Class based on cabin

5waldos

@5waldos, I know you were asking tongue-in-cheek, but the truth is that you likely will see very little in the way of special treatment among the suite guests.  As best as I can recall, you may see:

- Suite guests checking in separately and, perhaps, having a lounge to await boarding

- Suite guests being led out for excursions

- The reserved area for shows

- The exclusive areas--Retreat Lounge or Michael's (depending on what ship you are on), the Retreat Sundeck (if on your ship), and Luminae dining room

- Folks gathering around the theatre door for a helipad sailaway

- Butlers doing butlery stuff

You also will see some folks with "silver" cards (in quotes because it's more like high-carbon steel) that say "SuiteGuest" on them.  And, yes, you will see some folks waving them around like it's their ticket to salvation and going on and on about their suite.  It happens, and they really don't get their martinis at the Martini Bar any faster.

In other words, it'll make no real difference.

Have fun!

• Haha 1

Before one cruise awhile ago, we were on a roll call that was very active and inclusive to all participants. As more info got exchanged (including a roster with cabin #s), several of us noticed that people in suites started only responding to each others' posts. We talked about it at the meet and greet when we saw the same people huddled away from the mingling group.

It was strange--and not duplicated on any of our other 3 cruises where everyone was friendly.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, mayleeman said:

Before one cruise awhile ago, we were on a roll call that was very active and inclusive to all participants. As more info got exchanged (including a roster with cabin #s), several of us noticed that people in suites started only responding to each others' posts. We talked about it at the meet and greet when we saw the same people huddled away from the mingling group.

It was strange--and not duplicated on any of our other 3 cruises where everyone was friendly.

I’m booked in a sky suite and I don’t do this on my upcoming roll call but I get it. 
If you’re in a suite and intend to spend your days on the retreat deck and your meals in Luminae you may want to try to focus your efforts on on making friends who will be in the spaces you will also be in. 

55 minutes ago, mfs2k said:

I’m booked in a sky suite and I don’t do this on my upcoming roll call but I get it. 
If you’re in a suite and intend to spend your days on the retreat deck and your meals in Luminae you may want to try to focus your efforts on on making friends who will be in the spaces you will also be in. 

It's rude.  people who wish to mingle like that should do so at another time which they agree to meet up. Also, no excuse whatsoever to do this on the roll call forum.  There are some posters here who make it a point, in every single post, that they only book suites. And, in some cases, not just any suite but just the penthouse.  In fact, a few seem to have some sort of disdain for the "lesser" or newer suites (Celebrity suite & Aqua suite).  Usually that's followed by some definitive statements regarding their superior knowledge of Celebrity. 

This is not the norm by any means.  Most people don't care. You pay for what you get, and it all depends upon what's important to you. 

• Like 3

You pay for your cabin (your money, your choice) and get the stated benefits you paid for.  Honestly this has not much to do with class.  Just a simple buying choice.  Why feel bad in any way if others are getting enhanced benefits that they chose to pay for?

4 hours ago, DCPIV said:

@5waldos, I know you were asking tongue-in-cheek, but the truth is that you likely will see very little in the way of special treatment among the suite guests.  As best as I can recall, you may see:

- Suite guests checking in separately and, perhaps, having a lounge to await boarding

Have fun!

Others also occasionally go onto the helipad for sail-in or sail-away. Have done that many times. Sometimes the invitations are because the guests are in Concierge, sometimes because they are Elite or Elite+

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Guppy99 said:

It's rude.  people who wish to mingle like that should do so at another time which they agree to meet up. Also, no excuse whatsoever to do this on the roll call forum.  There are some posters here who make it a point, in every single post, that they only book suites. And, in some cases, not just any suite but just the penthouse.  In fact, a few seem to have some sort of disdain for the "lesser" or newer suites (Celebrity suite & Aqua suite).  Usually that's followed by some definitive statements regarding their superior knowledge of Celebrity. 

This is not the norm by any means.  Most people don't care. You pay for what you get, and it all depends upon what's important to you. 

Block them. Problem solved. Why keep looking at posts from people who annoy you so much ?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

You pay for your cabin (your money, your choice) and get the stated benefits you paid for.  Honestly this has not much to do with class.  Just a simple buying choice.  Why feel bad in any way if others are getting enhanced benefits that they chose to pay for?

