Paxlovid(covid pills), will it be on the Celebrity or other cruise ships? We sail on Canada/NE cruise 8-31-22.

TomTN

48 minutes ago, TomBeckCruise said:

Our cruise begins and ends in Boston.

Will the ship's Dr. have it or would one need to wait until the next port.  I understand airlift is possible if an illness is severe enough.

No but we’ve got some great hospitals here if you think you need it before cruising, perhaps your Dr can arrange for you to get some before your cruise?  MGH is very close to the cruise terminal.

10 hours ago, gpension said:

I just tested positive on the Solstice last week and was given paxlovid by the ship's doctor shortly after the test results came back. There was no charge.

We have a friend that got Covid, and went to a local walk in clinic. She tested positive and was given the pills by the clinic. 

She was two days into Covid symptoms when she went. 

It appers that any medical professional should have personal medical information before prescribing Paxlovid. 

3 hours ago, TomBeckCruise said:

We have a friend that got Covid, and went to a local walk in clinic. She tested positive and was given the pills by the clinic. 

She was two days into Covid symptoms when she went. 

It appers that any medical professional should have personal medical information before prescribing Paxlovid. 

Same here in California -  If you test positive they give you Paxlovid immediately if over 65 or in a high risk group.

14 hours ago, gpension said:

I just tested positive on the Solstice last week and was given paxlovid by the ship's doctor shortly after the test results came back. There was no charge.

Interesting to hear.   You are the first report I have read that was given Paxlovid.   To me this is a positive sign.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, wrk2cruise said:

Are people getting prescriptions filled before sailing just in case?   Is insurance paying?  I thought Paxlovid was over $500 per course.

My doctor turned me down.  I have Kaiser and they are very conservative and follow rules.   He said that Paxlovid was under emergency approval from the FDC which requires a positive test to prescribe.   He said they do not permit off label use.

• Like 4

21 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

My doctor turned me down.  I have Kaiser and they are very conservative and follow rules.   He said that Paxlovid was under emergency approval from the FDC which requires a positive test to prescribe.   He said they do not permit off label use.

You have a good doctor IMO.

• Like 4

15 hours ago, gpension said:

This seems to be a first.  Anybody else have this experience?  And no charge?

20 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

Interesting to hear. I am 68 and had very mild covid. I do have a few mild health issues too. I was given Paxlovid by Kaiser right away.  And there was no co-pay or cost involved.

But - I did have covid rebound from the Paxlovid so I had covid twice in 3 weeks. Tons of fun.

Just now, adstz said:

Interesting to hear. I am 68 and had very mild covid. I do have a few mild health issues too. I was given Paxlovid by Kaiser right away.  And there was no co-pay or cost involved.

But - I did have covid rebound from the Paxlovid so I had covid twice in 3 weeks. Tons of fun.

Well under the current rules you would definitely qualify.

7 minutes ago, adstz said:

I was asking for Paxlovid to bring with me on my upcoming cruise Prophylaxis basis.   At the time I did not have Covid.  

I also had a rebound and when I was tested positive using eMed they directed me to an after test questionnaire and a prescription was set to my local drug store within 10 minutes.     I was over 4 months since I had it the first time.   Both cases really mild.   Incredible because I always wear masks inside and 4X vaxed.

19 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

This seems to be a first.  Anybody else have this experience?  And no charge?

It is a very interesting post. I am following one on the Regent board where they have Paxlovid available onboard, but apparantly charging $800 for it.

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

I like him.   I do have to say that he does follow the rules but is always there even via email when I have a question. 

I like docs who follow the rules. I'd like to think that after four years of intensive science pre-med + four years of medical school + additional training, doctors might know more than I do about a few things such as disease etiology, pathology, treatment (pharmacology, toxicology) and also are familiar with the state of my own health, current medications, etc.

But hey, I didn't sleep as a Holiday Inn Express last night, so I am not feeling like a doctor. (old commercial....)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I'll add that in addition to the paxlovid, I needed to isolate at a hotel since it was not drivable distance to my home. Celebrity is reimbursing me $250 per day for my lodging and $100 per day for my food. They also arranged for my transport to the hotel in seattle free of charge.

Before taking Paxlovid, it is important to read the possible interactions with medications you are taking.  There were two medications that I had to  temporarily discontinue using because of potential negative effects.  Should not be taken before reading the literature and assessing risk factors.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, TeeRick said:

You have a good doctor IMO.

( Sorry TeeRick- meant to quote the reply before you, not yours) 

Off label suggests using an approved medication for a diagnosis not approved by the FDA, or in a different dose or route of administration. It wouldnt be "off label" if you are in a high risk group and only took it if you tested positive. 

We were on a land trip to South Africa earlier this year and our PCP did give us each a prescription for Paxlovid- glad he did as, in spite of being up to date with vaccines, DH tested + on the required return to US test.

It is currently "free" ( i.e. the $530 paid for by the federal government) for those who are in high risk groups who test positive.