walking chair

My wife just recently fell & she is using a cane right now, we were wondering if we can get a walker with a seat from RCL?? We will be on the HARMONY FROM JULY 3RD TO  July 17th. Who do we conntact?? 

THANK YOU

george35

You can rent from a third party.   Maybe cheaper to buy your own rollator (I think this is what they called).   Or try scootaround.com.  they want 48 hr notice so do soon.

Amazon selling midline rollator for $71 with delivery by Friday if prime member, free shipping.

I hope your wife heals fully and soon.

Edited by Sunshine3601
  • Like 2

My husband has spinal stenosis, so walking is very painful for him.  He bought a nice rollator (from Amazon) to take with him on our two April cruises, the first was the Celebrity Apex.  He found it moved too fast for him (even with the brakes on continuously), since he can't walk at a normal pace.  He ditched it for the following cruise (Harmoney of the Seas) and used his cane.  He's been in a lot of pain since he's been home.  In fact, a scooter (from Special Needs at Sea) has been rented for our cruise next month on Oasis.

My advice is for your wife to practice, practice, practice!  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

If your wife is using a cane then maybe a walker wouldn't be enough support for her.  You might talk with her MD and see what he recommends.  We rent mobility scooters from Scootaround or special needs at sea.  You can compare prices and the service is the same. In Port Canaveral you pick up the mobility scooter outside the terminal.  Very convenient. 

I have had to use a rollator for a few years now as a portable chair when needed. The one I use now is quite sturdy which replaced a more flimsy version. I primarily use it when cruising since I never know where seating is immediately available. Google: Drive Medical RTL10266 Nitro Euro-Style 4-Wheel Rollator Walker With Seat, Red

If you want to rent a scooter, go to your local Walmart or food store and try one of those. This way you're able to judge if you can handle it. Keep in mind that rentals are a little smaller and easier to handle.

• 3 weeks later...

The Scooter, rented directly from Royal -- Special Needs at Sea, was great!  Easy to manuever around and hubby learned to even back it into the cabin at night (our cabin was in a direct path to the elevator and had the sofa by the closet) for easy charging.  He was even able to take if off the ship in Coco Cay (our only day off the ship), use it on the HC tram around the island.  We got off at the paved path to the Oasis Lagoon zero-entry end, left it nearby to enjoy the pool.  We even found the paved area in the lunch buffet area.  I got the food for us -- used to that!  He drove it back to the ship, while i walked.  It made for a great cruise (albeit we both caught Covid by our last day).

• Like 2

On 6/29/2022 at 3:12 PM, torpeedo said:

If your wife is using a cane then maybe a walker wouldn't be enough support for her.  You might talk with her MD and see what he recommends.  We rent mobility scooters from Scootaround or special needs at sea.  You can compare prices and the service is the same. In Port Canaveral you pick up the mobility scooter outside the terminal.  Very convenient. 

Please tell me more about picking up the scooter outside the terminal at Port Canaveral.  I am having hip replacement following our cruise and can't walk long distances.  I thought the scooter would be in your stateroom.  Picking it up outside of the terminal would be great! Saves time in waiting for wheelchair assist at the port.   

35 minutes ago, RoperDK said:

Please tell me more about picking up the scooter outside the terminal at Port Canaveral.  I am having hip replacement following our cruise and can't walk long distances.  I thought the scooter would be in your stateroom.  Picking it up outside of the terminal would be great! Saves time in waiting for wheelchair assist at the port.   

It is really easy.  When you reserve your scooter via their internet site you will receive your information and receipt.  Either Scootaround or Special Needs at sea, will send you a text or call the night before asking you when you will arrive and how you will arrive.  They may again email, text, or call you the morning of departure.  They will try to take the scooter to your mode of transportation when you are arriving at the port if you want them to.  Otherwise you will find them to the right of the terminal entrance.  Both of them have their scooters at the same place.  They will show you how to use it if you need instructions.  Then off you go into the terminal and the staff there will guide you to where you will do your x-rays of your carry on's etc.  Then there's an elevator that takes you up to the next level where you check in...again!   They are very good at directing you .  

We used Special Needs at Sea last time because they were much cheaper.  They include the insurance in the cost which I believe was $225.  We use the 3 wheel transportable scooter.  Go slow!  If you have a handicapped cabin that would be great or a JS or above is also good because you can get the scooter inside easily.  Always take your keys with you and put something in your basket that's notable.  That's so somebody doesn't take your scooter by mistake at dinner or elsewhere.  The keys fit all the scooters sooo. Oops can happen,
IF YOU ARE ON THE MARINER..it's a different terminal, terminal 5.  Basically the same instructions apply to that and the vendors know that the Mariner is at a different terminal.

12 minutes ago, torpeedo said:

It is really easy.  When you reserve your scooter via their internet site you will receive your information and receipt.  Either Scootaround or Special Needs at sea, will send you a text or call the night before asking you when you will arrive and how you will arrive.  They may again email, text, or call you the morning of departure.  They will try to take the scooter to your mode of transportation when you are arriving at the port if you want them to.  Otherwise you will find them to the right of the terminal entrance.  Both of them have their scooters at the same place.  They will show you how to use it if you need instructions.  Then off you go into the terminal and the staff there will guide you to where you will do your x-rays of your carry on's etc.  Then there's an elevator that takes you up to the next level where you check in...again!   They are very good at directing you .  

