Formal nights

florence11

7 minutes ago, lx200gps said:

Don't prevaricate now, tell us what you REALLY think.  

😂

My formal jackets are all light weight and slim fitting so half the weight of my original tuxedo from way back!

I managed to take four on our Caribbean cruise in 2019 and still kept within the 23 kgs airline limit.

As I said before, I really don’t give a monkey’s what others choose to wear.

29 minutes ago, Esprit said:

😂

My formal jackets are all light weight and slim fitting so half the weight of my original tuxedo from way back!

I managed to take four on our Caribbean cruise in 2019 and still kept within the 23 kgs airline limit.

We always fly literally within a pound or two of our airline's max baggage limit, and the added weight of one of my suits, as well as SWMBO's dresses and shoes, would cost a lot more money in excess baggage fees. So unless we are driving to the port, not so easy to do around here, the formal wear, sadly, stays home.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, CruizinSusan70 said:

Wasn't agonizing about it, but what others wear does effect the ambiance of an establishment.  A single wearer of a cap is one thing, but when you have 5/7 men wearing them, it's a bit of overkill.   Baseball caps do not belong in the MDR, let alone a specialty establishment, IMHO. 

I see, but you are fretting about it.   The norms are changing all around us and not likely to ever go back.  Like it or not, wearing caps is now commonplace in American and perhaps other places too.  I think you are going to be unhappy if you expect everyone, especially young folks, to keep the old ways.   

Edited by ldubs
  • Like 2

Those of us on the “other “ side of the pond are much less formal than most Europeans.   PCL is definitely not a premium cruise line and therefore when they “suggest” that you dress to pretend like they are, well......

We can go out to dinner and easily spend $400 for a couple and have much better food and service, I wear jeans (which cost about the same as our dinner and are more fashion-forward than some of the formal attire we’ve witnessed),  others are dressed in similar fashion, and everyone is happy...(nobody snarks about others attire)

Cleanliness is absolutely a must, but let’s not try to impose our values on others when we’re on vacation...if Covid didn’t teach us that life is too short....well, enough said

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Esprit said:

Being a cynic, I doubt very much that if there were no luggage weight limits more people would wear formal attire.

It’s just a lame excuse. Period!

In our case it's definitely not an excuse but a statement of truth. We just plain dislike dressing up just  to have a god meal in the restaurant. 

We also drive to all our cruises and don't have a problem with overweight packing.

Princess has become a cruise line that provides both the decent food and now has a relaxed dress code that is more than tolerant for those on both sides of the aisle. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, ldubs said:

I see, but you are fretting about it.   The norms are changing all around us and not likely to ever go back.  Like it or not, wearing caps is now commonplace in American and perhaps other places too.  I think you are going to be unhappy if you expect everyone, especially young folks, to keep the old ways.   

I am fully aware of the changing attitudes over the years since I have been cruising for over 35 years.  I put the initial blame squarely at Norwegian when they came out with their anytime dining and the relaxed dress codes many years ago.  Other lines have followed suit with making adjustments allowing a more casual atmosphere.  A pair of Izod or Docker shorts with a golf shirt is fine as far as I'm concerned even in a specialized restaurant on board. 

The patron with a baseball cap in a sit down venue on board though crosses the line.  The major problem is that the cruise lines have rules that are worth nothing since they are either not enforced at all or are left up to the individual maitre'd to enforce them or not.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, CruizinSusan70 said:

I am fully aware of the changing attitudes over the years since I have been cruising for over 35 years.  I put the initial blame squarely at Norwegian when they came out with their anytime dining and the relaxed dress codes many years ago.  Other lines have followed suit with making adjustments allowing a more casual atmosphere.  A pair of Izod or Docker shorts with a golf shirt is fine as far as I'm concerned even in a specialized restaurant on board. 

The patron with a baseball cap in a sit down venue on board though crosses the line.  The major problem is that the cruise lines have rules that are worth nothing since they are either not enforced at all or are left up to the individual maitre'd to enforce them or not.

And, what happens when that line is crossed?  You can freak out and decide your evening is ruined or you can ignore them and enjoy yourself.  Choice is yours.  

PS:  I'll have to check the logos on my chinos. 😀

21 minutes ago, ldubs said:

And, what happens when that line is crossed?  You can freak out and decide your evening is ruined or you can ignore them and enjoy yourself.  Choice is yours.  

PS:  I'll have to check the logos on my chinos. 😀

I don't freak out, just shake my head and have another sip of my adult concoction of choice.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ldubs said:

...Like it or not, wearing caps is now commonplace in American and perhaps other places too.  I think you are going to be unhappy if you expect everyone, especially young folks, to keep the old ways.   

American ethnocentrism. It's their restaurant, their ship sailing under the flag of Bermuda, in international waters. Not the local McDonald's. They can ask you to wear what they want. An adult should know how to dress if and when requested and the younger crowd needs to learn to be respectful when travelling.

Edited by mtnesterz
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, trvlwrld said:

Those of us on the “other “ side of the pond are much less formal than most Europeans.  

We took a Baltic cruise in 2019 on the Regal and there were very few people in tuxedos on the formal nights.  Though it should also be noted that most of the passengers were not European either.

