The Fleet Report and Daily for Monday July 25th, 2022

richwmn

Today is Culinarians Day, National Chili Dog Day, and Threading the Needle Day

Fate is like a strange, unpopular restaurant filled with odd little waiters who bring you things you never asked for and don't always like.--Lemony Snicket

Meal Suggestion for today - Portobello Ropa Vieja
Drink of the Day - Game Day Peach Sour
Wine of the Day - Chamisel” “Stainless” Chardonnay, California
Destination of the Day - Pichilingue (La Paz), Mexico

Eurodam

Juneau, Alaska 13:00 - 22:00

Koningsdam

Tracy Arm Fjord, Alaska - Juneau, Alaska 09:00 - 09:30

Nieuw Amsterdam

Hubbard Glacier, Alaska 15:00 - 18:00

Nieuw Statendam

At Sea Destination Qaqortoq, Greenland eta 07/27

Noordam

At Sea Destination Ketchikan, Revillagigedo Island, Alaska eta 07/26

Oosterdam

Gozo Island, Malta, Mgarr Harbour 08:00 - 15:00

Rotterdam

At Sea Destination Flam, Norway eta 07/26

Westerdam

At Sea Destination Juneau, Alaska eta 07/26

Zaandam

Bergem, Norway 08:00 -

Zuiderdam

Ketchikan, Revillagigedo Island, Alaska 10:00 - 18:00

Volendam

Rotterdam Waalhaven Ukraine Relief

0725Atlantic.thumb.png.1d2fd8a9802f548f5a900846ae48b6a8.png

0725Pacific.thumb.png.f6ca0bca06f4d1375ccfb09e4113d38a.png

• Like 28
  • Thanks 10

Thank you for the Daily Fleet Report!

I love Ropa Vieja, so I'm looking forward to the recipes.  I've never made it, but it's a very popular dish in Cuba and I used to go there at least twice a year  before 2020. 

• Like 24

Thank you for the Monday report, Rich.  I think I'll pass on the days but love the Snicket quote.  I'm a bit surprised I have not been to LaPaz.  Was it a place of refuge for BHB during the shutdown?  I think I'll pass on the meal.  My alternative is Citrus Delight with Amaretto, Chilled Anjou Pear Soup and Penne Pasta with Grilled Chicken Breast, my first ever dinner on the Elegant Explorer July 25, 2011.

Followup today with my surgical office just after lunch.

Today’s care list:

ger_77 losing cruising friend
Mamaofami son with covid
Heartgrove brother discharged but rapidly declining
Marshhawk DH awaiting biopsy 7/26
The locks at Ijmuiden
From the rotation:
Amy adjusting to widowhood and children
Status of St. Louis Sal (7/1), msmayor (5/20) and JAM37 (7/7)
Strength and healing for Kazu
Tana with persistent problems

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Championship for Tigers
House found for Lindaler DS
Seasick Sailer in Hawaii
Cruisin Single with sister to 7/28
Aliaschief in Scotland until 8/13
Welcome home Sea Viewer
Durango Scots shelter nearing completion
Volendam caring for refugees
0106 covering menu suggestions until 8/1
dfish (Rotterdam 7/17 to 7/31) and Gail&Marty (10/15), Vict0riann  (Nieuw Statendam (7/16 to 8/9) and Cat in My Lap (Zaandam to 8/13)  at sea
Vacationing Staff Captain Sabine - Our first female Staff Captain and HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

• Like 26
  • Thanks 9

Good morning.  Thanks for the Fleet and Daily Report.

We had a good rain yesterday and overnight.  We really needed it, I hope the crops are happy.

It's cooler this morning and not as humid.🙂

Interesting days.  I try to be a good cook and I appreciate good chefs.  Not a fan of chili dogs.  My eyesight is getting worse and trying to thread a needle is difficult.

Thought provoking quote.

Looking forward to seeing the recipe for today's meal suggestion, hubby is a big fan of portobellas.

The drink sounds good, hope the wine is too.

Prayers for everyone.

Hope everyone has a wonderful day.  Stay safe.

• Like 25

Good morning to all of you and good afternoon to me. The gals went on the Hadrian Wall tour and I stayed home slept in when a tummy issue convinced me not to chance going on a ten hour excursion. Not sure why but I have difficulty posting pictures here on CC but not other sites.

Like I stated last night our aggressive day of sightseeing took it’s toll on us yesterday and after dinner at The Steak and Mussels we returned to our hotel and literally crashed.

Other then today’s hiccup to the itinerary  we have had a great time. Edinburgh is now one of the most visited cities in the world and the crowds reflect that. We couldn’t help wondering how many folks with Covid have come near us.

