Trading in Mini bar set up

Ron the Rev

In the days of yore you could trade in a mini bar set up for 2 coffee cards with 15 speciality punches and as much normal coffee you wanted. If and how does this apply to the Medalion. Dw and I are both elite and are booked into a full suite so we get 2 set ups, love to in trade 1. So question is how to do it. Thanks. 

Same way as in the past, call Room Service.

Instead of a physical card, the "card" will be part of your on board profile and when you present your Medallion to get a regular or specialty coffee, the server will know you have the "card."

You are still limited to the 15 specialty coffees and unused "punches" expire at the end of your cruise.

It takes a bit for the charges to catch up.  We traded on embarking, we were charged for coffee that day, coffee card charged to the account the next day, and coffee came without charges.  Refund of coffee card charge and coffees from day one, didn’t occur until day 3 of the cruise.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, amajaa said:

If you trade in your mini bar do you get a coffee card each (2 of us both Elite) or just the one to share?

You get 2 coffee cards for 1 mini bar.

I got ours added to our medallion by the next day.  

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Ron the Rev said:

In the days of yore you could trade in a mini bar set up for 2 coffee cards with 15 speciality punches and as much normal coffee you wanted. If and how does this apply to the Medalion. Dw and I are both elite and are booked into a full suite so we get 2 set ups, love to in trade 1. So question is how to do it. Thanks. 

When you walk up to the coffee bar, they see your coffee package automatically on their screen.  Usually done by the next day. When you tell RS you want to switch 1 mini bar for 2 coffee cards..ask if it could be done right away. Your concierge could make this happen quickly too, if you want to.

• Thanks 1

I will add an "editorial comment."  Princess has moved to a highly automated system with an App that handles all kinds of issues.  Why on earth do they not have a place on the App where folks can simply do this trade-in option prior to the cruise.  The process of trading-in for a coffee card (now all done electronically) is a royal pain for both the passenger and Princess.  Just getting through to Room Service the first or 2nd day of the cruise can be difficult and then those poor folks have to send somebody to each cabin to remove the mini-bar items.  Life would be simpler if it was done in advance (via the app) and they do not even stock the mini-bar.

Hank

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, PacnGoNow said:

You get 2 coffee cards for 1 mini bar.

I got ours added to our medallion by the next day.  

Was it one coffee package on each medallion?  I hope so, but your wording is not clear.  In the prehistoric days it did not matter because you got two physical cards that you could use any way you wanted.

Edited by Jersey42

Just now, Jersey42 said:

Was it one coffee package on each medallion?  I hope so, but your wording is not clear.  In the prehistoric days it did not matter because you got two physical cards that you could use any way you wanted.

There were 2 of us, so yes we each had a coffee package loaded to our accounts.

Same as prehistoric days (lol)

• Thanks 2

31 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

I will add an "editorial comment."  Princess has moved to a highly automated system with an App that handles all kinds of issues.  Why on earth do they not have a place on the App where folks can simply do this trade-in option prior to the cruise.  The process of trading-in for a coffee card (now all done electronically) is a royal pain for both the passenger and Princess.  Just getting through to Room Service the first or 2nd day of the cruise can be difficult and then those poor folks have to send somebody to each cabin to remove the mini-bar items.  Life would be simpler if it was done in advance (via the app) and they do not even stock the mini-bar.

Hank

Wouldn’t that be nice?  However, given all the problems with the App, they can add that at a later date.  I want them to fix all the glitches and synchrony issues first.

JMO

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Jersey42 said:

2 coffee packages per mini-bar. If you're a solo cruise, you would get both. A couple can choose to have one for each or (probably) 2 for only one person.

3 hours ago, JF - retired RRT said:

2 coffee packages per mini-bar. If you're a solo cruise, you would get both. A couple can choose to have one for each or (probably) 2 for only one person.

I will be booking my next cruise as solo. So if I call RS to exchange my mini-bar for the coffee card, I will get 2 coffee packages (a total of 30 specialty coffee) loaded to my Medallion?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, chubbypiggy said:

I will be booking my next cruise as solo. So if I call RS to exchange my mini-bar for the coffee card, I will get 2 coffee packages (a total of 30 specialty coffee) loaded to my Medallion?

