Formal nights

florence11

On 6/26/2022 at 5:56 PM, billco said:

We had our 20th anniversary dinner last week at the Olive Garden, our favorite upscale restaurant. We were aghast at the number of people wearing shorts and ballcaps.

Since I'm thinning on top, I tend to wear a ball cap when outside the house. But I'll take it off at the table in any restaurant we dine at. If I don't I'll get whacked by the DW. 

3 hours ago, Ombud said:

Just an FYI, Discovery Princess has an added clarification onboard. It says: Formal. No shorts. 

Having the rule is fine, but the problem I always see is on the enforcement end. Nobody in charge at the MDR is enforcing the rules, therefore people get away with wearing short/flip flops/etc, which should never been seen outside the Buffet. 

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, drowelf said:

Since I'm thinning on top, I tend to wear a ball cap when outside the house. But I'll take it off at the table in any restaurant we dine at. If I don't I'll get whacked by the DW. 

Having the rule is fine, but the problem I always see is on the enforcement end. Nobody in charge at the MDR is enforcing the rules, therefore people get away with wearing short/flip flops/etc, which should never been seen outside the Buffet. 

They will have staff at the entry to the Captains Party and I'm waiting to see if they turn ppl away. According to the flyer they will. If you want to wear shorts then go to the buffet 

9 hours ago, sloopsailor said:

I'm like you. I don't worry about what everyone is wearing, and don't even notice. That is NOT the reason I am dining there. If what someone else wears ruins a person's dinner, then they have some serious issues they need to see a therapist about. 

I do understand the desire to conform and the benefits too.  It just seems some might be a little too susceptible to allowing nonconformists to influence their mood.  But, it is pretty common and I'm not sure it is an issue needing a therapist, at least for most.   

On 6/26/2022 at 5:10 AM, windsor26 said:

I eel that if you go on a cruise that has a nice dining restaurant you would not be expected to wear what would NOT be accepted in the RSL clubs or similar in your own country  ie  no caps/hats etc and no shorts after 5.30pm

Even within one country, what would be expected can differ.

While, for example, what you say is true in Washington, D.C. and NYC, it would not be true in South Florida where very casual is the style in many nice dining establishments.

• Like 1

On 6/26/2022 at 3:57 PM, mtnesterz said:

American ethnocentrism. It's their restaurant, their ship sailing under the flag of Bermuda, in international waters.

Then Bermuda shorts should be acceptable.

Per Mr. Google:

What is formal Bermuda dress code?

The “Bermuda rig,” or formal men's outfit, includes a blazer, shorts, and knee socks—and its origin dates back to the beginning of the 20th century, when British military officers stationed on the island found that wearing long trousers in the hot tropical climate was almost unbearable.
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, drowelf said:

It seems Princess should hire your DW to enforce the rules on Princess ships.

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

11 hours ago, Ombud said:

They will have staff at the entry to the Captains Party and I'm waiting to see if they turn ppl away. According to the flyer they will. If you want to wear shorts then go to the buffet 

At the very least it's always been casual for that party. It'll be interesting to hear what it's changed to now. 

I can't say I've every seen shorts at the Capt. party. 

9 hours ago, caribill said:

Then Bermuda shorts should be acceptable...

The “Bermuda rig,” or formal men's outfit, includes a blazer, shorts, and knee socks—and its origin dates back to the beginning of the 20th century, when British military officers stationed on the island found that wearing long trousers in the hot tropical climate was almost unbearable.

Guess you missed the part about being their ship and their restaurant. If you want to wear a jacket and tie with shorts, you just go right ahead for all I care. See if you can dazzle them with your history lesson about your, "Bermuda Rig," at the MDR door and see what they say. I am old and fat and believe I would just get laughed at. 

https://www.walmart.com/ip/SUITMEISTER-Christmas-Suits-for-Men-Ugly-Xmas-Suit-Include-Jacket-Short-Pants-Tie-Large-Christmas-Green-Nordic/236964884

• Haha 2

We used to be fans of Formal Night.  My wife would purchase a long gown, I of course had by Tuxedo.  But....times have changed.  People, especially in Florida are much less formal. The airlines have not helped with numerous surcharges on luggage.

Personally I take a nice sport jacket, pants that go with the jacket, tie and shirt.  But if someone does not wish to wear a sport coat, no problem.  It will not affect the quality of the food or enjoyment of the evening. 

It has been 5 or 6 years (or more?) since we have been on Princess.  I look forward to doing another Princess cruise later this year.  

So, getting back to the OP's question, I'm going to infer from all of the complaints about lack of enforcement that formal night is not all that formal?  

57 minutes ago, ldubs said:

It has been 5 or 6 years (or more?) since we have been on Princess.  I look forward to doing another Princess cruise later this year.  

So, getting back to the OP's question, I'm going to infer from all of the complaints about lack of enforcement that formal night is not all that formal?  

In recent years it's become less and less formal.

(especially just after the return from the shutdown)

It's all what you want to make of the night. Some still dress up while others dine in what used to be considered casual. Princess doesn't seem to enforce any dress code like they used to.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, MissP22 said:

In recent years it's become less and less formal.