To be serious for just a moment- the issue of class really doesn't have a lot to do with the benefits you buy but rather how you are treated. Both by other guests and by staff. The issue of seating in the theater, for example, comes close and apparently did cause problems. The "Oh Mr and Mrs Suite- let us seat you first and those of you who have been waiting patiently in line- well, you aren't as special."

I am not saying that this happens. Just wonndering. 

15 minutes ago, GottaKnowWhen said:

Others also occasionally go onto the helipad for sail-in or sail-away. Have done that many times. Sometimes the invitations are because the guests are in Concierge, sometimes because they are Elite or Elite+

Yes, I am aware.

5 minutes ago, 5waldos said:

The "Oh Mr and Mrs Suite- let us seat you first and those of you who have been waiting patiently in line- well, you aren't as special."

Well, that happens all over the place all the time, including airplane flights and Disney World. It's a privilege paid for.  Everyone lives.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mayleeman said:

That can be quite off-putting on a roll call. Now if cabin categories are requested on a roll call for the purpose of a “crawl” so that all categories can be visited, that is a different story!

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, 5waldos said:

The "Oh Mr and Mrs Suite- let us seat you first and those of you who have been waiting patiently in line- well, you aren't as special."

You mean like those in the "Group 1" block at the airport who bought first class tickets?  The world isn't an egalitarian paradise no matter how many people think it ought to be.  Time to adjust.

• Haha 1

On 6/29/2022 at 12:28 PM, 5waldos said:

Have not sailed on Celebrity before and looking forward to our Alaska cruise in late July. But am a bit concerned about seems like quite a focus on what cabin class one has booked. Special places onboard, special treats, special this and that and the other thing. I do understand that there is a rather huge difference in the price paid for different levels of cabins but I am not entirely comfortable with what seems like a real classist experience. Is this something that we will experience onboard? In line waiting for something will "upper suite" passengers be pushed to the head of the line, for example? My recent sailing history has been on the luxury lines where cabin choice didn't really make much of an impact on the onboard experience- and I worry that it might on Celebrity. 

Am I going to feel like a second class passenger? Or am I just reading too many posts which highlight these differences?

Yep, it sure seems that way around here sometimes. Reading about Celebrity on this board is like going to the "Eiffel Tower" in Vegas when it is filled with actual Parisians. The attitude can be a bit nasty and it has some resemblance to the real thing but that's about it.  😉

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Treat others with respect and it will yield large dividends. You can purchase perks, but the perks don't include class. I once met a man at the Captain's Table (when they had Captain's Tables) who was in the Penthouse. He was one of the most "classless" people I've ever met. I had a gathering in my simple veranda for the people who I met at the table. Everyone, including the Captain said that they would not attend if the man was invited. Crew are often thought of as "just the help". Treat them with respect and they will respond by treatingt you like royalty.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Orator said:

Crew are often thought of as "just the help". Treat them with respect and they will respond by treatingt you like royalty.

I say treat them with respect even if you don't feel treated like 'royalty'.  What incredibly ball-busting jobs some of these folks perform for months on end.  I surely couldn't keep up.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 6

5 hours ago, DCPIV said:

- Suite guests being led out for excursions

- The reserved area for shows

- The exclusive areas--Retreat Lounge or Michael's (depending on what ship you are on), the Retreat Sundeck (if on your ship), and Luminae dining room

- Butlers doing butlery stuff

You also will see some folks with "silver" cards (in quotes because it's more like high-carbon steel) that say "SuiteGuest" on them.  And, yes, you will see some folks waving them around like it's their ticket to salvation and going on and on about their suite.  It happens, and they really don't get their martinis at the Martini Bar any faster.

Have fun!

Don’t recall reserved seats for shows, at least not all shows , rccl used to have reserved seats .

1 hour ago, mfs2k said:

Block them. Problem solved. Why keep looking at posts from people who annoy you so much ?

I'm simply stating what I have observed. No need for you to assume how I feel about it or telling me what to do about that incorrect assumption. I think perhaps you just don't like the identifying yourself as one of the people being described.

