Ruined.

chromered7

Glad you had a great time😀. The Celebrity Suite life is sweeet!

I booked a SV Suite as a surprise for our first post-pandemic cruise on the Silhouette last September. I was concerned I had made a mistake as DW has already been ruined with Business Class flights thus i cannot book any cruise holiday special deals with TA as they usually include economy flights. It could have been expensive, although the dog would have been happy as it would have curtailed our travels.

We loved the suite and the service from out host/butler. I really enjoyed Luminae and the food/service but she preferred the MDR meals and the ambiance of Blu. Never really 'got' the Retreat Lounge and preferred the livelier bars elsewhere. The Retreat would have been great as am not that keen on the Pool Deck but the weather was not that great and it was a port intensive cruise.

I think if the price was right on an E-class I would try it again but I think Aqua or SV cabins and the MDR for us in the future depending on ship &/or price

We have a couple of Oceania and a Princess cruise booked in the coming year. Mainly for the itineraries which can be Celebrity's weak point.

• Like 1

On 7/30/2022 at 8:59 AM, chromered7 said:

We have recently got back from our Italy, Croatia and Greece cruise on Celebrity Reflection as Aft Suite guest’s and it has totally ruined how we want to cruise in the future. The level of service has been the best we have ever experienced and the commitment from all the of the staff has been amazing. Our embarkation was seamless and being directed to the VIP Lounge for Champagne set the tone for the whole cruise. A big thanks to all the crew and staff for making this an unforgettable cruise.

We were ruined in a similar way with our aft Sky Suite on the Equinox last year, our first time in the Retreat and now we can never go with anything less. We leave tomorrow for Rome to Board the Reflection on Friday in a Sky Suite. We will never cruise in anything less than a sky suite with Celebrity, just like we now fly in only business class for overseas flights after our first one in 2018. BTW after our Equinox experience we canceled an Oceania cruise to book this cruise on the Reflection and saved a lot of cash doing so.

Edited by terrydtx
  • Like 2

I started cruising in a backwards way...suites, larger ones on Royal Caribbean.  We eventually switched to Celebrity and had a few cabins of family and friends and not everyone wanted to book suites.  I like to have us all in line with one another but the biggest thing was a separate restaurant. Sure, the suite guests didn't have to dine in Luminae but there definitely seemed like there would be instances it would be a pain to have suite guests and non-suite guests.  Well, I gave in and booked concierge cabins... I felt I needed something 'extra'.   Let me tell you, I spent so much time researching videos and cabin specs and square footage and measurements.  I honestly thought I wasn't going to be able to handle it.  😅   Well, it turns out I was ok.  It took some getting used to but I was fine.  So much so that I continued to book Concierge cabins and then the most recent we went to AquaClass and then said, AquaClass for now on. 

However,  I am booked on the Beyond and I do not like the idea of the infinite veranda at all. Personal opinion.  I know I haven't experienced it and people love them but I love a true, real balcony so we booked suites.   I think the Retreat experience is a big draw on e-class as well.  I have a feeling that going back to suites is going to ruin me again.  😅

I fly first class and can't fly coach anymore.  I've been ruined with that for years.  I say I need it for the luggage allowance.  That is true but I like everything else that comes with it. 😉

Whatever anyone is happy choosing for their cruise is up to them.  We all like different things, have certain preferences and are happy with many things.  It's important to enjoy vacation, however we each see fit.  That's what's nice about having multiple choices when we are planning.  

🍹

• Like 2

On 7/30/2022 at 2:39 PM, LGW59 said:

Gee, I'd hate to see how you deal with a real "problem"

What problem?  Booking a suite is a choice, not a problem.  If you do it, you may find it difficult going on a cruise in a regular cabin.  Some people just enjoy whatever comes their way.  For some, any cabin will be good.  For others, once in a suite, they won’t be happy in anything else.  How you spend your money on whatever vacation you pick is your choice.  You are not ruined.

15 hours ago, Surfguyxxx said:

Suites are certainly addicting.  Glad you had a great cruise.