Here are some pics of Edinburgh Castle along with a pic of the National dish Haggis. Thanks for the report and May all of you Lads and Lassies have a great day.

image.thumb.jpeg.054c6f5d42ba92987a5854dba416bf9c.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.b7dc95ebbdfcf8a3a4ca6b3b8488e2bf.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.79e7e687838307ae95e3ae5c01502b50.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.276fbda3c08cf8bb2027b10e2aab3437.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.d163285edc84fd6e896b68a6a09349b6.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.fa9e7b2b5b19ef6cfcb0303d2cb875cc.jpeg

• Like 29
  • Thanks 8

It is believed that the Sephardic Jews from the Iberian Peninsula invented ropa vieja because they could not cook on the Sabbath, so they prepared this hearty stew a day in advance. Ropa

vieja means old clothes, referring to an unusual story saying that a poor man once shredded and cooked his clothes because he could not afford to buy food. As he prayed over the pot, a miracle happened and turned his clothes into a flavorful meat stew.

Today, ropa vieja is a staple across the Caribbean and Cuba, with tweaks and modifications in the recipes throughout the regions.

Typically, ropa vieja, ingredients are shredded beef, onions, peppers, and tomatoes.  Today’s meal suggestion replaces the beef with portabella mushrooms.   

A key ingredient to ropa vieja is sofrito, which means “to lightly fry,” forms the aromatic flavor base for a range of Spanish recipes. It's a fragrant blend of herbs and spices used to season countless dishes.  It is easy to find in the grocery store or you can prepare your own.

This recipe uses jarred sofrito. https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/portobello-ropa-vieja/

Portobello Ropa Vieja

This recipe contains instructions for making sofrito at home. https://www.onegreenplanet.org/vegan-recipe/mushroom-ropa-vieja/

Mushroom Ropa Vieja [Vegan]

I was looking for a recipe that used an InstaPot or slow cooker.  The only ones I could find were for the beef version of ropa veija.  I think it would work if you substituted portabellas.  https://myheartbeets.com/ropa-vieja/

Ropa Vieja

• Like 28
  • Thanks 10

Thank you for today’s Report & Daily, Rich! Another lovely morning here. Gym, house cleaning, Bindi walks and pool time - that is today’s agenda. 

Thank you for keeping our lists, Roy! Morning Dailyites. Three cheers for Ren & the Tigers! It was brutally hot in the Orlando area this weekend, so their win is extra special. 

This is the last of the memes the girls picked out. 😎

3B00FABF-6E58-4247-BBE0-86EDE0B7F23B.jpeg.43476633934654989eff1e1c3dd4a2cd.jpeg

Prayers for all who need our support. Cheers to all who are celebrating! Stay well everyone!

Chamisal “Stainless” Chardonnay

I used the 2019 vintage for my info, since that seemed to be the most widely available and reviewed. Note the first word’s spelling correction, if you go hunting for this. I would love to sip this one. It is widely available and has very good - excellent reviews. Prices start at $14.99.

Winemaker Notes

The 2019 exudes aromas Lime zest, green apple, passionfruit and a light floral note. The palate showcases the ability of a chardonnay to be crisp but retain opulence without the influence of oak with a surprisingly round entry followed by long, linear acidity. The finish is clear with a hint of salinity. 

WE90 Wine Enthusiast

Years ago, this stainless bottling was one of the first to establish the now common style. It offers aromas of poached pear and guava peel, then finds a tense structure on the palate where warmer tones of papaya, cherimoya, pineapple and honeysuckle combine.

Edited by cat shepard
  • Like 27
  • Thanks 4
  • Haha 5

Good morning friends!  Thank you @cat shepardand @rafinmdfor your mention of Ren's team's win in Orlando.  Yes it was very, very hot down that way and I think it was best for DH and I to sit home and watch the games.  After the games, ceremonies were held and the Golden Ball award was given to Ren as top scorer in the entire tournament and he was one of the Best 11 players in the entire tournament.  That means they give an award to each best player in a position, Ren was one, and three other Tigers won Best 11 for best in their position.  So it was a win, win day.  I heard before the plane took off last night Ren is walking with a limp because of a sore calf.  Someone nailed him there but during the game he ran on adrenaline and it didn't affect him until afterwards.  I'm sure he is getting treatment at home now for it.  His Mom was upgraded to First Class and she gave Ren her seat and sat in the back.  Dad was with him up front of course.  00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLDDrvltoiHQ3WKcMAwCUE_VZV51t4MhjbEwRNyGscOgg?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1658749133

Above is Ren's Scottish coach, Barry and Ren with his Best 11 award, his Golden Ball award and medal for winning the tournament.🏆

