Perfect Day - Coco Cay Beaches - Disappointed

2 hours ago, jp2746 said:

For those of you that snorkeled, where is the best place?  I didn’t realize you could snorkel from the shore there.  Now I’m really excited.  We will be there on Sunday. 

We also rented jet skis. I am hoping they let our 16 year old drive.  He was 15 when I booked. 

We have snorkeled off the first beach on Chill Island.  We went out towards the lifeguard stand out in the water.  There used to be a submerged plane out there but someone said it was removed.  We have seen fish and sting rays from that beach.  We have seen lemon sharks over in the area of the cabanas.

You can bring your own equipment if you want, you don't have to rent theirs.  They used to require you to wear a dive vest though and would let you use one for free.  We haven't snorkeled the last few times we have been there so not sure if they are still requiring them.

• Like 2

The last few times we stayed at Harbor Beach and not a rock in sight.  Very clean and protected from any waves.  You can lounge and see your ship.  Also, you could hear the music and noise coming from the pool section.

4 hours ago, pattycake08 said:

I was on the 7/25/2022 Inde of Seas sailing to Bahamas.  Our Stop at Perfect Day left me a little disappointed. I had been hearing over the last 2 years how they were building it up, but I was not impressed. I found out as we were leaving Perfect Day that there are actually 3 beaches on Perfect Day, that I was unaware of, Chill Island, South Beach & Harbor Beach.  We stayed on Chill Island which was full of seaweed & the ocean floor was very rocky.  Should we have stayed perhaps at either South Beach or Harbor Beach for a better Experience?  Also, was their a community free pool at Perfect Day that we could have went to, I didn't see one?

You were a few 2 minute walk away from the pool 

image.png.ff6781e00fe988710e0e0e81b8b32912.pngimage.png.0e3f82e1dfb15d6e5d022ad30b535a20.pngimage.png.fdb73fb55fb0daff63f713faf98a6235.pngimage.png.5a89a5344a14918595ee4327c4700f21.png

2 hours ago, jp2746 said:

For those of you that snorkeled, where is the best place?  I didn’t realize you could snorkel from the shore there.  Now I’m really excited.  We will be there on Sunday. 

We also rented jet skis. I am hoping they let our 16 year old drive.  He was 15 when I booked. 

Was there yesterday snorkeling all around the rocks on “chill island “ and was surprised by the large assortment of fish and stingrays.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, pattycake08 said:

I was on the 7/25/2022 Inde of Seas sailing to Bahamas.  Our Stop at Perfect Day left me a little disappointed. I had been hearing over the last 2 years how they were building it up, but I was not impressed. I found out as we were leaving Perfect Day that there are actually 3 beaches on Perfect Day, that I was unaware of, Chill Island, South Beach & Harbor Beach.  We stayed on Chill Island which was full of seaweed & the ocean floor was very rocky.  Should we have stayed perhaps at either South Beach or Harbor Beach for a better Experience?  Also, was their a community free pool at Perfect Day that we could have went to, I didn't see one?

yes a very large pool in the middle of island was very nice.

I guess you just go off the ship and made a left and did that area.  Next time go around the rest of the island as it is much better IMHO.

13 hours ago, jp2746 said:

Just stay along the rocks if you want to see anything -- there isn't a reef there, so the fish will be along the edges/rocks for protection.  

• Like 1

15 hours ago, S.A.M.J.R. said:

For the record, no one handed us anything.  

It can be easy to walk right by them.  There's usually one or two people doing it and if they get a lot of people at one time, you might have missed them, but they were there in the morning.  Now, if you get off the ship late, I doubt they stand there all day waiting.  

14 hours ago, jp2746 said:

Chill Island, by the rocks on the way out to the shipwreck is where my wife saw the shark last month. Then continue out to the shipwreck if you want. She saw stingrays and fish there.

There are lifeguards and staff members to ask who will be happy to direct you.

• Like 1

We, like the OP, were disappointed with Coco Cay, and we had maps.

We took the tram around the circuit. Loud music everywhere, a closed-in feeling along most of the route; very little opportunity to see beaches, pool, or other attractions.  We were one small ship in port, but it felt like being at a mall just before Christmas, with all the hype.  We completed the circuit, sat for a while in Adirondack chairs, then went straight back to the ship.

The photos above do not look anything like what we saw.  What we saw were the new adventure park rides and such.  Not my idea of a private island day.

We have probably been spoiled by visiting MSC's Ocean Cay.  Now that is an island paradise!  Just the sights and sounds of nature, visibility across the island, white sand, turquoise waters, palm trees, very few buildings, very soft music along a few of the walkways.

We are due there again in November, and will give it a try, but I have to agree that it was not the positive experience that we expected.

• Haha 4

58 minutes ago, shipgeeks said:

We, like the OP, were disappointed with Coco Cay, and we had maps.

We took the tram around the circuit. Loud music everywhere, a closed-in feeling along most of the route; very little opportunity to see beaches, pool, or other attractions.  We were one small ship in port, but it felt like being at a mall just before Christmas, with all the hype.  We completed the circuit, sat for a while in Adirondack chairs, then went straight back to the ship.

The photos above do not look anything like what we saw.  What we saw were the new adventure park rides and such.  Not my idea of a private island day.

We have probably been spoiled by visiting MSC's Ocean Cay.  Now that is an island paradise!  Just the sights and sounds of nature, visibility across the island, white sand, turquoise waters, palm trees, very few buildings, very soft music along a few of the walkways.