36 minutes ago, CruizinSusan70 said:

I don't freak out, just shake my head and have another sip of my adult concoction of choice.

There you go, look at all the entertainment the cap wearers provide!  😀

36 minutes ago, mtnesterz said:

American ethnocentrism. It's their restaurant, their ship sailing under the flag of Bermuda, in international waters. Not the local McDonald's. They can ask you to wear what they want. An adult should know how to dress if and when requested and the younger crowd needs to learn to be respectful when travelling.

As I said before, I'm not a proponent of wearing a cap in the restnts.  I am just saying customs are changing and what might cause an issue for some is deemed perfectly acceptable by others.   I agree about the ship rules.   If they are serious about the rules they should enforce them.  But they don't.  They don't enforce the casual wear "rules" and they don't enforce the formal wear "rules".  If they did, everyone would be wearing evening gowns, cocktail dresses, tuxes, dinner jackets, or dark suits.  As the other poster says,  for a lot of folks, the caps just seem to bend the rule too far.     

[quote]American ethnocentrism. It's their restaurant, their ship sailing under the flag of Bermuda, in international waters.[/quote]

I don't think I can go along with that.  We all know Bermudan, Panamian, Liberian, Bahamian ships are mostly flying the flag to exploit legal loopholes.  Just like offshore corporations in the Caymans and Ireland are not really Caymanian or Irish.  If the start/end port is in the United States, and their majority market is in the U.S., then American ethnocentrism is, in fact, correct.

Edited by tetleytea
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, mtnesterz said:

American ethnocentrism.

I am circling back because I think this is interesting.   I don't think this applies here.  No one in a cap is thinking they are superior.  I doubt they give any thought to what others are wearing or doing because they don't care.   It is interesting though that for just about any country, it is usually deemed perfectly OK to wear that country's local dress even though not covered in the rules.   No one would complain about a kilt or Barong.  Kind of neat to see other customs displayed on ship.  

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, ldubs said:

As I said before, I'm not a proponent of wearing a cap in the restnts.  I am just saying customs are changing and what might cause an issue for some is deemed perfectly acceptable by others.   I agree about the ship rules.   If they are serious about the rules they should enforce them.  But they don't.  They don't enforce the casual wear "rules" and they don't enforce the formal wear "rules".  If they did, everyone would be wearing evening gowns, cocktail dresses, tuxes, dinner jackets, or dark suits.  As the other poster says,  for a lot of folks, the caps just seem to bend the rule too far.     

Now that I read this post, I find we are on the same page and re-read your other post more as I'm sure you intended it to be read.

9 hours ago, Esprit said:

That's a great attitude to have.  I choose Smart Casual in recent times and am done with the formality of a suit.  I am glad you can enjoy dressing up and also happy you don't care about the rest of us (albeit some posts seem a bit slanted to try and convince others to bring the suits or tuxes).  

I will bring one pair of wool dress pants for formal nights - and maybe even for the CG.  I can say that light-weight wool pants are very comfortable (just wore a pair to a life memorial a week or so back and it had been a LONG time and they were great).  The fit and drape of a good pair of wool pants does dress up from chinos or other similar long pants.  Couple with a LS shirt and good to go.  But I am totally fine with Princess encouraging/suggesting formal wear and allowing the flexibility to look decent.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Esprit said:

Being a cynic, I doubt very much that if there were no luggage weight limits more people would wear formal attire.

So say you. Others, like myself, will differ with you.

1 hour ago, mtnesterz said:

Now that I read this post, I find we are on the same page and re-read your other post more as I'm sure you intended it to be read.

I do try to adhere to the spirit of the recommended dress.  I just don't get bothered by what others wear.   To be honest, most of the time I probably don't even notice.  I'll admit I don't understand why some let themselves be influenced negatively by what others wear.   

• Like 1

10 hours ago, lx200gps said:

We always fly literally within a pound or two of our airline's max baggage limit, and the added weight of one of my suits, as well as SWMBO's dresses and shoes, would cost a lot more money in excess baggage fees. So unless we are driving to the port, not so easy to do around here, the formal wear, sadly, stays home.

A pound or two breather would be a luxury.   I'm usually within ounces.  I prefer to weigh in kg's because I get an extra few ounces due to the conversion!  Hahah.  

11 hours ago, Esprit said:

My comment above is partially tongue-in-cheek, but in reality, I would be more inclined to take more formal clothes if it were not for the weight limit. I hit the weight limit before I run out of space in our big luggage.  So, no lame excuse, "period!", for me.   

• Like 1

On 6/26/2022 at 5:43 PM, ldubs said:

I do try to adhere to the spirit of the recommended dress.  I just don't get bothered by what others wear.   To be honest, most of the time I probably don't even notice.  I'll admit I don't understand why some let themselves be influenced negatively by what others wear.   

I'm like you. I don't worry about what everyone is wearing, and don't even notice. That is NOT the reason I am dining there. If what someone else wears ruins a person's dinner, then they have some serious issues they need to see a therapist about. 

Edited by sloopsailor
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Ombud said:

Just an FYI, Discovery Princess has an added clarification onboard. It says: Formal. No shorts. 

Things are looking up, at least for the Discovery after all. 😉