Carnival Long Lines for Everything

JP350

I'm diamond on Carnival and have seen how the service and maintenance have changed over the years. I have not waited in the long lines described, but the service and wait times for pizza and deli have definitely lengthened. I think they are too focused on cost cutting; but, I know you get what you pay for too and Carnival has some of the best rates around especially right now.

• Like 3

I have a friend who is totally "loyal to Royal" and recently cruised Carnival for the first time on Sunrise to give it a try.

I heard nothing but complaints about the entire cruise and she was constantly comparing it to Royal and how wonderful they are.  She couldn't believe that I would sail Carnival after being on Royal.

Sometimes people don't really give it a good try.  Their minds are set from the beginning that they aren't going to like it because their chosen line is simply the best and nothing will ever compare.

• Like 2

On 6/14/2022 at 3:19 PM, JP350 said:

The line for guys was wrapped around blue iguana to the ice cream machines on the blue iguana side. The other line was wrapped through the marketplace and ended in the aft pool area. 

Yes, the burgers are good, but I would have to be near starvation to stand in that long of a line!

• Like 2

On 6/14/2022 at 3:52 PM, thundercrack said:

Aren't the pizza's "personal" sized?

Pretty much, yeah.  Unless I'm truly just wanting a snack, I order a whole one. 

It's not people taking whole pizzas that are the issue.  It's that I've literally never seen more than two people working there at a time.  On multiple ships.  The vast majority of the time it's just one person flying solo.

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, ultrafighter said:

It's not people taking whole pizzas that are the issue.  It's that I've literally never seen more than two people working there at a time.  On multiple ships.  The vast majority of the time it's just one person flying solo.

This is what I observed on the Ecstasy last week. I never saw more than one person working at the pizza station. There was always a line of several people each time I went.

They had the same issue with the deli. Usually only one person working and always a line. I did see 2 people working at the deli a few times, but even then it was slow. It seemed  to take 2-3 minutes for them to make each sandwich. If 10 people were in front of me, and only one employee was working, it took 20-30 minutes to get a sandwich and chips. 

I think they could solve some of the issues with lines at the pizza / deli by opening the buffet an hour earlier at lunch & dinner 11:00 AM & 5:00 PM instead of Noon and 6:00 PM. The hour before the buffet opened seemed to have some of the longest lines.

Edited by JT1962
  • Like 1

On 6/14/2022 at 11:55 AM, JP350 said:

I just got off a 4 night cruise on the carnival sunrise. (Which was my first carnival cruise) There were lines for everything related to food all hours of the day. The only exception to this rule was the mdr where service was slow but manageable. Other than that howeverI waited in an hour line for guys burgers 3 days and a 45 min line for the deli 1 day. Pizza had an hour and a half line the whole time as well. Is this normal on carnival to wait for food like this because that could effect if I cruise them again. The cruise was a 90% capacity which idk if that was a factor. I’ve been on 16 Royal Caribbean cruises one on symphony where we had 6400 passengers on bord and I still had to wait no more than 5 min for any food. Other than that the crew was excellent.

We got off the Sunrise on Monday and experienced the same problem with hour long lines and spotty room service availability. We've chosen to pause sailing with Carnival due to these and other issues we encountered on this past sailing.

• Like 2

Recently cruised on Magic. When we got back, people in our FB group were complaining about there being lines for everything, to the point they said they would never cruise again. The most I waited in line was about 10-15min for Guys Bbq soon after it opened. 

That said, in my experience on Sunrise it did feel more crowded then other ships and the breakfast lines were always crazy. We figured out quick to go to the Italian restaurant to get eggs made to order and then was a small buffet. There's usually a work around if your patient. 

8 hours ago, JT1962 said:

This is what I observed on the Ecstasy last week. I never saw more than one person working at the pizza station. They had the same issue with the deli. Usually only one person working and always a line.

One person is typical of Carnival, even before the pandemic. A lot of the deli food is even already prepared. If it's almost closing time they usually have no fries. But, they always two people at the Seafood Shack since you have to pay for that.

3 hours ago, Sailor75 said:

I was on the Freedom in April and they had two lines, one for pizza and one for the pizza plus which was chicken parmesan and lasagna. I don't know which other ships have that.

Ecstasy for one

PXL_20220411_170238876.MP_DxO.jpg

Hmmm....did 2 cruises, one in March and one in May....never waited more than 5 minutes for guys burger....only lineup I waited in was for an made to order omelet station for breakfast, other than that....great service....

On 6/17/2022 at 4:14 PM, ATL_Miami_Cruiser said:

We got off the Sunrise on Monday and experienced the same problem with hour long lines and spotty room service availability. We've chosen to pause sailing with Carnival due to these and other issues we encountered on this past sailing.

At least I know that I still have a bit of sanity🤪! How was your experience on that cruise epically the debarkation!

On 6/17/2022 at 6:58 PM, Sailor75 said:

I was on the Freedom in April and they had two lines, one for pizza and one for the pizza plus which was chicken parmesan and lasagna. I don't know which other ships have that.

Huh I’ve never seen that on Royal ships before, but it seems like a great idea! Hope it makes the rounds.

On 6/15/2022 at 3:55 PM, mz-s said:

34:1 space ratio seems about standard for Carnival (outside of the Spirit class obviously). That's what Fantasy class, Sunshine class, and Excel class are purported to have per GoCCL. I didn't look at the other classes but they should be in that range as well.

All the ships feel crowded in the Summer though. That's when the pullmans and trundles get filled up with kids that don't sail during the school year.