(especially just after the return from the shutdown)

It's all what you want to make of the night. Some still dress up while others dine in what used to be considered casual. Princess doesn't seem to enforce any dress code like they used to.

Up until mid-2019, I always brought a tuxedo.  On our last two cruises in 2019, I brought a business suit.  This time, I'm debating on whether or not I should even bring a tie.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, SiliconCruiser said:

Up until mid-2019, I always brought a tuxedo.  On our last two cruises in 2019, I brought a business suit.  This time, I'm debating on whether or not I should even bring a tie.

The most important thing is to do what pleases you as an individual, not what other may think. 

That's want is so nice about the way Princess is handling this whole dress code requirement. 

• Like 1

On 6/29/2022 at 11:09 PM, drowelf said:

Isn’t it a bit of a no no for a man to wear headwear inside anyway? Especially in a church btw, I am always amazed that when on tours and you go into a church or cathedral how many men keep their baseball caps on. Now that is definitely a no no. Ladies wear hats ( although not really any more) and men take them off as they enter. I always believe in When in Rome do as the Romans do and respect whatever  traditions go with the particular religious building.  If I was visiting a Mosque I would cover my head and not wear anything at all revealing. Again I have seem Westerners going into Mosques wearing little tiny vest tops revealing their bras. Anyway I digress on that one.

We have just come off a British Isles cruise and dressed formally, we ate early so didn’t see many dressed formally at first, so much so that even our waiter commented it wasn’t on and they shouldn’t be let in . Fortunately when we finished our meal and were walking round the ships lots were dressed formally or at least in a jacket and tie and ladies in nice dresses or evening trousers and top and very nice they looked to. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, SiliconCruiser said:

I ditched the tie a long time ago.  On the so-called formal nights or whatever it's called on the particular line I'm on, I wear a black sport coat - 19 ounces - and then wear a colored T-shirt with a matching pocket square, and a pair of black jeans or trousers.  It's worked from Cunard all the way down to NCL.

There will always be those without a clue about decorum who will wear their ballcap in the MDR - essentially broadcasting their upbringing and IQ to the rest of us.

3 minutes ago, SargassoPirate said:

I ditched the tie a long time ago.  On the so-called formal nights or whatever it's called on the particular line I'm on, I wear a black sport coat - 19 ounces - and then wear a colored T-shirt with a matching pocket square, and a pair of black jeans or trousers.  It's worked from Cunard all the way down to NCL.

There will always be those without a clue about decorum who will wear their ballcap in the MDR - essentially broadcasting their upbringing and IQ to the rest of us.

With you on the ball cap, which derives from the Kepi, a working hat for soldiers and police. Work clothes should not be in the MDR.

Since we dress for dinner, where I run into problems is not the jacket or pants, but the bulk and weight of dress shoes in luggage. I can wear the jacket on the plane. If you have a look that works, that's great, but my guess is you're not wearing flat sandals to dinner. Interested in your thoughts on packing shoes.

3 hours ago, amajaa said:

Isn’t it a bit of a no no for a man to wear headwear inside anyway?

I was on one cruise on a formal evening when a man walked into the dining room dressed nicely, but also wearing a nice cowboy hat.

When questioned by the staff, he said "In Texas where I come from, this is formal."

3 hours ago, amajaa said:

Isn’t it a bit of a no no for a man to wear headwear inside anyway? Especially in a church btw, I am always amazed that when on tours and you go into a church or cathedral how many men keep their baseball caps on. Now that is definitely a no no.

At least they're going to church.

A hat would seem to be the least of the problem. 

8 minutes ago, Eglesbrech said:

Just FYI the written Princess dress code is much better adhered to in Europe. Formal nights are still relatively formal. 

I've noticed this to , also in Asian travels. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MissP22 said:

True but then if you are attending a service you should know the protocol. I was thinking more about excursions for example when visiting Saint Marks Basilica in Venice quite a few men ( sorry they were mostly American) walked in wearing baseball caps. Also seen in many other cathedrals in Spain and Portugal. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MissP22 said:

I'd agree to the extent that what counts when going to church is not what's on one's head, but what's in one's heart.

The tradition of men not wearing a hat in (Christian) church goes back to when the height of a man's hat was a show of status. Even today, in a kitchen, the tallest hat is worn by the head chef. Still, a man removing a hat in church is an outward show of leveling status; an act of the humble or penitent. 

On a couple Princess ships I've seen, there is a sign ouside the dining room specifically stating no ball caps, shorts or t-shirts. It's their place, respect it or eat in the buffet. Not about a hat, but the attitude.

Edited by mtnesterz
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, mtnesterz said:

On a couple Princess ships I've seen, there is a sign ouside the dining room specifically stating no ball caps, shorts or t-shirts. It's their place, respect it or eat in the buffet. Not about a hat, but the attitude.

Not recently on the Enchanted in the Caribbean in April. The signs regarding dress code were removed. 

Actually there was no mention about a dress code, period. Unless you looked it up on the internet, it wasn't mentioned other than at the top of the patter being casual or formal. 

Maybe they put the signs back for those Europeans since they like dressing up so much. 😁