Explora not doing it for this Yacht Club cruiser.

Nashna

15 hours ago, Oxo said:

Since we have no interest in feeling like steerage passengers,

OMG, WUP?

TOO GOOD FOR OTHERS?

We had a woman in top sail lounge who kept using the term "Gen pop". Took me a minute to figure out she was referring to general population in a prison.

Was upset because to go ashore there was no separate exit for YC. 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, mscdivina2016 said:

Has your key card ever expressed you up to YC.  I have tried many times on multiple ships and it never worked.

Yes, it worked for me.  I watched how a butler did it and then I just did what he did.  I understand the Seashore (that we're booked on for Oct.) has a different set up for the elevators.

7 hours ago, SirWolf said:

Comparing MSC Seascape and MSC Explora 1

• Caribbean

• December 2023

• Miami to Miami

-> 7-Nights: Seascape YC $5,238 ($748/night)

Gratuities NOT included

Wi-Fi NOT included

Suite 269 sqft

-> 9-Nights: Explora 1 $7,000 ($778/night)

Gratuities included

Wi-Fi included

Suite 301 sqft

.. seriously considering to book Explora ..

Wi-Fi is included in the YC

11 hours ago, Hlitner said:

Hear hear!  We have been cruising since the mid 70s and have been blessed to have been on 16 cruise lines (and more than 65 different ships).  I am still amazed at all the "one trick ponies" who have this "loyalty thing" to a single cruise line.  We have so much fun trying different lines, itineraries, ships, and even cabin categories.  Perhaps that is why after far more than 100 cruises (all over the world) each cruise is still an adventure :).  While it is all so familiar it never gets old.  I still remember having cocktails with a delightful couple on Celebrity who told us they were "bored with cruising" and were looking at other options.  When I asked them how many lines, they had tried they seemed shocked and said all their cruises had been on Celebrity!  We were recently on a longish Seabourn cruise and some onboard friends asked us about our next cruise.  When we said, MSC, they were completely shocked.  Most of the folks we meet on Seabourn only cruise Seabourn and perhaps Silverseas and Regent.  But going on MSC is seen as a huge downward step.

DW and have really enjoyed the YC and look forward to our upcoming Seashore cruise (in the YC).  While we have not found the cuisine as good as we get on other lines we think that the YC is am amazing value.  Will Explora turn out to be an "amazing value?"  I have no idea.  But the fact that the Aponte family is committed to the concept of a luxury line gives me a good reason to be optimistic.

Hank

Thank you for this post!  We too like to try different lines and are trying MSC for the first time in October but not in YC.  I should have booked much earlier to try for interior YC!   If there is anything specific we need to know about MSC please let me know.  We have sailed on at least 6 other lines but not the all inclusive ones yet! We would love to cruise Seabourn someday!  I don't really care what people think or say about what cruise line(s) we have or haven't sailed on and you seem to have the same opinion.  Thankfully I got a status match on MSC and got bumped to gold...haha   

2 minutes ago, awhcruiser said:

Thank you for this post!  We too like to try different lines and are trying MSC for the first time in October but not in YC.  I should have booked much earlier to try for interior YC!   If there is anything specific we need to know about MSC please let me know.  We have sailed on at least 6 other lines but not the all inclusive ones yet! We would love to cruise Seabourn someday!  I don't really care what people think or say about what cruise line(s) we have or haven't sailed on and you seem to have the same opinion.  Thankfully I got a status match on MSC and got bumped to gold...haha   

My only MSC advice is that if you get the opportunity to upsell to the Yacht Club...do it.  

Hank

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, mafig said:

Yes, it worked for me.  I watched how a butler did it and then I just did what he did.  I understand the Seashore (that we're booked on for Oct.) has a different set up for the elevators.

What did he do?  I put it under the scanner and nothing.

Tried on Mera, Seashore and Seaview.

1 minute ago, mscdivina2016 said:

Sorry, this was pre-pandemic and I don't recall anymore.  

54 minutes ago, mscdivina2016 said:

I don't think Meraviglia had that feature.  Seashore does not have it or use it.  As you know it is using a program that matches floor selection for riders and assigns you one of the four cars to get on.  No buttons for floor selection. It should have worked for you on Seaview, since it is the same as Seaside.  On our times on Seaside when we used it, it worked well.  When the door opens, if you put your card or wristband on the reader/scanner and select your floor, the elevator took you there, regardless of what other floors were selected. 

Interesting discussion.

