Internet Speed on Discovery Princess SLOW .07mbs

y618495

What speeds are you getting on Discovery Princess? I'm currently on board and could not get the medallion app to work after following all instructions. I couldn't order a drink with the app or check out my excursions. I logged out and back in but nothing seemed to work so I deleted the app trying to start from scratch. DON'T DELETE THE APP WHILE AT SEA! It takes hours to download the app with the poor speed I'm getting .07mbs. When I go to the internet cafe the download speed is better on their computers but my phone is still slow and I'm getting no help from staff. I've visited guest services, Ocean Front, and the internet cafe and am being told that .07mbs is the speed I should expect. This can't be right. Anybody have a different experience or any tips for getting better speeds?

It actually depended on where on the ship I was.  Atrium  I got good connections and decent speed.  In the room (14 mid-aft), ok connection and speed. On deck was the worst.

Right after boarding we headed to the Ocean Medallion area by Princess Live for help in getting signed in, as Apple devices require a different login process than Android devices.

While on the Caribbean Princess in January, we had great speeds.

Took the same itinerary on the Regal in February, and it was slow as molasses.

My guess is that they have either changed providers, or opted for a slower/throttled plan.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, CineGraphic said:

My guess is that they have either changed providers, or opted for a slower/throttled plan.

He was asking about the Discovery Princess.

2 hours ago, scooter6139 said:

Right after boarding we headed to the Ocean Medallion area by Princess Live for help in getting signed in, as Apple devices require a different login process than Android devices.

Is it required to go to the OM area to get set up, or is it possible to walk us through what you needed to do?

1 hour ago, CineGraphic said:

Something happened.  We were on the Ruby Princess to Sydney in September 2019. WiFi speed was amazing, I posted speed checks in my blog. DH got on the ship on the same itinerary (to Hawaii at least) in February 10, 2022 and it was still great (he sent me one speed check, 47mbps download speed, I think). But within a week or so, it deteriorated dramatically. He never again got any speed even close to that until he got off the ship in late April.  I believe that the provider did change. 

Sorry, it was a full month ago and I don't recall it all.  I DO remember having to go to a web site to also "login" to make it work right.  I think it was something like portal.princess.com or similar.  I've seen it posted before.

There should be some documentation in the room about how to sign in your specific device.  I was annoyed as an IT person who couldn't get it to work right so I just sought the experts onboard.

1 hour ago, Astro Flyer said:

On Discovery in Mar/Apr along the Mexican & CA coasts it averaged 3.5-up; 2.5-down. Their website provides explanations about satellite coverage & reasons why closer to the poles it’s diminished.

Right now on the Grand Princess download speed is averaging 2.0 and upload around 1.0 if lucky. We are near Ketchikan at the moment headed to Vancouver. 

• Thanks 1

I'm on the Discovery Princess cruise next week and a little worried about internet speed. Sounds like it's bad.

If you are on the cruise right now can you tell me if masks have been required?

What gets me annoyed is that on-ship stuff should be wicked fast. They should have a server that can service the medallian app for on-board stuff like menus, ordering, communicating between passengers, etc. But no (or they had a 3rd grader design their wifi system using surplus radio shack parts). Seems like the panels by the elevators work ok. Don't know why they can't get the app to work on-board. 

4 hours ago, kangelop said:

I'm on the Discovery Princess cruise next week and a little worried about internet speed. Sounds like it's bad.

If you are on the cruise right now can you tell me if masks have been required?

I got off the Discovery on Sunday. WiFi was completely unusable all week - and as for your question re: masks, I would guess only about 10% of passengers (myself included) wore them. 

The ship is stunning and service was great. But the fact that the WiFi was nonexistent, and my three favorite alcoholic beverages were unobtainable all week (they never stocked Kahlua or Baileys at any bars all week and ran out of Domaine Chandon shipwide twice during the sailing) meant my Plus package was not worth the money I paid for it. I really hope bars are restocked and WiFi improved before I embark again on Discovery in July. 

Edited by CACruiser1973

I've had fast internet on all Princess ships, using an iphone and ipad. Try moving around the ship and finding a stronger connection. Alaska can have problems with tv reception, from what I've read in the past, so that might include wifi reception also. You'll also be in US cities for at least half of your cruise, and the terminal in Victoria also has free wifi, so on my last Alaska cruise I didn't buy internet and instead spent my sea days looking for whales and Dall's porpoises. I was able to get a usable cell data  signal for most of the inside passage of Alaska, before going out into the open ocean, and as soon as we got near the WA coast and approach towards Victoria I got a decent cell signal as well, using ATT. 

We recently sailed a 14 day TA ( Fort Lauderdale to Copenhagen) followed by an 11 day Western Europe (Copenhagen to Southampton) on the Enchanted Princess. Prior to the TA, we were told internet would be poor and we were each given $140 refundable OBC ($10/day). On the Western Europe, internet was a little better, but still poor. We had to request OBC, but were provided $109 refundable OBC each. We have an upcoming 14 day Iceland/Norway R/T out of Southampton next month. Our invoice on the Personalizer already shows an OBC adjustment of $160. Since we have the Plus package, I assume that is a credit for the Best Wi-Fi at sea we won't have.

10 hours ago, CACruiser1973 said:

I really hope bars are restocked and WiFi improved before I embark again on Discovery in July. 

What makes you think that they'll actually address the problems and fix them when they won't even reply to written complaints?

10 hours ago, CineGraphic said:

What makes you think that they'll actually address the problems and fix them when they won't even reply to written complaints?

My naïveté and blind hope? I was being rather facetious when I said it but still can hold out hope it is true. Otherwise I face a cruise that is already paid for with less enthusiasm. 

9 hours ago, caribill said:

Did you make the request to the Internet manager, the Guest Services desk, other?

I made the request to Guest Services who I believe passed it on to the Internet Manager.

• Thanks 1

On 6/6/2022 at 1:58 PM, y618495 said:

What speeds are you getting on Discovery Princess? I'm currently on board and could not get the medallion app to work after following all instructions. I couldn't order a drink with the app or check out my excursions. I logged out and back in but nothing seemed to work so I deleted the app trying to start from scratch. DON'T DELETE THE APP WHILE AT SEA! It takes hours to download the app with the poor speed I'm getting .07mbs. When I go to the internet cafe the download speed is better on their computers but my phone is still slow and I'm getting no help from staff. I've visited guest services, Ocean Front, and the internet cafe and am being told that .07mbs is the speed I should expect. This can't be right. Anybody have a different experience or any tips for getting better speeds?

Yes, you are sailing AK.

Cruise ship internet is satellite based & the further from the equator you get, the worse the reception. 

It is what it is.