Formal nights

florence11

31 minutes ago, MissP22 said:

Not recently on the Enchanted in the Caribbean in April. The signs regarding dress code were removed. 

Actually there was no mention about a dress code, period. Unless you looked it up on the internet, it wasn't mentioned other than at the top of the patter being casual or formal. 

Maybe they put the signs back for those Europeans since they like dressing up so much. 😁

No signs required 😀We tend to dress for dinner as a matter of habit.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, MissP22 said:

Aren't jeans considered "work clothes"?

These days, jeans are considered to be part of the wardrobe for "business casual" and full accepted in many professional "white collar" environments.  In the last couple of companies that I worked at in the tech industry, the President and/or President/CEO routinely wore jeans.  One of them even wore jeans and boots along with the top half of a tuxedo at a formal event.

And I've been to a few business formal events where most of the people that were wearing formal wear were the blue-collar workers.

These boards  can be very misleading. I just got off the Caribbean Princess last week and couldn’t believe how many people were dressed up for formal nights . The picture gallery  was also bustling and people were buying lots of pics.

The sweatpants baseball cap unmade bed look gang are a very small minority on the ship. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

19 hours ago, mtnesterz said:

With you on the ball cap, which derives from the Kepi, a working hat for soldiers and police. Work clothes should not be in the MDR.

Since we dress for dinner, where I run into problems is not the jacket or pants, but the bulk and weight of dress shoes in luggage. I can wear the jacket on the plane. If you have a look that works, that's great, but my guess is you're not wearing flat sandals to dinner. Interested in your thoughts on packing shoes.

I carry a pair of lightweight black loafers that work for any evening - but I don't wear them with black dress socks and a speedo on the Melanoma Deck.  You can't unsee things like that.

• Haha 3

16 hours ago, SargassoPirate said:

I carry a pair of lightweight black loafers that work for any evening - but I don't wear them with black dress socks and a speedo on the Melanoma Deck.  You can't unsee things like that.

It was ONE TIME sorry...

• Haha 3

The references to attending church made me think if the Polish Catholic church about a half-block from our house where we have a view of the comings and goings if at the window.  Mostly smart casual I would call it, with few suits.  Church around here isn't so dress-up these days.  

5 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

Church around here isn't so dress-up these days.  

Churches here in Florida have never been dressy unless it's around Christmas or Easter.

Many people wear shorts most of the year as it gets hot even for the early service. 

Most people I've seen don't dress up for funerals either. The world has become a a more casual place, weddings being the most dressy.

Cruise ships are like Vegas... long gowns to jeans... cocktail and sun dresses to shorts... soup to nuts.

People who aren't used to dressing up in the real world, often love to play dress up. It creates a special feeling. Others... not.  We loved it and have all of the formal photos to prove it. Princess has loved us for it! 😉

Now we'll opt for 'very' smart casual (almost formal) and eat in the MDR.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Maybe one reason people don't dress up for formal night is it really isn't any different from smart/casual. Pre pandemic there was captain's speech and staff introduction, champagne waterfall, free drinks and socializing in the Piazza, balloon drop, etc. An air of celebration or a special night. Now, it's just another night.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, billco said:

Maybe one reason people don't dress up for formal night is it really isn't any different from smart/casual. Pre pandemic there was captain's speech and staff introduction, champagne waterfall, free drinks and socializing in the Piazza, balloon drop, etc. An air of celebration or a special night. Now, it's just another night.

But I think you'll agree that the food they offer is a little better. 

1 hour ago, MissP22 said:

But I think you'll agree that the food they offer is a little better. 

Not if you're vegetarian, unless you like pumpkin crepe while others are having their lobster or beef wellington.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, billco said:

Not if you're vegetarian, unless you like pumpkin crepe while others are having their lobster or beef wellington.

Oh. Sorry, I didn't consider that option.