Our last cruise was in a Neptune on HAL, this time a Concierge on Celebrity, basically just a stateroom with a few perks.  It is going to be a let down I am afraid, but better than an inside.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, PinkSandGirl said:

However,  I am booked on the Beyond and I do not like the idea of the infinite veranda at all. 

🍹

There are certain markets I would get an infinite veranda.  We did a December cruise on RCCL Tampa to the Caribbean and we hardly used the balcony.  I think only once when we were in cooler temperatures in Tampa.  The next morning we were out at sea and it was hot as hades and humid.  We could only stand to be on it for a minute or two.  While you don't get the nice fresh air a balcony offers, think of it as an air conditioned balcony.

6 minutes ago, ScottC4746 said:

There are certain markets I would get an infinite veranda.  We did a December cruise on RCCL Tampa to the Caribbean and we hardly used the balcony.  I think only once when we were in cooler temperatures in Tampa.  The next morning we were out at sea and it was hot as hades and humid.  We could only stand to be on it for a minute or two.  While you don't get the nice fresh air a balcony offers, think of it as an air conditioned balcony.

I would look at one if I could see it, just for curiosity, but I wouldn't want to book it.  If I never cruised before or wasn't used to balconies I may be more open to trying one.  I can see the advantage if the climate you're sailing isn't conducive to utilizing the balcony or people who never use their balcony.   I've stayed in hotel rooms that are full glass at the end.  It seems like that to me, just the ability to open it for air.

I sail with other people so we get our balcony dividers opened up.  I enjoy the balcony.  I am out there even when it's hot.  I agree with you though, if it's insanely hot, I am not out as often, but still go out.  I love to go out at nighttime too.  

People do like them. Celebrity for some reason likes the idea.   It's interesting...if they are so great, why don't the suites have them?  😉

🍹

On 7/30/2022 at 9:59 AM, chromered7 said:

We have recently got back from our Italy, Croatia and Greece cruise on Celebrity Reflection as Aft Suite guest’s and it has totally ruined how we want to cruise in the future. The level of service has been the best we have ever experienced and the commitment from all the of the staff has been amazing. Our embarkation was seamless and being directed to the VIP Lounge for Champagne set the tone for the whole cruise. A big thanks to all the crew and staff for making this an unforgettable cruise.

I am totally ruined by the cruise experience no matter what cabin category.  Other types of vacations rarely are as satisfying.

• Like 3

On 7/31/2022 at 5:52 PM, Shawnkat said:

We board the Reflection in an aft suite in 3 weeks.  Hope our vacation is “ruined” just like yours.  😉 

After reading the comments on this post the reality for us is that compromise will loom large in our future cruise window. We already had a cruise booked for 2023 and all the suites are booked so we are hoping for a cancellation or a bid on a suite, we are definitely ruined.

15 hours ago, PinkSandGirl said:

I started cruising in a backwards way...suites, larger ones on Royal Caribbean.  We eventually switched to Celebrity and had a few cabins of family and friends and not everyone wanted to book suites.  I like to have us all in line with one another but the biggest thing was a separate restaurant. Sure, the suite guests didn't have to dine in Luminae but there definitely seemed like there would be instances it would be a pain to have suite guests and non-suite guests.  Well, I gave in and booked concierge cabins... I felt I needed something 'extra'.   Let me tell you, I spent so much time researching videos and cabin specs and square footage and measurements.  I honestly thought I wasn't going to be able to handle it.  😅   Well, it turns out I was ok.  It took some getting used to but I was fine.  So much so that I continued to book Concierge cabins and then the most recent we went to AquaClass and then said, AquaClass for now on. 

However,  I am booked on the Beyond and I do not like the idea of the infinite veranda at all. Personal opinion.  I know I haven't experienced it and people love them but I love a true, real balcony so we booked suites.   I think the Retreat experience is a big draw on e-class as well.  I have a feeling that going back to suites is going to ruin me again.  😅

I fly first class and can't fly coach anymore.  I've been ruined with that for years.  I say I need it for the luggage allowance.  That is true but I like everything else that comes with it. 😉

Whatever anyone is happy choosing for their cruise is up to them.  We all like different things, have certain preferences and are happy with many things.  It's important to enjoy vacation, however we each see fit.  That's what's nice about having multiple choices when we are planning.  