We are due there again in November, and will give it a try, but I have to agree that it was not the positive experience that we expected.

So you didn't actually go to (or even really see) any of the beaches or the pool, and you were disappointed? I'm sure I would be disappointed with Coco Cay as well if all I did was the tram ride.

• Like 10
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, geneparmesan said:

So you didn't actually go to (or even really see) any of the beaches or the pool, and you were disappointed? I'm sure I would be disappointed with Coco Cay as well if all I did was the tram ride.

These posts worry me as I have been to Labadee and love it and first time going to Cococay and have watched videos and it looks just as good. I am looking forward to the party atmosphere at the pool though and some beach time as well. It seems they were someplace else than what I have seen.

9 minutes ago, hazeleyes46 said:

I am looking forward to the party atmosphere at the pool though

No worries there. It looked like a virtual mosh pit in front of the DJ in the pool last month.

Not my thing but that's what great about Cococay. You can chill on multiple beaches, snorkel, party at the pool, or chill at the pool. We have a spot we like that's not too far from the pool bar and we can hear the music from a nice distance without being "in the party." Also a short walk to both a snack shack and Chill Grill, both of which I'm a huge fan.

When reading a post like this, remember one thing.  Many people only want what they want, and really are not happy that the private resorts are designed for everyone in mind.  Some people like swimming poos....some like the ocean.  Some accept the ocean is nature, others think nature should be cleaned up.  Some like the multiple eating areas, some just want a hot dog.  Some like the many places to get a drink, others would rather drink water.  Some have families, and love the water park, others think it is a disruption of their views.  Some like beach mats, others think it is a waste.  But the poster, like many think the island is just for them, and are against everything else.  

I don't like the water park, but if my grandkids are with me, than I would change my mind, and love the idea of it's existance for when needed.   It's perfect for everyone, if they take the time out to find the perfect area.

• Like 5

19 minutes ago, hazeleyes46 said:

These posts worry me as I have been to Labadee and love it and first time going to Cococay and have watched videos and it looks just as good. I am looking forward to the party atmosphere at the pool though and some beach time as well. It seems they were someplace else than what I have seen.

I'm going there for the first time as well next week. I have similar plans as you!

Maybe this thread is as good a place as any to ask - we are scheduled to be in port at 7am. What time would the pool start to get busy? Do I have to run out there at 7am if I want one of those water loungers?

1 minute ago, Joseph2017China said:

When reading a post like this, remember one thing.  Many people only want what they want, and really are not happy that the private resorts are designed for everyone in mind.  Some people like swimming poos....some like the ocean.  Some accept the ocean is nature, others think nature should be cleaned up.  Some like the multiple eating areas, some just want a hot dog.  Some like the many places to get a drink, others would rather drink water.  Some have families, and love the water park, others think it is a disruption of their views.  Some like beach mats, others think it is a waste.  But the poster, like many think the island is just for them, and are against everything else.  

I don't like the water park, but if my grandkids are with me, than I would change my mind, and love the idea of it's existance for when needed.   It's perfect for everyone, if they take the time out to find the perfect area.

I appreciate your acceptance of points-of-view, however I think the main thing here is OP's title claiming to be disappointed with the location is actually due to OP's own admittance of lack of preparation, and not with the actual location.    

• Like 3

15 hours ago, Oceansaway17 said:

yes a very large pool in the middle of island was very nice.

I guess you just go off the ship and made a left and did that area.  Next time go around the rest of the island as it is much better IMHO.

If they made a left, they would have seen Harbor beach and a possibly a glimpse of the pool area when crossing the bridge.

13 minutes ago, OCSC Mike said:

No worries there. It looked like a virtual mosh pit in front of the DJ in the pool last month.

Not my thing but that's what great about Cococay. You can chill on multiple beaches, snorkel, party at the pool, or chill at the pool. We have a spot we like that's not too far from the pool bar and we can hear the music from a nice distance without being "in the party." Also a short walk to both a snack shack and Chill Grill, both of which I'm a huge fan.

Yeah I want to experience both so it sounds like we can do that there 🙂

3 minutes ago, geneparmesan said:

Do I have to run out there at 7am if I want one of those water loungers?

The water loungers don't seem to stay occupied all day.  I've noticed that nearly all the people who use them will only stay there for 30-60 minutes before they get antsy to check something else out.  All around the island in the center of the pool is a bench below water level.  We like sitting there in the shade - close enough to be a short walk to the swim-up bar, but not amid the crowd.  The Oasis Lagoon also has some great people watching.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, reallyitsmema said:

We have snorkeled off the first beach on Chill Island.  We went out towards the lifeguard stand out in the water.  There used to be a submerged plane out there but someone said it was removed. 

They reduced the swimming area by moving the outer markers in toward the beach. The plane wreck is still there but now it is outside of the permitted swim area. There are a couple of partial shipwrecks with cannons you can view while snorkeling at Chill Island. 

P2070824.JPG

2 minutes ago, SG65CB said:

They reduced the swimming area by moving the outer markers in toward the beach. The plane wreck is still there but now it is outside of the permitted swim area. There are a couple of partial shipwrecks with cannons you can view while snorkeling at Chill Island. 

P2070824.JPG

A lot more fish at that now then we saw it last.  I don't remember the cannons though.  The plane had a ton of fish in lots of varieties.  Too bad that is outside the boundaries now.

• Like 1