Correct. Then depending on how much coffee, etc. that you drink...you could share with some new besties.

Some here on CC would offer to buy coffee for a friendly face that happened to be standing in line. Maybe a nice thing to do for a newbie.

Just now, JF - retired RRT said:

Correct. Then depending on how much coffee, etc. you drink...you could share with some new besties.

Some here on CC would offer to buy coffee for a friendly face that happened to be standing in line. Maybe a nice thing to do for a newbie.

Thank you.  

On my past cruises, we always booked 2 persons in a cabin, and always traded our mini bar for 2 coffee packages (1 pkg on each of our medallion).  The other person doesn't drink coffee/tea, so every time we are at IC, if there was another person in line without a coffee package, we have always told the IC staff to also deduct their coffee from our cards.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, JF - retired RRT said:

3 hours ago, chubbypiggy said:

Thank you.  

On my past cruises, we always booked 2 persons in a cabin, and always traded our mini bar for 2 coffee packages (1 pkg on each of our medallion).  The other person doesn't drink coffee/tea, so every time we are at IC, if there was another person in line without a coffee package, we have always told the IC staff to also deduct their coffee from our cards.  

What I would like to see is an option to trade 50% of the mini-bar (half each of alcohol and non-alcohol) and get ONE coffee package in exchange.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

What I would like to see is an option to trade 50% of the mini-bar (half each of alcohol and non-alcohol) and get ONE coffee package in exchange.

This is getting way to busy. I suppose you also want to choose which items to trade out

8 hours ago, Hlitner said:

Hank

I agree!!! On the Enchanted in March, I tried several times to call room service, with no success. We had the drink package anyway, so I just gave up and actually just left most of the mini bar items when we left. Yes, you are right. Life would be simpler if it was done in advance.

Janet

54 minutes ago, sun&sea said:

I agree!!! On the Enchanted in March, I tried several times to call room service, with no success. We had the drink package anyway, so I just gave up and actually just left most of the mini bar items when we left. Yes, you are right. Life would be simpler if it was done in advance.

Janet

Next time, if you can't get through to room service, leave a note for your steward. I made a list of the items I wanted to exchange for other items and left it on the desk (planning to call later in the day) and when I came back from lunch the exchange had been made. If you have a good steward, he/she will do the contact for you.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, memoak said:

This is getting way to busy. I suppose you also want to choose which items to trade out

If this were to happen (and I doubt it will), all a guest would need to do is leave out 5 alcohol and 5 non-alcohol.  As it is now, we trade all alcohol for beer and all non-alcohol for sparkling water.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Likes2cruise said:

I'm still confused.  With the new Premier upgrade, is it still necessary to have a coffee card?  Or is that included in the new package???  Will probably exchange my minibar anyway as I have done in the past.

It's included 

1 hour ago, Likes2cruise said:

I'm still confused.  With the new Premier upgrade, is it still necessary to have a coffee card?  Or is that included in the new package???  Will probably exchange my minibar anyway as I have done in the past.

Unlimited specialty & brewed coffees are included with both the Premier and Plus packages. Trading your mini bar for coffee packages would be a duplicate waste. Better choice would be a bottle of wine that you can bring to dinner, or canned sodas. Bottles of wine and canned sodas are not coved by the fares. If you purchase wine by the bottle or canned sodas you will receive a 25% discount. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Likes2cruise said:

Are you on my cruise?  You can give one of your coffee packages to my wife.  Actually, I will trade you half of our mini-bar for one coffee pkg.  😉

• Like 1

On 7/31/2022 at 7:04 PM, Steelers36 said:

If this were to happen (and I doubt it will), all a guest would need to do is leave out 5 alcohol and 5 non-alcohol.  As it is now, we trade all alcohol for beer and all non-alcohol for sparkling water.

That's what I do as well, except I keep the two bottles of still water and keep refilling them.

1 hour ago, geoherb said:

That's what I do as well, except I keep the two bottles of still water and keep refilling them.

Gotcha, except I order the starter water pkg for $7 and that gives us 12 bottles to work with and refill.  I end up leaving one behind now and then and don't like to refill each one a ton of times.

• Like 2