I find that the more people can truly afford, the less likely they are to gravitate to "status" symbols for their own sake.  Further, in general they really don't care to be singled out for special treatment, and will often go the extra mile to make sure everyone is treated well. That is "class" and being "classy".   

• Like 3

I've been in a "regular" balcony on celebrity and never felt like a 2nd class citizen by other passengers or any of the crew. The service you get is amazing, regardless of what "class" you're in. The different classes, Conciege or Aqua is strictly for whatever  benefits they deem important, not because they will be treated better. I'm not referring to suites, which is an entirely different subject.

Thing is, we have found in the recent past that cruising in Celebrity suites gives us a better experience, for less cost, than luxe lines. Of course it costs more than a “standard” Celebrity cruise. But compared to the cost of a “luxe” cruise, it has been well worth the money. In the future, IDK. It al, depends on what one wants and can afford. When we first started cruising we booked inside rooms on crappy lines. If that is the price structure you need, Celebrity is much better than we got then. And when in suites, we frequented the Martini bar, and never asked the people next to us what class of cabin they had. We never cared. And never will, 

‘’We are not booking cruises now for several reasons. One is the continuation of the Covid problem and another  big one is the unreliability of air to the cruise.  When these problems are over, we need to do the math again to determine if Celebrity suites are still the best deal for what we want in a cruise now. I hope they will be, because Celebrity seems to continue to offer the best budget cruises, and we remember that was all we could afford.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, 5waldos said:

To be serious for just a moment- the issue of class really doesn't have a lot to do with the benefits you buy but rather how you are treated. Both by other guests and by staff. The issue of seating in the theater, for example, comes close and apparently did cause problems. The "Oh Mr and Mrs Suite- let us seat you first and those of you who have been waiting patiently in line- well, you aren't as special."

I am not saying that this happens. Just wonndering. 

The theater seating, since you brought that up, is only 3 rows in the balcony, admittedly center balcony, on the evening chic nights. These rows open up for general seating 5 or 10 minutes before the show starts.  Otherwise theater seating is first come, first seated in the seat of your choice.  There is rarely a line waiting for a seat or waiting to be seated.  We all choose how to spend the money we have in the time we have left.  If we choose to book suites, so be it. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I've been in concierge, Aqua and sky suites.  Once in a Celebrity suite, because I needed some extra points and there was a significant price drop after final payment.

All I got from the X suite was a call from the Shoreside Concierge. I had to request since apparently they called my mom's number instead (?????)

I've had great experiences in all.  We do like the club and Luminae, so usually we book suites, but in 8 days we leave for the Eclipse in a Concierge balcony.  It's a rebook because of Covid, and we couldn't keep the great price we had for Aqua on the original cruise, so we went concierge, but mostly because the price was close to that of a regular balcony and thanks to Power UP I'll be elite + on this cruise.

We've used the Chic night show seating, but usually end up moving because we don't really like the seats.  In our post covid cruises we try to be away from others.

12 hours ago, Dolebludger said:

hing is, we have found in the recent past that cruising in Celebrity suites gives us a better experience, for less cost, than luxe lines. Of course it costs more than a “standard” Celebrity cruise. But compared to the cost of a “luxe” cruise, it has been well worth the money. In the future, IDK. It al, depends on what one wants and can afford. When we first started cruising we booked inside rooms on crappy lines. If that is the price structure you need, Celebrity is much better than we got then. And when in suites, we frequented the Martini bar, and never asked the people next to us what class of cabin they had. We never cared. And never will, 

That is our experience too. Before we retired, we never stayed in a Suite on a cruise but once on NCL Haven, big mistake, never flew business or first class and never stayed in 4 or 5 star hotels. We saved and invested wisely all our younger lives so that when we retired we could travel how and when we pleased and live our lives in a comfort. We booked our first Celebrity Suite last year on the Equinox and fell in love with the Retreat Product.  We came home and canceled cruises with Oceania and Viking Ocean to rebook on the Celebrity Reflection and Apex in Sky Suites and saved a enough to book the Edge in 2024 B2B. The Retreat is what is has kept us with them and off the more premium and luxury lines. We also now only fly first or business class because we like the extra service. We do all of this because we can, not to be any better than anyone else on the cruise with us.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2