Does one HAVE to use the Medallion?

Zoey

25 minutes ago, leck57 said:

Yes, I was thinking that as well. A little stretching of the truth with that story.

To be honest, the story was so badly written, with no paragraphs,  that I lost the will to live.

Anyone care to boil it down  to two sentences ?

• Like 1

I booked our fall cruise early this year.  How do I find out if I ordered the Medallion for our cruise?  I can’t remember!  Our current arrival status is a Green Lane.   John

15 minutes ago, John99 said:

I booked our fall cruise early this year.  How do I find out if I ordered the Medallion for our cruise?  I can’t remember!  Our current arrival status is a Green Lane.   John

If you look at the Medallion App you can see if it’s been ordered. 

You will find it here. 

If you’re still not sure I would use the chat feature & ask. 

You can always get one at the pier. 

Tom😀

image.png

17 hours ago, MissP22 said:

You aunt & cousin must be real slooooow walkers. LOL 😁😁

We've used the medallions on numerous cruises and have yet to find one problem with them on the ship. Every feature they claim works like a charm. 

17 hours ago, leck57 said:

Yes, I was thinking that as well. A little stretching of the truth with that story.

Someone stretching the truth on Cruise Critic????? Inconceivable!!!!! 🙄😂

• Haha 3

34 minutes ago, Doug R. said:

Someone stretching the truth on Cruise Critic????? Inconceivable!!!!! 🙄😂

All I know is that if the story is even partially true, I want a Medallion similar to that one. Our would only work from 3 cabins away last cruise.

20 hours ago, YWW said:

Tom, we are so fed up with the Medallion Class app numerous issues that after our next two Princess cruises in August and September, we'll say goodbye to Princess despite the fact that we are Elite members. We take cruises to relax and to be away from stress and this Medallion Class app definitely is not what we want on a cruise. We first encountered problems with the Dine My Way feature in the MC app when we made dinner reservations at the desired time with private table at one of the main dining rooms. It asked "Reserve for the same time each day?" and we naively said yes. We thought that was easy and hassle free since it gave us a confirmation. Unfortunately that confirmation was a lie and we found out a week later no dinner reservations were made each day of our voyage except just the second day of the cruise. We called Princess customer service and talked to an expert on Dine My Way and he admitted there were issues with this app and one of them was the lack of warning to let the customers know only certain days were available. To make a long story short, the rep had to do it manually to reserve each day for us. If you have used the app to book your dinner reservation, double check it on your daily calendar to make sure your reservation is there.

Another "convenience" feature of this Medallion is to unlock your cabin door when you are 6 or 7 cabins away. My cousin and her aunt just came back from a Princess cruise and they were totally freaked out with this feature. Their cabin door was unlocked when they were walking towards to their cabin still a bit of distance away and one guest who apparently had a bit too much to drink was walking towards them in the hallway. When he heard my cousin's cabin door unlocked, he thought he had reached his own cabin and went right in. When they finally went in to their cabin, this guest had vomited over the floor and bed and passed out on the bed. My cousin had to call security to have him removed. She asked security whether there was a way to make the Medallion less sensitive and security said no. In their case they were so disgusted with this incident and it was very fortunate that it was not deliberate that Princess upgraded them to a mini suite plus they got room key card instead. Bottom line is this type of technology is too new and we are the guinea pigs. Another feature of this app that's not working is the "Arrival Group" where you get to choose your preferred arrival time. It works on and off but more frequently off. We don't need this type of technology to add complications to our lives.

And when in the past, I questioned whether someone could enter your cabin because of this wonderful feature that everyone touts, I was told that someone would really have to be planning on this to do this.

9 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

And when in the past, I questioned whether someone could enter your cabin because of this wonderful feature that everyone touts, I was told that someone would really have to be planning on this to do this.

Or fabricating a story.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ontheweb said:

So, anytime anyone posts something you do not like, it must be a fabricated story?

When it's a story like that one, it most definitely is fabricated. 

Although entertaining. 😅

19 hours ago, MissP22 said:

You aunt & cousin must be real slooooow walkers. LOL 😁😁

We've used the medallions on numerous cruises and have yet to find one problem with them on the ship. Every feature they claim works like a charm. 

You are right my cousin's aunt is a slow walker who requires a walking cane due to an injury she sustained while she was serving this country as a nurse in the Iraq conflict.

6 minutes ago, YWW said:

You are right my cousin's aunt is a slow walker who requires a walking cane due to an injury she sustained while she was serving this country as a nurse in the Iraq conflict.