I think we are heading out this morning to get food and run errands.  First time out in a week!  So have to hurry a bit.  Thanks Rich @richwmnfor the Daily!  I like all the days, culinarians, chili dogs and threading the needle which could mean more than one thing.  It is also Hire a Veteran Day so three cheers for Veterans!  The recipe looks good but we would not be able to use mushrooms because DH has an allergy to all except button mushrooms.  Thanks Tina @0106for presenting the recipes today.  The port of Pichilingue, Mexico is not a new one.  It was last posted Nov. 27, 2021 and I have not been there before.  Thank you for all who share photos later.  And prayers for all on Roy's Care list and anyone else we know needs prayers.  A big salute to all on the Care list!  Enjoy your cruises and try not to catch that virus.  It's out there waiting for an unsuspecting human to walk by.  Bruce @aliaschiefI know haggis must taste better than it looks, but if I ate that I would have tummy troubles too!  😉

DD has decorated her celebration tree for Back to School!  She starts back Aug. 10 which is only two weeks from Wednesday.  She has to prepare her room for the school year before the kids begin classes.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLPY9aEHd-Esg5hr5O4lClaUnDnu4gHHWpfyYq5WwzmNg?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1658750215

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJ2aS6w2ZfRq35gJM6OwVYw4xJ2Twu75QF_jizMkB1ZdA?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1658603212

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIfc3VxVe0t8EyPpqo-rN-hrnHjCyIZu59oV2we_kMG9A?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1658603212

Back later!

• Like 30
  • Thanks 6

Good morning !  An early start for me as the wifi is going to town without me.  DF has to get lottery tickets.   I am taking a pass it is 56 degrees here and will remain cool so that pile of gravel is my project today.  Thank you for the Daily Reports! @0106 thank you for the recipes the last one with beef looks tasty. The chardonnay is a new one for me and if I see it I will give it a try.  Prayers for the 2 US families who lost sons fighting for Ukraine and all people in Ukraine and the refugees and those who support them. Prayers for all on our group who need them. 🙏

Sadly I have a bird that can tolerate Monarch larva. Two have disappeared on this same stand of milkweed. 

IMG_20220724_092019955_HDR.jpg

• Like 26
  • Thanks 2

Good morning  to all.We have not been to the port and celebrate the culinarians. I can still thread a needle  since I am very near sighted but arthritic fingers make it interesting. Chili dogs are avoided.

Our neighbors returned home yesterday afternoon so we missed our chance for a private swim.I heard the teenagers on the street in the water and realized later that our teenager was there as well. It was 

fun while it lasted. 

Tonight we are getting  takeout for dinner as I think it is going to be the worst day of the heatwave. I will save the recipe for another day as it would be perfect in the Instapot.

Be careful out there

Terry

• Like 26

5 minutes ago, ottahand7 said:

Prayers for the 2 US families who lost sons fighting for Ukraine and all people in Ukraine and the refugees and those who support them. Prayers for all on our group who need them. 🙏

Thank you for always mentioning the people of Ukraine who seem to be on the news less these days.  Very sad that 2 more U.S. soldiers were lost in the fight.  Prayers for them all.🙏

• Like 21

Game Day Peach Sour cocktail:

Ingredients
3 parts Maker's Mark® Bourbon
1 part DeKuyper® Peachtree® Schnapps Liqueur
Splash Sour Mix

Instructions
Combine all ingredients in a shaker. Shake without ice. Pour over ice in glass.

Screen Shot 2022-07-25 at 8.23.39 AM.png

• Like 19
  • Thanks 6

Happy Monday Dailyites!

I have not had any "zip" since that booster on Tuesday.  I think even my sense of mischief has taken a break.

@0106  Thank you for the great recipes today.  They  look a whole lot more appealing than @aliaschief's Haggis.

I have a few questions for you all- one is regarding Kodiak.  BFF and I finally hooked up with excursion ideas for next May.  How far from the town does the ship dock?  Is this a town where we can walk off the ship and be in town, or are we docked outside of town?   And if we tender in to Sitka, the same question.  We are on the Nieuw Amsterdam if that matters.

And now for my main question today- most of my cruises have been 7 days long, and except for the Alaska cruise we took back in 2016, we have for the most part driven to our embarkation port.  So suitcase size has not been a problem.  

My question is, how much do you pack, or what do you pack for a 14 + cruise.  The two guys are hemming and hawing about having to pack fancy outfits for dinner (me too actually) to see if we can actually pack all in a small suitcase, and not have so much to carry around or pay extra for the luggage.

I managed Alaska last time in a small suitcase, but we were only gone for 11 days, this time we are going to be gone for 20.  I need suggestions, on how to pack light, and stay warm in May in Alaska.

