Bar staff also disliked the hard to open caps and mentioned they were often cutting their hands.  They mentioned that plastic was coming back and on our last day we were able to get water in plastic.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for all the information! Sounds like we will be hoping that plastic is back. I’m all for helping the environment, but it sounds like the cans weren’t very well thought out as far as actual usage goes. 

Basic package water is in the aluminum, screw-top cans. They can be very difficult to open, so just ask the server to open it for you.  Also, thumping the can upside down on a hard surface helps make them easier to open.  

Premium package water includes the Evian glass bottles.

Interesting to hear that the plastic bottles are coming back!  Anyway, I wanted to say that we do NOT think that the water in the aluminum cans taste "tinny", as occasionally is reported - definitely not.  It tasted fresh and crisp.  The provenance of the water is well labeled, spring water - one of our cruises it was sourced from Idaho, and also, I believe from Colorado.  Another thing about the aluminum bottles is that be careful how you seal it up again - if you don't thread the screw top back exactly right, it is prone to leakage.  I soaked my bag before I realized what was happening.  

12 hours ago, Luvcrusn said:

I also found the screw top cans hard to open and often had sharp edges. While I appreciate the nod to the environment, I really dislike the tinny taste of the water.

The water never touches the metal, like a milk carton the cans are have a lining

2 hours ago, amet beach said:

We were off the Summit the end of May.  Bar staff also disliked the hard to open caps and mentioned they were often cutting their hands.  They mentioned that plastic was coming back and on our last day we were able to get water in plastic.

Do you recall which brand of water it was?  Just got of the 'Nox on Saturday, received a metal bottle of water that morning from the OV Bar for breakfast

RCL partnered with a biodegradable plastic company and has already deployed their plastic straws where they biodegrade in 27 weeks, perhaps X did the same.  However this company, at the moment, only makes straws, not water bottles which ironically may start to dissolve the bottle.

0ED9B772-8D18-4FDD-870B-9DF3B40BB6C8.thumb.jpeg.7b5146946076148c2d474ecf1e9c1b79.jpeg 

1 minute ago, Covepointcruiser said:

Surprised that plastic bottles are coming back.   Have we solved the environmental problems caused by plastic bottles?

It's possible they are biodegradable but who knows.  Plastic bottles is only one of many environmental problems.  Like it or not, if one truly cares about a green cruise they should only cruise on ships that are fueled by LNG, do so is far greener than eliminating plastic water bottles.  Another big step in the right direction is shore power but that'll require both ships and ports to deploy it and ensure the majority of the power is produced by clean energy.

11 minutes ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

It's possible they are biodegradable but who knows.  Plastic bottles is only one of many environmental problems.  Like it or not, if one truly cares about a green cruise they should only cruise on ships that are fueled by LNG, do so is far greener than eliminating plastic water bottles.  Another big step in the right direction is shore power but that'll require both ships and ports to deploy it and ensure the majority of the power is produced by clean energy.

I don't think environmentalism has to be all or nothing. Every little bit helps. Just because I haven't bought an electric car doesn't mean I can't recycle or compost or do other things that incrementally help the environment. Just because I sail on diesel-powered cruise ship doesn't mean I have to just throw all my trash into the ocean. Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good.

• Like 5

54 minutes ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

The water never touches the metal, like a milk carton the cans are have a lining

Nevertheless I taste it. Maybe a discerning palette and maybe a mental thing but I really dislike it. 

1 minute ago, JamieLogical said:

I don't think environmentalism has to be all or nothing. Every little bit helps. Just because I haven't bought an electric car doesn't mean I can't recycle or compost or do other things that incrementally help the environment. Just because I sail on diesel-powered cruise ship doesn't mean I have to just throw all my trash into the ocean. Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good.

Very true; the person I quoted mentioned "environment issues" with plastic, I was simply pointing out there are other environmental issues besides plastic.

4 hours ago, lexmiller said:

Anyway, I wanted to say that we do NOT think that the water in the aluminum cans taste "tinny", as occasionally is reported - definitely not.  It tasted fresh and crisp. 

Agree with this - I also never found the water in the aluminum can to taste "tinny" - It tasted fine to me.  I had the premium drink package as that's what came with our cruise when we purchased - and would just order "water" and sometimes they would give me the glass bottle, sometimes the aluminum.  I didn't notice any difference in taste to be honest.  

• Like 1