That’s a good point about the Pullman’s and trundles I would’ve never thought of that!

On 6/15/2022 at 6:02 PM, ALWAYS CRUZIN said:

50 cruises with carnival. never ever had your experience. Pizza line maybe the longest 15 min. because we have a pizza made the way we like it. Guy's maybe 5 or 6 min. Sometimes I also have the burger made the way I like it, so yes a bit longer. Buffet, never. Always quick unless waiting for something to be made or brought out that is empty.

50 cruises wow that’s a lot!! I hope to get there someday.

On 6/15/2022 at 8:04 PM, Batman5924 said:

I’m platinum on Carnival. Done 3 Royals. 2 Disney. 1 Norwegian. I think most people have done more or less different lines to different degrees.  I have no problem with comparisons between cruise lines.  

Neither do I i hope this isn’t a problem on this forum, but which lines are the best in your opinion.

On 6/14/2022 at 3:23 PM, Saint Greg said:

There's absolutely no way I'd get in a line like that. It would have to be the only food they had on the ship. Which is what we had when they kept us the extra day for COVID-19 in 2020. That produced the longest Guy's line I've ever seen. I'm in it here.

7AE21861-0068-4F41-B7C5-A683D0274147.thu

Darn I shoulda gotten a picture. Thanks for the contribution. This is kinda what sunrise looked like too.

On 6/14/2022 at 4:49 PM, lazydayz said:

Most three night cruises are the booze cruises.  The four night cruises can go either way - if they are not over the weekend, they tend to be more sedate.  However, we are taking our three grands on a three night (weekend) cruise on June 24, and there is plenty for a family to do.  For us, the big draw on this one is a chance to check out Bimini, and to celebrate DH's birthday at the steakhouse (a first for the two younger grands, who are 13 and 15 - and a big risk for future cruises - LOL).  

If we encounter lines like the OP did, we will either wait for the lines to die down or find something else, even if it has a delivery fee. 

And note to the OP, this is not normal.  We were on the Mardi Gras in May, at 100% capacity and waited less than 10 minutes for Shaq's Big Chicken. 

From what we’ve found if there’s a 4 night during the school year, and it’s cheaper than it’s going to be a majority empty cruise, but if it’s on the expensive side and during breaks from school than it’s a boose cruise.

1 hour ago, JP350 said:

Darn I shoulda gotten a picture. Thanks for the contribution. This is kinda what sunrise looked like too.

In the situation of the picture I posted. It was carnival panorama spring of 2020. Debarkation day. We were held over due to a possible covid case. And Guy’s was the only food available on the ship. I can’t imagine a smaller ship having a similar line on a regular day when the Buffett, pizza, deli, brunch, and burrito places are open.

Just back off Carnival Pride. The ship was almost full. THe only queue I experienced was for dinner with anytime dining. It was often 60 minutes but we just joined the queue in the app before our pre dinner drinks.

There was no real queue for embarkation, disembarkation, lifts, drinks, buffet food, burger, burritos, guest services, or coffee.  Occasionally somebody might be being served before you but you were next. I did not try the pizza though. When returning back to ship from port you might have to queue a few minutes but hardly a wait at all.  

I have cruised on many ships with many lines from budget to luxury, and I have probably never queued for less time. 

Best wishes, Stephen. 

• Like 2

Currently on the Freedom sailing on my 25th Carnival cruise. This is a whole new side of Carnival that I've never seen before. The lines are never ending. I tried all week to get to the Mongolian Wok but the lines wrapped out into the elevator lobby. The Lido buffet was equally long. I gave up and went to the deli which was 30 minutes start to finish. FOR A SANDWICH.

The checkin for breakfast on 1 morning said 10-20 minutes and the other 2 mornings said less than 10. I was never seated in less than 30 minutes. It took an hour yesterday from checkin (listed at less than 10 minutes) until I got tea and toast in the dining room. Today, I waited in my room for 45 minutes and then went to the dining room to see what was happening. I was no longer on the waiting list and they have no idea why. I was seated immediately but I'm glad I didn't just wait around in my room.

I never got off the ship this sailing so I can't speak to how long it took to get on/off at the ports.

• Like 1

On 6/14/2022 at 9:12 PM, mz-s said:

It's just so out of the ordinary I am having trouble believing it. Now we all know that if you go to Guy's at 12:15 or Pizza at 12 midnight you're going to wait. But an hour? Simply never seen it.

The Sunrise is a big ship, certainly someone else had to have been on the ship and can corroborate.

I'm here now on Freedom. I've seen it. Believe it.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, charliesdad63 said:

The lines are never ending. I tried all week to get to the Mongolian Wok but the lines wrapped out into the elevator lobby. 

I was on the Carnival Valor at the end of May. I got in line for the Mongolian Wok right when it opened and both lines were already wrapped to the elevators. It took a little over an hour to finally get my food. I never went back there again during lunch because the line was ridiculously long every day. 

23 minutes ago, CruisingFromLA said:

I was on the Carnival Valor at the end of May. I got in line for the Mongolian Wok right when it opened and both lines were already wrapped to the elevators. It took a little over an hour to finally get my food. I never went back there again during lunch because the line was ridiculously long every day. 

As I recall, the lines for the Mongolian Wok were like this pre-covid.  It was like "breadlines" during the depression.  The deli lines for sandwiches weren't much better.

But I am getting a bit nervous about my Sept Magic cruise.  We were on 3 post covid NCL cruises...and even last week...on the Joy...at about 75% capacity....there was never a line.