🍹

We are also booked on the Beyond out of Rome. Do you have any worries/concerns with the number of COVID cases increasing? We just got off of the Allure of the Seas, there were 10 of us, all family, and unfortunately 7 of us came down with COVID. Wondering your opinion. Thank you!

On 7/30/2022 at 9:59 AM, chromered7 said:

The level of service has been the best we have ever experienced and the commitment from all the of the staff has been amazing.

A big thanks to all the crew and staff for making this an unforgettable cruise.

Great post !!

We could have written the exact same statements after every one of our 17 cruises on Celebrity-- mostly in a cabin on the " hump " on an S class ship.

( I have joked about the time our Waiter forgot to bring my 3 shrimp cocktails at the same time ).

LOL-- I thought only " criticisms " are within the Guidelines of cruise Critics ??

3 hours ago, gelormbi said:

We are also booked on the Beyond out of Rome. Do you have any worries/concerns with the number of COVID cases increasing? We just got off of the Allure of the Seas, there were 10 of us, all family, and unfortunately 7 of us came down with COVID. Wondering your opinion. Thank you!

Hi!  I sail out of the USA in a few months,  not out of Rome.  I haven't kept up with cases in Rome/Europe.  What has crossed my mind is since the Beyond will be coming over on it's Transatlantic, would that have an impact on cases.  ???   I have no idea.   

I guess one 'comforting' fact is my family I'm traveling with just had it.  I was around them, definitely exposed, and did not get it.   My boyfriend,  the same for him, didn't get it.  So, those of us traveling together  will have recently had it or exposed for sure but didn't get it.  Perhaps we will all continue to have immunity/evade it???    You may be in the same scenario since you recently had it.   ???

I admit I am a bit more concerned now then I was this time last year preparing for my first post shutdown cruise.  That cruise, contact tracing had me concerned.  This Beyond cruise, I will be aware like I am in every day life and hope and pray we don't get it and/or get contact traced.  😉

I hope you and your family are fully recovered! 

Enjoy your Beyond cruise!  😃

🍹

Edited by PinkSandGirl

On 8/2/2022 at 4:08 PM, PinkSandGirl said:

Hi!  I sail out of the USA in a few months,  not out of Rome.  I haven't kept up with cases in Rome/Europe.  What has crossed my mind is since the Beyond will be coming over on it's Transatlantic, would that have an impact on cases.  ???   I have no idea.   

I guess one 'comforting' fact is my family I'm traveling with just had it.  I was around them, definitely exposed, and did not get it.   My boyfriend,  the same for him, didn't get it.  So, those of us traveling together  will have recently had it or exposed for sure but didn't get it.  Perhaps we will all continue to have immunity/evade it???    You may be in the same scenario since you recently had it.   ???

I admit I am a bit more concerned now then I was this time last year preparing for my first post shutdown cruise.  That cruise, contact tracing had me concerned.  This Beyond cruise, I will be aware like I am in every day life and hope and pray we don't get it and/or get contact traced.  😉

I hope you and your family are fully recovered! 

Enjoy your Beyond cruise!  😃

🍹

Thank you!

• Like 1

On 7/30/2022 at 12:46 PM, techteach said:

I’ve always cruised in suites, but could only get a veranda for our first cruise on Celebrity. 194 sq ft. Yikes! Yes, I’m totally spoiled. I’m hoping Move Up will get me into a Sky Suite or a Celebrity Suite. Crossing my fingers and checking twice a day. 20 days to embarkation.

Just got moved up to a Sky Suite today. We depart on the 19th out of Vancouver!

• Like 3

4 hours ago, JLMcruise said:

Just got moved up to a Sky Suite today. We depart on the 19th out of Vancouver!

615.00 - all our other bids stated expired PH, RS, CS.  The Sky suite still stated pending for 2 days.We placed a strong bid (it was on the low side of strong).

