Formal nights

florence11

8 hours ago, mtnesterz said:

Pretty sure you are thinking of one titled Main Dining Room, started last Sunday. It was closed by Michell. There had been a similar thread closed, probably because it was getting heated. Seemingly coincidentally, that one started right up so quickly, it made me laugh.

I'm pretty sure this one got locked, too.

On 7/2/2022 at 9:30 AM, Eglesbrech said:

Just FYI the written Princess dress code is much better adhered to in Europe. Formal nights are still relatively formal. 

Then let me forwarn everyone & apologize ahead of time as I'm leaving my formal dress and sequin shoes home on my Transatlantic cruise from Southampton. I'm only traveling with a 17" carryon so I have to prioritize space and something that I'll wear for 2-3 hrs 3 times doesn't make the cut. Will be "dressing to impress" but not formal (think a step up from services) as I can mix & match to wear multiple evenings

Edited by Ombud
Typo
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Ombud said:

Then let me forwarn everyone & apologize ahead of time as I'm leaving my formal dress and sequin shoes home on my Transatlantic cruise from Southampton. I'm only traveling with a 17" carryon so I have to prioritize space and something that I'll wear for 2-3 hrs 3 times doesn't make the cut. Will be "dressing to impress" but not formal (think a step up from services) as I can mix & match to wear multiple evenings

Entirely your choice. I was simply providing information, nothing more. 

I admire your packing skills if you can manage with just carry on. I wish I could be so compact 😀.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Eglesbrech said:

Entirely your choice. I was simply providing information, nothing more. 

I admire your packing skills if you can manage with just carry on. I wish I could be so compact 😀.

It's a mess. Don't want to risk losing suitcase or clothes 

Screenshot_20220721-042729_Chrome.thumb.jpg.39c8954a27e3d6cd5ca9fd5ebde6c0c7.jpg

Edited by Ombud

2 hours ago, GonzoWCS said:

Princess over, Cunard coming back...  What airline issues...  🙂

Cheers

😅🤣😂even my land based only trips are affected. Issues with most airlines into Europe. 

Edited by Ombud

4 hours ago, Ombud said:

It's a mess. Don't want to risk losing suitcase or clothes 

Screenshot_20220721-042729_Chrome.thumb.jpg.39c8954a27e3d6cd5ca9fd5ebde6c0c7.jpg

Yes we had our own airport “experience” recently. Now avoiding them like the plague.

Wise decision re hand luggage. One of my friends packs light, they take their oldest fast fashion summer clothes (and underwear) for through the day and thrown them away at the end of the holiday making space for any new purchases. 

I tend to buy more sturdy clothes that last but if someone is into fast fashion I suppose it could work for them.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ombud said:

😅🤣😂even my land based only trips are affected. Issues with most airlines into Europe. 

Eeek.  Now that is problematic to be sure!   Be safe and aware

Cheers

On 6/25/2022 at 12:59 AM, florence11 said:

We are booked on our 1st Princess cruise in March 2022 to the caribbean. I noticed on the web site that there are 3 formal nights and the rest are smart casual, how formal are theses nights

Tracey, thank you for asking and thank you for caring enough to ask.

Formal nights are much less formal than they used to be. I wear dress slacks, a jacket with a collared shirt, no tie. That seems to be mainstream on a FL cruise. It might be under dressed on a Northern Europe cruise.

On 6/26/2022 at 9:41 AM, CruizinSusan70 said:

I am fully aware of the changing attitudes over the years since I have been cruising for over 35 years.  I put the initial blame squarely at Norwegian when they came out with their anytime dining and the relaxed dress codes many years ago.

The "casualization" (please attribute me if you use my new word) of American dress started before NCL started Freestyle. Freestyle was a reflection of society, not the leading edge.