• Like 1

On 6/26/2022 at 5:56 PM, billco said:

We had our 20th anniversary dinner last week at the Olive Garden, our favorite upscale restaurant. We were aghast at the number of people wearing shorts and ballcaps.

Since when was Olive Garden ever considered "upscale"?  Capitol Grill or Morton's but Olive Garden? They're like Applebee's.

• Like 1

On 7/2/2022 at 3:55 PM, Wakepatrol said:

These boards  can be very misleading. I just got off the Caribbean Princess last week and couldn’t believe how many people were dressed up for formal nights . The picture gallery  was also bustling and people were buying lots of pics.

The sweatpants baseball cap unmade bed look gang are a very small minority on the ship. 

How long was the cruise? The longer cruises tend to attract those who still dress nicely. This is why we do cruises of 12-15 nights. We don't do tuxes/ties, but smart casual which for us is a sport coat/dress shirt/nice slacks or pressed khakis/gold cup Sperry topsider shoes.

• Like 2

On 7/4/2022 at 8:24 AM, Adventures ahead said:

Most people I've seen don't dress up for funerals either. The world has become a a more casual place, weddings being the most dressy.

Cruise ships are like Vegas... long gowns to jeans... cocktail and sun dresses to shorts... soup to nuts.

People who aren't used to dressing up in the real world, often love to play dress up. It creates a special feeling. Others... not.  We loved it and have all of the formal photos to prove it. Princess has loved us for it! 😉

Now we'll opt for 'very' smart casual (almost formal) and eat in the MDR.

We were at a wedding a few years back everyone was appropriately dress for the occasion except one slob who wore dirty jeans & a t shirt. Turned out the slug was a party crasher who snuck in for the food. We tossed the slob right out the door with a warning: if he walked back in, he would be carried out in a stretcher. He did not come back.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, rbtan said:

We were at a wedding a few years back everyone was appropriately dress for the occasion except one slob who wore dirty jeans & a t shirt. Turned out the slug was a party crasher who snuck in for the food. We tossed the slob right out the door with a warning: if he walked back in, he would be carried out in a stretcher. He did not come back.

Would not try that on a cruise ship.  The results may be way different than what you expect,

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, rbtan said:

Since when was Olive Garden ever considered "upscale"?  Capitol Grill or Morton's but Olive Garden? They're like Applebee's.

Olive Garden is upscale for us compared to where we usually dine on a night out and seems comparable to MDR on a Princess ship.

• Haha 2

51 minutes ago, billco said:

Olive Garden is upscale for us compared to where we usually dine on a night out and seems comparable to MDR on a Princess ship.

I see that you have a wry sense of humor.

1 hour ago, billco said:

It's institutional food.  No different than you would get in most large settings, such as one of the corporate cafeterias at a lot of the tech industry companies.  The only difference is that they serve it on table cloths.  I think you'll also find many of the MDR offerings up in the Buffet as well.

On 7/4/2022 at 11:42 AM, billco said:

I agree.....most of the cruises we have been on this year plus an 18 day TA people were not dressing to the nines on Formal Nights.   I think all of this talk how people really dress up on formal nights on Princess is becoming wishful thinking or  CC Myth.  Women especially seem to really have wide latitude in that some billowy pants, sandals and an old sparkly top count for formal attire on Princess?  

Edited by Princessfan20

50 minutes ago, Princessfan20 said:

Women especially seem to really have wide latitude in that some billowy pants, sandals and an old sparkly top count for formal attire on Princess?  

Well in the past it actually did suffice and today even more so now that Princess has turned a blind eye towards dressing up at all on formal nights. 

At least they've given the guys a little more leeway that had been afforded to only the women in the past. 

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, rbtan said:

I thought this was locked? Strange.

Pretty sure you are thinking of one titled Main Dining Room, started last Sunday. It was closed by Michell. There had been a similar thread closed, probably because it was getting heated. Seemingly coincidentally, that one started right up so quickly, it made me laugh.

• Like 1