We used Special Needs at Sea last time because they were much cheaper.  They include the insurance in the cost which I believe was $225.  We use the 3 wheel transportable scooter.  Go slow!  If you have a handicapped cabin that would be great or a JS or above is also good because you can get the scooter inside easily.  Always take your keys with you and put something in your basket that's notable.  That's so somebody doesn't take your scooter by mistake at dinner or elsewhere.  The keys fit all the scooters sooo. Oops can happen,
IF YOU ARE ON THE MARINER..it's a different terminal, terminal 5.  Basically the same instructions apply to that and the vendors know that the Mariner is at a different terminal.

Thanks so much!  We will be on the Harmony in a Grand Suite.  I only need their smallest scooter.  I read that it will fit in the regular size door.  How do you get through the cabin door by yourself?  I can get out of the scooter and open the door, but it closes automatically.  Also, as a new "driver" any hints on navigating the bridge walkway to get on the ship?    

3 hours ago, RoperDK said:

Thanks so much!  We will be on the Harmony in a Grand Suite.  I only need their smallest scooter.  I read that it will fit in the regular size door.  How do you get through the cabin door by yourself?  I can get out of the scooter and open the door, but it closes automatically.  Also, as a new "driver" any hints on navigating the bridge walkway to get on the ship?    

Harmony in a GS is fine.  Very easy to get into the door.  It opens out so I hold it out when husband drives into the cabin.  We usually have the GS and park ours next to the couch, closer to the kind of counter where you have all your waters and stuff they deliver.  It's a little area where you can plug it into the outlet by the lighted shelves with glasses and stuff.  The best advice I can give you is to take is slow rounding the corners.  We usually have cabin 8660, close to the aft elevators.  We can easily get the elevator up to deck 17 for the CK and the Suite Lounge.  They're very very helpful there. Given you are able to walk somewhat, you can leave the mobility scooter outside the Sl Or CK door and walk in.  OR you can take it inside to your table and the staff can drive it out.  We usually leave it at the door or very close to the door inside the SL or CK. Don't forget your keys!!:LOL!

• Thanks 1

I see that Amazon has these things as low as $65.  Obviously, I haven't seen it, so I can't speak to the quality. 

If I were in your shoes, I'd consider having one mailed to my night-before cruise hotel, and you'd have it to use during boarding.  Even if you discard it after the cruise, surely it'd be worth $65.

2 hours ago, Mum2Mercury said:

I see that Amazon has these things as low as $65.  Obviously, I haven't seen it, so I can't speak to the quality. 

If I were in your shoes, I'd consider having one mailed to my night-before cruise hotel, and you'd have it to use during boarding.  Even if you discard it after the cruise, surely it'd be worth $65.

Given that the OP has already completed their cruise and reported back about their experience renting a scooter.... 

• 3 months later...

My travel agent called Special Needs at Sea and confirmed that for our particular cruise (Wonder of the Seas, April 2023), scooters will still be delivered to the cabin. Even tho my husband will have his walker with him (he still hates the rollator), he’ll have wheelchair transport on and off the ship. 

Those ramps can be steep and long!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, joand452 said:

(he still hates the rollator),

Aren't those the ones with the seat? Just out of curiosity, what doesn't he like about them? 

I'm not near there yet, but I think I will be eventually with my hip replacements. His opinion and information would be appreciated. ☺️

13 hours ago, Coralc said:

Aren't those the ones with the seat? Just out of curiosity, what doesn't he like about them? 

I'm not near there yet, but I think I will be eventually with my hip replacements. His opinion and information would be appreciated. ☺️

Yes, he bought a nice rollator (it also has a zipper bag under the seat for storage) from Amazon. He found the marble floors on Celebrity Apex to be too slippery and slick for him. The rollator, even with the brakes on, moved faster than he could. He does better with his regular walker. 

He even used it at a local park, on gravel paths, hoping scuffing the wheels would help, but he still didn’t care for it. You’ll probably be fine as long as you can still move at a regular pace, just need some extra support. 

• Thanks 1

I'd really encourage anyone with mobility issues to consider buying rather than renting when it comes to scooters.  There are a variety of price points and features and some types are highly portable now. It makes sense to buy if you are a frequent cruiser or aren't able to last long on day trips and would like to go places.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, joand452 said:

Yes, he bought a nice rollator (it also has a zipper bag under the seat for storage) from Amazon. He found the marble floors on Celebrity Apex to be too slippery and slick for him. The rollator, even with the brakes on, moved faster than he could. He does better with his regular walker. 

He even used it at a local park, on gravel paths, hoping scuffing the wheels would help, but he still didn’t care for it. You’ll probably be fine as long as you can still move at a regular pace, just need some extra support. 

He can control the speed with the hand brakes.