I work in one of the last industries (investments & banking) where wearing a suit is still the daily norm. My friends who are lawyers only wear suits when they are in court or initial client meetings. (as an aside, ponder why lawyers wear suits in court). It is really downhill from there. I was in a meeting with a potential client a few years ago. He was in flip flops, shorts a t-shirt and at one point in the meeting was picking at his toes with his flip flops off. I'd have tossed him out of the meeting except he is worth $3,000,000,000 and change 🤣

On 6/29/2022 at 11:47 AM, sloopsailor said:

I'm like you. I don't worry about what everyone is wearing, and don't even notice. That is NOT the reason I am dining there. If what someone else wears ruins a person's dinner, then they have some serious issues they need to see a therapist about. 

It is so hard to shift off this mindset of "it's all about me", "I get to do what I want." Try walking into Atelier Crenn in shorts, tank top and baseball cap and explaining that if anyone doesn't like your dress they need to seek therapy.

Restaurants, even on ships, get to set the dress code. I do wish Princess would draw a line in the sand like Cunard does (same company by the by), but even if they do not, I will abide by their requested dress.

On 6/30/2022 at 12:10 AM, caribill said:

Then Bermuda shorts should be acceptable.

Yes, Bermuda Shorts with a coat (blazer), tie, knee socks and nice shoes would be 100% acceptable on formal night as would a kilt with a coat (blazer), tie, knee socks and nice shoes would be.

On 7/6/2022 at 7:38 AM, Princessfan20 said:

I agree.....most of the cruises we have been on this year plus an 18 day TA people were not dressing to the nines on Formal Nights.   I think all of this talk how people really dress up on formal nights on Princess is becoming wishful thinking or  CC Myth.  Women especially seem to really have wide latitude in that some billowy pants, sandals and an old sparkly top count for formal attire on Princess?  

Perhaps that's the best they have...

19 hours ago, scottca075 said:

Yes, Bermuda Shorts with a coat (blazer), tie, knee socks and nice shoes would be 100% acceptable on formal night

It wouldn't surprise me to see those shorts on a formal night real soon the way things are progressing. (even without the jacket)

Good golly miss Molly .  These formal dress threads are painful .  I mean really, who cares what other people wear , especially people that I will never ever see again.  And why are you trying so hard to impress those people (again that you’ll never see again).

When we travelled on Celebrity in 2020, I was over joyed that they do not have formal nights.  We could pack lighter and not have to endure the uncomfortable feeling of formalwear for 4-5 hours.  It was glorious.

Also if you think about it, in 100 years when we will all be wearing the same thing (silver space suit with a v neck like you see on sci-fi movies), there will be museums with wax statues of people wearing suits and formal dresses and kids will ask, is that what people really wore back then ?

• Haha 2

30 minutes ago, Cruise till you drop said:

These formal dress threads are painful .  I mean really, who cares what other people wear , especially people that I will never ever see again.  And why are you trying so hard to impress those people (again that you’ll never see again).

It's a matter of control, I guess. 

You'll dress to please me or I'll turn you in to the Maître D' and make comments on the cruise survey.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, Cruise till you drop said:

Good golly miss Molly .  These formal dress threads are painful .  I mean really, who cares what other people wear , especially people that I will never ever see again.  And why are you trying so hard to impress those people (again that you’ll never see again).

When we travelled on Celebrity in 2020, I was over joyed that they do not have formal nights.  We could pack lighter and not have to endure the uncomfortable feeling of formalwear for 4-5 hours.  It was glorious.

Also if you think about it, in 100 years when we will all be wearing the same thing (silver space suit with a v neck like you see on sci-fi movies), there will be museums with wax statues of people wearing suits and formal dresses and kids will ask, is that what people really wore back then ?

Exactly.    Well said.  Well up until the point of the last statement lol. 100 years from now Lolol.  

formal wear should be a choice.   
if you don’t want to wear a tux a suit a gown. Don’t.  

these Resturants are nothing more than a high class sizzler/outback.   

in the 40-50-60’s when people always dressed up to fly,  ok.  But this is the 21st century.  Things have changed.  
 Shorts are very common in the corporate world these days.  

Billionaire's are wearing them to corporate meetings. Millionaires wear them as every day wear.
  Why cant some retired old guy just wear shorts and a nice button up and be accepted.  And be comfortable.  Lolol.