Best food & drink on HAL

astar12

5 minutes ago, astar12 said:

What has been the best food and drink you've had on on any Holland America ship?

To answer your 1st message on CC: everything I ate at any of the HAL ships I sailed.   

• Like 3
  • Haha 5

16 minutes ago, fsdj1097 said:

We love the food in the Tamarind restaurant.  The Grand Dutch Cafe has great specialty coffees and their draft beers are really good.  

I agree!  Only problem is that only about half the HAL ships have the Tamarind and only the three Pinnacle class ones have the Grand Dutch Cafe.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, DaveOKC said:

I agree!  Only problem is that only about half the HAL ships have the Tamarind and only the three Pinnacle class ones have the Grand Dutch Cafe.

Truth.  That's why I'm sticking to the Pinnacle class...nice and shiny and new.  Except for the ports of call; sometimes we like to mix it up. But, those mentioned above are fabulous.

1 hour ago, albingirl said:

Truth.  That's why I'm sticking to the Pinnacle class...nice and shiny and new.  Except for the ports of call; sometimes we like to mix it up. But, those mentioned above are fabulous.

I always thought that I liked the smaller ships better....i.e. Zaandam, Amsterdam, etc..  Now that we've sailed the Pinnacle Koningsdam for our first two cruises, post-COVID, the expanded specialty restaurants, stand alone Club Orange, and the overall layout of these ships has changed my mind.  Does HAL have plans to integrate these features in their VISTA, or Signature Class ships?

Had wienerschnitzel on the Eurodam in the MDR.  It was delicious but enough for two!  Also, Lido fresh-made crepes with Nutella and powdered sugar for breakfast, or the strawberry-filled crepes with sour cream.  Not big on drinks, but I do enjoy a nice glass or two or three of ice water anytime of day.

A favorite food is Bitterballen.  Difficult to obtain anymore.

Best food?  I can't identify just one, but, the Creamed Chicken that was served during the Royal Dutch Tea was the best of that item that I have eaten.  Not surprisingly, HAL's chefs prepare excellent Indonesian entrees.  Nasi Goring being a favorite of mine.  Must not forget Dutch Pea Soup!    

Best drink?  A cold mug of Heineken.  

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

A favorite food is Bitterballen.  Difficult to obtain anymore.

Best food?  I can't identify just one, but, the Creamed Chicken that was served during the Royal Dutch Tea was the best of that item that I have eaten.  Not surprisingly, HAL's chefs prepare excellent Indonesian entrees.  Nasi Goring being a favorite of mine.  Must not forget Dutch Pea Soup!    

Best drink?  A cold mug of Heineken.  

Years ago when I was on the Veendam, we were cruising through Prince Christian Sound.   I think I was on the Crows Nest deck. The crew came around and served

the Dutch Pea Soup. It was the best pea soup I have ever had!

• Like 2

We adore Tamarind. I wish they could find a way to incorporate it into the whole fleet in their upcoming referbs. We love the Pinnacle (we go every cruise) and it is a great place to get a steak and get fantastic service but Tamarind is just special.. service, food, and ambiance. It's kind of a dining event. 

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Euby said:

My favorite drink to get is the Frosty Chocolate Mint Buzz.  Think alcoholic chocolate mint shake.  YUM!

image.png.d74d5aedd3a1c5a8ff1c9a3b61fcde97.png

Can you have the chocolate mint mix without the alcohol? 

19 hours ago, SeeSun&Sea said:

The Dutch Pea Soup is greatly improved by adding 5-20% sambal ... sambal oelek, of course.

[🦆 and cover]

I think I prefer mine "straight".  But, I have never tried it with sambal.