Oh, that explains it all. 

She should be using a scooter and she could have beat the drunk to the door. 

19 hours ago, wowzz said:

To be honest, the story was so badly written, with no paragraphs,  that I lost the will to live.

Condolences to your family.

Good luck in the after-life, if that is something you believe in.

Edited by Roberto256
  • Haha 1

On 7/7/2022 at 3:20 PM, Zoey said:

Don't yell at me....I have read through this forum and the Princess Medallion Class FAQ on the Princess website and I'm still not quite understanding the process. I have a very stressful job which requires all day communications with lots of clients every day. I cruise to escape all communications and electronics. In fact, the first thing I do on a cruise ship is turn my iphone off and lock it in the safe until the night before disembarking when I charge it in the event of problems traveling back home. And I don't take a laptop or my ipad.

My questions are 1) do you HAVE to use a cell phone for the Medallion stuff? and 2) if not, the surface of the medallion looks so small how do you even enter information onto it? 

I'm getting ready to book a cruise for October or November and I have three options - Princess, Azamara or Celebrity. IF using the Medallion and/or cell phone is an absolute requirement, I am going to eliminate  Princess from the list. 

Thanks in advance for your help! 

I haven't read the rest of the thread so excuse me. In relation to your question after a 14 day cruise on the Enchanted, disembarking last Friday I would say NO just pretend it doesn't exist as most passengers seemingly did.  

The pre boarding nonsense is just that (we were green- so was the rest of the ship apparently)

You will actually be at a disadvantage as non users ordering drinks at the bar were given priority over the app (We tested this on numerous occasions at numerous bars - same result)....with the app you usually ended up sat waiting for a confused waiter wondering around like a lost soul. 

In the MDR's, turn ups queued on the right and got straight in. Those who'd booked the 'artificial' times, well they forced you into queues like lemons. 

Room service was a farce. Obviously its nice to peruse 'stuff' on the app but we ended up popping to bars for a cabin drink as it rarely arrived. 

Our bill on the app had zero semblance to our onboard spend it was just a mess.

For us it was nice way to peruse cocktails on the drinks package - then order at the bar. The damned thing has no idea of your previous orders as most of the hand held machines didn't work ...they were all writing down room numbers.

Edited by doog442

On 7/7/2022 at 8:20 PM, Mike45LC said:

Relax and have a great cruise!  

Just think of the Medallion as your cruise card in prior years, if you were familiar with that.   No cell phone needed, and the pre-cruise registration can be done pier-side.   

And don't worry about Princess tracking you on board.  Unless someone is having an affair and is spending lots of time in places he/she shouldn't be going!!  When my wife was able to track me ... -- well, let's forget that!!!  I wish my wife would!!!  Just joking.  

Thank you

15 minutes ago, Cali Viajera said:

Last month we just used the medallion to open our state room door. We ordered room service from the tv. We read all the horror stories about how it was so frustrating that we didn’t try it for anything else.

I think you are confusing the Medallion with the app.

I assume you ordered drinks with the Medallion, used the Medallion when you went in the MDR etc?

The Medallion works perfectly,  the app is problematic 

8 hours ago, Billish said:

I think you are confusing the Medallion with the app.

I assume you ordered drinks with the Medallion, used the Medallion when you went in the MDR etc?

The Medallion works perfectly,  the app is problematic 

I believe lots of people confuse this terminology when posting. 

Fortunately, the medallion works perfectly as you say, once on the ships.

• 2 weeks later...

We put our medallions in RFID key wallets so cannot be tracked around the ship.  Last time we did this pre covid our room steward asked us if we were okay to which we asked why and he said because we had been in our room all day.  So we answered truthfully and told him key goes into wallet so we can’t be tracked.

4 hours ago, JAF1 said:

We put our medallions in RFID key wallets so cannot be tracked around the ship.  Last time we did this pre covid our room steward asked us if we were okay to which we asked why and he said because we had been in our room all day.  So we answered truthfully and told him key goes into wallet so we can’t be tracked.

If you left it in the safe, would they think you were not only in your room, but locked up in an extremely small space?

4 hours ago, JAF1 said:

So, you made your steward's life more difficult,  so that Princess  could, if they wanted to (unlikely) see where you were ! 

Unbelievable! 

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, JAF1 said:

Most of the time they don't give s hoot where you are located all day long.

The only time they want to track your previous locations is if there was a major Covid breakout and they wanted to id the people you came in contact with.