On 7/31/2022 at 6:17 PM, Smmessineo said:

Perhaps I worded it poorly. I just mean someone new to Celebrity might read reviews and comments that are " suite or stay home" or "once you suite you'll never go back"   and get the impression that Celebrity is crap if you're not in a suite.

I read a lot of MSC reviews that stress to  book the  "Yacht Club" or it sucks.. I've never sailed on that line, so I don't know the truth of it. But I do know that Celebrity is NOT that way. 

We sailed on MSC YC due to a great deal. On MSC the gap between YC and regular is much bigger than on Celebrity, especially regarding food. Their pooldeck is crammed and loud so having the YC deck was a huge relief. For us it will only YC on MSC.

• 1 month later...
On 7/30/2022 at 12:26 PM, canderson said:

Yup.  You've done it now, Denny.  That corner S1 mentioned above is for a TA and for the same reason.  We booked ourselves the RS, so they can come and visit if they ever come out of their own cabin!  At-sea days count.  It's probably why the suites sell out on TA cruises so quickly.  You get the hard-core types who have already been 'ruined'!

I know of what you speak!  In 2007, we booked a CS "for one time only" to celebrate our 5th anniversary.  Then, a number of cruises later (still in CS),  we had the opportunity to upgrade to RS for $500 above a CS. (Yup, stayed in RS until Covid shut everything down.) Then, post Covid, to celebrate our return to cruising and to celebrate our 20th cruise last September, we took a PS (price was incredibly low at the time we booked it!). Yup, RUINED!!   🙂

• Haha 1

I enjoy the ‘feel’ of a smallish SR….kind of what you’d expect on a ship. I enjoy the full ship experience, and not interested in a Ship Within A Ship Retreat section to keep me isolated from the rest. Understand that is what others may want, but me, I want to enjoy the full ship venue. I enjoy all 3 of the Celebrity Classes and what they have to offer. Ive never found any of the cruises crowded or noisy because of others….musics Yep, but not ‘us’. 

I dont need the Retreat because of SR size or to be isolated from the rest of the ship. I’m trying a Suite on a TA because of the extended sea days, and want to just see what the Luminae is like, and the Retreat Lounge experience. I miss the Elite Happy Hour when it was held in the Sky Observation Lounge when you could meet and talk with others who are a bit more experienced cruisers and in most cases overall enjoy the Celebrity venue. Much less chance of running into the whining and complaining.

During my earlier cruise experience I stepped into a hot tub and turned to the guy next to me and exclaimed how wonderful all of this was….he started on how he hated it, was here because his wife insisted on it and all he wanted to do was be back with his buddies golfing. I nodded, got up and moved to another hot tub! And listened to the others exclaim how happy they were being there.

So enough of my ‘concern’ of Never Going Back…..Ive already booked standard SRs for the following cruises and will do just fine….I hope!!!

den

• Like 1

On 7/31/2022 at 7:04 AM, Smmessineo said:

Agreed!  I respect those who love suites, but the " once you've gone suite you'll never go back" posts bug me a bit. I think it can scare off new people  who don't know any better. I have found that,  at least as far as Celebrity is concerned , the cruise experience is exquisite whether you are in an interior stateroom or a suite.

Agreed. My sentiments exactly.

I agree with being spoilt by the suite life. Same as I no longer fly economy. 

Our first cruise we had booked a balcony & were upgraded to a SS. Spoilt ever since usually in PH or equivalent on Disney.

We are in a CS (low bathtub) on our next cruise & Aqua for the one after as I couldn’t justify the price for RS or PH & no accessible suites left.

I may be a convert to Aqua which will be a win as can cruise more! 

I love sailing suites because of the special service, especially when I travel alone. I enjoy having the same waitstaff every time instead of being lost in the shuffle in the MDR. Dinner in Blu in Aqua for same reason.

The Retreat lounge is nice when you want to grab a snack and avoid the craziness of the buffet and the Retreat deck is pure heaven on a crowded sea day.

• Thanks 1