Main reason we like the YC is the ship in ship idea. One can use, enjoy and experience all the possibilities a big ship is offering. Including huge number of bars, restaurants, entertainment and parties. And on MSC especially an international mix of people.

On the other hand you go on your "YC ship " and enjoy an excellent service and the dignified environment there and escape from the crazyness if you like . For us for example the TSL gets a bit boring in the evening.

Obviously all depending of what people expect from there cruise experience.

I find this outrage very strange.  These are two different concepts.   MSC is not a luxury cruise line while Explora Journeys is trying make its mark in the luxury space.  It is like comparing Royal to Silversea.  The YC is a great concept and we enjoy it very much.  However, the YC is an enclave in a large ship that can have in excess of 5000 passengers.  It is great to have you own restaurant and pool but at times it can be confining to some.  On a luxury cruise line, there are significantly less passengers and the staff to guest ratio can almost be 1:1.  

Before it went under, we sailed a couple times on Crystal.  The service and experience surpassed what we received in the YC.  The advantage at the end was the whole ship was a yacht club and it was more freeing to us.  

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, paddy1112 said:

Including huge number of bars, restaurants, entertainment and parties. 

Specialty restaurants are not included (free of charge) in YC price on MSC Cruises..

All restaurants on Explora Journeys (Explora 1) are included.. they have 6+ restaurants including a steakhouse, pan asian, mediterranean, international, concept restaurant and all-day-dining restaurant.

The more I research the Explora Journeys concept the more I am tempted to give it a try.. I like the newer larger ships (sailed on Seaview, Seashore, Meraviglia) but enjoy the personal attention and level of luxury on smaller cruise lines/ships.

At $7,000 (2 person) for a 9-Night Caribbean cruise Explora Journeys can be successful.. if they deliver what they promise..

Edited by SirWolf

17 hours ago, Nashna said:

We loved sailing in the Yacht Club.  Now, we are looking at the Explora 2023 sailings and I'm underwhelmed.  The increased cost for the basic Explora suite is way more than Oceania, Regent or Viking for similar accommodations. We can actually upgrade to concierge accommodations on those lines for a lower price point.  One of the features we loved about being in the Yacht Club was the experience of access to a special quiet oasis, civilized boarding and disembarkation.  There is no way that we will pay the outrageous price increase to upgrade from a regular suite on Explora to one of the premium categories.  Understandably, those premium categories are going to come with enhanced boarding and experiences that the regular suites do not.  Since we have no interest in feeling like steerage passengers, MSC Explora is not going to be on our cruise options in the future.  

Get over yourself.  The Yacht Club doesn't want you either.

1 hour ago, mscdivina2016 said:

We had a woman in top sail lounge who kept using the term "Gen pop". Took me a minute to figure out she was referring to general population in a prison.

Was upset because to go ashore there was no separate exit for YC. 😂

What, no separate exit?  I bet they arrive at the port the same time as the poor passengers.  Not for me.

5 hours ago, mscdivina2016 said:

Has your key card ever expressed you up to YC.  I have tried many times on multiple ships and it never worked.

Yes. Had a grand old time on the Seaside. Asked our butler , last week on Seashore, if her key card had the power to over ride and express us. She said not at the present time. Then she said to hand her my key card to see if the Royal Suite might be given this privilege. I did and she waved it underneath and then pressed the desired deck number. I imagine that there was not the correct response from the elevator key pad and we had to wait like everyone else.

6 hours ago, MsTabbyKats said:

Some of us can afford those luxury suites, but think it's a complete waste of money.  

Whether it is a waste of money or good value is obviously down to personal preference.  To me, a waste of money is sailing outside of YC, dealing with crowds and potentially higher exposure to health related issues, and some ( not all) Carnival type cruisers. My wife would often come home from a cruise with bronchitis and other respiratory illnesses.  Since traveling in Celebrity Retreat and YC, no such issues (touch wood).

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, SirWolf said:

Comparing MSC Seascape and MSC Explora 1

• Caribbean

• December 2023

• Miami to Miami

-> 7-Nights: Seascape YC $5,238 ($748/night)

Gratuities NOT included

Wi-Fi NOT included

Suite 269 sqft

-> 9-Nights: Explora 1 $7,000 ($778/night)

Gratuities included

Wi-Fi included

Suite 301 sqft

.. seriously considering to book Explora ..

