App - Won’t Take My Postal Code

DHP1

Help. The app won’t accept my full postal code. I had to use numbers instead. Any suggestions?  I selected Canada and Ontario. I try the desktop version and same problem. Thanks

Edited by DHP1

2 hours ago, DHP1 said:

Help. The app won’t accept my full postal code. I had to use numbers instead. Any suggestions?  I selected Canada and Ontario. I try the desktop version and same problem. Thanks

Remove the app and reload it again.

I had the same problem.  It goes as far as to refer to a 'postal code', but only accepts numbers🙄.  The app is very poorly done. We also have 6 people in our party according to the app, despite there only being 4 of us!!🤣.  It's laughable at this point.  I'm just planning on showing up at the port and getting things done there.  Not worth the ongoing frustration🤷‍♀️

• Like 3

I think what I did was the way card companies say to enter for the US (like for gas pumps)

Enter the numbers only from your postal code, followed by 00.

Example M5W 4E6 would be 54600.

The card companies will recognize this as good for credit verification.

29 minutes ago, Jmox84 said:

I had the same problem.  It goes as far as to refer to a 'postal code', but only accepts numbers🙄.  The app is very poorly done. We also have 6 people in our party according to the app, despite there only being 4 of us!!🤣.  It's laughable at this point.  I'm just planning on showing up at the port and getting things done there.  Not worth the ongoing frustration🤷‍♀️

22 minutes ago, blizzard44ca said:

I think what I did was the way card companies say to enter for the US (like for gas pumps)

Enter the numbers only from your postal code, followed by 00.

Example M5W 4E6 would be 54600.

The card companies will recognize this as good for credit verification.

I had to try this.  I had put off testing it as I know I added an extra card ages ago.  Also, my main card was already part of my profile (I think) when MC App launched.  Suffice to say this used to work.  So, I am betting that the screen was redesigned and some programmer who ought to be looking for their next job only programmed it for numerics.  Tapping a letter is simply ignored.  Totally dumb.  At least Canadians can get around it by following the gas station trick.  But I am thinking the card is likely not validate real-time either.  I just shake my head at so many little things that just show lack of competence, and also total lack of testing and quality control.  What do they expect Canadians, Brits, and Aussies to do?  (I know there are more, but those are large market segments for PCl.

ETA:  To add to their ineptness, I entered a long string of numbers and it was accepted.  Know anyone that has a numeric postal code of ~15 digits?

Edited by Steelers36
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

After reading this, I’ve realised this may be the issue we’re having with our kids’ information not being accepted on the app for a CC payment method onboard. I’ll give it a try with just a bunch of numbers in the postcode box. Is it 5 digit numbers for US zip codes (I’ll need to put the correct amount of digits in)?

3 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

I had to try this.  I had put off testing it as I know I added an extra card ages ago.  Also, my main card was already part of my profile (I think) when MC App launched.  Suffice to say this used to work.  So, I am betting that the screen was redesigned and some programmer who ought to be looking for their next job only programmed it for numerics.  Tapping a letter is simply ignored.  Totally dumb.  At least Canadians can get around it by following the gas station trick.  But I am thinking the card is likely not validate real-time either.  I just shake my head at so many little things that just show lack of competence, and also total lack of testing and quality control.  What do they expect Canadians, Brits, and Aussies to do?  (I know there are more, but those are large market segments for PCl.

ETA:  To add to their ineptness, I entered a long string of numbers and it was accepted.  Know anyone that has a numeric postal code of ~15 digits?

The really sad part is that there are libraries that they could use for this functionality.

• Like 1

I'm just taking a stab at this but are you populating the zip code field with the automatic function on your phone?

If so, it may add an additional space character at the end of the 5 digits & the app won't accept any more than 5 digits.

Try entering only the 5 digits manually or backspacing it after it populates.

6 hours ago, caribill said:

Yes, 5.

1 hour ago, MissP22 said:

I'm just taking a stab at this but are you populating the zip code field with the automatic function on your phone?

If so, it may add an additional space character at the end of the 5 digits & the app won't accept any more than 5 digits.

The basic US Zip is 5 digits, but you could enter all 9 (no dash).  You can enter >10 digits and it doesn't complain.  But the correct answer is the 5-digit code.  Stupid, I know.

I wonder what next I’ll find wrong with App. I’m not to worry about the App, I’m more worry what will go wrong while on the ship. 
I always thought you test the App before you releasing it. I guess not. 

Edited by DHP1

2 hours ago, MissP22 said:

Good suggestion however, doesn’t work. 

1 hour ago, SargassoPirate said:

You gotta love IT wonks.  Remember the Y2K problem?