Thanks!

eed0c2d3125d5570f9f93b91f8442843.jpg

• Like 23
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

Thanks for our Monday Daily, Rich.

Interesting collection of days - out of the 3, I think I will celebrate  Culinarians Day 😉

Today’s quote is ever so true.  Yum on today’s meal and on the wine.  A win win!

907A7363-8AA9-4A6B-9055-502E606EFA00.thumb.jpeg.aaf6b200a5d10299b7a367f77d12110f.jpeg

A “cool” breeze arrived last night and it sure felt like rain - nope - guess I should have watered 😔.  Another heat & humidex warning for today with t-storm warnings for later.  Seems like a repeat weather report for the last 4 days!

@marshhawkthere’s been little difference in what I pack for a 10 day cruise or a 30 day one.  Use laundry, mix and match, etc 😉   The only complication happens when there is a mix of weather (hot to very cold) on the same trip.

The dahlias are happy with the weather though.  More of them have started blooming 👍 

E91D03F2-F80A-4A8C-BBD0-A553D4C25505.thumb.jpeg.e2447619d9913c06086d6252420d69dc.jpeg

Not sure what is on the agenda today - it will depend on the weather - hot and humid or t-storms 😉 

ABA163F9-D106-443C-9EBD-137E1A1C0EFD.thumb.jpeg.a27d7311885d11c40fe661fbf869b370.jpeg

Prayers for everyone on the Care list & for those that need them and a 🥂 to those on the Celebratory / Shout Out list.

Have a great Monday everyone !!!!!

A5CA1829-13BE-4BD2-864F-AA18FDBA88A8.thumb.jpeg.9b195003cb5a81fc61726203bb16b2f1.jpeg

Stay safe & please don’t forget your 😷 

• Like 32
  • Haha 2

Good afternoon.

It is sunny and 70°F here.

I have been out doing sales calls for 6 hours so I'm a bit late today.

Thank you for today's daily and fleet reports Rich and Roy for the various lists.

Interesting days and quote.

I will give the food and drink a miss but the wine sounds nice.

Prayers for everyone who need them.

I am sitting in our garden relaxing after a busy day.

I hope everyone is well and enjoying today.

16587535226137725203350300869952.jpg

Screenshot_20220725_134620.jpg

• Like 26

2 minutes ago, marshhawk said:

how much do you pack, or what do you pack for a 14 + cruise.

We never check a bag, regardless of the length of the trip.  Our biggest problem is shoes.  I take flip flops, walking shoes, dress shoes. My DH takes a Teva hiking shoes and a black Rockports that double as his dress shoe.  DH takes tan and black Dockers to wear to the MDR.  He takes 2 long sleeve dress shirts and three ties.  On "dressy" nights he wears Dockers, shirt, tie.  Other nights , he will wear Dockers and a polo.  I have many knit dresses that roll up and take a minimum amount of room.  We wear wrinkle free, quick dry athletic clothing during the day; 9 tops and 3 bottoms; mix & match, darker colors.  Don't forget your raincoat. We roll our clothes.  Wear your bulkiest clothes on the plane. I use the body wash to do a bit of laundry in the sink.  If necessary, I'll pay for a bag of laundry, better than checking a bag.  

On our last two week cruise, we travelled with another couple.  We had two rolling carry ons and two backpacks.  They had 4 checked suitcases, two rolling carry ons and two backpacks; they couldn't even carry their own luggage.  During the trip, they borrowed things from us; she forgot hair ties/scarves and he forgot socks.  We had everything we needed and did not need to do any laundry except under garments and socks.

• Like 24
  • Thanks 2

For travel that includes both hot and cold conditions -- summer travel to Alaska, the Faroe Islands, the Alps, or going between home and the airport for winter travel to a warm climate -- I rely on a packable down-alternative vest that I add under a rain jacket. People often say to take fleece for cold conditions, but fleece is less packable because it doesn't compress at all.

• Like 19
  • Thanks 2

The last time I was in Alaska, I had my vest, a flannel lined rain jacket, two sweaters, two pairs jeans, socks, (there were times I was still cold) but while I had one dress, and a skirt, and fancy leggins with a fancy top, I'm not sure that I can get away with that on a formal (gala) night in the MDR.  

I like the idea of doing some laundry, but I am pushing the BFF to add the laundry package.

I will be wearing compression stocking/socks on the flights this time. I will be wearing my walking shoes, take one pair of dressy sandals to dine in, and I'm planning on getting another pair of Bear paws slides for the cruise.

Back packs of a decent size sound good.  If it's not too big, then I can just stick it under my feet.

How dressy to you get?  

• Like 20