I think it is like comparing Apples to Komquats!   WiFi is included for those who book the Yacht Club but that is really not a major issue.   You are trying to compare a "ship within a ship" on a huge mass market cruise ship to a relatively small Luxury Line/ship.   While at this point we can only speculate about Explora I would assume it will be comparable to other luxury lines such as Seabourn, Silverseas, Sea Dream, etc.  When I cruise on a luxury line it is a completely different kind of experience than being in the Yacht Club.  I think some MSC Yacht Club fans might not like a smaller ship luxury line while others will love it.  Luxury lines are typically not very child/teen friendly as they have few amenities and facilities for kids.  So folks who cruise in the YC with kids might want to carefully consider before they book Explora until it is clear how they will deal with kids.  Luxury lines tend to have better cuisine than we get on MSC (even in the Yacht Club).  When we think of MSC we think of pizza,  gelato and pasta but when we think of Seabourn we think of Caviar.  

When you cruise in the YC, MSC does a pretty good job in creating an atmosphere that is separate and distinct from the non-YC.   On a luxury line there is usually not much of a pecking order and everyone is treated somewhat alike.   My own experience with the luxury lines is that our fellow passengers have been the nicest folks we have met on any cruise line (and we have been cruising for over 45 years).  Most folks who cruise luxury lines seem to be comfortable with themselves and do not try to impress others with their situation in life or on the ship.  It is just one big group of happy cruisers (most with a lot of travel experience) who enjoy cruising with other like-minded folks.  The funny thing about luxury lines is that we have run into no snobbism whereas you will find that on most mass market lines.  

Hank

13 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

The funny thing about luxury lines is that we have run into no snobbism whereas you will find that on most mass market lines.  

"Snobbism", I prefer the less pejorative 'elitism'. We prefer traveling in suite venues away from classless bumpkins, that wear shorts to the dining room. Stopped 20 years ago eating at tables with others, as others have bad table manners, stopped eating at self service buffets for the same reason. Prefer a luxury cabin to 'hole up in' away from the 'maddening crowd'. More than once we have had to leave venues where others sit down and start coughing not covering their mouths. Do like the shows of the mega lines. Miss the Home Lines Atlantic, Royal Viking, Stella Solaris, Marco Polo, Orient Lines, but those were the port intensive cruises, so no need for entertainment. Would take intensive tours, get back to ship, shower, have dinner and collapse in bed. Looking now for service, time together, alone.

21 minutes ago, morpheusofthesea said:

"Snobbism", I prefer the less pejorative 'elitism'. We prefer traveling in suite venues away from classless bumpkins, that wear shorts to the dining room. Stopped 20 years ago eating at tables with others, as others have bad table manners, stopped eating at self service buffets for the same reason. Prefer a luxury cabin to 'hole up in' away from the 'maddening crowd'. More than once we have had to leave venues where others sit down and start coughing not covering their mouths. Do like the shows of the mega lines. Miss the Home Lines Atlantic, Royal Viking, Stella Solaris, Marco Polo, Orient Lines, but those were the port intensive cruises, so no need for entertainment. Would take intensive tours, get back to ship, shower, have dinner and collapse in bed. Looking now for service, time together, alone.

I do get the gist of your message.  And we agree with much of what you say in terms of avoiding certain folks on any cruise ship.  But, DW and I have so much fun socializing on any cruise that we are not prepared to hide in our suite/cabin or avoid dining at larger tables with other folks.  When we look back at over 45 years of extensive cruising some of our fondest memories are about the fantastic folks we have met in the bars and MDRs on our cruises.  On our most recent Seabourn Cruise (27 days) the nightly crowd at the Observation Bar was simply fantastic.  We met many wonderful folks, dined with quite a few, and looked forward to a couple of hours socializing at that bar every evening.

Yes, we have met some folks on cruises that we hope to never see in this life or the next.  But for the most part, the folks we have met have been interesting, good fun, and make travel interesting.  

I will agree with you about missing the Marco Polo (from Orient Cruises days).  It is on that vessel that we made many friend from the UK (several of whom visited us here in the USA) a few of which are still good friends  (others have unfortunately passed).  But even on the Marco Polo we do remember some interesting entertainment although there were certainly no Production shows.  But a few good singers are all it takes to make me a happy camper.  I was saddened to see that CMV sent the Marco Polo off to the scrap yard.

As to Home Lines, we are too young (only mid 70s) to have an appreciation of that line.  But I do still remember my parents raving about their cruise on the Oceanic (around 66).

Hank

• Like 1