breakfast room service tips

Random Cruizer

Well, no, we are not talking about Celebrity charges for room service in off hours. We would never order room service between. 11:00 PM  and 6:00 AM (do those hours even exist?). This is about tipping the  delivery guy. Now, if I order room service during more regular times, the food charge is free. But is it expected that I tip the delivery person, even though I am in a suite with tips included (supposedly?). Or maybe I am not in a suite but booked with the AI price? Is a tip expected in that case? These are the questions. 

2 minutes ago, Dolebludger said:

Well, no, we are not talking about Celebrity charges for room service in off hours. We would never order room service between. 11:00 PM  and 6:00 AM (do those hours even exist?). This is about tipping the  delivery guy. Now, if I order room service during more regular times, the food charge is free. But is it expected that I tip the delivery person, even though I am in a suite with tips included (supposedly?). Or maybe I am not in a suite but booked with the AI price? Is a tip expected in that case? These are the questions. 

Much ado and drama about a decision only you can make.  Seems your looking for validation and justification for whatever you decide to do.

No, not at all! I am just trying to figure out the tipping etiquette for those in the Celebrity Retreat. If tipping us expected on a cruise in those accommodations, I will certainly deem compliance in comparing such cruises with those on lines where ALL  tips are included. Is it bad that I am trying to only compare “apples to apples”?  All I am saying is all the Celebrity ads say that all suites SS and up have “tips included”. If that is not the case, I have no problem. I just want to know  what Celebrity considers “tips included” to mean, for comparison purposes. There is probably “fine print” somewhere that describes this. But I have neither the ability nor inclination to go through it. And that us why I ask on CC.

49 minutes ago, Dolebludger said:

No, not at all! I am just trying to figure out the tipping etiquette for those in the Celebrity Retreat. If tipping us expected on a cruise in those accommodations, I will certainly deem compliance in comparing such cruises with those on lines where ALL  tips are included. Is it bad that I am trying to only compare “apples to apples”?  All I am saying is all the Celebrity ads say that all suites SS and up have “tips included”. If that is not the case, I have no problem. I just want to know  what Celebrity considers “tips included” to mean, for comparison purposes. There is probably “fine print” somewhere that describes this. But I have neither the ability nor inclination to go through it. And that us why I ask on CC.

I asked a similar question (who shares tips) a while ago and was directed to this faq

Https://www.celebritycruises.com/faqs/gratuity-program 

That being said, whether included or not, I would always tip someone providing me a special service.

Edited by capecodmercury

Hi, we are booked on the Equinox for our first cruise this August.  I would really appreciate any tips on how your cruise went.  We have 2 inside staterooms booked - and would like to know how you moved up to verandah and the estimate amount for a move up bid.  We are a family of 4 adults travelling from Ireland, and supper excited.  Can't wait to read more posts on your cruise.

Tips make crew feel good and maybe when you give them they’ll make you feel good too.

If you’ll feel bad by not tipping, then tip. 

A five dollar bill is appreciated by any crew member for a task. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Dolebludger said:

all the Celebrity ads say that all suites SS and up have “tips included”. If that is not the case, I have no problem. I just want to know  what Celebrity considers “tips included” to mean,

This means they’re not adding tips to your account and crew are paid a base wage with a share of the tip allocation distributed among service staff. 

This means you are not required to tip.
You can choose to give tips. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Dolebludger said:

These are the questions. 

Whether or not you have AI and whether or not you ordered between 6am and 11pm, it would be highly inappropriate not to tip for room service, regardless of cruise line.

• Like 3

21 hours ago, Dolebludger said:

I would think it would depend on whether you are booked “cruise only” or “always included”. I would think the above advice is all good if you are cruise only. But if you are booked always included I would think tips are included in your fare, and there is no motivation to tip twice.

There is no difference when it comes to gratuities for AI or Cruise Only. AI has gratuities pre-paid as part of final payment; Cruise Only has gratuities added to the On Board Charges.

