Testing COVD Positive On Board

Empehi

12 minutes ago, Empehi said:

Does anyone know if you test positive for COVID on board, will you have access to Paxlovid from the Celebrity medical staff?

Thanks for any input?

e

From my own experience and others I've talked to.   No      I specifically asked and was told they do not have it onboard.  

6 minutes ago, Empehi said:

I wonder if you can get Paxlovid prescription free in Mexico?

e

It's possible  as in Mexico for $ a doctor might write a script, but the Cost is about $500 per treatment.      I asked my doctor for a prescription in case I came down with it and said he was unable as it could only be prescribed after you test positive. 

43 minutes ago, gerelmx said:

with the Current Onmicron variant you don't need this drug

Wrong. You may not need it, or you might. You can't correctly make a blanket statement like that and maintain any degree of credibility.  The US president has the new variant and is on paxlovid. My SIL is a very healthy, fit, fully vaccinated 40 yo and was so sick that he was prescribed it. The degree of illness experienced varies according to a myriad of variables.

• Like 8

This isn't really the place for a clinical debate, but I am not surprised to hear it is not available onboard, and if someone fitting the risk profile it is intended for tests positive onboard, I would have thought the priority would be to get them onshore where they can be assessed and treated appropriately.

• Like 1

My take on this then ..... if all the Celebrity medical staff will do is give you Tylenol and quarantine you and perhaps your cruise mates, then I can see people bringing their own Tylenol and not seeing the medical staff on the ship if they have a little cough, or slight fever, etc. I'm sure that is what many people will ( or are) doing .....

e

1 hour ago, Empehi said:

My take on this then ..... if all the Celebrity medical staff will do is give you Tylenol and quarantine you and perhaps your cruise mates, then I can see people bringing their own Tylenol and not seeing the medical staff on the ship if they have a little cough, or slight fever, etc. I'm sure that is what many people will ( or are) doing .....

e

Most are absolutely doing just that, not self-reporting, and that is totally understandable due to the fact that everyone is vaxxed and boosted and the strains of 2022 are mild for the vaxxed and boosted, for those that are not immunocompromised.  Bring your free at home self-test in case you have a sore throat so that you can see for yourself if you have covid,  and your motrin just like you would anyway - everyone should have a cruise med pack no matter what.  

Edited by lexmiller
additional verbiage
  • Like 1

I'm on the tail end of Covid, started feeling lousy last Monday, tested negative Tuesday & Wednesday.  Went to the clinic on Thursday and was positive.  Feel fine today, it was like a bad cold.  Just used OTC meds and nothing was prescribed.  My wife is negative so far, but the issue is we're supposed to fly for an Alaska cruise on 8-3-22 so I'm hoping I'm negative before then

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, wallyh4184 said:

I'm on the tail end of Covid, started feeling lousy last Monday, tested negative Tuesday & Wednesday.  Went to the clinic on Thursday and was positive.  Feel fine today, it was like a bad cold.  Just used OTC meds and nothing was prescribed.  My wife is negative so far, but the issue is we're supposed to fly for an Alaska cruise on 8-3-22 so I'm hoping I'm negative before then

Call the clinic where you had the positive test and ask for a certificate of recovery. In the meanwhile, get some OTC Ag tests. I wouldn’t bother testing myself for at least 5 more days, but I would start testing myself everyday. Hopefully you will be negative by 10 days after you first started feeling bad, but you may need that COR

5 hours ago, Empehi said:

e

Independent of COVID I’ve always brought my own Advil, Pepto and a couple of other OTC meds, besides they are uber $$ on board.

Before we did a Rhine River cruise I contacted our Dr and asked if he could get us one of the antiviral drugs so we didn’t have to mess around trying to get them while on a cruise. He had no problem getting is the Molnupiravir drug which we didn’t need but will be taking it on a cruise next month just in case.

My primary care doctor has agreed to provide paxlovid to take with me when I'm traveling/cruising for 7 weeks.  I will need to stop cholesterol med for those 5 days but that's all.  I'm old and it's a crapshoot how my immune system would respond.  I'm not brave or confident enough to go it alone so Paxlovid will be in my carryon.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, goofysmom99 said:

My primary care doctor has agreed to provide paxlovid to take with me when I'm traveling/cruising for 7 weeks.  I will need to stop cholesterol med for those 5 days but that's all.  I'm old and it's a crapshoot how my immune system would respond.  I'm not brave or confident enough to go it alone so Paxlovid will be in my carryon.

Some MD's will do this.  Many others will not.  In general the prescribing guidelines say that you need to be infected with early symptoms.  

23 hours ago, gerelmx said:

with the Current Onmicron variant you don't need this drug

I'm sure that could be true to some,  but I know in California if you are over 65 they give it to you immediately at the test centers if you test positive.  I figure if it's good enough for Joe Biden it's good enough for me.

9 hours ago, goofysmom99 said:

Mine turned me down explaining that it was under Emergency FDA approval for use for only people who tested positive and off label prescription use was prohibited.   He is however a Doctor that is a stickler for following the rules.

Edited by Jim_Iain

My doctor is taking care of it because he doesn't want me to be in the middle of the Atlantic on a TA and not have access to it if/when my self-administered tests register positive.  I genuinely appreciate his overriding concern for my welfare.

• Like 2

I agree.  I was able to get some.   While my doctor is one to follow the rules there are plenty on line Virtual Doctors that will prescribe after a Zoom Doctor Appointment.    My local CVS filled the script in less than 30 minutes.

5 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

I agree.  I was able to get some.   While my doctor is one to follow the rules there are plenty on line Virtual Doctors that will prescribe after a Zoom Doctor Appointment.    My local CVS filled the script in less than 30 minutes.

Jim, I want to be sure I understand. So, you actually got a supply of Paxlovid to take with you after your doctor declined to provide it. How did you find a virtual doctor that would do that for you? I have a request in to my doctor but I'm fairly sure he'll say he can't do it.  I would feel much better if I had it as a backup plan. Thanks!

Edited by IWillGoAnywhere26