I used to work for a restaurant company when Y2K was coming up.  The IT Director insisted that the entire IT department be on hand until well past midnight that evening to handle whatever crisis unfolded.  Of course, NOTHING happened and every one of us missed the New Years' event of our lifetime because we were sitting at our desks waiting for a panic phone call that never came!

11 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

Obviously, no error or field checking taking place at all.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, brisalta said:

The really sad part is that there are libraries that they could use for this functionality.

That's certainly true! It's not rocket science. It's just lack of thought processes.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, DHP1 said:

Good suggestion however, doesn’t work. 

It worked for me in the other fields but now I have other problems that I can't solve. It's like a never ending puzzle that make me try every few days thinking I can resolve it. 

Luckily the medallion app works fine once aboard the ship. 

Canadian here - we had no issues entering postal codes for our March 2022 cruise.   Can you input the info on the website?   Is it possible you are not on the Canadian version of the website? 

If you are logged into your account on the website, then you goto your cruise, then try to input info does it work there? 

They may have implemented an update to the website and app that are preventing you from doing this currently. 

You can always add your credit card and finish checkin at the pier before you get on the ship.  You have to pick up your medallions at the pier anyways as they don't ship to Canada.    

2 hours ago, Rick&Jeannie said:

I used to work for a restaurant company when Y2K was coming up.  The IT Director insisted that the entire IT department be on hand until well past midnight that evening to handle whatever crisis unfolded.  Of course, NOTHING happened and every one of us missed the New Years' event of our lifetime because we were sitting at our desks waiting for a panic phone call that never came!

I had a ham radio license and was working the county 911 dispatch center as backup communications.  

20 minutes ago, CruisinFinsUp said:

Canadian here - we had no issues entering postal codes for our March 2022 cruise.   Can you input the info on the website?   Is it possible you are not on the Canadian version of the website? 

If you are logged into your account on the website, then you goto your cruise, then try to input info does it work there? 

They may have implemented an update to the website and app that are preventing you from doing this currently. 

You can always add your credit card and finish checkin at the pier before you get on the ship.  You have to pick up your medallions at the pier anyways as they don't ship to Canada.    

I log in my Princess account however, your not able to enter any details because it refers you to the App.  You can’t even add your credit card information there. 

• Like 1

I dared use the web version 2 days ago--it wouldn't take my email. I think it's because it has a dash (-) in it. I guess they don't check for special characters either! I had to use my DHs email address.

On a related note, we have 2 cruises scheduled starting late October. I had read that platinum members could book dining times before final payment. So, off I went to make reservations. I was able to do it for the 2nd, later cruise but not for the first one. I couldn't even access the earlier cruise booking. I did all this in the web version. Just to complete my frustration, I tried using the app on my phone. Couldn't even find where to make dining reservations, for either cruise. I was, however, able to order Medallions for both 🥴

I'm not banking on those dining res actually sticking but it was a great way to kill an hour.

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, Rick&Jeannie said:

The reason that occurred is because people like me spent several years investigating software applications for y2k problems, fixing the problems and testing the software.

• Like 3

DH spent an hour and 45 min with a Medallion rep this afternoon. She was lovely,  but there wasn't much she could help us with. This is our first Medallion class cruise, and at this rate will be our last. No one should have to go through this kind of aggravation. Our personal information was wrong. Missing middle names. Wrong address, and postal code. Couldn't get the save button to work, couldnt add our CC because it wouldn't accept the postal code. And on and on. She said she sent the problem "up the line" and check back in 5 business days. Yeah, right.

And the frosting on the cake? Suddenly DH had 2 different Captain's  Circle numbers!! WTH? At least they were able to fix that. 

For 2 cents I'd just abandon the app and do everything at the port. But there are excursions and specialty dining we'd  like to book. ARRGH!

46 minutes ago, mom says said:

DH spent an hour and 45 min with a Medallion rep this afternoon. She was lovely,  but there wasn't much she could help us with. This is our first Medallion class cruise, and at this rate will be our last. No one should have to go through this kind of aggravation. Our personal information was wrong. Missing middle names. Wrong address, and postal code. Couldn't get the save button to work, couldnt add our CC because it wouldn't accept the postal code. And on and on. She said she sent the problem "up the line" and check back in 5 business days. Yeah, right.

And the frosting on the cake? Suddenly DH had 2 different Captain's  Circle numbers!! WTH? At least they were able to fix that. 

For 2 cents I'd just abandon the app and do everything at the port. But there are excursions and specialty dining we'd  like to book. ARRGH!

Wait until you complete the ArriveCAN app. This app is more difficult than Princess app.