So unless someone on a Cruise Only who sneaks down and removes their auto-gratuities, they are paying gratuities the same, and many do the pre-paid anyway. 

And gratuities do not cover room server personnel. I”m the 2nd (plus the 10,435 others who have posted on this in prior threads) to confirm they aren’t covered. 

By the way, as all tip discussions go, there are those that even tip extra those that do and do not receive gratuities for some direct service; those that tip extra for special service; those that don’t tip extra but pay their gratuities; those that convince themselves screwing over the staff is OK and remove their gratuities.

Den 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This link will bring you to the following explanation of tips in the Always Included℠ Pricing Package:

Effective November 17, 2020, with the Always Included℠ Pricing Package:
Beverage package gratuities and daily gratuities for Dining Service Staff, Stateroom Attendants, and other Stateroom Service Personnel are included as part of Always Included pricing. An 18% gratuity will be added to all spa & salon purchases onboard.

I interpret other Stateroom Service Personnel to include those who deliver room service orders.  If I'm paying for the Always Included℠ Pricing Package which includes the above referenced tips, I'm not tipping again.  As tipping is a personal decision, others are certainly welcome to tip twice.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 6/14/2022 at 4:01 AM, jakebloke said:

A few dollars is fine.  Just keep your expectations low for the quality of the food.  If you’re a breakfast person, you may find it lacking.  

The biggest issue and this is true for most cruise lines; if you do not ask for "fresh eggs" they'll use the pre-mix eggs out of a carton

On 6/14/2022 at 3:25 PM, Dolebludger said:

I would think it would depend on whether you are booked “cruise only” or “always included”. I would think the above advice is all good if you are cruise only. But if you are booked always included I would think tips are included in your fare, and there is no motivation to tip twice.

The person bringing your breakfast very likely is pulling extra duty - that is NOT their day job. Which means it is likely outside of the groups who will receive some distribution from the “included” gratuities. Pretend you have some level of compassion and gratitude for their work to provide you a comfortable breakfast in your cabin, and tip them a few $ already!.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Dolebludger said:

If you’re in the retreat, odds are your butler/retreat host will deliver room service. There’s no reason to dig out a fiver; add something extra at the end. I’ll avoid the argument that that’s not an above and beyond in the retreat; we’d add extra. 

Random guy from food service, retreat or no, $3-5. 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, -Lew- said:

I interpret other Stateroom Service Personnel to include those who deliver room service orders.

It's impressive the lengths some will go to find ways to justify stiffing the staff. Kudos to you on your creativity.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

8 hours ago, RichYak said:

...stiffing the staff.

Until proof is offered that Dining Service Staff and other Stateroom Service Personnel does not include staff who deliver room service, I will not tip for room service when I've paid for the Always Included℠ Pricing Package.  I take Always Included at face value...

9 hours ago, Cruise a holic said:

We always give a few dollars to the person who brings our breakfast- except if in a suite, we tip the butler at the end of the cruise.

We are in a suite next cruise. Would it be incorrect to tip the butler each time he brings breakfast, coffee or afternoon snacks. Do most people just tip him/ her at the end of the cruise?

Edited by sunlover33

On 6/15/2022 at 4:56 PM, NutsAboutGolf said:

The biggest issue and this is true for most cruise lines; if you do not ask for "fresh eggs" they'll use the pre-mix eggs out of a carton

No way my over easy eggs came out of a carton. Is there another way to order eggs I’m not aware of? 🙂

• Haha 1

46 minutes ago, sunlover33 said:

We are in a suite next cruise. Would it be incorrect to tip the butler each time he brings breakfast, coffee or afternoon snacks. Do most people just tip him/ her at the end of the cruise?

We typically give the butler $20 per day at cruise end.  Some more if they are special

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, sunlover33 said:

We are in a suite next cruise. Would it be incorrect to tip the butler each time he brings breakfast, coffee or afternoon snacks.

Yes, that would be incorrect.

They will not be expecting it and they are working towards the envelope at the end of the cruise.

• Like 1